• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL. They weren't that wide. I know I enjoyed threading the clothes down as a kid, making sure nothing was too thick to get stuck. That one went from the second floor to the basement. Once I told a friend to watch what was coming next. I just wanted to surprise her and dropped a hairbrush. It hit her in the face. I got in trouble.
The other one was on the second floor and went to the main level. It was not hard to get our kids to send their laundry down. They miss one in their own homes now.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
LOL. They weren't that wide. I know I enjoyed threading the clothes down as a kid, making sure nothing was too thick to get stuck. That one went from the second floor to the basement. Once I told a friend to watch what was coming next. I just wanted to surprise her and dropped a hairbrush. It hit her in the face. I got in trouble.
The other one was on the second floor and went to the main level. It was not hard to get our kids to send their laundry down. They miss one in their own homes now.
My kids never tried to send each other down the laundry shoot, I think it was too narrow. But, what they did like to throw down was clean laundry. I would wash their clothes, fold and put them in their rooms for them to put away. Instead of putting the clothes away they would put whatever they hadn't worn, back down the laundry shoot. When I realized I was washing clean clothes I decided it was time to teach both of them how to do their own laundry. They thanked me later on in life as they couldn't believe how many people they ran into when they went away to school who had no idea how to do laundry. :)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My kids never tried to send each other down the laundry shoot, I think it was too narrow. But, what they did like to throw down was clean laundry. I would wash their clothes, fold and put them in their rooms for them to put away. Instead of putting the clothes away they would put whatever they hadn't worn, back down the laundry shoot. When I realized I was washing clean clothes I decided it was time to teach both of them how to do their own laundry. They thanked me later on in life as they couldn't believe how many people they ran into when they went away to school who had no idea how to do laundry. :)
Love this story!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
To get back to Original thread, how is the progress of your new place and have you sold your house yet?

Well- this whole house selling thing seems to have a very karmic halo around it. These past 8 weeks we have been still waiting for things to come together with the buyers- the first people to see our home on 6/2. The contract has been signed this past week.

I must say this is the most stressful thing I have ever done. Really - I broke down in the attorney's office when he said we had to close on 8/26. We are going to be away the next two weeks at our timeshares and we really need the break away from all things "house". We requested a closing date of 9/30. As it is, the buyers have a contingency to lease their house and have to produce such lease by 8/15. I asked our attorney how we could even find a place to live and pack and move by then (with my husband working) and also why would we sign a lease BEFORE the buyers fulfilled the contingency to get their mortgage? He said not to go on vacation. Then I broke it to him that we are supposed to go to Utah in Sept- a trip a year in the making. He asked if we want to sell our house? We said of course but we really needed a respite from everything. We are totally exhausted.

There are so many logistics involved, we are still getting rid of stuff, I have been dealing with setting up the new bank accounts (for when we move to NH at some point) and proactively getting information for the procedures for when my husband has to apply for Medicare B and put in for his retirement the end of the year and my health insurance and so forth. This involved numerous phone calls to the SS office, hubby's employer and the bank's customer service number etc. Incredible how much time it takes. No one would believe it unless they were in it.

I think our atty is burnt out. He is turning 65 and he was acting very cocky and missed a few things in the contract that we had to point out to him. (He is taking care of his 95 year old mother and diabetic cat). What- we have to be paralegals now? Then when I tell him we need to move into a nice place- he - though apologetically- says "beggars can't be choosy". Is that what we are now? Beggars?!! This really put me over the edge! That - and when he said not to go on vacation is what made me start balling.

I have been in this house since I retired. I have been 'working' every day. No social life. Hubby is working and can't help/ I take it on. I have the time. But- I am now at a breaking point and need a diversion to refresh myself. So does hubby. He has not had a day off work all year so far.

Anyway, I am sure we will have to cancel our Utah trip and lose the airfare.:( Such a big disappointment as I put a lot of effort into the planning. Who knew any of this would transpire? That's life, I guess.

After we signed the contract I have been essentially a nervous wreck. I have this pit in my stomach at all times. I started to research potential rentals for us and make phone calls. Our realtor was no help. He told me to check out Craigs List and be careful. Yeah- right- thanks for that!

Our real estate atty who is a big real estate investor gives me the name of someone he does "business" with and the guy blew me off right away.

I did visit one complex that I really liked a lot (only 4 years old, great clubhouse, pool and gym- like a resort!) and they had 2 apartments available in Sept., but again, how could we sign a lease yet if our buyers have not met their mortgage obligation? No way would we do that!

So from the beginning I have been joking around that we should rent our buyers home. I have joked with our atty and our realtor, but neither one of them suggested we pursue it. So on Thursday I called our realtor and asked- why don't WE rent our buyers little 900 square foot home? This way we have a place to live, they can (hopefully) get their mortgage, and we get our house sold?

Our realtor makes like this is a novel idea. Said good thing I called as the buyers have 3 applications already. Ummm- really?

Well- the buyers agreed to rent us their home.

If the lease terms can be worked out, this wouldn't be a bad thing for us. The house will be cramped because of the way it is laid out, but it does have a one car garage and the second garage is a storage/workshop area. My husband says we can't worry about what our home will look like there aesthetically-- just deal with it the best we can. They have 1/2 acre of land. They take care of mowing. I guess we deal with the snow, though. There is a washer/dryer in the basement. I have asked our realtor about internet/cable and what the source of heat is. There is a propane fueled gas stove, something I am not used to. Hopefully my pots will be ok on it.

We have only seen the inside on line so I have requested when we get back from vacation that their realtor let us view it so we can see what will fit into it. Our goal is to store every thing in this house so as to avoid storage fees. This home will be a good downsizing test to compare with our NH home, which is 1100 square feet (plus the garage and basement). When I calculated our rental household budget, we were in the red $100 monthly (and that is even with having to stop my husband's IRA contributions) when taking into consideration storage fees, so this would eliminate that at least. Amazing that renting is so much more expensive than owning when there is no mortgage- even with our high property and school taxes).

The location of this little house is very rural- we are used to that! My husband can get to the highway ok from there and it is more south which should save a little travel time for him.

We have never rented anything so this is so very strange to us. Hopefully we can deal with it. It will be a long winter. This is a different community from where we live and will be an adjustment, though we are familiar with the towns around it, but they are much bigger than the hamlets where we live.

I am hoping to clear my head on vacation to be ready to deal with the second round of stress when we get back. Our car is packed with our son's stuff that was in our attic. When he comes to Vermont on Monday it is all going in his car and he can deal with it. Looking forward to seeing him and being in Vermont and at Smuggs. For the first time I have made no plans and intend to just hang out at the pool and around the resort and local environs. This whole house selling thing has zapped the joy and enthusiasm right out of me.

I am sure on vacation we will get calls from the atty and the realtor regarding the lease and the appraisal and all that stuff. So can't totally disconnect from it, of course. I just hope the buyers agree to the 9/30 closing date because 8/26 when we get back is too little time to arrange everything and pack and so on.

I did get an estimate form one mover and when we get back another is coming. I am wondering how to handle the move- being the buyers house would have to be empty for us to move in and our house, of course, has to be empty for them to move in. Hubby and I talked about having the moving company hold our stuff for like a couple of days and we go into a hotel. And after the closing, the buyers move out of their home and into ours so we can move into their house. My head is spinning and I am overwhelmed to say the least. This has been all consuming.

After the week in Vermont we go on to Pollard Brook in NH. And then we deal with the new house. To be continued in the following post as to not make this one any longer than it already is. LOL!

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it eases your mind, a propane gas stove is the same as cooking on a gas stove

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Bottom line for the NH home- THERE IS STILL NO FOUNDATION!!! I knew this from the beginning and my husband and the realtor poo pooed me when I said no way would the frame be up in August or the house be done in November. The builder has 3 homes before ours (and 2 so far after ours) to be completed. (he has 7 lots left). he was just finishing up the spec house now supposedly and closing.

Every time I call his realtor she says next week they will be pouring. She says they are at the mercy of the sub contractors. Blames the weather and all that. I don't buy it about the weather. Around where live it has been raining for 3 years and building going on all over the place. In fact- a house right near us started going up around the time we signed for the NH home and it is just about finished and it is a very large home! Large Hasidic communities going up in our counties here- high density housing - like there is no tomorrow! Sorry- I do not believe it is the weather.

Anyway- supposedly the original lot we were supposed to get has it's foundation. A resident there that I met on Facebook said she has seen cement trucks. The realtor told me our footings were being put in but never sent me any pics and I don't believe her. Yesterday I texted her and she said they intend to pour next week. Yeah- right. I hear that every week!

She said the builder ordered the trusses for our cathedral ceiling. She had me choose a ceiling fan for the living area (on Home Depot). I am working via email with the kitchen/bathroom lady there on design, which is taking a long time as she is busy. No matter- the house has no foundation so what's the rush?! After the kitchen upgrade price is determined I am sure I will have to whittle it down.

If the framing would have been up we could have done the electrical walk through while up there. Now we will have to do it on paper as we will be in the throws of moving when we get back and will not be able to just drive back up there- not to mention get a hotel and meals out and all that again- on a weekend only-hubby working. No way.

So- will meet with the realtor when in NH to go over it, then still have to pick the floor tiles for the bathroom and the carpet for the bedrooms and whatever else.

It would have been so great for the new house to be done 11/1 as hubby retires 12/31. We do not know what the lease terms for the NY rental for us will be, but we are willing to pay to break it if reasonable. No choice, really. I am sure our buyer's bank will want to see a one year lease- or maybe a 6 month one.

There are no short term rentals- or month to month rentals- around here. And- really- we have no idea when the house will be ready so how can we know what term lease we need?

(That nice apartment complex I visited- they had a straight out 2 month rent lease break policy, which I thought was very fair.)

I think I would feel better about selling our home and all the circumstances we have to deal with if I could see the prize. But right now I am very disappointed.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If it eases your mind, a propane gas stove is the same as cooking on a gas stove

LOL! I know that! Just I am used to electric. I never cooked on a gas stove.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
LOL! I know that! Just I am used to electric. I never cooked on a gas stove.
I can feel your stress from far away for having to deal with all the contingencies and leases and other stuff to worry about.

I was hoping that everything would fall in place but having to deal with building and a winter season in between makes everything so much harder.

I hope for you and your husband that your vacation will be relaxing and beautiful. Hang in there, mpumilia!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can feel your stress from far away for having to deal with all the contingencies and leases and other stuff to worry about.

I was hoping that everything would fall in place but having to deal with building and a winter season in between makes everything so much harder.

I hope for you and your husband that your vacation will be relaxing and beautiful. Hang in there, mpumilia!

Thank you. I just wish I could wake up and it all be over with. I am so miserable and teary eyed every day. I woke up today- the day of our vacation when I am usually elated- and seeing our beautiful property through all the windows- all the room we have- everything we worked so hard for all our lives- some of the things gone out the door now- I can't help but second guess the decision to sell. What- are we out of our minds? Now we have to rent someone's "starter" house? I feel like we are going backwards.

I am too old for this really. This house is like part of my skin. I know I have to shed it- but I don't have another shell to put on. Way out of my comfort zone and that is an understatement for a big time homebody.

Our attorney said we should be happy. Our house will be sold instead of languishing on the market through the winter and so on. I know that- on paper- but I am not feeling it.

I honestly do not know how people constantly move. I guess if you never put down roots and have a place to go to each time it is easier, but still.......There is so much involved. I guess unless you don't care or are oblivious to the details that should be handled. I don't get it.

I am either going to have a stroke or at the least get an ulcer at this rate. More of my hair is falling out.

My wine is packed and I hope once we are on the road I will start to unwind a little.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a new day. You have stated your BIG desire to be closer to your adult son.

When you started going to kindergarten, you most likely NEVER looked back at Mom & Dad as you ran into the school. College was no different. This is not different ... just another new page on your journey of life.

Look forward. Move forward. Live life without that rear view mirror impeding your journey.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It is a new day. You have stated your BIG desire to be closer to your adult son.

When you started going to kindergarten, you most likely NEVER looked back at Mom & Dad as you ran into the school. College was no different. This is not different ... just another new page on your journey of life.

Look forward. Move forward. Live life without that rear view mirror impeding your journey.

Thank you, Linda. I am going to try. It’s been a hell of a year starting last August with making the decision to leave my job.

Today, as we left the house to go on vacation, I teared up again as it felt like we were leaving permanently and knowing that time is coming very, very soon.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thank you. I just wish I could wake up and it all be over with. I am so miserable and teary eyed every day. I woke up today- the day of our vacation when I am usually elated- and seeing our beautiful property through all the windows- all the room we have- everything we worked so hard for all our lives- some of the things gone out the door now- I can't help but second guess the decision to sell. What- are we out of our minds? Now we have to rent someone's "starter" house? I feel like we are going backwards.

I am too old for this really. This house is like part of my skin. I know I have to shed it- but I don't have another shell to put on. Way out of my comfort zone and that is an understatement for a big time homebody.

Our attorney said we should be happy. Our house will be sold instead of languishing on the market through the winter and so on. I know that- on paper- but I am not feeling it.

I honestly do not know how people constantly move. I guess if you never put down roots and have a place to go to each time it is easier, but still.......There is so much involved. I guess unless you don't care or are oblivious to the details that should be handled. I don't get it.

I am either going to have a stroke or at the least get an ulcer at this rate. More of my hair is falling out.

My wine is packed and I hope once we are on the road I will start to unwind a little.
Life takes you where you need to go. Sometimes the road is bumpy. During our journey when things get hard we start second guessing our decisions.

Peace of mind is the best gift we can give ourselves. Ultimately when you are in your new home that is what you will have.

You decided to move because deep down you knew the location, the expense, the isolation and work your house would require were not the best for your retirement. Try to remember that.

Your memories of this home are yours, new memories will be made in your new home too.

Once your house closes, you are in your temporary rental and the new house starts going up your stress will start turning into excitement.

There was a time, not by choice, after my husband passed, I went from a larger home that was done just the way I loved it to a temporary small apartment rental to a small cottage house. I ended up loving that small cottage house even better to my amazement.

When you open your wine bottle, have a toast, to my wonderul future, a new home, new friends and a stress free life. Cheers.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Panina- why is the Tug site saying I am ignoring your content?! No such thing! I don’t know how to change this! Very weird!

Any Tuggers know how to fix this?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Life takes you where you need to go. Sometimes the road is bumpy. During our journey when things get hard we start second guessing our decisions.

Peace of mind is the best gift we can give ourselves. Ultimately when you are in your new home that is what you will have.

You decided to move because deep down you knew the location, the expense, the isolation and work your house would require were not the best for your retirement. Try to remember that.

Your memories of this home are yours, new memories will be made in your new home too.

Once your house closes, you are in your temporary rental and the new house starts going up your stress will start turning into excitement.

There was a time, not by choice, after my husband passed, I went from a larger home that was done just the way I loved it to a temporary small apartment rental to a small cottage house. I ended up loving that small cottage house even better to my amazement.

When you open your wine bottle, have a toast, to my wonderul future, a new home, new friends and a stress free life. Cheers.

Thanks so much! Your post made me cry - in a good way. I am just so emotional about the whole thing. I really appreciate your support. Everyone on TUG is so great and certain people like yourself even more so.

It was Tuggers who convinced me to start this process 2 months ago and I have a lot to be thankful for. I am going to try like hell to live each day while on vacation in a happier state of mind. Like that dream I had with Faith, the dog, I have to keep the faith.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Panina- why is the Tug site saying I am ignoring your content?! No such thing! I don’t know how to change this! Very weird!

Any Tuggers know how to fix this?

Mary Ann,

In the upper right hand corner of the page, click your screen name...

ss 1.jpeg

Then click on People You Ignore.

ss 2.jpeg

There might be some easy (accidental) way to click (or use a keyboard combination) that results in changes / additions to this list.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am either going to have a stroke or at the least get an ulcer at this rate.
You have done all you can do. You have a contract to buy and a contract to sell. You are slowly cleaning out your house. IMO the best thing you can do is be responsive when required but otherwise get the whole thing out of your mind. Have a "I don't give a damn attitude" and let it all play out. Real estate transactions are slow mo. They never go at the pace you want them to...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann,

In the upper right hand corner of the page, click your screen name...

View attachment 13083

Then click on People You Ignore.

View attachment 13084

There might be some easy (accidental) way to click (or use a keyboard combination) that results in changes / additions to this list.

Thanks! I was able to fix it! Not sure how that happened.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You should still go to Utah! If your house isn’t ready anyway, you planned that trip, go and enjoy it. Let the buyers figure out their stuff and make a closing that is convenient for you.
You will be happy you went on vacation!
Silentg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
One thing I can tell you that happened with my move was that once I got here and I’m away from the house and all the things left behind, I don’t second guess all the things I left and saw everyday.

Once you’re away from it all you start to see what’s in front of you and have to be done or even enjoyed.

Hope the same happens to you.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You should still go to Utah! If your house isn’t ready anyway, you planned that trip, go and enjoy it. Let the buyers figure out their stuff and make a closing that is convenient for you.
You will be happy you went on vacation!
Silentg
Being in the business for so many years I have seen deals blow up because a seller pushed the closing date further out. Job loses, family emergencies, sickness, credit rating drops, etc. I always say close as soon as you can and get the money.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went and looked at the shelves where we have stored what we kept when we moved out of our long time family home. Surprising how many things are no longer important enough to keep.

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Get a notebook. Put in dividers and labels such as “flooring” - “lighting”. - “appliances” “utilities “ etc.

You have everything in one place, easy to access. Relieves a lot of stress

Moving and building are stressful but concentrate on the positive. You have a contract! You have a rental! You are going to live exactly where you want to live!!

Building usually takes longer than expected. Be patient-it will all work out wheth you stress it not.