• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My purse was stolen from my grocery cart

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I never buy a purse without a zipper. Even if you carry your purse, it is easy for someone to grab your wallet out of the top.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 15 year old "wallet on a string". That's what they were called back then. Basically it is a traditional multi-comparment wallet with two small outer hooks that can be attached to a removable strap. I keep the strap attached and place the wallet in my larger pocketbook. In the wallet I place one or two credit cards, a gym club photo I.D card (no address or phone number on it, just my name), coupons I plan to use, plus some cash, loose change, a small comb, and chapstick. It's very compact and light weight.

When I go into a store, I take just bring this wallet, my car keys, and my cell phone. I hide the larger pocketbook under the passenger seat (before reaching the parking space). While I'm in stores or a mall, I keep the wallet strap hanging around my neck and tucked under my arm, and the cell phone and keys are in my pants pocket. I have a pair of slacks with small snug pockets that is ideal for this.

So far, so good.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This whole thread just makes me wonder how us poor guys get by in life w/ just a wallet in our pocket. :rofl: :hysterical:

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole thread just makes me wonder how us poor guys get by in life w/ just a wallet in our pocket. :rofl: :hysterical:

Kurt

I was also going to make that observation, but thought it might fall under the 'prime directive' of no controversial subjects. My beloved DW constantly asks me to carry her car keys, money, CCs, stuff that I simply stuff in my pockets.

The day I leave my wallet/keys/CCs/phone, etc. sitting in an unattended grocery cart, send in the guys in the white coats.

This does remind me of attending the Seattle Worlds Fair in about 1960 and having my mother place her purse on the ledge beside the table in the rotating restaurant in the Space Needle. Seems that it was about 180 degrees around the other side when the meal was over. We moved, the ledge didn't.

Jim Ricks

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

OMG! I say the same thing to my husband ALL the time. I have NO IDEA how guys survive without a purse. I would just be totally lost without mine.

Pitiful, huh?!?!

Janna

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We...

OMG! I say the same thing to my husband ALL the time. I have NO IDEA how guys survive without a purse. I would just be totally lost without mine.

Pitiful, huh?!?!

Janna

We carry everything they need for them! Hubby is always asking me for a pen, wet wipes when he spills something, hand sanitizer, Tylenol, mints, coupons, tape measure...

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We carry everything they need for them! Hubby is always asking me for a pen, wet wipes when he spills something, hand sanitizer, Tylenol, mints, coupons, tape measure...

Ditto-- Often when we get out the car mine asks me to put his keys in my purse because he says they bug him. Also, when ever we go somewhere and someone hands us a document or something to hang on to or bring home guess who gets to carry it.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has amazed me for years, after hearing a local news story re a couple purse thefts at a grocery store, how many women walk away from their purse in a cart .

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Those are conveniences, not necessities. Sure we'll avail ourselves if we're with a woman. But if there's no woman around:
  • Pen. A clod of dirt or a stick can be used to write with in a dire emergency. Otherwise, we'll just commit it to memory. And if we forget, how important could it have been?
  • Wet wipes. If DW isn't around use a handkerchief, a shirt tail, the back of a sleeve. Or just forget about it; how important is it anyway?
  • Hand sanitizer. Nice, but hardly a necessity. Humans have lived on earth a lot longer than women have been carrying around hand sanitizer in their purses.
  • Tylenol. Our main interest in Tylenol is making sure you take one in the evening so you won't tell us later on that you have a headache. If you have Tylenol in your purse we view that first and foremost for your use. The last thing we want to do is keep you from taking a Tylenol in the evening.
  • Mints. Again nice, but not necessary. If they were we'd take them with us when we go away with the guys hunting or fishing. When we was the last time DH ran back into the house just before leaving, screaming, "Darn it!! I forgot the Altoids?"
  • Coupons. Men asking women for coupons??? Really???? Your husband asks you for coupons?? Anyway, when I use coupons I invariably find that they fit into pockets and wallets quite nicely.
  • Tape measure. Tape measures have hooks on them so they clip onto a belt or a pants pocket. So purses are hardly needed to carry a tape measure around. Besides, I doubt that you carry a 25-foot, 1-in wide locking Stanley in your purse. If you have a tape measure in your purse I bet it's one of those silly three-foot or five-foot long ones that is about as wide as two human hairs, and if you extend it more than one-inch it buckles. That's not a tape measure, that's a decoration. Put a metal loop on it and for a tape measure it makes a wonderful key chain.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

Same here...he's lucky my purse can carry the kitchen sink :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: But, I must admit, he's great at carrying it for me when it gets kind of heavy!

Ingrid

JulieAnne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not too many years ago a local thief hopped in an SUV at a gas station and took off while the owner was paying the cashier inside.

The hysterical father knew his tiny son was in the back seat and went tearing after the vehicle on foot but of course it was gone. The mommy was on the news right afterward, begging to get her baby boy back.

As it turns out, the startled car thief got quite a lot more than he had bargained for. He drove the car to the sherriffs office parking lot (with the child still safely buckled in) and disappeared. I don't think I ever heard if they caught the person.

Most people are good and decent. It certainly is a shame that we have those random bad eggs that keep us always on the lookout.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score

Mine too !! but generally those are the only type of things I EVER carry in my purse. My license and credit cards and cash are in my jeans pocket, or if not wearing jeans then they are in a neck wallet. Any thief stealing my purse would be really disappointed :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny...

Those are conveniences, not necessities. Sure we'll avail ourselves if we're with a woman. But if there's no woman around:
  • Pen. A clod of dirt or a stick can be used to write with in a dire emergency. Otherwise, we'll just commit it to memory. And if we forget, how important could it have been?
  • Wet wipes. If DW isn't around use a handkerchief, a shirt tail, the back of a sleeve. Or just forget about it; how important is it anyway?
  • Hand sanitizer. Nice, but hardly a necessity. Humans have lived on earth a lot longer than women have been carrying around hand sanitizer in their purses.
  • Tylenol. Our main interest in Tylenol is making sure you take one in the evening so you won't tell us later on that you have a headache. If you have Tylenol in your purse we view that first and foremost for your use. The last thing we want to do is keep you from taking a Tylenol in the evening.
  • Mints. Again nice, but not necessary. If they were we'd take them with us when we go away with the guys hunting or fishing. When we was the last time DH ran back into the house just before leaving, screaming, "Darn it!! I forgot the Altoids?"
  • Coupons. Men asking women for coupons??? Really???? Your husband asks you for coupons?? Anyway, when I use coupons I invariably find that they fit into pockets and wallets quite nicely.
  • Tape measure. Tape measures have hooks on them so they clip onto a belt or a pants pocket. So purses are hardly needed to carry a tape measure around. Besides, I doubt that you carry a 25-foot, 1-in wide locking Stanley in your purse. If you have a tape measure in your purse I bet it's one of those silly three-foot or five-foot long ones that is about as wide as two human hairs, and if you extend it more than one-inch it buckles. That's not a tape measure, that's a decoration. Put a metal loop on it and for a tape measure it makes a wonderful key chain.

KEMcA: Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! You're so funny.

Yeah, he asks for coupons, restaurant certificates and even my Starbucks card!

Just Saturday morning I told him I want some Crabtree & Evelyn Lily of the Valley shower gel for Christmas, that I have a 20% off coupon and that I'd set it on the counter for him. Later in the day, while we were out doing other things, without telling me where we were going or why, he drove us to the mall and asked for the coupon. Some surprise. Sheesh.

Anyway...I could have saved him the trip as the coupon had been left on the counter for him as I said it would. Did he go in and buy it anyway for 20% more? Noooooooo.

My hubby carries a money clip instead of a wallet and has so much crammed in it that he can barely get anything out.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
[*]Tylenol. Our main interest in Tylenol is making sure you take one in the evening so you won't tell us later on that you have a headache. If you have Tylenol in your purse we view that first and foremost for your use. The last thing we want to do is keep you from taking a Tylenol in the evening.[/LIST]

:rofl: You are too funny Steve!! :hysterical:

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wife/pack mule

How true some of the comments about carrying all the things for our husbands ring true. As soon as we get out of the car I am handed all the things that my husband might happen to be in charge of, keys, his drivers license, checkbook, any items that we might be returning, if going to a party the card or hostess gift, you name it-its mine to carry. Sometimes I try the trick of not bringing my purse-just to get out of it. Or I'll sprint towards the store feigning interest in something thats displayed outside.

If I am just in a bad mood I'll simply protest that the one of the only reasons he married me is he needed a pack mule. I try to carry a teeny tiny purse, but that doesn't work either. Now that we both need reading glasses it can get a bit humorous at times as I make it a point to bring along the most riduclous looking cheaters I can find so when we go in restuarants, shopping etc., and he of course does not have his he has to put on a pair of cheaters with wild rhinestones, Outrageous artwork etc.,. Nothing bothers him, the man has no sense of embarrasment. He is a 230 pound body builder type with these ultra riduclous cheaters on going over directions or the menu. He doesn't flinch. I guess its one of the reasons I love him. I still don't like being the pack mule though.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did they find it?

I hope I didn't miss it in all the posts below, but have they caught the person and retrieved your purse?

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dh carries his camera most places, since he blogs about food & technology, he takes a lot of pictures. Anyway, he was one of those "here hold this for me" dh's and my handbags would get pretty heavy. Especially on vacation. So, I made him buy his own purse. Only, it's a small camera bag, so the other boys won't know it's a purse. ;) But it holds his camera, sunglasses, wallet, keys, etc. Sounds like a purse to me!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I didn't miss it in all the posts below, but have they caught the person and retrieved your purse?

Hi Glynda,

No they have not found it. The police called me Sat night to ask more questions, so they're still on it.

For the record, my cart wasn't unattended. I was right there but looking probably at green beans for the best ones. So "attending" isn't always the answer.

Nor is having your wallet on your person. About 30 years ago I had my wallet stolen right out of my hand at the check out at a grocery store by a quick-handed, fast footed young man. I (being 30 years younger and somewhat in shape) took off after him, but couldn't catch him.

My conclusion, if people are desperate enough they will find a way. However, I am taking less with me into stores.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My dh carries his camera most places, since he blogs about food & technology, he takes a lot of pictures. Anyway, he was one of those "here hold this for me" dh's and my handbags would get pretty heavy. Especially on vacation. So, I made him buy his own purse. Only, it's a small camera bag, so the other boys won't know it's a purse. ;) But it holds his camera, sunglasses, wallet, keys, etc. Sounds like a purse to me!
Maybe you can start calling it his "European Carry-all"! :D (for Seinfeld fans...)

Kurt

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wallet.

Hi Glynda,

No they have not found it. The police called me Sat night to ask more questions, so they're still on it.

For the record, my cart wasn't unattended. I was right there but looking probably at green beans for the best ones. So "attending" isn't always the answer.

Nor is having your wallet on your person. About 30 years ago I had my wallet stolen right out of my hand at the check out at a grocery store by a quick-handed, fast footed young man. I (being 30 years younger and somewhat in shape) took off after him, but couldn't catch him.

My conclusion, if people are desperate enough they will find a way. However, I am taking less with me into stores.

Ah, shucks. I was hoping the videos would lead them to someone quickly.

I had my wallet snatched out of my purse (an open topped one) in a hotel lobby in Washington, DC.

Have to admit, I was very cautious with my purse this morning as I grocery shopped though! :)

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We carry everything they need for them!

Of course that's the answer! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks Glynda.
Boy, I sure don't know what those poor single guys do then.

Steve, You totally crack me up!:hysterical:

You guys always make me laugh.

BTW, when I went to the grocery store yesterday I wrapped the strap a few extra times around my purse and watched it like a hawk.

Janna

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wallet

Ah, shucks. I was hoping the videos would lead them to someone quickly.

I had my wallet snatched out of my purse (an open topped one) in a hotel lobby in Washington, DC.

Have to admit, I was very cautious with my purse this morning as I grocery shopped though! :)

And I meant to say that purse was over my shoulder and partly under my arm...still they managed to snatch the wallet out.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been alot of problems here with purses being stolen in the parking lot while loading groceries in the back of the car or SUV. Many people are distracted while loading there groceries, the thief drives up, someone jumps out of the car, grabs the purse from the car, and they drive away. I always put my purse in the car first and lock the doors, while I load the groceries in the back. I recently bought a purse that had necklace style clamp claws (3) on it. I thought it would be great for holding my keys and other things, I realized that I could actually clamp them onto the cart (at the bottom) and if someone tries to grab my purse, the entire cart would come, too.
On a sad note, in October we were in Oahu. My daughter went to the bathroom, and sat down here phone while washing her hands. She walked out, realized what she had done, went back in, and the phone was gone. The store acted like it was no big deal, and wouldn't help us. I had to call the police on my own, and file a report. We were treated so badly. I guess we're just rich tourist, so no great loss for us. NOT! She was also stung by a man-a-war while swimming, and got a nasty cut on the coral while surfing :bawl:
Darlene

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score

BTW, when I went to the grocery store yesterday I wrapped the strap a few extra times around my purse and watched it like a hawk.

Janna

Hi Janna and Glynda,

I posted this originally not for sympathy, but to alert everyone to be cautious. I'm happy the point came through.