• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My new kitchen toy - Sous Vide heater [MERGED]

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I finally broke down buy one (Breville Joule). Iv'e been reverse searing steaks for over a year, but decided to get serious about it.

I'm going to try slow cooked eggs and frozen chicken breasts and fish.

I did chicken thighs last night and then finished them off with hoisin sauce in the air fryer. It was pretty yummy.

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
Sous Vide is awesome ... you'll love it.

After pretending with our Instant Pot (ultra), we broke down a purchased an Anova. We've had some yummy meals since it arrived (lamb shanks/stock, turkey breast & dressing)

I hear rice is fun, but you need to get the water/rice ratio exact (no forgiveness from evaporation) ... you end up with a nice neat (vacuum-sealed) packet of cooked rice.

I like how you can cook your eggs to the exact yolk texture you want, or your steak to the exact doneness you're after, with very forgiving cooking times. Your medium-rare will still be medium-rare, even if you forget about it for couple of hours ... it'll just be more tender.

Now I'll be dreaming of a ribeye ... going to try to cold brew some Kona coffee in the morning ... it just arrived today :D

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sous Vide is awesome ... you'll love it.

After pretending with our Instant Pot (ultra), we broke down a purchased an Anova. We've had some yummy meals since it arrived (lamb shanks/stock, turkey breast & dressing)
I understand that some of the newer electric pressure cookers have a Sous Vide setting, but without circulation, I don't see how they maintain the control, so I think that's just marketing.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
My Insta Pot has a SV feature and I was happy with it. I've been reverse searing my steaks, too, and love the results.

Recently purchased a CinderGrill. Spendy! And not totally sure that it lives up to its claims. However, there's an awesome FB group which is super handy when first learning to use a new kitchen gadget.

The CinderGrill is the ultimate in convenience. There's an app that alerts me when the SV step is complete. So, lots less monitoring. It will hold your meat until you you are ready to finish cooking it. Then Sear feature does a great job in finishing your steak. Overall, a lot less clean up than my trusty cask iron skillet. It's the perfect indoor grill, especially for a small household.

It's as convenient as using any modern appliance, like a dishwasher or washing machine. Turn it on and walk away. It will do the rest, and no need for a messy silicone bag - love that!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a CinderGrill. Spendy! And not totally sure that it lives up to its claims. However, there's an awesome FB group which is super handy when first learning to use a new kitchen gadget.

The CinderGrill is the ultimate in convenience. There's an app that alerts me when the SV step is complete. So, lots less monitoring. It will hold your meat until you you are ready to finish cooking it. Then Sear feature does a great job in finishing your steak. Overall, a lot less clean up than my trusty cask iron skillet. It's the perfect indoor grill, especially for a small household.

It's as convenient as using any modern appliance, like a dishwasher or washing machine. Turn it on and walk away. It will do the rest, and no need for a messy silicone bag - love that!

Whoa. This looks cool. We have a magnificent gas grill and a sous vide and a smoker and obviously I have a problem with cooking gadgets. Can I ask how much the Cinder Grill costs?

Have you seen the Anova oven? https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down buy one (Breville Joule). Iv'e been reverse searing steaks for over a year, but decided to get serious about it.

I'm going to try slow cooked eggs and frozen chicken breasts and fish.

I did chicken thighs last night and then finished them off with hoisin sauce in the air fryer. It was pretty yummy.

I like to use it for lamb chops and pork chops--thing that are kind of tough and chewy if you just grill them. The sous vide cooks them through so they're nice and juicy and just the right temp, and the meat is more tender without being TOO tender.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

How did you do the lamb shanks? I just made them the other day, but slow-cooked in the oven.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sous vide is great for anything that will dry out if you overcook it, and anything where low and slow is good for breaking down collagen.

I use mine regularly in the winter when its too cold here to smoke a pork shoulder.

But mostly I use it for meats. A cheaper roast cooked to medium or medium rare over night then with a quick sear tastes like a much more expensive piece of meat.

I sous vide basically all my chicken now, and finish either stove top or in the deep fryer.

I have done prime rib, but I think Kenji Lopez Alt's reverse sear turns out nicer.

You can also use it for veggies and potatoes, and I have had good success with those. But I only have 1, so I usually use it for the meat. Veggies/potatoes need a higher temp, so you can't do them at the same time. People who are more organized than me cook the veggies first, then leave them in with the meat at a lower temperature, which doesn't hurt them if you're doing something short (steaks or chicken breast).

I modified a plastic beer cooler by cutting a hole to fit my Anova, and covering the void space with thick boat repair tape. That keeps the water out of the air chamber to hold insulation, but means I can leave the lid closed while cooking. I found that pretty helpful to avoid losing heat/water on higher temp or longer cooks.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Both my sons have one. The older one did Beef tenderloin in his for Christmas and it was awesome. When he came to our house, he popped it on the gas grill for a few minutes to sear the sides and make it look like he slaved over it! :)

Reactions: DrQ

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Whoa. This looks cool. We have a magnificent gas grill and a sous vide and a smoker and obviously I have a problem with cooking gadgets. Can I ask how much the Cinder Grill costs?

Have you seen the Anova oven? https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/
Haven't seen the Anova oven but it looks nice.

https://www.cindergrill.com it's 4 Benjamins, so I had to think long and hard about it. It really fits my lifestyle, especially right now as I am WFH (work from home). Less time in the kitchen, less clean up and a better product. I use it enough that I can justify it. Whatever I cook on it is as good or better than eating out!

I know other people are happy with their Otterwilde grills. I considered an outdoor grill, but I don't have the set up for that. Plus, it's over 100 degrees out here most of the year. So, I'd rather cook inside...and, not turn on the oven. I had an inexpensive smoker years ago and it was the bomb for a turkey breast.

If you click on the link above and provide an email, you can enter a drawing for a free CinderGrill :)

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
How did you do the lamb shanks? I just made them the other day, but slow-cooked in the oven.
Vacuum sealed in in Foodsaver bags, with mint sauce and pepper, set the sous vide at 135F, for 36 hours. Then under the broiler for a quick sear.

They were yummy & tender ... the bag juice made for a wonderful sauce.

Lamb bones are quite adept at poking holes, I had to re-bag one that failed to hold its seal.

I used this as a general guide: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/lamb-shank

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacuum sealed in in Foodsaver bags, with mint sauce and pepper, set the sous vide at 135F, for 36 hours. Then under the broiler for a quick sear.

Lamb bones are quite adept at poking holes, I had to re-bag one that failed to hold its seal.

I used this as a general guide: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/lamb-shank

I bought food grade silicone bags (brand name 'stasher') on Amazon to deal with tearing in my food saver bags. I put them through the dishwasher.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love lamb. Is there a bacteria or health risk for leaving meat at this temperature for 36 hours?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love lamb. Is there a bacteria or health risk for leaving meat at this temperature for 36 hours?
The idea is that over about 130 degrees, the item is being pasteurized, so it's safe. That said, I've done those long, long sous vides twice, and both times it made me very anxious. Although the meat was excellent.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

No. Bacteria die based on time and temperature.

The analogy I like best is for humans. If you launched me into the sun, I would die instantly. If you boiled me, it would take a lot longer for me to die.

Bacteria is the same way. The "standard" guidelines were designed to be executed by teenage part time staff of restaurants. Food is safe at that temperature for sure (but it might taste like you launched a chicken breast into the sun...) As long as you follow the sous vide time/temperature guidelines, its safe. There is tons of academic research on the topic.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I never heard of it before, but a few years ago the chef at the Westin Kaanapali gave a presentation on it. Very interesting, but not something we chose to pursue.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
One Restaurant that we go (only 2 blocks away) to will not cook a steak past Medium Rare because of how their Sous Vide is set up. I do not eat their steak as I like them medium.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Good grief! Is 36 hours really necessary?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief! Is 36 hours really necessary?
Not from a safety point of view.

But lamb shanks are a relatively tough meat. The low and slow cooking method breaks down the connective tissues from tough collagen to soft gelatin.

The traditional cooking method most comparable is braising, a low and slow technique to keep moisture in and break down tougher cuts.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
One Restaurant that we go (only 2 blocks away) to will not cook a steak past Medium Rare because of how their Sous Vide is set up. I do not eat their steak as I like them medium.

That's ridiculous. Several restaurants I'm familiar with use the sous vide method for cooking steaks and cook all their steaks in the sous vide to Medium Rare and then sear it for approximately 30 seconds each side on the grill. If someone orders a steak at a warmer temperature, it is seared on the grill for a longer time. If someone orders it Rare then it skips the sous vide and goes straight to the grill.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bacteria is not a problem during the cooking process, BUT if you are going to hold the food for a later seer/warm and use a vacuum sealer, take the food out of the bag or let air back in the bag. You are cooking the food, not pasteurizing it and low acid, low oxygen environments could breed some NASTY bugs. Clostridium botulinum, otherwise known as the cause of Botulism

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
[Threads merged.] <--SueDonJ

I am thinking about purchasing a sous vide slow water cooker device. Are these actually worth getting ? Which one is decent ? Thanks for any good info, recipe or advice.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Haven't seen the Anova oven but it looks nice.

https://www.cindergrill.com it's 4 Benjamins, so I had to think long and hard about it. It really fits my lifestyle, especially right now as I am WFH (work from home). Less time in the kitchen, less clean up and a better product. I use it enough that I can justify it. Whatever I cook on it is as good or better than eating out!

I know other people are happy with their Otterwilde grills. I considered an outdoor grill, but I don't have the set up for that. Plus, it's over 100 degrees out here most of the year. So, I'd rather cook inside...and, not turn on the oven. I had an inexpensive smoker years ago and it was the bomb for a turkey breast.

If you click on the link above and provide an email, you can enter a drawing for a free CinderGrill :)

This might be the ticket for my Tampa home. In Carlsbad, I can grill and smoke outside year round. But, standing over charcoal in 90 degree heat or a thunderstorm isn’t so fun and I miss my steaks!

although with the price of meat these days, I might have to see if it can grill dog food.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Threads merged.] <--SueDonJ

I am thinking about purchasing a sous vide slow water cooker device. Are these actually worth getting ? Which one is decent ? Thanks for any good info, recipe or advice.

Bill

I have an Anova and love it, but there are a number of good choices. The Joule has good reviews iirc. We use it all the time, and take it to drive-to TS vacations.

Steaks, chicken, pork, etc all come out juicy and very evenly cooked. You generally will want to sear the outside using something very hot after cooking in the sous vide - cast iron, BBQ grill, etc. I've also done a quick breading and dunk in a deep frier after sous vide, which gives you a moist and juicy center with a crisp outside.

For recipes I recommend searching "kenji" plus "sous vide" and the name of whatever you're looking to cook. Kenji Lopez-Alt has great sous vide recipes for basically everything.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Ok, I'm in. Costco has the Anova Sous Vid kit on sale for $149.00 . The sale ends today. It includes the container and can use wifi. Looking forward to some tasty eats.

Bill

Reactions: DrQ