• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

my new home is going to be a barn

geekette

Reaction score
quick preface for those not following my previous blatherings ... I am moving to land a friend of mine is making into a glampsite (30+ acres). There are a few structures but need to put up something for myself to live in and figure out storing my stuff. She really doesn't want any RVs, but most anything else goes, and regs in the area are quite lenient. It's still in early stages, only a yurt rentable at this point.

I was really thinking cabin... but then the other stuff I needed, like a garage, somewhere for my tool benches and tools, where to do my hobbies, how to store my fabric and leather? where does my other stuff go ...? cabins are small, I was only going to stay in it until renters started showing up, then get to work on another to stay in, over and over again, growing my fleet as they pay for themselves... but there is only so long I would stay sane with my belongings in a storage container (that will eventually be revamped to become a rental apartment). I started seeing all these extra buildings I needed - a garage to hold my car and mowers, maybe make that extra size for tool benches, a lot of pegboard, all my tools... would need a wall so I don't throw shards of anything at car from workbench .... where could I store my fabric and do my sewing? gees, would need a cedar building ... greenhouse isn't that hard but would have to double as potting shed ... every structure would need heat and light.

Well, duh, why not hire my friendly neighbor Amish man with his own sawmill?? Could not possibly get a better price on wood perfectly suited to the job, and the best craftsmen. And, best part, all my stuff, under one roof (well, eventually, as I get it out of storage container...).

I haven't gotten down to brass tacks, just visualizing the different sections and what is in them to figure out needed square footage, which is not ever the same as desired square footage.... the idea just hit the other night and land owner likes it and mill owner is excited about the project. There is already a spot picked out, a cleared area with a bit of elevation to it (yeah!) Near the street as I wanted a quick driveway of gravel, not a mile back. I haven't seen the spot, don't need to - all of her land is beautiful! We're going to be building it out until we die, so makes sense to me to start at street side and work our way back... I said I would be refreshing my gravel path every so often, so put me on a path so "my gravel" is also "our gravel" and parking lot can start taking shape, and the other planned structures, too. Will also help with big vehicles coming in, less stuck in the mud...

I need to think through what my new life needs and build enough barn to support that without over building. My dollars will go quite far in this scheme, and if I design it right, I'll have the right set up for the various money making ventures, be warm and toasty all winter (wood burning stove for heat), and can putter in the middle of the night and not disturb camp. Feels like the perfect solution to get started. It's already got my creativity short circuiting on idea after idea....

Eventually, I'll move farther back, farther uphill to my final home (which will definitely have running water and septic; barn won't unless I make out Really Good on home sale; I am otherwise trying to slim-budget my start there) and this will become the Party Barn, that we use for fun stuff, and more importantly, rent out (the rehab will likely have running water). I have always wanted a party barn, I didn't expect to have one. It's ok, there are lots of things in life I have wanted and will maybe never have. But this big building is going to solve a lot of problems, including, reliable storm shelter that should fit all homesteaders and guests during scary weather events.

While most people get rid of a lot of stuff when they move, I'm not doing that, because I expect to furnish many buildings over time; it's homesteading with a twist. I don't actually have a lot of stuff anymore, having done the paring down as I go. My brother hit a life skid a few years ago and I ended up with a lot of stuff from his home (he is full time over the road trucker, lays his head at Mom's). I plan to put all sleepable furniture in there as soon as I have floors. We will be 3 homesteaders to start, but we all have intensely curious friends, and I want to be ready for them. Or, the inevitable scary weather that often hits in the middle of the night.

Always wanted a cabin in the mountains, too, and I'll have more than one. I expect I'll have a pack of cabins renting before I can build my "home home", as the barn won't pay for itself until I move out of it, but will help me make money on other ventures. Doesn't matter, this isn't savings going into it, but a sliver of home equity earned over the decades. Aside from the place we moved when I was 4, I have never lived in a brand new home. Seems like time for that ... I've obviously never designed a building, either, so that'll be a fun process. Once I figure out the footprint, it shouldn't be hard to find a similar plan and get things going.

I have gotten to the point on my upcoming life chapter that it's hard to settle down and get things done, so much nervous excitement. Sometimes, I get to forget that there's a pandemic going on ....

But the only way I get to go live in my new barn is to sell this house!!! I'm making progress, the cool weather has kindly helped me shampoo bedroom carpet and slap on some strategic paint. I have scary estimates on moving costs, which has led me to the least scary option of storage container (at least I get to keep an asset after spending scary money....) I have some walls that are now packed tubs, have been bartering stuff away, still need to find home for snow blower and some weed trimmers, but those are easy when you say "free!"

A few leaves have fallen, I really REALLY want to be out of here before leaf season. Raking leaves ranks high on my detested chore list, I usually mow them but it dulls the blade fast.

Thanks for listening to my excited ramblings. My last few years have been the strangest stretch of my life, as I never before lived with such flux, I always knew what I was doing and what was next, and my contingency plans, blah blah blah.... that's all gone, and I made my peace with it and formed new plans to fit new reality! Ok, rolling again, replanned my life! Then pandemic crapped on that and amplified the need to Do Something Else. [[ Everyone's plans got jettisoned, I was impacted lightly; I do know how lucky I am]]. I had expected to pay this place off and live here until I couldn't. But it turns out, it's not fun here anymore. This isn't the place I want to take care of any more, and I need a shorter chore list. Cutting out grass mowing saves me a lot of time. Living among mostly pine and no gutters, leaves won't be bothering me again... part of a community of like-minded people helping each other and camp succeed. I dig it.

I haven't told my family yet, I'll do that when I have an offer on the house. They aren't going to like this, I'll need to be far enough along that their doomspeak can't touch me. Friends called an emergency Zoom meeting to determine just what the heck I'm doing with my life .... I'm not sure why it always surprises me that people that should actually know me best turn out to not actually know me. If they really knew me, they would understand what a perfect fit this building out a glampground is for me. Can't imagine what the reaction will be to my building a barn... but it's right for me and that's really the most important point, no matter what "you can't", "you should", "why would you" crap I hear.

The internet ... where I can be who I am and nobody gets too alarmed by weird stuff from me....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Congrats! I love this idea - PLEASE share pictures from start to finish! Question: what area will this be in?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would love to see pics too as you progress. You know what is best for you. I find the naysayers who question others choices have the biggest problems themselves.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Congrats! I love this idea - PLEASE share pictures from start to finish! Question: what area will this be in?

This. I can't wait to see this as it progresses. This will be a fascinating process.
Sue

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think moving to the mountains is an amazing idea but I wouldn't want to make a large investment on someone else's land. Did I miss something that you are leasing the land or a partnership agreement or something? I've seen too many friendships go south over silly things and if it does what happens to your investment?

geekette

Reaction score
Thank you!

Small town rural NC, about halfway between Asheville and Charlotte. It's a sweet area, red dirt and pine. I have Bluegreen, thrilled with how much nearer I will be, and I may sometimes simply crave some finer living or get annoyed with too many days of cold rain.

I am certain to take MANY pictures. It's not going to feel like it at the time, but progress will be swift. I'd like to remember All Of It!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I got the impression that geekette is going to help sell shares in the property.

geekette

Reaction score
I think moving to the mountains is an amazing idea but I wouldn't want to make a large investment on someone else's land. Did I miss something that you are leasing the land or a partnership agreement or something? I've seen too many friendships go south over silly things and if it does what happens to your investment?
It's a different kind of situation, honestly. You didn't miss anything!

I hear you on money ventures with friends, absolutely potential potholes in mixing that. Completely valid points! I asked myself, what's my exit clause??

She owns the land outright, offers homesteaders the opportunity to build what they want, live how they want, free of charge. In her will, any of us that live there can stay until our deaths. The property will transfer to her son, his wife, their not-yet-existing children.

"Camp" will be a business. I'm not sure how she's setting it up, I will assume LLC.

The idea is that we each figure our own way to make a living, but we share in proceeds from whatever money Camp makes that we helped with.

I expect to pretty much make camp my life. I plan to farm to feed camp (Camp will be certifying organic, and will buy food from garden), and take produce to farmer's markets. I probably need to share what I get from farmer's market, but not what I make to sell as my main livelihood (whatever hobbies I feel like playing at, let's say curtains and tablecloths). Camp could also buy some of that output.

I plan to build my own glampsites to rent out and help build out the others. I will be sharing in revenues, and generating revenues. I get a cut of what camp makes (I didn't expect that, don't know how much), she gets a cut of what I make (50% on an AirBnB; I don't have to do any of the marketing, she does it). I am not sure what the financial arrangement is on teaching classes. She'd obviously get a cut or maybe flat rate for 'classroom rental'?

One could come at this from different perspectives. My idea would be to not put a lot in that can't go with me. If I leave, I can't bring buildings with me (except storage container! which I can fit All My Stuff in!), but, they can continue to be rented out with the money coming to me (50/50). It would obviously be in my best interest to either send money to cover repairs, or show up to keep the place up.

Once I die, my buildings belong to camp. I have no natural heirs, so this is fine with me. It's easier, actually, to not tax my family with disposing of my home and stuff. The other homesteader also has no children, so unless his tiny house is on wheels, it remains when he is gone.

If things go badly and I split, I have my bank account large from low cost of living and money made off camp and storage container! I would still get half of rental proceeds from whatever I left behind. and could of course show up and occupy my buildings again.

One scenario is to pay 25,000 to put up a cabin rental site. Payback is after 250 rental nights at $100. I keep half since I'm using her land and paying no tax or insurance, so it's 500 rental nights at $100. I would charge more than that for a good cabin, but this makes math easy. The cabins I was looking to build were in the 5-10k range. Minor investment in the scheme of things, if we make a go of this. I will be making money off my investments all along. And with a mill and builder right up the road, building is far cheaper than I could have imagined.

I might be able to get my giant barn for under 20k since there are no middlemen. Since I'm pocketing decades of equity vs buying a normal home for normal costs, it's more of an expenditure than investment to me. I won't ever sell the buildings. Paying cash for buildings means I don't really have bills. My car is new, then insuring it, and whatever I want to do for phone and internet. Food and medicine. basics. I don't plan to insure my buildings. If I can keep the building costs low, there is no point to the insurance. If something is incredibly important to me, it should be in my container or a safe deposit box in town.

I didn't expect to put up a non-rental to start, but, it will be a lot easier to adapt to my new life this way. I'm sure I'll have at least a modest cabin site up to start 2021 camping season. I will be wanting to get income happening to get to my final home up the hill as soon as possible and rent out party barn. That will be much more lucrative than glampsites. If it only costs 20k, that's a mere 10 $2000 soirees. If I get the corporate retreat crowd, it's do-able. If I can do wedding receptions, that's do-able. If I host live bands, it'll take longer but be a ton more fun for me! If I get family reunions, it takes longer but I help make a lot of people happy.

Once the will is done, once the business is set up, I'll be getting actual documents that should spell out who gets what when. As I ask questions, it does seem that she has given this deep thought for years.

geekette

Reaction score
I got the impression that geekette is going to help sell shares in the property.
LOL!

can I get you a beer? So, tell me how you usually vacation? What if you could spend each summer in a completely different experience, but at the same place??? Maybe you stayed in the yurt last year, well, let me tell you, we put up the tipi this year, and everyone wants to book it.... today, only, I can get you priority booking Every Year....!

Nah, I'm just hoping curiosity gets the better of you and I get to host you, gratis. Word of mouth can be powerful. Nothing like free samples to generate goodwill!

I would actually like to have an annual plant swap weekend. Bring what grows where you're from, take something someone else brought ... check out our gardens, tour my greenhouse, relax in Meditation Gardens and tell me what else should be planted there....

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would actually like to have an annual plant swap weekend. Bring what grows where you're from, take something someone else brought ... check out our gardens, tour my greenhouse, relax in Meditation Gardens and tell me what else should be planted there....

Pot or hemp seems very popular these days. :)

Bill

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting program on barns (erecting and taking down) on the DIY Network. The show is called "Barnwood Builders". I believe it is on Sunday evenings.

Mark Bowe owns the Company and he and his crew have some very interesting projects every week. Might be worthwhile looking into for Geekette's project......

Any other Tuggers out there ever hear of Barnwood Builders television program?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Seems like you have a good plan and you are ready to get going. Sounds like it is a great fit and you are ready! Congratulations!!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Looking forward to your pictures/progress. Definitely intrigued by all this.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
How exciting. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Although what you are doing does not appeal to me in the least- except the mountain part- I wish you the best of luck and look forward to following your journey here on TUG!

geekette

Reaction score
Interesting program on barns (erecting and taking down) on the DIY Network. The show is called "Barnwood Builders". I believe it is on Sunday evenings.

Mark Bowe owns the Company and he and his crew have some very interesting projects every week. Might be worthwhile looking into for Geekette's project......

Any other Tuggers out there ever hear of Barnwood Builders television program?
Yes, I have watched a few of these! Very interesting. I thought I might build from reclaimed/salvage, but a much trickier go of it, logistics very complicated.

I have been completely sucked in by Homestead Rescue (I think Discover channel). Makes me look differently at "spare parts" here. Learned about hugelkultur (mound gardening), waffle gardening, all kinds of garden water systems, passive heating via black painted barrels of water ...

geekette

Reaction score
Although what you are doing does not appeal to me in the least- except the mountain part- I wish you the best of luck and look forward to following your journey here on TUG!
I think it sounds more like your old place, before anyone got there. You put your own touches on something began by someone looking at the land and deciding what to do. You have also been through insane amounts of detail for the sweet spot you're in now. I picture your walks around the lake (I really like water). I will have to instead pretty up our Spring Walk.

But, yeah, most people downsize into easily maintainable spaces. there is no way I would build a big barn to maintain without having the community, and ability to hire for what I can't or don't want to do. I am 3000sqft here, including basement, so it will be a downsize, it just won't look like it.

I just learned this morning that the guy that was going to build a tiny house has gone through much the same process as I have, and is having his home also built by our Amish neighbors. He has been overseas teaching, and then into the limbo plan, but now his program is ending and he'll finally see the property in September. I don't know if it is certain he can fly home, I hope so.

Sounds like we will all be full time there by December.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
@geekette “She owns the land outright, offers homesteaders the opportunity to build what they want, live how they want, free of charge. In her will, any of us that live there can stay until our deaths. The property will transfer to her son, his wife, their not-yet-existing children.”

Please protect yourself. I don’t see concrete protection for you with the will. At any time without you knowing the will can get changed. The children can have her sign a change if she gets sick too. You need a contract specifically stating the terms of your business and how long.

geekette

Reaction score
@geekette “She owns the land outright, offers homesteaders the opportunity to build what they want, live how they want, free of charge. In her will, any of us that live there can stay until our deaths. The property will transfer to her son, his wife, their not-yet-existing children.”

Please protect yourself. I don’t see concrete protection for you with the will. At any time without you knowing the will can get changed. The children can have her sign a change if she gets sick too. You need a contract specifically stating the terms of your business and how long.
I was going to look into squatters' rights. It would be difficult to evict me. Sure not going to destroy the barn trying to drag me out.

Until the business filing is complete and I break ground, there isn't much can be done and there is nothing to claim or protect. it's a friend letting me plop down. It's going to be easier to craft the real agreement when all 3 of us are there representing our positions. We're planning to establish relationships with local businesses, banks and local lawyers and figure out how to do all that. I also need the legal ability to get the heck out, and what are my rights/responsibilities in that? If I die before my mother, I need rent money going to her while she is alive, and I want my niece to be able to take over whatever home I am living in at my death or removal to old folks' home (niece gets preference, other family members given the option to claim within one year).

We are planning to powwow extensively and learn a lot more about legalities, but also rules and regs of what we can build, what needs permit, what is prohibited, etc., in addition to things she does not want, like RVs. Well, I come from RV people, I want to allow cousins to stay with us from time to time. No RVs longer than a month would do.

I have my list of things like that going in a special notebook with a red cover! cya book.

Given the impossibility of being forced to spend money, and my massive savings on living expenses (after paying cash to make a home), I am financially better off very quickly. The trick is to make money quickly, which takes me back to my interior space design.

Nobody is going to tear the barn down to get me out of there, that would destroy value I brought to the property. If I don't like the AirBnB split, I won't rent my buildings. Truly, anything is possible, and some of the coming chores involve figuring out who needs what and fair division, and making sure it shall be thus, no matter what.

Yep, not all just dreamy fun and games! The good part, though, is that the 3 main people get there and set at roughly the same time, and have these discussions and commit to getting it done. We also need to determine what camp priorities are, and get those things happening for our collective benefit to prepare for bringing paid guests in the spring and hopefully decent businesses. Who Gets What is obviously of compelling interest to all of us, and Camp itself must profit to maintain grounds.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Years ago myself parents retired and moved to the mountains. They got a pre-fab home installed. It was really quick, nice, and had plumbing. As I recall the cost was very reasonable. Perfect for the two of them. Good luck to you.