• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My MVC Owners Update Experience

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So, DW and I are enjoying a couple's week away from kids for VD week. ;) Before our trip, we were offered an Owner's Update presentation to learn about all the 'enhancements' being offered through DC now. By booking the presentation before our arrival in Orlando, we were offered 20k MRP or $125 'Marriott Dollars' for use on the property or toward park tickets. We chose the 20k points. If we had waited until arriving in Orlando to decide whether to do the presentation, the incentives dropped to 15k points or $100 'Marriott Dollars'. So, it is advantageous to commit in advance and maximize the incentive, if you are willing to hear the pitch.

Our presentation was not high pressure. Our sales exec, P.A., put us through the usual walk-through of the model and the touchscreen video/power point series in the gallery hallway before we headed upstairs. The pitch was logical from the standpoint of 'enhancing' your usage options. The points were offered at $10.94 each starting with the standard packages of 2k points and up. When we didn't bite, we were offered a 1500 points package that was 'not officially' available. When we passed on that, we were offered the 'I really shouldn't be offering you this, but will take it to my manager for approval' package of 1,000 points at $10.94 per point with no incentives. He did offer to credit us $595 of the $1495 we paid to enroll our external resale week last year toward the points purchase. He explained this was an incentive offered last year, and despite the small number of points we were considering purchasing (1,000), he had approval to offer the credit to us to give some incentive to complete the purchase.

DW and I discussed it and decided to bite, not because we needed the points, but because we felt it was the cheapest way to access trust inventory. We don't see prices per point going down in the foreseeable future and with whatever new (exclusively trust) resorts MVCI ultimately adds to the portfolio, this ensures our ability to access them.

I checked our MVCI account this morning and the points are already showing. However, I noticed the points show a date of 2013 for usage. So, I called and was advised that if I want to have usage of them this year, I just need to pay the $405 maintenance fee and they will modify the account to add them to my options for this year. DW and I are still discussing if we want to do that. Nice to have the choice.

I did throw out the question of the potential to enroll any post-6/10 resale weeks with the purchase of a points package, as one of our weeks is not currently enrolled. The sales exec brought over a sales director who stated that there were no plans to offer another opportunity to enroll external resale weeks (even with a points package purchase). However, he advised that they are preparing to begin offering enrollment in DC for resale weeks purchased directly from Marriott.

We used our Marriott card for the purchase of the 1,000 points, so with our 20k MRP incentive for attending the presentation we are ending up with about 75k points. Overall, we are happy with our decision, but would have been 'really happy' if we had the option of enrolling our remaining week.

The End. :hi:

Last edited:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what you were told, only The 1,000 points you purchased have access to the trust inventory. Your enrolled week points have the same access as before which is exchange inventory. Your purchase DID NOT change your enrolled points to trust points.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Interesting that you were able to buy a package of 1000 points. We were recently told by several reps that 1500 was the smallest package they would sell. Congratulations on getting the size package that you wanted. There are obvious limits, but now you can also rent points from other DC Trust point owners if you need more for a particular trip. Enjoy.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regardless of what you were told, only The 1,000 points you purchased have access to the trust inventory. Your enrolled week points have the same access as before which is exchange inventory. Your purchase DID NOT change your enrolled points to trust points.

Agreed. However, for high trust inventory properties that we would like to visit, it is our opinion that these points may help us 'fill in' periods we would like to try to get a consecutive nights reservation.

For example, if I can 'see' only Mon/Wed/Fri for a week I want to visit a property using my enrolled legacy points, the trust points may clear my view to 'see' Tue/Thur/Sat to enable me to form a consecutive nights reservation by combining my T&L points. That's the concept anyway. We'll see how it works in practice when I try to create my first reservation, which won't be in the immediate future as I already have trips planned/reserved into early 2013.

While renting trust points is certainly an option, and we may continue to do that as well to enhance trust point reservation options, we felt it important to have a presence in the DC aspect of Marriott's timeshare program and the 1,000 points offered is probably the cheapest anyone is going to be offered the chance to 'stick your toe in'.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting that you were able to buy a package of 1000 points. We were recently told by several reps that 1500 was the smallest package they would sell. Congratulations on getting the size package that you wanted. There are obvious limits, but now you can also rent points from other DC Trust point owners if you need more for a particular trip. Enjoy.

Yes, we were surprised at the offer of 1,000 points ourselves. We have rented points in the past, thanks to Greg (shout out), and will continue to do so to potentially expand our usage options, particularly for high point outings like China or Tuscany (should that ever happen).

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. However, for high trust inventory properties that we would like to visit, it is our opinion that these points may help us 'fill in' periods we would like to try to get a consecutive nights reservation.

For example, if I can 'see' only Mon/Wed/Fri for a week I want to visit a property using my enrolled legacy points, the trust points may clear my view to 'see' Tue/Thur/Sat to enable me to form a consecutive nights reservation by combining my T&L points. That's the concept anyway. We'll see how it works in practice when I try to create my first reservation, which won't be in the immediate future as I already have trips planned/reserved into early 2013.
I do wonder how will you know? You will go to make a ressie and either it will say available or not. You will have no idea if the ressie was made because you had the trust points or it would have worked with just the legacy points.

Have they told you what cycle (e.g., Jan to Dec, March to Feb) you are on for the trust points? Remember to make sure when you book your reservations that if is not calendar you should make sure you use the ones that are expiring first so you do not get caught accidentally missing any deadlines for banking or usage.

Best of luck with the purchase.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I do wonder how will you know? You will go to make a ressie and either it will say available or not. You will have no idea if the ressie was made because you had the trust points or it would have worked with just the legacy points.

Have they told you what cycle (e.g., Jan to Dec, March to Feb) you are on for the trust points? Remember to make sure when you book your reservations that if is not calendar you should make sure you use the ones that are expiring first so you do not get caught accidentally missing any deadlines for banking or usage.

Best of luck with the purchase.

I think that the Use Year of any Trust Points purchased by folks with enrolled Weeks will be set to coincide with the 1/1-12/31 calendar Use Year of the enrolled Weeks, unless the buyer requests something different.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that the Use Year of any Trust Points purchased by folks with enrolled Weeks will be set to coincide with the 1/1-12/31 calendar Use Year of the enrolled Weeks, unless the buyer requests something different.

Good question. Our best guess is calendar year also. We weren't told anything different, but will raise it with our sales rep to confirm when we see him tomorrow to go ahead and pay the maintenance fee for 2012 on the points we are purchasing so we can roll them to next year and bump up our available trust points to 2,000. We would not want our trust points to be on a different schedule than our legacy points should we choose to convert our enrolled week some time in the future.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Good question. Our best guess is calendar year also. We weren't told anything different, but will raise it with our sales rep to confirm when we see him tomorrow to go ahead and pay the maintenance fee for 2012 on the points we are purchasing so we can roll them to next year and bump up our available trust points to 2,000. We would not want our trust points to be on a different schedule than our legacy points should we choose to convert our enrolled week some time in the future.

Just in case you need to fight for it (which I would not expect :) ) this is from the FAQ at my-vacationclub.com:
If I purchase Beneficial Interests after I enroll my week, will I have different Use Years?
The Use Year of the Beneficial Interest(s) will be forward-dated to match the Use Year of your initial week that you enrolled (January to December). Therefore, your Use Years will be aligned.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just in case you need to fight for it (which I would not expect :) ) this is from the FAQ at my-vacationclub.com:

Great info. Thanks.