• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"My God, what have we done?"

Country Roads

Reaction score
I won't link the original story from, usatoday.com, because it may be deemed political but...

Seventy-five years ago Thursday, the U.S. became – and remains – the only country in the world to detonate a nuclear weapon against an enemy.

At 8:15 a.m. local time on Aug. 6, 1945, an American Boeing B-29 aircraft named Enola Gay dropped a 9,700-pound uranium bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" over Hiroshima, Japan. About 70,000 people were killed instantly by the explosion, which had a radius of around a mile.

Three days later, on Aug. 9 at 11:02 a.m. local time, a second atomic bomb, named "Fat Man," was unleashed by the U.S. over Nagasaki, Japan. This time, 40,000 people died straight away – within five years, the number of deaths approached 140,000, according to archived estimates by the U.S. Department of Energy. The Hiroshima death toll reached an estimated 200,000 by 1950 as those who survived the blast succumbed to fatal burns, radiation sickness and various cancers.

On an NBC show called "This Is Your Life", Capt. Robert Lewis, co-pilot of the Enola Gay, the American Boeing B-29 that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, with tears welling up in his eyes, the pilot said that he had written in his flight log on Aug. 6, 1945: "My God, what have we done?"

Within the story you'll find this. It's animation is quite interesting.

Nuclear annihilation:See what would happen if a nuclear blast hit your ZIP

Brett

Reaction score
I won't link the original story from, usatoday.com, because it may be deemed political but...

Seventy-five years ago Thursday, the U.S. became – and remains – the only country in the world to detonate a nuclear weapon against an enemy.

At 8:15 a.m. local time on Aug. 6, 1945, an American Boeing B-29 aircraft named Enola Gay dropped a 9,700-pound uranium bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" over Hiroshima, Japan. About 70,000 people were killed instantly by the explosion, which had a radius of around a mile.

Three days later, on Aug. 9 at 11:02 a.m. local time, a second atomic bomb, named "Fat Man," was unleashed by the U.S. over Nagasaki, Japan. This time, 40,000 people died straight away – within five years, the number of deaths approached 140,000, according to archived estimates by the U.S. Department of Energy. The Hiroshima death toll reached an estimated 200,000 by 1950 as those who survived the blast succumbed to fatal burns, radiation sickness and various cancers.

On an NBC show called "This Is Your Life", Capt. Robert Lewis, co-pilot of the Enola Gay, the American Boeing B-29 that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, with tears welling up in his eyes, the pilot said that he had written in his flight log on Aug. 6, 1945: "My God, what have we done?"

right, the "doomsday" clock has been advanced the past couple of years because of ____________

Lots of books and articles on Hiroshima and Nagasaki

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
What was done that day saved millions of lives - not only Allied but also Japanese lives because of the events that did not need to occur next. If you understand the culture of Japan, you understand that every last man, woman, and child would have died defending the home islands and the Emperor from an invading force.

Yes, the horrors of war are beyond description but they should serve as a reminder to take every reasonable step to avoid war in the future.

Perhaps Capt. Lewis should have reviewed the lessons learned by Commander Mitsuo Fuchida......

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What was done that day saved If you understand the culture of Japan, you understand that every last man, woman, and child would have died defending the home islands and the Emperor from an invading force.

I don’t think this is true, it was a stereotype from propaganda of the times. The Japanese government was taken over by the hawkish military leaders that advocated the war but not every “man, woman, and child” was so disposed.

I just started reading a fascinating book about the mission to assasinate Admiral Yamamoto, the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack. It paints a very different picture than the war propaganda of that era. Dead Reckoning by Dick Lehr.

fe46607a5ad686704cb99dcb5d5c1417.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Country Roads

Reaction score
right, the "doomsday" clock has been advanced the past couple of years because of ____________

Lots of books and articles on Hiroshima and Nagasaki

"... because of_____________" ?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the eighties our local newspaper wrote about the bombing, but changed the name to Enola Homosexual in an attempt to be politically correct. I believe Enola Gay was the pilots mothers name

Brett

Reaction score
I don’t think this is true, it was a stereotype from propaganda of the times. The Japanese government was taken over by the hawkish military leaders that advocated the war but not every “man, woman, and child” was so disposed.

I just started reading a fascinating book about the mission to assasinate Admiral Yamamoto, the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack. It paints a very different picture than the war propaganda of that era. Dead Reckoning by Dick Lehr.

fe46607a5ad686704cb99dcb5d5c1417.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've read that book (epub). It's more about the pilots and mission that shot down Yamamoto's plane.
There are other books that make the case for Japan agreeing to surrender before the A bombs were dropped. One recent book is "The Apocalypse Factory" by Steve Olsen - plutonium was only discovered in Dec 1940 and Leslie Groves was determined to use that $3 billion baseball size small chunk of metal !

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about Nazi Germany? Hitler and his associates knew in late 1944 it was a total loss. Germany was squeezed from both sides. Why did they have to force civilians to fight to the death. If we dropped the A bomb in early 1945 on Hitler ( If it had been available?) would the Nazi's have surrendered? Maybe?

One can also argue that just as much destruction if not more was done via convention bombing over Germany. Prime example "Dresden" was literally obliterated by conventional means.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Japan wouldn't surrender. They were warned, which is something we didn't get, when they attacked Pearl Harbor. That is history, real history. I feel badly that those two islands were bombed, but the second one didn't even need to happen. Really, we are living at a time when our parents and grandparents who lived through it are mostly gone. So to second guess that decision seems like hindsight. You have no idea what would have happened, had they not dropped those bombs, but my dad told me that he couldn't believe the Japanese wouldn't surrender after the first one. That was the general sentiment at the time.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think the main reason that the USA used the nuke option on Japan was to show Russia that the USA had these in the arsenal. Japan was pretty much a defeated country by the time the bomb was dropped.

Bill

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
I think the main reason that the USA used the nuke option on Japan was to show Russia that the USA had these in the arsenal. Japan was pretty much a defeated country by the time the bomb was dropped.

The aftermath of the nukes used on Japan killed people for years after the use because of the radiation. My mom was outside Nagasaki growing up when these were used. It took years, but like many in her family she died young from leukemia. More people died from the aftermath of these weapons, imo.

Bill
Japan victim????????? How about all the people(civilians) the Japanese killed in China, Philippines etc.
The Japanese started it and got what they deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
@SmithOp For a balanced view of the Pacific War, I recommend The Rising Sun, by John Toland. It starts with the 2/24 incident, to the bitter end. It used many Japanese resources and documents. (Written in 1970).

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The aftermath of the nukes used on Japan killed people for years after the use because of the radiation. My mom was outside Nagasaki growing up when these were used. It took years, but like many in her family she died young from leukemia. More people died from the aftermath of these weapons, imo.

Bill

Bill

Sorry for what your mom went through.

My dad served in Germany during the war and they were on ships about to head home and at last moments were going to be diverted to the Pacific theater. He was relieved that the bombs were dropped and the war was ended so he could go home. I don't think anyone had any idea of the ramifications the bombs would have going forward on the exposed population.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Japan victim????????? How about all the people(civilians) the Japanese killed in China, Philippines etc.
The Japanese started it and got what they deserved.

Bill

e.bram

Reaction score
How can a child start a war ? Yes, there are many victims of the radiation from the nuke used against Japan, many of whom were not even born when the during the war.

Bill
The Japanese should have thought of that before they started it killing many children themselves.How would you suggest stopping the Japanese from killing others.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Japanese should have thought of that before they started it killing many children themselves.How would you suggest stopping the Japanese from killing others.

I don't know and I know you for sure don't have a clue. Do you consider the nuke a viable weapon to be used on an entire population ? In the post nuke wars, we use sanctions, blockades and other means to achieve our objectives.

FYI, you sound a bit offensive using the derogatory word Jap. Japanese if you please.

Bill

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
I don't know and I know you for sure don't have a clue. Do you consider the nuke a viable weapon to be used on an entire population ? In these post nuke wars we use sanctions, blockades and other means to achieve our objectives.

Bill
Those who died in the The Nanjing Massacre(including women and children) died a better death at the hands of the Japanese because it was not nuclear? HUH?
That was OK?

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

For those interested in perusing an authoritative publication on the effects of various size nuclear explosions, the official U.S. Gov document is available free on the web: https://www.dtra.mil/Portals/61/Documents/NTPR/4-Rad_Exp_Rpts/36_The_Effects_of_Nuclear_Weapons.pdf
I actually own a mid 1960's printed earlier version of this. Its been a long time since I perused it.
Jack

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those who died in the The Nanjing Massacre(including women and children) died a better death at the hands of the Japanese because it was not nuclear? HUH?
That was OK?

Bill

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
What do you think ? Do you think that anyone thinks killing anyone is right ? I am wondering why you are bringing these other deaths up ? Did one of your relatives die in the war or Japanese conquests of Asia ? If so, me and my mom had nothing to do with it, lol.

Bill
The Japanese started it and should have no complaints on the outcome , attack Pearl Harbor and take the USA revenge. Should have known better than to start a war with the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
In a private convo ebram has explained the reason why for the posts. I also explained my thoughts. Sometimes the hate is so deep that it just doesn't matter i guess. Just let it go. Most of ebrams posts are interesting. These last post not so much, imo. It must be the covid , lol.

Bill
Does not have to be private.
My problem is that every August the Japanese portray themselves as victims of a war they they started with no mention of the many more deaths the Japanese caused in the Japanese Conquest of Asia. They are the victims of Japanese aggression.
Never mentioned!!! Dead is Dead nuclear or otherwise.

Brett

Reaction score
In a private convo ebram has explained the reason why for the posts. I also explained my thoughts. Sometimes the hate is so deep that it just doesn't matter i guess. Just let it go. Most of ebrams posts are interesting. These last post not so much, imo. It must be the covid , lol.

Bill

yes, let it go. some people are completely locked in their thinking
.... or blame covid