• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My girlfriend recently upgraded her Wyndham for VIP "Gold"

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
She decided to "upgrade" to get the deal I turned away at Bali Hai earlier this year :mad: However, she kinda made out like a bandit...she only purchased 105,000pts, and she had used all of her points for 2009 (all of them previous to the tour date). Wyndham actually gave, yup gave, her 705,000 points starting Jan. 2009 even though she had a point balance of zero previously for 2009 as she had already used those points (she upgraded 3 resale contracts she purchased for under $5K, and paid about $16,500 for 105,000 points and they rolled all of her contracts into Bali Hai which gave her VIP gold, ARP at 2 resorts and all the Hawaiin resorts (she plans on visiting Hawaii every year for 4 weeks)and the Outrigger Club). Needless to say she was happy, and ended up renting some of her 2009 points to pay for a cruise. Only downside for her...she couldn't PIC in her 2 Marriott Aruba weeks...that she originally purchased through the developer.

Sometimes, its not a bad idea to upgrade...Especially when the developer is desparate to get a sale that they let a hiccup like that pass them buy, and virtually "give" you 705,000pts for the new year when you already had used your 600,000pts for 2009.

I wish I knew they were giving away deals like this...I woulda used all my points before I got there too..shesh...a may not have rescinded...

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is in writing...at least (she did this 2 months ago, but just told me) and when she bought over her contract all of her points are under Bali Hai, she already used the "extra" 705,000 new points they gave her for 2009 by renting them out (so she transferred them to the accounts of those she rented to, and made bookings on the rest), and making her reservations. They did an "equity trade" and gave her like a 60K? value for the points she purchased (now they were FSP/UDI points contracts, not a converted points contract). I did an equity trade similar to this for my Bonnet Creek and although I didn't use all my points for the next year, I can confirm that I got the full value of points on my new property, even though I did use some of my points for that year.

So as she puts it all is well for her right now...She said at first they had her at double points in the system for 2010(meaning they had her 600K points from previous contracts, and her new 705K points from Bali Hai..they told her all would be settled in 30-60 days when her true points ownership), they backed out the excess of 600K in points for 2010, but they didn't back out the new 705,000 points with Bali Hai for 2009, and was told by contracts that those points are hers. After she found that out, I think she was scared they were going to change their minds, so she rented the points, and booked her travel. However, she confirmed again with contracts that the new points disbursement for 2009 will stand,and they validated that it would, as well as pointed her to where in her contract it is. She said the Contracts person told her its as if she got a new contract, so of course she would get the new points associated with that contract in its new use year. Since she purchased in 2008 she was not expected to get new points then, but this may just be a loop-hole in their system. However, the salesperson told her this was so, and that was one of the reasons she purchased. Now she is a confirmed gold owner with 705,000 points with Bali Hai and her contracts with Cypress Pointe, Alexandria, and Kingsgate are all moved under Bali Hai, so she no longer owns the 3 other contract properties - she only owns all her points with Bali Hai, with her new points value of 705,000 points starting on use year Jan, 2009.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Doesn't this also increase your MFs - when you give up your 'old' points to get the 'new' ones at a resort with higher fees?

When we were in STT a few years ago, they wanted us to 'upgrade' our ownership but the combined ownership would have costed more in MFs

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't this also increase your MFs - when you give up your 'old' points to get the 'new' ones at a resort with higher fees?

When we were in STT a few years ago, they wanted us to 'upgrade' our ownership but the combined ownership would have costed more in MFs

Actually after looking at her contract, her mf's were decreased from $158 to $110 per month for more points...but this is not a problem for her financially...she does own 2 marriott properties with much higher mf's and only for 1 week of travel a piece. As well as she paid for her points in cash.

Also, she looks at 705,000K in points as potentially 10 weeks of travel if she banks 10=70,000points weeks with RCI...so for her the mf's are minimum. She won't sell her Marriotts because she loves Aruba and goes there every year, plus she likes the Marriott points, but she also loves her Wyndham flexibility too...and getting, VIP Gold+Outrigger Club Benefits+free RCI for just $110 per month to her for a total cost of $20,500 + mf's , which is less than what she paid for her 2 weeks of Marriott a piece ownership was considered a win, win for her.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Actually after looking at her contract, her mf's were decreased from $158 to $110 per month for more points...but this is not a problem for her financially...she does own 2 marriott properties with much higher mf's and only for 1 week of travel a piece. As well as she paid for her points in cash.

Now that IS a good thing ...which is why u 'never say never' to a developer purchase.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is the $13,000 for? Makes no sense.

I fail to see how spending $20,000+ plus maintenance fees is a better deal than simply buying 705,000 points resale @ $7050 or less. The annual maintenance fees would be the same for the resale so how will she ever recover the extra $13,000+ she spent? Saving a few housekeeping fees or a $129 GC as a VIP she would have to have hundreds of transactions to even approach the break even point - forget make it less expensive than the resale route. Plus that $110 annual fee is guaranteed to go up. History says the VIP benefits will go down so, for my money, she did not "do well" she overpaid by at least $13,000. I assume the sales weasels smile at her and, nice guys they are, will always be willing to take even more of her cash given the opportunity. I would not hold this up as an example of "why you buy retail" in any way. In fact I'd say it proves the opposite.

Charlie D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
If what Iprstn’s girlfriend was able to do actually passes muster with Wyndham after the auditors review it there will be other people interested in doing the same thing. “Cashing in” 3 resale TSs purchased for $5k for basically 400 k points that would cost $55-60 k retail will not go unnoticed by Wyndham for long. I personally will be surprised if the VIP Gold status is allowed to stand after some scrutiny. There have been posts in the past of individuals who had at least temporarily been given VIP status using resale points and had it rescinded.

A salesman may have been able to disguise the points in this case as an “equity trade” worth an alleged $60k or so but I would bet there is nothing in writing in the contract saying basically “you are now VIP Gold” The contract we received basically states that VIP are benefits given by the seller to members who achieve certain eligibility standards as set forth in the directory. It states that only points associated with ownership purchased directly from Fairfield (at the time) are eligible to be counted toward the VIP program. I think once someone realizes that the “trade-ins” were resales, that the only points that will work toward VIP will be the 105k purchased for $16.5k. Iprstn, please keep us updated as this plays out.

Charlie D.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
People posting in this thread should consider that this BBS is visited regularly by Wyndham personnel whose responsibilities include finding and reporting on loopholes and glitches in their program. Unfortunately, it may be too late to unring this bell.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I won't burst her bubble. I hate to be a downer, when life is so short. With me though, losing the $16,500 is a hardship, cause I don't have that kind of money to just give away. Hence why I didn't purchase while in Hawaii. However, for her its a drop in the bucket as she is finiancially very comfortable and she gambles more at the roulette tables with her pin money than this TS cost her in her world.