• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My friend is giving us a Sheraton Vistana Property..Questions about taking Possession

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend has a week that she has not used in several years and is going to give it to me. What do I need to do to ensure the transfer is done correctly? She had several weeks and will give this to us so she no longer has the extra maintaniance fee.

This is a fixed week..Memorial Day Week. Also will we be able to trade through RCI with this week or just within the Sheraton System.

Please advise.

Thank You,

Sue

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend has a week that she has not used in several years and is going to give it to me. What do I need to do to ensure the transfer is done correctly? She had several weeks and will give this to us so she no longer has the extra maintaniance fee.

This is a fixed week..Memorial Day Week. Also will we be able to trade through RCI with this week or just within the Sheraton System.

Please advise.

Thank You,

Sue
Unless she is giving you a Sheraton Vistana Villages, in the key west or bella phase, you will NOT be able to trade internally through the Starwood Vacation Network. Your options in that case would be either to reserve your home week and use it or rent it out. Or use an external exchange company, all starwood properties trade with II (where you will have priority to exchange with other starwood units) and some are also affiliated with RCI in addition to II so you can take your pick.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I second the advice to determine exactly what phase it is. Because it may be better for you to informally take control of the week (e.g. reimburse them for the MFs in exchange for annual usage) rather than formally change the deed. Because unless it is one of two mandatory phases (Bella/Key West phases of Sheraton Vistana Villages), you will lose the ability to exchange within the Starwood network if the original buyer sells it.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club

If it's a fixed week it is likely a Sheraton Vistana [Resort] week, not a Sheraton Vistana Villages week. In that case, you would be able to trade through RCI or Interval.

What do you hope to accomplish with the week? We can advise better if we know what your goals are.

Best wishes,

Glorian

Last edited by a moderator:

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's a fixed week it is likely a Sheraton Vistana [Resort] week, not a Sheraton Vistana Villages week. In that case, you would be able to trade through RCI or Interval.

What do you hope to accomplish with the week? We can advise better if we know what your goals are.

Best wishes,

Glorian

Actually my niece was offered this week from a friend who has used it for years and is no longer using it. Her children are older and she has another floating week. So I was checking for her. They live in Florida and would love to ue the week in Orlando and also trade it for an other weeks if they cannot make the week they have which is fixed I understand. I asked her to check which part of the resort it is and am waiting for her to get back to me. I am certain your guess is correct though as tuggers know it all. I know Orlando would probably be where they use it the most but think they might want to trade elsewhere at times.

I am a Marriott owner and they have spent many weeks with us when we trade into Orlando. We own at the Aruba Surf.

When she told me about this a while back I said don't do anything until you find out what TS it is. When she mentioned Sheraton Vistana today I told her we had stayed there and you cannot go wrong with a Sheraton property even if she has to go through RCI or Interval.

The real question is how do they change the title from one person to the other. The women offering it would like it out of her name and I am not certain how that is done.

Please let me know if you know. WIll they need a title company or can they do it on their own if there is no money changing hands?

Thank You for all of your responses.

Sue

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could do it on their own. Check the Orange County Comptroller's website for fees and procedures ... maybe look at a recent deed transfer on their searchable database and mirror it ... but of course using the description on the real deed. Or, it can be done for as little as $99 through www.legaltimesharetransfers.com, a company many of us have used with no problems whatsoever.

A fixed Memorial week probably has better trading power than the blended trading power of a float week, but maybe isn't as strong as a fixed Spring Break or NY's week. Still, if they want to use it most of the time, and trade occasionally, it should work well. Make sure they know that they don't have to pay for an exchange company membership in the years they're not trading. RCI and II make a ton of money from people who think they need to keep their memberships alive even when not in use.

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could do it on their own. Check the Orange County Comptroller's website for fees and procedures ... maybe look at a recent deed transfer on their searchable database and mirror it ... but of course using the description on the real deed. Or, it can be done for as little as $99 through www.legaltimesharetransfers.com, a company many of us have used with no problems whatsoever.

A fixed Memorial week probably has better trading power than the blended trading power of a float week, but maybe isn't as strong as a fixed Spring Break or NY's week. Still, if they want to use it most of the time, and trade occasionally, it should work well. Make sure they know that they don't have to pay for an exchange company membership in the years they're not trading. RCI and II make a ton of money from people who think they need to keep their memberships alive even when not in use.

Thank you all for the information.

Sue