• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My cousin just died of Covid

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sympathies. My nephew and his wife each got it (early 30s). They fortunately came through it well, even with his asthma. But you just never know, like that deputy.
The problem I see and keep reading about is what happens later. Many seem to have loss of lung capacity, aches and pains they never had before,heart problems. Hopefully your relatives don't end up with any after affects but in reality only time will tell.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
As we age we are definitely more vulnerable. I was talking to my 79 yo mom yesterday. She said 79 was the first year she has felt her age. That this year has definitely brought changes to her stamina and overall feeling of well being. Interestingly she blames a stroke she had 19 yrs ago. It mildly affected her equilibrium 19 yrs ago but now feels less steady on her feet.

Inactivity due to lock downs is not as easy to recover from for the elderly. Covid is scary for the elderly but I wonder about all the consequences of 2020. I heard 1 news report that put the death tole of these consequences at 100k. One third of the Covid death count. 2020 is not a good year, My heart goes out to anyone who experienced a personal loss.

RIP

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I see and keep reading about is what happens later. Many seem to have loss of lung capacity, aches and pains they never had before,heart problems. Hopefully your relatives don't end up with any after affects but in reality only time will tell.
I know. I hope youth cancels some of that out. My son had covid last week. It hit him suddenly. He was tested Wed. and did not get the results back until Sun. (Way too long, in my opinion). He felt lousy those days, but is about normal now. He and his wife are on their second week of quarantine. He lives nearby but I did not have close contact with them last week. But I did get to thinking, if I was sick election day, how could I vote? As a precaution, and since I work that day and would hit the late afternoon rush, I drove to the courthouse yesterday to pick up an absentee ballot and vote on the spot. The deadline to do that was 5 p.m. Monday, and I made it with two hours to spare.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Today, DW was called and offered a spot in a trial.
She declined saying, "At my age, I can't afford to be a guinea pig."

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister went to the service. My cousin played cards with her friends. She got infected there

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear of your loss. It happened so quickly. Her card-playing friends must be in shock. Take care.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’m soo sorry. Condolences.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rapmarks, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your loved one. There are some Tuggers that have not lost a love one to COVID-19. All I can say a loss to this virus is so sad because in the last days of your loved one LIFE. You and family members are not able to spend that one on one time with that loved one. IMHO.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My sister went to the service. My cousin played cards with her friends. She got infected there
That's so sad, @rapmarks, so sorry for your loss. I'll add my "card story". My husband has played cards for over 35 years with the same guys (a couple of them he went to kindergarten with). They play on Monday nights during Monday night football and have a big super bowl guys weekend at a cabin grand finale. There are 8 of them. This year my husband opted out. The other 7 played. Almost right away, they were exposed by one of them. 4 of them got covid. 2 others tested negative. 1 did not test (nor feel ill). Thankfully, I think all of them have recovered, some got sicker than others. All have comorbidities. The guys seem to be coming through it okay. BUT... one of their wives got it - spent 11 days in the hospital. She is home now, but still on oxygen. She is a nurse, all her co-workers got tested. No one else she works with got it. Only her. She is convinced she got it from her husband who got it at cards. The person that got it first, barely stayed home, he works at a grocery store. He certainly did not quarantine like he should have. I try really hard not to judge and just do my thing (or not do my thing if you look at it that way). But how many people end up in the hospital (or die) because of this type of attitude / behavior?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironically I just got an email that they plan to resume bridge and I was thinking of joining because they had lots of protocols in place. Now I don’t think I will play.
Please Be safe and practice social distancing, wash your hands and wear your mask.
May God Bless and Be With You.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We miss our weekly card playing. Haven't played since February because a hand injury took out one of our friends for two weeks, then by mid-March covid restrictions were in place. We talked briefly about a game in August -- masks on, no finger foods, move to the larger dining table for dessert/coffee. But bottom line during a pandemic there is no safe way to pass cards around from person to person for 3 hours -- it is simply not practical or health conscious. We walked in and out of stores among masked strangers all week in San Diego and Carlsbad, handling objects strangers had handled, but no way I'd pass a double deck of cards around for an evening with friends.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We heard the woman who passed on the virus was hospitalized four weeks but pulled through

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We miss our weekly card playing. Haven't played since February because a hand injury took out one of our friends for two weeks, then by mid-March covid restrictions were in place. We talked briefly about a game in August -- masks on, no finger foods, move to the larger dining table for dessert/coffee. But bottom line during a pandemic there is no safe way to pass cards around from person to person for 3 hours -- it is simply not practical or health conscious. We walked in and out of stores among masked strangers all week in San Diego and Carlsbad, handling objects strangers had handled, but no way I'd pass a double deck of cards around for an evening with friends.
What card game are you playing. There are some card games on the internet for four (4) players to play.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What card game are you playing. There are some card games on the internet for four (4) players to play.

We call it "Orlando" (the last name of our Italian friends). Our friends have no name for it. Cliff says it is very like canasta (which I've never played). Very easy to learn, and takes as much luck as it does skill. I have terrible short term memory -- I can only remember who has a certain card if I wanted it and that person picked it up. Our friend can tell what cards you likely have in your hand by the way you are playing -- yet he loses just as much as the rest of us in spite of having that skill, so I see no point in honing it! Cliff has a hard time seeing what is right in front of him on the table, and has gotten worse over time. It will be interesting to see what his skill level is if we can ever start playing again.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was playing "Hand Knee Foot" almost weekly and stopped towards end of February before most of the country decided to "lockdown". My friends continued to play but were forced to stop mid-March because of the mandate. Some of the folks have resumed their private weekly poker, farkle, mahjong and Hand Knee Foot. I just do not want to chance it. During lunch at our club, I overheard a server telling other servers that a TPC here has shutdown because 16 golfers caught COVID-19 during a tournament.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
@clifffaith, I am laughing at the part about the person with the remarkable memory still not doing any better. sounds like a fun time overall. @VacationForever, one thing at this house that is 'still allowed' is my husband playing golf. i do think he's pretty careful, at times (depending on covid numbers/risks) he rides in his own cart. my kids say he'd go crazy without it (but somehow it's fine for me to stop going to the gym, lol). anyways.. the watermark in the house is unfortunately a daughter who lost her first baby fullterm stillborn. She irrationally feels responsible for her death. And will repeatedly say she cannot feel responsible for another person's death, thus is super protective of us. So we have to respect some pretty stringent rules around here. Between that and my other daughter being a doctor, we definitely err on the side of caution in this family.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. My mother, 80, had started meeting her prior work friends again for lunch every week toward the end of the summer. They would bring their lunches and meet at a park where they could spread out and eat outdoor. Last week was the first week they were scheduled to meet indoors at a restaurant and at the last minute she decided nope, not going to do it. So glad she is being extra cautious.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@clifffaith, I am laughing at the part about the person with the remarkable memory still not doing any better. sounds like a fun time overall. @VacationForever, one thing at this house that is 'still allowed' is my husband playing golf. i do think he's pretty careful, at times (depending on covid numbers/risks) he rides in his own cart. my kids say he'd go crazy without it (but somehow it's fine for me to stop going to the gym, lol). anyways.. the watermark in the house is unfortunately a daughter who lost her first baby fullterm stillborn. She irrationally feels responsible for her death. And will repeatedly say she cannot feel responsible for another person's death, thus is super protective of us. So we have to respect some pretty stringent rules around here. Between that and my other daughter being a doctor, we definitely err on the side of caution in this family.
My husband and I continue to play golf and in our own golf cart. We have not had golfers catch COVID-19 at the club yet.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was playing "Hand Knee Foot" almost weekly and stopped towards end of February before most of the country decided to "lockdown". My friends continued to play but were forced to stop mid-March because of the mandate. Some of the folks have resumed their private weekly poker, farkle, mahjong and Hand Knee Foot. I just do not want to chance it. During lunch at our club, I overheard a server telling other servers that a TPC here has shutdown because 16 golfers caught COVID-19 during a tournament.

I've never heard of either HKF or farkle. We were reviewing a three year old events calendar from the old folks home during our visit to Carlsbad this week and saw that they play bunko -- I have no memory of how it's played, only that the time I played there were multiple tables and you changed tables during the play and that it was easy to pick up. I like easy to play -- count me out on trying bridge or hearts at this point. My parents played bridge, and one of my fond childhood memories is hearing the adults talking and laughing in the dining room every few months when it was held at our house. Of course the house smelled like cigarettes for days afterwards.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are several "bridges card games that you can play on the internet, depending on the level of the card players. Just search bridges card game online .

Several are free to play,

There are games for two (2) and four (4) card players online.. Good Luck.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Ironically I just got an email that they plan to resume bridge and I was thinking of joining because they had lots of protocols in place. Now I don’t think I will play.
Please don’t play. Wrong wrong wrong