• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My confirmed vacation has been “upgraded” to another city and date!

lynne1956

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a confirmed stay at Anchorage Resort in Key Largo, FL. 5/8-5/15/22 for almost 2 years (made with RCI via the HGVC portal). I live in California, so our flights were made long ago. I’ve been exchanging to various places with RCI in the same way for 25 years.
Today (Sunday 5/1) I received an email from RCI saying that due to our “flexible request” our week has been upgraded-TO THE GALLEON IN KEY WEST STARTING ON 5/7-5/14!! This is 6 days away!
I never asked for Key West, the dates are a real problem, and don’t want this; but it’s already been changed in the system without my consent!
Of course, today is Sunday and RCI and HGVC are closed. All I can do is fume & worry about how my vacation has been hijacked…

Has this happened to anyone else?

Lynne

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
rci chat is available today. When you go through the hilton portal to rci is that an option for you? I've never heard of them setting an upgrade request without the member initiating it but there is always a first.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If the vacation you just lost is what you have to have, I would book it in general inventory if it is available and try to sort it out on the phone tomorrow.

You have until the end of tomorrow to cancel, anyway. If someone else books it, you will have more challenges.

I’ve had a confirmed stay at Anchorage Resort in Key Largo, FL. 5/8-5/15/22 for almost 2 years (made with RCI via the HGVC portal). I live in California, so our flights were made long ago. I’ve been exchanging to various places with RCI in the same way for 25 years.
Today (Sunday 5/1) I received an email from RCI saying that due to our “flexible request” our week has been upgraded-TO THE GALLEON IN KEY WEST STARTING ON 5/7-5/14!! This is 6 days away!
I never asked for Key West, the dates are a real problem, and don’t want this; but it’s already been changed in the system without my consent!
Of course, today is Sunday and RCI and HGVC are closed. All I can do is fume & worry about how my vacation has been hijacked…

Lynne

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'd say you lucked out big time! If you're flying into Miami it's three
more hours drive time than the Anchorage but so worth it.

We've stayed at both. We like the Anchorage and would go back there but the Galleon is just so much better it's no contest. We stayed at the Galleon in December and unfortunately it's a 1 in 4 resort so we can't exchange to go back there until 2025. I would consider buying a week there if I could find one at a price I'd be willing to pay so we wouldn't be constrained by the 1 in 4 rule.

I've never heard of anyone getting an upgrade to a different resort who didn't go through the process of creating a request. It would be the same process as requesting a larger unit but the Anchorage only has one size unit.

We highly recommend Schooner Wharf in Key West. We ate there three times the week we stayed at the Galleon. The $17.95 tuna nachos appetizer served on seaweed salad over crisp wontons is fantastic. Big enough to share or for a meal for one person. My husband likes ahi tuna and said he got more in that appetizer than he's gotten in dinners other places that he paid considerably more for. I ordered their $19.95 galley plate and picked the grilled mahi with three sides. I was really impressed with the large side of steamed vegetables. A nice mix of vegetables and not over done.

lynne1956

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses…we’ve stayed in Key West at the Galleon in the past, & at the Hyatt Beach House just 2 years ago. So, while I like Key West, I’m looking forward to hopefully exploring the upper Keys.
Couldn’t find the RCI chat via HGVC, & don’t have enough points to book another unit at the Anchorage right now.
So I’ll have to wait & hope this can all be straightened out tomorrow.
Lynne

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
@lynne1956 I sent you a private message on this via TUG.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
If you aren't planning to rent a boat, kayaks or paddleboards, do some fishing or diving I'm thinking you may not be very impressed with the Upper Keys. We live about 90 minutes from Key Largo and I wouldn't fly to California to stay in a similar area on the West Coast. However if you driven through the area on previous visits you likely know what to expect and won't be disappointed.

If RCI can't help you out I suggest calling the resort and explaining the situation to them. They might have enough units available that they could help you out with the dates.

If you do get your reservation at the Anchorage back you might want to do the glass bottom boat out to the coral reef at John Pennekamp State Park. The original African Queen boat from the movie is in Key Largo and offers rides to dinner at a local restaurant. We enjoyed eating outside at Key Largo Fisheries and they have local entertainment playing.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Lynne

I have looked at this feature in the past and it is usually an upgrade for unit size or resort but the fact that the date can change has always kept me from checking the box. Is your other week still showing as available in open inventory? If so, can you hold the week?

Good luck - hopefully you can get something to work out. Let us know how it turns out.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If this is the result of the RCI room upgrade and resort change feature …. it is one more example of RCI not operating in a way that makes sense and that fails to utilize technology.

This “upgrade” feature when you decide to use it only kicks in from between two weeks to three days before checkin.

The first couple of times I placed requests via this feature, I would get an email about 16 to 20 days before checkin telling me this feature was about to kick in, showing what my request was, and providing a link to change or cancel the request.

I use this feature frequently, and for the past year or so, I have no longer received the “heads up” “are you sure you want to do this” type emails? Why in the world would they quit sending those …. they could sure as heck prevent a bunch of problems from people that created such a request a year or two earlier and forgot about it.

It fits right in with the RCI tech of asking you if you want to receive notifications by text every time you check out, every time you click yes you get a text saying you have signed up, but they absolutely never use texts to communicate in any way.

I will be happy if HGVC/DRI expand Destination Exchange (DEX) as their exchange service and drop RCI.

#NewShape
#Reshaping Travel

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have looked at this feature in the past and it is usually an upgrade for unit size or resort but the fact that the date can change has always kept me from checking the box.

Complaints above from me aside, the feature has been good to me. If you click that you want to utilize it, you can easily check the box to keep it from changing your dates. I have gotten some nice upgrades by using this … but it is always random and chance if you get anything or not.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Complaints above from me aside, the feature has been good to me. If you click that you want to utilize it, you can easily check the box to keep it from changing your dates. I have gotten some nice upgrades by using this … but it is always random and chance if you get anything or not.
I didn't realize that you could choose to keep your dates. I just remember the popup about the dates potentially changing and I stopped at that point.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were pretty bored at The Anchorage. Went to the Miami Zoo. Tried to get in the Key Biscayne lighthouse. Drove around a bit. I would have loved the Galleon and I’ve been to Key West before. I live in S Florida.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have lived in both the Upper Keys and Key West. Each has its charms.

If you end up "stuck" with Key West, there is a recent thread "What do you love about Key West" elsewhere where I listed what I would do if I was dropped into town for a week.

One advantage Key West offers is that it is not necessary nor advisable to have a car there. Fly in, take a taxi to the Galleon and then a taxi back to the airport when you're done. Most of what you want to see is within easy walking distance. I never owned a car when I lived there. Wasn't necessary.

lynne1956

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone follow-up: I’ve gotten my original week at the Anchorage back, thanks to the quick, very helpful actions of TUG member “escanoe”!! He put the unit on hold and coordinated it’s release with me and RCI. It’s reinforced to me what a great group of people TUGGERS are! Thanks everyone for your advice and well wishes. And for those who wondered why I would choose The Anchorage over the Galleon, it’s because we’re snorkelers, and Key Largo is supposed to have awesome snorkeling spots.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
It's wonderful that a Tugger and RCI were able to work together to help you get what you wanted!

My husband, son and daughter-in-law did some diving and snorkeling at John Pennekamp State Park. They highly recommend it. I remember a post from a couple of years ago by someone who really likes the Upper Keys for the diving. If the diving is that good I'm assuming the snorkeling would be good too.

There's a Walmart Supercenter in Florida City that you may want to stop at on you way down. If not there's a Publix grocery store in Key Largo.

If I'm remembering correctly at the Anchorage there are no ovens, just a stove top, but the microwave was a convection one.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Yes, suggestions please!

Google Alabama Jack's. It's on Card Sound Road, which is a toll route. Since it's a toll route, few tourists take Card Sound. That's the way you want to go. Not the 18-mile Stretch to Key Largo. Card Sound to Key Largo. The only time I don't take Card Sound is if they have closed the road (for whatever reason. I always assume the billionaires over at the Ocean Reef Club have a button they can press to close Card Sound.)

Stop at Alabama Jack's for your first meal. And then stop again on your way out if you can. You can't go wrong at Alabama Jack's. I have never driven to or from Miami and not stopped there. (I won't drive the 18-mile stretch -- great way to get killed by a tourist who wants to get from MIA to Key West in 90 minutes flat.) I ate there last in 2019 and it was like I had never left home.

I don't have ANY recommendations for restaurants in Key Largo. Every place I knew is GONE. Sorry, you're on your own there. All my favorite places in Islamorada are still open though: Hog Heaven, Lorelei, Islamorada Fish, and the Green Turtle. It's been awhile since I've been to any of these, so read some reviews first. I did stop at the Islamorada Beer Company and tried their sampler. That's worth doing if you like craft beer. And there should be a Dion's gas station in Islamorada. Which means that you can get Dion's chicken there.

I'd pay $100 for a single piece of Dion's -- if you could get it to me hot and fresh from the fryer.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that you could choose to keep your dates. I just remember the popup about the dates potentially changing and I stopped at that point.
There is a section to put the dates you would accept. I've left the dates the same and was successful in getting a 2BR from a 1 BR in the Algarve. I was already in a 2BR for the first week at same resort. They didn't move us so we were in same unit which was great.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I’m glad you got your week back. I’ve read enough episodes like this on TUG that I won’t utilize RCI unless I absolutely have too. When I make a reservation, it’s generally for a specific reason. In their mind it might be an upgrade, but if you’re not wanting the party atmosphere of Key West and you’re looking for something a little more laid back a rural, it’s a downgrade.
And changing the dates? You’ve got to be kidding me. For anyone who has flights this is not only an inconvenience it can become very costly depending on hotel availability and how many rooms are necessary.
For any company to arbitrarily change the location and dates of a reservation is just bad business.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you got your week back. I’ve read enough episodes like this on TUG that I won’t utilize RCI unless I absolutely have too. When I make a reservation, it’s generally for a specific reason. In their mind it might be an upgrade, but if you’re not wanting the party atmosphere of Key West and you’re looking for something a little more laid back a rural, it’s a downgrade.
And changing the dates? You’ve got to be kidding me. For anyone who has flights this is not only an inconvenience it can become very costly depending on hotel availability and how many rooms are necessary.
For any company to arbitrarily change the location and dates of a reservation is just bad business.
To be fair to RCI, the user selected the upgrade option, which is why the changes happened.

A user that had to pick The Anchorage because of availability and chose the upgrade option might be overjoyed to get the Galleon.

Perhaps it could be more clear what the repercussions are for selecting that option. I have eyeballed it in the past but also decided against it over concerns I might get something I don't want.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be fair to RCI, the user selected the upgrade option, which is why the changes happened.

A user that had to pick The Anchorage because of availability and chose the upgrade option might be overjoyed to get the Galleon.

Perhaps it could be more clear what the repercussions are for selecting that option. I have eyeballed it in the past but also decided against it over concerns I might get something I don't want.
Usually I try for the upgrade but must limit it to the same resort and dates, otherwise this happens. I've been fortunate and pleased. There's an area to check off boxes as on my screen you must put in specific resorts, otherwise it's just open.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Usually I try for the upgrade but must limit it to the same resort and dates, otherwise this happens. I've been fortunate and pleased. There's an area to check off boxes as on my screen you must put in specific resorts, otherwise it's just open.

I'm careful about what I select also. Different dates and a larger unit at the same resort or just the same dates and a larger unit. There's a limit of five choices so that leaves me with four other resorts I can pick. With each of those resorts I can select a check in day if more than one check in day is an option.
We've used 10 weeks so far this year and have another 3 booked. I did create an upgrade request for some of the weeks we've used so far but just for a larger unit. I figure it never hurts to try but had no expectation of getting a larger unit on any of them because it wasn't realistic based on where and when we were going. I have an upgrade request on just one of the weeks later this year and for that one I do have a good chance of getting either a larger unit or one of the other resorts I selected.

My track record for getting upgrades so far this year is at an all time low but that's on me not RCI. However we still have a lot of points left and there's seven more months of the year to go.