• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVCI points purchase via the secondary market

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
Hello,
I am currently an "owner" level of MVCI and looking at purchasing points to move to the next level "select". How does the secondary market work? If I purchase on the secondary market will the points be added to my existing point total to achieve the next level and receive the perks of that level (13 month reservation window). Will the points anniversary date convert to my anniversary date or remain with the original purchasers anniversary date? Will the MVCI website/customer service recognize the additional points under my account?

Thanks

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
While attending a sales presentation this week, I was told that points purchased on the secondary market do not apply to status level. This was a salesman speaking, so of course you should check such facts independently.

arizzuto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally all developers only recognize points bought directly from sales personnel in their organization. I am a owner in club Wyndham and bought points through TUG. Those points are usable within Wyndham but do not count toward status.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
There have been several TUGgers who have purchased MVC DC points via the secondary market and all of them have reported that the resale purchased points DO INDEED count toward ownership status, as long as you pay MVC the junk fees (see Points FAQ sticky for details, but they basically equate to $2 a point) to open the points up for full access in the system.

As for your Use Year question, it is my understanding the Use Year of the resale purchased points would remain as they were based on prior owners Use Year.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I believe Steven Ting just purchased points resale to achieve the next level of status. You want to PM him to confirm no surprises.

Good luck!

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I would question whether it is worth it to buy points just to move up from "Owner" to "Select". The only significant difference that I am aware of between "Owner" and "Select" is that Select level can make 7-night reservations 13-months out without paying the 20% point premium. So you can already make a reservation 13-months out now as an "Owner", you just have to use 20% more points. When I've looked at the numbers, it makes more financial sense just to rent enough points to cover the 20% upcharge and save the upfront cost of more points. Let's say you have a reservation that normally requires 3500 points, but as an "Owner" it would cost you 4200 points to book prior to 12-months out. Those extra 700 points could be rented for $0.55 to $.60 per point, so the cost to cover the premium would be $385 to $420 each time you had to do that. And you would have to pay about the same amount in maintenance fees on your added resale points, so it really makes more sense just to rent the points you need to cover the 20% premium instead of forking out thousands of dollars for resale points.

Unlike when you move up to Executive level and get some real, improved booking rights such as shorter stays, luxury properties, etc, moving up to Select has very little tangible benefit.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you already have enrolled weeks (but no points otherwise) which of the "junk" fees do you have to pay?
I am 6000+ with weeks, and have some spare $ so was thinking of maybe buy 1000 to get to Executive.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If you already have enrolled weeks (but no points otherwise) which of the "junk" fees do you have to pay?
I am 6000+ with weeks, and have some spare $ so was thinking of maybe buy 1000 to get to Executive.

You will have to pay the $2 per point fees to fully activate any resale points. So, whatever resale price you can get that will pass ROFR plus $2 per point. That will probably mean 1000 Points would cost $6000 to $7000 plus closing costs. In my opinion, the benefits of Executive would be well worth such a small upgrade cost.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have to pay the $2 per point fees to fully activate any resale points. So, whatever resale price you can get that will pass ROFR plus $2 per point. That will probably mean 1000 Points would cost $6000 to $7000 plus closing costs. In my opinion, the benefits of Executive would be well worth such a small upgrade cost.
Other question is where best source to find resale points?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would definitely PM @StevenTing to discuss it if you're really interested. I think he may have a few 'tips' to assist you.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Jim is correct about the $2/point junk fee, however there is a minimum fee of $3,000 so factor that into the number of points you buy - 1,500 may be the right level depending on price. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Jim is correct about the $2/point junk fee, however there is a minimum fee of $3,000 so factor that into the number of points you buy - 1,500 may be the right level depending on price. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Greg, thanks for bringing up the $3000 minimum. I always seem to forget to factor that in for some reason. I guess it’s because any points buy we would ever decide to do would have to be well over the minimum to be useful, so whenever I’m running our numbers, the minimum is irrelevant. Then when a question about a sub-1500 point purchase comes up, I forget to factor in the $3000 minimum.

Based on that, my $6000 to $7000 cost I quoted above for a 1000 point purchase is probably low. Probably would cost $7000 to $8000 unless the OP was able to slip something by ROFR at a very low price like you and Steven were able to do. IMHO that’s still an attractive cost for moving up to Executive. Wish we could do it that cheaply...☹️

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently an "owner" level of MVCI and looking at purchasing points to move to the next level "select". How does the secondary market work? If I purchase on the secondary market will the points be added to my existing point total to achieve the next level and receive the perks of that level (13 month reservation window). Will the points anniversary date convert to my anniversary date or remain with the original purchasers anniversary date? Will the MVCI website/customer service recognize the additional points under my account?

Thanks
Its been a couple of years for me, so Steven would have the most current information. My secondary point purchase has been treated in all aspects as being purchased directly from Marriott. I obtained the higher status and they show up in my account like the others. As indicated above, they retained their original use year, so it makes for a little more work. I did pay the junk fees but not the "education fee". I used David Cortese at Magical Realty and he was professional, informative, and got the job done.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its been a couple of years for me, so Steven would have the most current information. My secondary point purchase has been treated in all aspects as being purchased directly from Marriott. I obtained the higher status and they show up in my account like the others. As indicated above, they retained their original use year, so it makes for a little more work. I did pay the junk fees but not the "education fee". I used David Cortese at Magical Realty and he was professional, informative, and got the job done.
Was the "Education Fee" waived because you already owned DC points or did you only have enrolled weeks and that counted too?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My "Education Fee" was not waived even though I was already enrolled.

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
There have been several TUGgers who have purchased MVC DC points via the secondary market and all of them have reported that the resale purchased points DO INDEED count toward ownership status, as long as you pay MVC the junk fees (see Points FAQ sticky for details, but they basically equate to $2 a point) to open the points up for full access in the system.

As for your Use Year question, it is my understanding the Use Year of the resale purchased points would remain as they were based on prior owners Use Year.

Our resale points counted toward our ownership level. Use year remains the use year of the previous owner. This is something to check on when considering buying a particular batch of points. I would ask the seller/broker, "What is the use year of the points", to ensure you are getting the window/anniversary dates you want.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Agreed. We worked with David Cortese at Magical Realty as well. Highly recommend.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was the "Education Fee" waived because you already owned DC points or did you only have enrolled weeks and that counted too?
The education fee is only waived if you already own 'pure points' (meaning not an enrolled week, but points you actually purchased).

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you buy from Marriott direct, you will pay full retail price for 1,000 points. If you buy resale points, you will have to pay all of the junk fees if this is your first purchase of pure points.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Best,

Greg

Agreed. 1,500 points is the minimum to 'break even' on the $3,000 minimum junk fee.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, thanks for bringing up the $3000 minimum. I always seem to forget to factor that in for some reason. I guess it’s because any points buy we would ever decide to do would have to be well over the minimum to be useful, so whenever I’m running our numbers, the minimum is irrelevant. Then when a question about a sub-1500 point purchase comes up, I forget to factor in the $3000 minimum.

Based on that, my $6000 to $7000 cost I quoted above for a 1000 point purchase is probably low. Probably would cost $7000 to $8000 unless the OP was able to slip something by ROFR at a very low price like you and Steven were able to do. IMHO that’s still an attractive cost for moving up to Executive. Wish we could do it that cheaply...☹️

To buy just 1,000 points resale, I would say $8k 'all-in' is a reasonable estimate.

Shelley

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
MVC points bought directly from an owner, secondary market, ie. resale, will count toward the next level - they are identical to the points bought from Marriott. $8k 'all in' is on the high side for 1000 MVC points.