• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Resale - Where to begin?

alphaomega0

Reaction score
Earlier this year we almost purchased a small number of MVC points but backed out after realizing that we didn’t have enough to get a week at most resorts. That was direct with MVC.

We also realized we could get much more points for lesser amounts of money at resale. I’ve seen there are additional costs the MVC charges buyers (like $3/pt on top of listed prices).

Where do we start looking for resale opportunities? Anything else to know before diving into the research? Thanks!

curitiba_tapley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club
Marriott's Harbor Lake
Club Wyndham Access
Earlier this year we almost purchased a small number of MVC points but backed out after realizing that we didn’t have enough to get a week at most resorts. That was direct with MVC.

We also realized we could get much more points for lesser amounts of money at resale. I’ve seen there are additional costs the MVC charges buyers (like $3/pt on top of listed prices).

Where do we start looking for resale opportunities? Anything else to know before diving into the research? Thanks!

You can also go to ebay and search for MCV Destination Points (or some variant). Also ROFR.net will give you an idea of what the latest accepted price for points has been by MCV. When looking at points, don't forget to consider the amount as well as when the annual usage begins (most contracts nowadays are for January - but there are contracts (My wife and I are one of them) that have points where the usage year starts in months other than January.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Have you considered a resale week? Points are very flexible, but even resale points usually cost much more than owning a deeded week. Especially if there is one place where you can see yourself returning to much of the time.

I agree with www.Redweek.com for either weeks or points.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I'd echo what others have said about considering starting out with a resale deeded week.

Points do offer the most flexibility but when you buy them for $2.5-$3.5/point you also need to pay $3/point to Marriott which you never recover. That means that if you decide this was not for you and want to exit soon thereafter, you still lose ~50% of what you paid, even though you bought resale. On the other hand, if you buy a resale week and pay "fair value", you can probably sell it later on for a similar amount and potentially just lose out on closing costs ($300-$500).

What week to buy depends on what you are trying to achieve. Some use the mantra "buy where you want to go", while others will buy a cheap "trader" and use it savvily to get great exchanges to various locations. You may also want to consider a "mandatory" Vistana (Westin/Sheraton/Atlantis - now part of MVC) week which will at least come with Staroptions (Vistana points "currency") and can trade internally within the Vistana system using that currency. Much more on that topic in the separate Vistana forum sticky.

Also, consider renting on Redweek for a couple of times to see how much you like the accommodations. In fact, many people who like timeshares prefer to just rent on a consistent basis without the ownership obligations.

Jblub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a consensus for what the best value in resale weeks are for the MVC system in terms of dollar per point and MFs? Or do all the resale weeks need to go through an enrollment process to be able to be converted into points and used within Abound now?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Is there a consensus for what the best value in resale weeks are for the MVC system in terms of dollar per point and MFs? Or do all the resale weeks need to go through an enrollment process to be able to be converted into points and used within Abound now?
Resale weeks are currently not Abound eligible. I expect that will change over time, but I also expect that the cost of enrolling a resale week will be in five figures.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale weeks are currently not Abound eligible. I expect that will change over time, but I also expect that the cost of enrolling a resale week will be in five figures.
Yeah that June 2010 cutoff date is still in place. At that time and several years after I don't think any of us thought it would still be in place but here it still remains. I did start negotiating a while back but it got nowhere because they wanted a points purchase so high it was ridiculous.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah that June 2010 cutoff date is still in place. At that time and several years after I don't think any of us thought it would still be in place but here it still remains. I did start negotiating a while back but it got nowhere because they wanted a points purchase so high it was ridiculous.
And for other regions. the cutoff date for Europe is 2012 and for Asia is 2016.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We had a resale week bought after 2010. About every other year, MVC would offer us a chance to enroll our week if we bought more points ( about 2500 pts) Each time they said they would never offer to do this again and have always made the offer ~ 2 years. Will they do this again?? Who knows?

BTW A year ago, we did buy the pts and enrolled our post 2010 week.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a resale week bought after 2010. About every other year, MVC would offer us a chance to enroll our week if we bought more points ( about 2500 pts) Each time they said they would never offer to do this again and have always made the offer ~ 2 years. Will they do this again?? Who knows?

My issue is I have 19 weeks. The points needed to enroll them all is insanity and then the maintenance fees to go with it. I could do a few, but I am so used to getting what I consider acceptable for cheap that I just can't bring myself to do that.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My issue is I have 19 weeks. The points needed to enroll them all is insanity and then the maintenance fees to go with it. I could do a few, but I am so used to getting what I consider acceptable for cheap that I just can't bring myself to do that.
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
My suggestions:
1 - Buy great resale weeks - ones you would use frequently, ones with high demand in good seasons, ones with high rents and easy to rent. We bought platinum OceanWatch and Newport Coast for these reasons and are very glad. (A Marriott person told me today that OceanWatch, Hawaii, & Hilton Head are the most in demand resorts as people use their weeks - Not much available for points.)
2 - Realize that points are just a currency with an immense up-front cost and high maintenance fees. Oh, and they suffer an immediate loss in value (unlike good resale weeks). US dollars from rentals are also a currency but a currency that is much more flexible in use. Think about generating cash from rentals and then spending it on renting what you want when you want it.
3 - Don't worry so much about what you pay for a resale (bottom feeder mentality) and concentrate on the quality of the week (season and location), value in use, or as a rental. There are junk weeks as there are 52 weekly uses for each timeshare sold.
4 - The new participant in timeshare should never start out by buying points. First, you will not buy enough points to do anything (are you up to buying 5,000 points at a minimum - $60,000 to $80,000). Second, the immediate and sure write-off in market value. Third, can you get the good reservations you want as a new participant with no status (unlikely). You can test this easily by doing a search of better resorts for a high season to see availability - Try OceanWatch for June, July, and August - and there are many others.

Good luck, only my view...

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.
Unless you have a well thought out plan on how you would use all those points, don't enroll weeks to get the points. "MVC should actually be paying us to enroll our good weeks" as they need the weeks to cover the lack of good inventory for point spenders. They are not buying the great resorts and not exercising the ROFR's for great resorts and need our weeks to enhance the inventory available in relation to the number of points outstanding. Remember, they haven't added much good to great stuff in the first 12 years of the points program.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be worth considering in certain situations. Hypothetically, would it be worth enrolling for the purchase of say a single event/Plus week on St. Kitt's or Aruba?

mabellee

TUG Member
Reaction score

How many points did you have to purchase to do that?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We don't own anything but resale weeks and didn't go for the DC points that others are recommending via resale. YMMV, but for my MF dollar, the value of the weeks is still there for exchanging through II.

The weeks we bought at Palm Desert had a huge increase in MF for 2023, which makes me one unhappy owner currently. I should have known not to buy those. The fees were already high.

I do love Grand Chateau and Willow Ridge for trading purposes.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It might be worth considering in certain situations. Hypothetically, would it be worth enrolling for the purchase of say a single event/Plus week on St. Kitt's or Aruba?
Was worth it for my needs. I consider it prepaying my exchange and lock off fees for 8 years. Then it is gravy after that. It's been 3 or 4 years so halfway there. Well I like the no fee exchanges to Marriott. I am able to switch out units till I get the same view codes to match the others. My wife is a happy camper then I am a happy camper

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was worth it for my needs. I consider it prepaying my exchange and lock off fees for 8 years. Then it is gravy after that. It's been 3 or 4 years so halfway there. Well I like the no fee exchanges to Marriott. I am able to switch out units till I get the same view codes to match the others. My wife is a happy camper then I am a happy camper
It's been worth it for us as well though just looking at the dollars, it might not be justifiable. Part of my thinking was related to legacy options. I would think that IF (big if), one could get all 19 weeks enrolled for a single purchase, even if a higher spend, it'd be worth considering just for flexibility and options going forward.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What weeks are worthy of enrolling? We own Marriott's Grand Chateau (1 bed), a few Willow Ridge Lodge, and Shadow Ridge, those are all 2 bedrooms. I assume those are not worthy of a purchase to enroll.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
What weeks are worthy of enrolling? We own Marriott's Grand Chateau (1 bed), a few Willow Ridge Lodge, and Shadow Ridge, those are all 2 bedrooms. I assume those are not worthy of a purchase to enroll.

There are two reasons to enroll IMO. First is to convert weeks to points at a lower maintenance fee per point than regular points are. Most platinum season weeks do that, some way better than others. Generally the higher the spend to acquire it on the resale market, the better that conversion rate. The second is if you're a big trader in Interval and want to save on the lock off, trade, and eplus fees which can amount to $250 or so a week. If you trade a ton like @frank808 does, you can recoup that investment before too long.

Having enrolled weeks gives you a ton of flexibility, but certainly comes at a cost. You can determine where you want to go and when in the Marriott ecosystem, then determine whether it's cheaper to go with points or by trading.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are MVC sales people independent contractors who work solely on commission? That would explain some of these deceptive practices. We’ve owned since 2004, joined DC when it started and added points in 2011. In between we sat for a couple of sales pitches but never had a bad experience until approximately 2016 when the salesperson was visibly angry when we declined.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO reasons to enroll are related to flexibility of the points system and the judgement whether the cost justifies the benefits. It may not in this situation as the cost to enroll will likely be in the $50K range though ill come with an additional week and/or points. Depending on how you use them, you'd still potentially pick up a corporate II account, free MVC to MVC exchanges, free cancelations/changes and free lockout's. I don't know if you have the option of points with your Westin weeks but if not, it'd also give you the ability to receive transferred points. Unless you need the additional points/week it's likely not worth it in this situation OR you might want to consider adding weeks that would be high value/low fees prior to conversion if you were considering it anyway.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I had to buy 2500 pts to enroll a week worth about 2800 pts