• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Resale Lock-off unit for weeks owners

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Hi everyone. I have been a Marriott Vacation Club owner for over 9 years. We originally bout a lock-off unit from the developer. The system was working beautifully until Marriott went to the points program, then "the trust". We used to lock off our unit and trade the studio and then the next time, the 1 bedroom into resorts that only had 2 and 3 bedroom units. So we alway upgraded. This was a loop-hole the salesman told us during our annual update meeting.

I purchased a resale lock-off unit from Marriott Vacation Club resales. I wanted the lock off so I could continue to do what I have done, lock it off and make it 2 weeks instead of 1. I asked the resale representative if I could continue to do that buying resale and of course she said yes. When we tried to use it for the first time last year, they would not let us lock it off. I could not get a strait answer from them, or Interval International, but I was not able to lock it off.

Does anyone know how to lock-off a resale unit? Is there a place I can go to read info on how to do this, because neither Marriott or Interval can help us? Since I do not own a specific unit with Marriott (just platinum weeks), why sell it as a lock off if I can't lock it off and turn 1 unit into 2? We stopped paying an now battling with Marriott. I would like to keep it, but only if I can lock it off.

Thanks in advance.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If a resort has lockoff units, then you can request Marriot to lock off the unit with a $80 fee. Lockoff capability has nothing to do with whether it is developer bought or resale.

Some resorts have both 2BR Lockoff units and 2BR dedicated units. If all the lockoff units have been booked and then you call in, you will not be able to lockoff the unit. If you book exactly at 13 months or 12 months right at 9am Eastern time, and the resort has lockoff units, then Marriott should be able to lock off for you.

Which resort did you buy at?

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Thank you. So do I have to call Marriott, or Interval. We used to call both, but mostly we would deposit in Interval, then request to trade one of the lock-off units for something else. Usually at Cypress Harbour because they only had 2-3 bedroom units. Neither place would let us lock off last year. Do I have to get a new membership in interval for this resale unit I bought? I'm still a little confused. This should have been so easy like in the past.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a Marriott Vacation Club owner for over 9 years. We originally bout a lock-off unit from the developer. The system was working beautifully until Marriott went to the points program, then "the trust". We used to lock off our unit and trade the studio and then the next time, the 1 bedroom into resorts that only had 2 and 3 bedroom units. So we alway upgraded. This was a loop-hole the salesman told us during our annual update meeting.

I purchased a resale lock-off unit from Marriott Vacation Club resales. I wanted the lock off so I could continue to do what I have done, lock it off and make it 2 weeks instead of 1. I asked the resale representative if I could continue to do that buying resale and of course she said yes. When we tried to use it for the first time last year, they would not let us lock it off. I could not get a strait answer from them, or Interval International, but I was not able to lock it off.

Does anyone know how to lock-off a resale unit? Is there a place I can go to read info on how to do this, because neither Marriott or Interval can help us? Since I do not own a specific unit with Marriott (just platinum weeks), why sell it as a lock off if I can't lock it off and turn 1 unit into 2? We stopped paying an now battling with Marriott. I would like to keep it, but only if I can lock it off.

Thanks in advance.
It really should make absolutely no difference at all whether it is a developer or resale week, as far as the MVC Owner website is concerned.
If it is a lock off, when you “Select Usage Option” as “Occupy” you should be invited you to select “Villa Portion” from which you can choose “Master Suite”, “Deluxe Guest Room”...
Do you get this option with your Developer week, but not your Resale week?

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval has no role in the original lock off process. You can either book your entire unit or master/lock off at Marriott's website or via phone. The 12 month rule applies unless you have multiple weeks, which then lets you book at 13 months. Once the booking is made, then you can deposit them in Interval and seek your trades. The one thing that comes to mind is if you bought your resale week at a resort that doesn't have them (two bedroom only locations). Otherwise, resale or not, the lock off process is still working. You will need to pay a lock off fee ($75 ?) to Marriott, and any unit booked at Interval with the lock off portion into a larger unit will require a "room upgrade" fee.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Interval has no role in the original lock off process. You can either book your entire unit or master/lock off at Marriott's website or via phone. The 12 month rule applies unless you have multiple weeks, which then lets you book at 13 months. Once the booking is made, then you can deposit them in Interval and seek your trades. The one thing that comes to mind is if you bought your resale week at a resort that doesn't have them (two bedroom only locations). Otherwise, resale or not, the lock off process is still working. You will need to pay a lock off fee ($75 ?) to Marriott, and any unit booked at Interval with the lock off portion into a larger unit will require a "room upgrade" fee.

That's how I thought it was supposed to work. We did definitely buy a 2 bedroom - 2 bath lock off through Marriott Resale, but they wouldn't let us lock it off. I don't know who to go to in order to get this straightened out. There's no documentation from Marriott to explain this process that I know of. It's really frustrating.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Thank you for your help.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So do I have to call Marriott, or Interval. We used to call both, but mostly we would deposit in Interval, then request to trade one of the lock-off units for something else. Usually at Cypress Harbour because they only had 2-3 bedroom units. Neither place would let us lock off last year. Do I have to get a new membership in interval for this resale unit I bought? I'm still a little confused. This should have been so easy like in the past.
Nothing has changed between now and the past for weeks ownership. What do you own?

Locking off an unit is done on the Marriott end, and has nothing to do with II. Your resort must have lockoff units otherwise you cannot lock off.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
I own and every other year 2 bedroom lock off at Harbour Lake, which we have used 1 unit every year because of the lock off. I always thought we locked off through interval, and then deposited it with them. I could be wrong. I also bought and every year 2 bedroom lock off at Grande Vista. That is the one that they said we couldn't lock off and deposit.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own and every other year 2 bedroom lock off at Harbour Lake, which we have used 1 unit every year because of the lock off. I always thought we locked off through interval, and then deposited it with them. I could be wrong. I also bought and every year 2 bedroom lock off at Grande Vista. That is the one that they said we couldn't lock off and deposit.
Are you booking Grande Vista exactly at 12 months? If inventory for lockoff units has run out, then you cannot lockoff. Which date are you trying to book?

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
I did't try locking off yet this year Actually we are in a dispute situation with Marriott for this reason. Last year however, they just flat out said we couldn't lock off an deposit both parts. I couldn't understand that because that was the whole reason we bought it. It would give us 2 weeks from the unit by locking off. Then I think they mentioned something about enrolling in the Florida plan, but why should my lock-off resale unit be limited to Florida.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you booking Grande Vista exactly at 12 months? If inventory for lockoff units has run out, then you cannot lockoff. Which date are you trying to book?

I can only say that I used the lock off feature for my 2019 stay in Maui using a resale week. I didn’t deposit the unit/s because we want to use them, but this one week was purchased from Marriott resale’s. I suggest you call Marriott’s owner services line and talk to an agent. Maybe there’s something special about your unit. I also suggest you look at “my inventory” on the Marriott timeshare website and see how the unit is shown for making reservations. It should show an option to reserve the entire unit or the two: master unit and guest room.
But I’m firmly convinced that the policy on locking off has not changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do you have access to an online Marriottvacationclub.com account. If not get it. I wonder if you are having language problems explaining what you are trying to do. If you have online access you can see the options yourself and make the lock off selection yourself.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
I can only say that I used the lock off feature for my 2019 stay in Maui using a resale week. I didn’t deposit the unit/s because we want to use them, but this one week was purchased from Marriott resale’s. I suggest you call Marriott’s owner services line and talk to an agent. Maybe there’s something special about your unit. I also suggest you look at “my inventory” on the Marriott timeshare website and see how the unit is shown for making reservations. It should show an option to reserve the entire unit or the two: master unit and guest room.
But I’m firmly convinced that the policy on locking off has not changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know that's why I can't understand this. I have used the lockoff feature for the past 9 years. I definitely bought a lock off on resale, but they won't lock it off. I can't talk to anyone at Marriott because they have not been helpful at all. Things seem to change so much there with everyone trying to convert me to points. Thank you so much for your input.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Talking to my wife just now, they told us we couldn't break it up because we are in the Florida plan. I didn't sign up for that. Not even sure what it is.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talking to my wife just now, they told us we couldn't break it up because we are in the Florida plan. I didn't sign up for that. Not even sure what it is.
Marriott's Grande Vista is in the Florida Club (some of the units are not). But being in Florida Club simply provides more options on how you can use your week to book at other Florida resorts without going through Interval International. It does not affect the ability to lock off and deposit into II.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Grande Vista is in the Florida Club (some of the units are not). But being in Florida Club simply provides more options on how you can use your week to book at other Florida resorts without going through Interval International. It does not affect the ability to lock off and deposit into II.
Thank you. I just joined this site because my friend told me how helpful and nice everyone is. He is right. I wish I knew about this before buying from the developer and buying Resale through Marriott.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I just joined this site because my friend told me how helpful and nice everyone is. He is right. I wish I knew about this before buying from the developer and buying Resale through Marriott.

You are welcome. Just ask away. You can lockoff your Grande Vista week. We just need to figure out what is the problem.

Did you follow the steps poseted by bazzap above? You will need to sign on to marriottvacationclub.com.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Florida club has nothing to do with the ability to lock-off. The only possible exception is using a 2BR master side of a 3BR and booking at Beach Place and trying to lock-off a second time. Someone recently reported that they were told it is not possible.

All units at Grande Vista and Harbour Lake are not capable of being locked off, and this is the likely issue the OP is running into. It has always been this way since the properties opened. You simply cannot lock-off a unit that has no lock-off door. It is also impossible to only own a lock-off unit at these resorts since the deeded unit is not what is used for reservation purposes.

If you want to lock-off you have to reserve a lock-off capable unit, and sometimes there are none available.

On the Florida Club with Grande Vista either your unit is a part of it or it isn't. You cannot choose to join or opt out. The cost per year is only $4.00 and it never goes up.

If you look at your reservation on Marriott.com you will be able to see the unit type and whether it is a fixed 2BR unit or a lock-off capable unit. If it is a dedicated unit the only thing you can do to lock-off is try and see if a lock-off capable unit is available and have it switched.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saintsfanfl pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you find you are having difficulty locking off then it is likely that all the lock off capable units have been reserved, and the best suggestion there is to book sooner when your Gold or Platinum season opens (the early bird catches the worm) and this way you'll score a better chance to find a lock off week available, book it, and lock it off immediately.

As an alternative: If your unit is a member of the Florida Club then try to book a week at either Ocean Pointe or BeachPlace at the 6 month mark. All those units there DO lock off, and you can lock off your unit that way as an another way to get to the piece of cheese.

Let us know how you make out!

Reaction score
Similar enquiry

I own 2 x 3 bed lock offs. In theory could I lock off my 2 x 3 bed lock offs and have 3 weeks in a 2 bed instead? Or is this not possible?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar enquiry

I own 2 x 3 bed lock offs. In theory could I lock off my 2 x 3 bed lock offs and have 3 weeks in a 2 bed instead? Or is this not possible?

It is not possible without going to II. You could stay two weeks in a 2BR but your remainder would then be two studios, which cannot be joined together.

If your goal is Orlando it is pretty easy to trade two studios for two 2BR units. You would then have four straight weeks in a 2BR.

Jbalisteri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Grande Vista
Saintsfanfl pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you find you are having difficulty locking off then it is likely that all the lock off capable units have been reserved, and the best suggestion there is to book sooner when your Gold or Platinum season opens (the early bird catches the worm) and this way you'll score a better chance to find a lock off week available, book it, and lock it off immediately.

As an alternative: If your unit is a member of the Florida Club then try to book a week at either Ocean Pointe or BeachPlace at the 6 month mark. All those units there DO lock off, and you can lock off your unit that way as an another way to get to the piece of cheese.

Let us know how you make out!

Thank you I will. I am starting to find out exactly what you said. This didn't make sense to me because in 9 years, we have never had a problem with our first unit. We just locked it off and deposited it - sometimes very late (March/April) when traveling in July. I can see not having a unit available for me to trade, but not to lock off and just deposit. The first time it happened was last year when we tried to lock off our new resale unit. They said we weren't able to lock this unit off - yet it's a lock off. No one said why. Is there somewhere either through Interval of Marriott I can read how this works. Jeez, after 9 years you would think I would know. Is it better to deposit into II or Marriott. I have pretty much deposited into II and got a 2 bedroom for my studio or 1 bedroom. Now I have to pay an upgrade fee in II but at least I get the bigger unit. My have had done most of this, but like I said, it has been pretty easy up until last spring.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You need to reserve the unit as a master suite (1 BR) and a studio not necisarily for the same week, if you want to deposit it as two units with II. You will pay the $80 lock off fee when you book, I can't remember if it is the first smaller unit or the second, either way you only pay once. If the week is enrolled in the DC, which your recent Marriott brokered resale probably is not you will need to pay the fee. Alternatively you can reserve a 2 BR lock off unit but then you have to call Marriott, pay the fee and have them lock the unit off into two units. If your first unit is enrolled in the DC and your second unit is not you will have to pay for a separate II account for the non enrolled week. A non enrolled week can not be deposited with Marriott for DC points.