• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2019] MVC Owner Update for Sheraton Owner

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Except if those owners opt to play in the MVC world it will take both the VSN week and the VSN owner out of the VSN system. So, while there will be fewer weeks in VSN, there will also be fewer owners competing for those weeks. Same thing happened in the MVC system when they created the DC. Weeks that are elected for points come out of the legacy weeks system, but so does the owner competing for reservations. Unless participation was so massive that certain inventory became completely or almost unavailable in VSN, the VSN system should still function.
I would think the owners of undesirable resorts would want to book MVC. I would think most Westin owners would keep what they own for the most part.

I would bet a ton of SVV and other voluntary resort owners would be traveling the MVC catalog of resorts each year :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think that may have been what Jim and some others were musing about. Every coin has 2 sides and for MVC meeting their stockholders expectations may require coming up with a way to make it stand on end (to produce enough SPG participation to create MVC accessible inventory to promote sales while not making the cost of 'enrolling' that SPG inventory too low and fail to maximize profit in this area by mass enrolling SPG ownerhips and creating potential inventory competition on both sides of the field for both sets of owners - which was one of the MVC legacy weeks owners concerns when the Destination Points program was introduced in 2010).

It's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with, unless I figure it out first (which so far, I cannot make my quarter stand on its edge)...:eek:

Just put some glue on the table, that should help the quarter stand up. Haha.

I think they would start small and easy, maybe open up cross priority for VSN, HRC, and MVC resorts in interval for exchange in the short term. They can run it as a test to see how much it is utilized or just start there while they are working out a synergistic program.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I would think the owners of undesirable resorts would want to book MVC. I would think most Westin owners would keep what they own for the most part.

I would bet a ton of SVV and other voluntary resort owners would be traveling the MVC catalog of resorts each year :)

Except I would expect the SVVs of the world would get a smaller point allocation than the Westins. They would probably give the Westins a much higher point allocation to tempt those owners to play in MVC. That's one way they get Hawaii weeks deposited to the DC Exchange - give their owners a boatload of Points to work with.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just put some glue on the table, that should help the quarter stand up. Haha.

I think they would start small and easy, maybe open up cross priority for VSN, HRC, and MVC resorts in interval for exchange in the short term. They can run it as a test to see how much it is utilized or just start there while they are working out a synergistic program.

No disagreement w/starting small. A pilot approach (of some sort) would give them a way to establish a baseline (if they feel they need one). I think I figured out how to get my quarter to stand up. The answer was to spin it. See? All roads lead back to sales. :D

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Except I would expect the SVVs of the world would get a smaller point allocation than the Westins. They would probably give the Westins a much higher point allocation to tempt those owners to play in MVC. That's one way they get Hawaii weeks deposited to the DC Exchange - give their owners a boatload of Points to work with.
They no doubt would, unless they base it right off the star options chart. Or they could always re work the whole star option chart over and re set the valuations there too. Might be too much of an overhaul to do something like that. I was going to sell one of my deeds but I may keep it to see how it works out in the next year or two.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No disagreement w/starting small. A pilot approach (of some sort) would give them a way to establish a baseline (if they feel they need one). I think I figured out how to get my quarter to stand up. The answer was to spin it. See? All roads lead back to sales. :D
HAHAHA. cracking me up. The spin is always the way to go! Spin it fast and you can tell people it’s a nickel

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They no doubt would, unless they base it right off the star options chart. Or they could always re work the whole star option chart over and re set the valuations there too. Might be too much of an overhaul to do something like that. I was going to sell one of my deeds but I may keep it to see how it works out in the next year or two.

I would think Westin owners might find the following MVC properties of interest, and if they got enough value for playing in the MVC pool, they could be enticed:

KoOlina on Oahu
Waiohai in Poipu
Kauai Lagoons
Waikoloa Ocean Club
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Crystal Shores on Marco Island, FL
Grande Ocean, Barony, and Surfwatch on Hilton Head Island
Grande Chateau, Las Vegas

Those are all high-quality properties in places Westin has no presence that Westin owners would likely feel very comfortable at.

The VSE properties that could be used to entice MVC Owners would include:

Westin Los Cabos
Westin Lagunamar
Westin St. John
Harbourside at Atlantis

The Hyatt properties have a lot to offer both MVC and VSN owners, but I still don't think we'll see them play in any way except maybe through II:

Key West - Beach House, Sunset Harbor, and Windward Pointe
Sedona - Pinion Pointe
Carmel - Highlands Inn
Bonita Springs, FL - Coconut Plantation
Puerto Rico - Hacienda del Mar
Sarasota, FL - Siesta Key

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
He just stated that it was coming in 2020 and he could not supply us with any documentation. He gave the impression that the documentation was coming but he could not make it a guarantee in order for is to sign the contract. We are in no hurry. I would rather wait until something is officially announced by Marriott.

You’ll be waiting years!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I would think Westin owners might find the following MVC properties of interest, and if they got enough value for playing in the MVC pool, they could be enticed:

KoOlina on Oahu
Waiohai in Poipu
Kauai Lagoons
Waikoloa Ocean Club
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club

Those are all high-quality properties in places Westin has no presence that Westin owners would likely feel very comfortable at.

Westin Los Cabos
Westin Lagunamar
Westin St. John
Harbourside at Atlantis

The Hyatt properties have a lot to offer both MVC and VSN owners, but I still don't think we'll see them play in any way except maybe through II:

Sedona - Pinion Pointe
Carmel - Highlands Inn
Great assessment, although I disagree on the harborside resort at Atlantis. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I’d rather convert to bonvoy and stay at the cove. It’s decent but I think most MVC owners won’t find it up to their standards In accommodations. Aside from the access to the Atlantis, it’s just ok. I can bet MVC owners would run back to Aruba. Westin St. John is nice too but y’all have MVC ST Thomas which is just as nice and you don’t have to take a boat to get there.

I agree on the Westin front. We know most Westin owners love Hawaii since most of the Westin’s are on the west coast anyway. They would probably want more Hawaii options.

The beauty of owning SVV, EVERYWHERE pretty much appeals to me :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

KoOlina on Oahu
Waiohai in Poipu
Kauai Lagoons
Waikoloa Ocean Club
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club

Westin Los Cabos
Westin Lagunamar
Westin St. John
Harbourside at Atlantis

Sedona - Pinion Pointe
Carmel - Highlands Inn
I had asked earlier for a comparison between the various systems. Thanks for this post.

I don't know much about these resorts other than the Marriotts, but 4 Hawaii Marriotts as compared to Mexico, USVI and Bahamas seems like an unfair trade. Same with most of the Hyatts listed.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I don't know much about these resorts other than the Marriotts, but 4 Hawaii Marriotts as compared to Mexico, USVI and Bahamas seems like an unfair trade. Same with most of the Hyatts listed.

I own Ko Olina, but I would rate Westin St John higher than any of the Marriott Hawaii resorts. At least you cannot get WSJ via II, but you can get any Marriott Hawaii from II. Also Sheraton Kauai is just next door to Waiohai and it’s newer, I would not agree Marriott has advantage in Kauai. But I agree, it may not be fair to compare other Westin in Mexico to Hawaii. However in reality, unfortunately, Westin Mexico or Westin Desert has the same valuation as Hawaii in SOs chart

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I had asked earlier for a comparison between the various systems. Thanks for this post.

That may be In your opinion but half the country is closer to the Caribbean than Hawaii. They may have no desire for 8 resorts in Hawaii between MVC and Westin. The only comparison you can do Is location, for the most part. Everyone has different tastes and desires in a resort. Someone who loves fishing may see zero value in the best resort in Arizona.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I own Ko Olina, but I would rate Westin St John higher than any of the Marriott Hawaii resorts. At least you cannot get WSJ via II, but you can get any Marriott Hawaii from II. Also Sheraton Kauai is just next door to Waiohai and it’s newer, I would not agree Marriott has advantage in Kauai. But I agree, it may not be fair to compare other Westin in Mexico to Hawaii. However in reality, unfortunately, Westin Mexico or Westin Desert has the same valuation as Hawaii in SOs chart
Which is why I’m happy with my SVV platinum SO valuations. I’d expect them to fetch low DC values which is why I’d have to really evaluate how much usage I’d get in a joint program. Added Priority within II May benefit some more

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Just a reminder that there are quite a few other Westins and Hyatts (and Sheratons, too), I only listed the ones that to me seemed to offer the most value to MVC owners.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
However Hawaii has Intl markets. Similarly to Vegas. As well as the Deserts. Ppl love these areas.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Also Sheraton Kauai is just next door to Waiohai and it’s newer, I would not agree Marriott has advantage in Kauai.

Don't forget to factor in that Waiohai has Ocean View options and even the Island View units are very close to the beach, whereas the Sheraton timeshares are all Garden View and require a walk across a road and through the hotel property to get to the beach. Yes, the Sheraton is newer, but MVC does a very good job maintaining Waiohai. We were just there in February and it is a beautiful resort. We made the offer on our EOY resale while we were on the Big Island a couple weeks later. I suspect many will find it preferable to the set-up at the Sheraton.

Marriott also has Kauai Lagoons and Kauai Beach Club in the Kalapaki Beach area in Lihue, so I do think Westin owners will find that Marriott brings them value on Kauai.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Don't forget to factor in that Waiohai has Ocean View options and even the Island View units are very close to the beach, whereas the Sheraton timeshares are all Garden View and require a walk across a road and through the hotel property to get to the beach. Yes, the Sheraton is newer, but MVC does a very good job maintaining Waiohai. We were just there in February and it is a beautiful resort.

Ya, I was at Waiohai last year. Are you talking about OV in Waiohai? Maybe 3 units have REAL OV I believe. I stayed at OV, but it was really just resort view and Island View probably can see more ocean than OV. Waiohai is very nice and just older. Sheraton is just newer and at least the pool is OF. I don’t see any difference in view between the two, perhaps you stayed at the real OV in Waiohai. I heard Lagoon is nice but I never been there. For KBC, I think I’ll pass if I have these other choices. Don’t forget Westin Princeville offers the true Westin experience, just the location may not be ideal for some.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ya, I was at Waiohai last year. Are you talking about OV in Waiohai? Maybe 3 units have REAL OV I believe. I stayed at OV, but it was really just resort view and Island View probably can see more ocean than OV. Waiohai is very nice and just older. Sheraton is just newer and at least the pool is OF. I don’t see any difference in view between the two, perhaps you stayed at the real OV in Waiohai. I heard Lagoon is nice but I never been there. For KBC, I think I’ll pass if I have these other choices. Don’t forget Westin Princeville offers the true Westin experience, just the location may not be ideal for some.

There are only a few OV at Waiohai that would qualify as Ocean Front, but many that are ocean view - just some ocean views aren’t stellar. The best OV units go to multi week owners and other owners are next in line.

We stayed in an Island View and that’s also what we bought when we came home. We liked our view in Feb. Would be happy with the same in the future.

A98F109D-B456-4FFB-A170-1BF4B0B0E6DB.jpeg

Princeville where the Westin is has never appealed to us. Too cloudy and rainy in the winter.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be quite surprised if, this far out from program announcement, local sales reps have been informed of any actual conversion values of VSE weeks into the hypothetical new program. Since the OP's weeks are pretty much in places where MVC also has resorts, my suspicion is the sales rep was just using the current values in the MVC system for similar resorts and estimating the potential value of the OP's ownership. That's my guess, at least.
I'm getting some pretty good information that suggests the upper level sales team has already had some training on some new introductions but time will tell.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
infinity pool Westin Lagunamar lighter.jpg

lagunamar ocean.jpg

from the waterslide pano.jpg

westin lagunamar pools from building 9.jpg

(the second picture and the fourth are actual views from the balcony)

I have met many Westin Hawaii owners that prefer to go to Westin Lagunamar on a regular basis rather than to their home resorts and the exchange is 1:1 in the platinum season. I also met Marriott owners that loved Lagunamar. Hard not to like it actually. You may not find it fair but those that have visited the resort do.

I think it is also an East vs West coast matter. People on the East cost may find it hard to get to Hawaii on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, visiting Europe is much easier with direct flights to many big cities. So for them, travelling to Westin St John's, Westin Lagunamar or Harborside Bahamas may be an excellent option.

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting when an addition is made in any of these systems. They would be fully owned by the land trust and could be up for reservation grabs by all programs if you are in a high enough tier.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Great assessment, although I disagree on the harborside resort at Atlantis. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I’d rather convert to bonvoy and stay at the cove. It’s decent but I think most MVC owners won’t find it up to their standards In accommodations. Aside from the access to the Atlantis, it’s just ok. I can bet MVC owners would run back to Aruba. Westin St. John is nice too but y’all have MVC ST Thomas which is just as nice and you don’t have to take a boat to get there.

I agree on the Westin front. We know most Westin owners love Hawaii since most of the Westin’s are on the west coast anyway. They would probably want more Hawaii options.

The beauty of owning SVV, EVERYWHERE pretty much appeals to me :)

But w/using hotel points to stay at the Cove, I thought all of the rooms were just hotel rooms with no kitchen/condo amenities. Even if it was a nicer 'room', I would take a step down to have the full kitchen/condo space (to not have to eat out all the time and be able to spread out).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
But w/using hotel points to stay at the Cove, I thought all of the rooms were just hotel rooms with no kitchen/condo amenities. Even if it was a nicer 'room', I would take a step down to have the full kitchen/condo space (to not have to eat out all the time and be able to spread out).
It’s more of a stumble down than a step. Don’t get me wrong. I love the Atlantis and the rooms are very nice. I’d see if you can book the reef with bonvoy. If you can I’d say go for that. Just not sure if you can book the reef through Marriott bonvoy. But there you can have it all. According to a few MVC owners here who have said it and believe it or not, MVC central sales “Marriott vacation club owners are Marriott snobs” (meant in a good way). I just don’t know how much you want to get on shuttles and be transported around a mega resort. Personally I love it. I get the room and building I want every time I go. It pays to know people lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
View attachment 13409

View attachment 13410

View attachment 13411

View attachment 13412
(the second picture and the fourth are actual views from the balcony)

I have met many Westin Hawaii owners that prefer to go to Westin Lagunamar on a regular basis rather than to their home resorts and the exchange is 1:1 in the platinum season. I also met Marriott owners that loved Lagunamar. Hard not to like it actually. You may not find it fair but those that have visited the resort do.

I think it is also an East vs West coast matter. People on the East cost may find it hard to get to Hawaii on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, visiting Europe is much easier with direct flights to many big cities. So for them, travelling to Westin St John's, Westin Lagunamar or Harborside Bahamas may be an excellent option.
Couldn’t agree more. Lagunamar is a great resort from what I hear. To say it’s not an even trade is false. I honestly don’t know what they would offer in the Caribbean that’s better (not counting Ritz Carlton). St Thomas/st John the same. Bahamas/Aruba the same.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Never meant to create an Apple vs. PC debate, but glad to see the comparison comments.