• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2019] MVC Owner Update for Sheraton Owner

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very valid points...if you assume an enrollment fee is almost pure gross profit, but a $25K points purchase includes inventory cost of 30% and marketing/sales cost of 50%, the gross profit on the $25K is only 20% ($5000). So in that scenario, if a $1000 fee scenario enticed more than 5 people to join for every one that would join by a buy-in, it could make economic sense for them to do the fee.

Will be interesting to see what develops.

The OP's pitch of a deed surrender to get a 15% discount versus just a straight offer of 15%-off is a new one for MVC (at least the first time I can recall that approach being reported). It will be interesting to see if we see more of that.
Let's do a poll among the Vistana owners to see how many would pay 1,000 vs 25,000. Of course they would have to know that they would not have the option to choose, just to see how many would find 25k reasonable. My sense is that it would be a very small minority so maybe 1 would enroll through a sales pitch vs 50 online. So I believe that the ratio is much higher thank 5 to 1

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Let's do a poll among the Vistana owners to see how many would pay 1,000 vs 25,000. Of course they would have to know that they would not have the option to choose, just to see how many would find 25k reasonable. My sense is that it would be a very small minority so maybe 1 would enroll through a sales pitch vs 50 online. So I believe that the ratio is much higher thank 5 to 1

Given the huge geographical overlap between MVC and VSE, my sense is MVC TUGgers would be similar, if not even less likely to pay up. Just remember we are not typical of the average owner. Nevertheless, the point is probably the same. A fee approach could indeed mean a relatively easy income boost for MVW. Another variable might be where the overall economy is when any new program is rolled out. If things are weaker than today, a fee approach might be even more likely.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Deleted.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the huge geographical overlap between MVC and VSE, my sense is MVC TUGgers would be similar, if not even less likely to pay up. Just remember we are not typical of the average owner. Nevertheless, the point is probably the same. A fee approach could indeed mean a relatively easy income boost for MVW. Another variable might be where the overall economy is when any new program is rolled out. If things are weaker than today, a fee approach might be even more likely.
now let's see if the MVC executives are as smart as the TUGgers

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

BLast email to every owner or done through the call center when people call in for reservations (still many who call in believe it or not) Im sure many will pay the fee for the one time. How many owners are in the vistana side?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
BLast email to every owner or done through the call center when people call in for reservations (still many who call in believe it or not) I guarantee maybe will add the fee on for the one time. How many owners are in the vistana side?
250,000 Vistana and Hyatt owners

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
BLast email to every owner or done through the call center when people call in for reservations (still many who call in believe it or not) Im sure many will pay the fee for the one time. How many owners are in the vistana side?
Step 1, by email
Step 2 mail if necessary
Step 3 call center (not necessary and not the most cost effective IMO).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
250,000 Vistana and Hyatt owners
That’s it? Why did i think there were more. Then the fee would have to be substantial. What’s a decent fee? 5,000? If 100,000 enrolled that’s still 500M in revenue just from enrollment. Then factor in all of the additional “buy more point” owner updates you now have access to in the future.

Geez, they may just charge everyone for this overlay and not just vistana/Hyatt owners and make even more money!

I’d possibly enroll at 5,000 if I wasn’t ending up with low points after a conversion, and only if I still keep what I have in the VSN. That includes the inventory pool I’m getting now.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s it? Why did i think there were more. Then the fee would have to be substantial. What’s a decent fee? 5,000? If 100,000 enrolled that’s still 500M in revenue just from enrollment.

I’d possibly enroll at 5,000 if I wasn’t ending up with low points after a conversion, and only if I still keep what I have in the VSN. That includes the inventory pool I’m getting now.
why do you think that a fee of $1000 for MVC doing virtually nothing and getting 100 million dollars with no costs is not enough? MVW has net earnings of about 200 million dollars so this would increase them by 50%

As far i am concerned I am not paying them 5,000. If they are greedy, so be it, I am happy with what I own and I do not need any enrollment. As for others, the gain for us would be just marginal in terms of locations. Also, you factor in the skim that we do not have in VSN and it is just too much, it is not worth it. We are already paying 5k a year in MF, all to Vistana.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I wonder the priority window in interval will be rolled out at some point for cross booking.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
why do you think that a fee of $1000 for MVC doing virtually nothing and getting 100 million dollars with no costs is not enough? MVW has net earnings of about 200 million dollars so this would increase them by 50%
I wasn’t referring to the fee, I was referring to the amount of customers (250K) I thought it may have been higher. I think 1,000 is enough! And probably more on point or maybe closer to 2500. Either way, you’re correct, it’s revenue for doing virtually nothing. I’d still pay 2,500 enrollment. Maybe make it tiered, if you have one ownership start at 1000, enroll 2 it’s 2000 enroll. 3+ it’s a max of 3,000. Either way, it could work out to 2-3 years of revenue just for enrollment. So I’m in agreement with you

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t referring to the fee, I was referring to the amount of customers (250K) I thought it may have been higher. I think 1,000 is enough! And probably more on point or maybe closer to 2500. Either way, you’re correct, it’s revenue for doing virtually nothing. I’d still pay 2,500 enrollment. Maybe make it tiered, if you have one ownership start at 1000, enroll 2 it’s 2000 enroll. 3+ it’s a max of 3,000. Either way, it could work out to 2-3 years of revenue just for enrollment. So I’m in agreement with you
let's not give them ideas. How about $50 for one $55 for 2 and $59.95 for 3+?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
let's not give them ideas. How about $50 for one $55 for 2 and $59.95 for 3+?
Ya know what, I don’t know what I was thinking. NO ONE would pay anything over 59.95 enrollment. I agree. I had a lapse in judgment at the moment. I agree start at 50 up to 59.95.

DO YOU SEE THAT MVC?! NO ONE WILL PAY MORE THAN $59.95!

Glad we cleared that up haha

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ya know what, I don’t know what I was thinking. NO ONE would pay anything over 59.95 enrollment. I agree. I had a lapse in judgment at the moment. I agree start at 50 up to 59.95.

DO YOU SEE THAT MVC?! NO ONE WILL PAY MORE THAN $59.95!

Glad we cleared that up haha

Considering they have a long history of knowing what people will pay, I doubt they consider what we think. I know you are kidding of course, just being being a counter balance. You guys may think owners won't pay much to enroll, and maybe Tug owners will not. But MVCI already knows what people will pay for what. It's not new for them. The averages will likely hold.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I thought you saw that secret documentation when you made the DC purchase?

You may want to reread what I said in the thread you refer to.

As I've stated numerous times, the documents we were given to review in our last MVC meeting had nothing to do with the SPG acquisition. We read about some upcoming benefit changes that would impact MVC owners (not SPG owners). I do find it interesting that the OP's presentation included detailed statements that were consistent with the general statements we heard regarding the SPG acquisition. It will be interesting to see how accurate it turns out to be when official announcements are made.

I'm also going to politely request that we move on from this recurring theme that a couple of SPG owners/posters continue trying to 'stir the pot' with and stop misrepresenting/misquoting statements from posters in the Marriott forum. It's counterproductive to why these forums exist, which is to exchange information (whether you happen to agree with the information presented or not). I'm only guessing here, but I suspect that SPG owners/posters wouldn't appreciate it if a Marriott owner were engaging in this type of activity on their forum.

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may want to reread what I said in the thread you refer to.

As I've stated numerous times, the documents we were given to review in our last MVC meeting had nothing to do with the SPG acquisition. We read about some upcoming benefit changes that would impact MVC owners (not SPG owners). I do find it interesting that the OP's presentation included detailed statements that were consistent with the general statements we heard regarding the SPG acquisition. It will be interesting to see how accurate it turns out to be when official announcements are made.

I deleted my posts above. I just found it is funny that the OP and you discussed about the documentation. I didn't mean to bring this topic up again.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am happy either way.

1) Having access to DC and points rentals would be nice at a low cost. However mass enrollment would negatively effect inventory in the VSN system.

2) Alternatively, if MVC asks people to pay tens of thousands for MVC access, then that will preserve the SVN inventory because few will sign up. I am okay with that too. Long live VSN SOs!

I believe MVC will opt for the latter scenario. In scenario #1, what would the sales people do?

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am happy either way.

1) Having access to DC and points rentals would be nice at a low cost. However mass enrollment would negatively effect inventory in the VSN system.

2) Alternatively, if MVC asks people to pay tens of thousands for MVC access, then that will preserve the SVN inventory because few will sign up. I am okay with that too. Long live VSN SOs!

I believe MVC will opt for the latter scenario. In scenario #1, what would the sales people do?
I really like your approach and I agree, we probably win both ways. I know that many Vistana owners root for #1 because they like what they own. Scenario #2 is probably the one preferred by the sales people. At the same time, their sales have been pretty good over the years without this so I am not sure why the company would put too much weight on it. To me this is just the lazy approach. A successful combined program would be a tremendous sales tool and we should not discount what impact this would have on their sales potential.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This afternoon, someone from Vistana just called and offered to retro all of my resale weeks. I don’t remember how many Flex he offered, but it was about $30k. He insisted that I need to retro all of my 4 Vistana weeks so I can participate the upcoming program with Marriott and Hyatt. Well I could see his lip moving over the phone. When I asked for details and documentation, he danced around and said “I guarantee you the access to Aruba and Key West” if you buy today. I was at work and had to make a conference call, so i hanged up and asked for call back tonight.

Here is the voicemail transcript he left on my phone before I called back.
“Hello _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ name is xxxxx I'm calling from _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ is a courtesy call from the operation center about your a resale ownership weeks that you have um we have a recently expanded our points opportunities through the mergers with Marriott and we are offering the new program to allow resell _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ to join our points network the call back number is 407-903-xxxx this offer is only valid during the month of August so if you have questions or interest get back with us right away thank you…”

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I am happy either way.

I’m with you. I would actually love some priority in interval for exchanging first, see how that rolls out. Although they may hinder cross sales. If I’m able to get into MVC resorts using interval why buy into the DC program? But that would still be a nice perk to have. I hope thy go with option 2 in your scenarios.

I don’t follow, Can you explain how it would negatively affect inventory in the VSN system in option 1?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@CPNY In a mass enrollment, many owners sign up for the DC overlay program so it would place more VSN inventory in the DC exchange pool when owners opt to trade with MVC which is separate from the VSN only SO inventory.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I deleted my posts above. I just found it is funny that the OP and you discussed about the documentation. I didn't mean to bring this topic up again.

No problem. I just want to try and keep things moving in a positive direction. I appreciate your inputs in support of that. :thumbup:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am happy either way.

I think that may have been what Jim and some others were musing about. Every coin has 2 sides and for MVC meeting their stockholders expectations may require coming up with a way to make it stand on end (to produce enough SPG participation to create MVC accessible inventory to promote sales while not making the cost of 'enrolling' that SPG inventory too low and fail to maximize profit in this area by mass enrolling SPG ownerhips and creating potential inventory competition on both sides of the field for both sets of owners - which was one of the MVC legacy weeks owners concerns when the Destination Points program was introduced in 2010).

It's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with, unless I figure it out first (which so far, I cannot make my quarter stand on its edge)...:eek:

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
@CPNY In a mass enrollment, many owners sign up for the DC overlay program so it would place more VSN inventory in the DC exchange pool when owners opt to trade with MVC which is separate from the VSN only SO inventory.

Except if those owners opt to play in the MVC world it will take both the VSN week and the VSN owner out of the VSN system. So, while there will be fewer weeks in VSN, there will also be fewer owners competing for those weeks. Same thing happened in the MVC system when they created the DC. Weeks that are elected for points come out of the legacy weeks system, but so does the owner competing for reservations. Unless participation was so massive that certain inventory became completely or almost unavailable in VSN, the VSN system should still function.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

From what I’ve learned here in the short amount of time I’ve been here is, if something like that happened, yes, inventory would leave the VSN pool but then there would also be one less owner booking inventory in the VSN pool. Wouldn’t it be a wash?
thank you for explaining it.

Still trying to understand trusts, and who controls the inventory etc.