• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Internet with VPN

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're on a cruise this week (and next) and have to do some work. I was not able to get my Cisco Anyconnect to actually connect and give me an authentication screen. I pulled out my travel router, connected it to the ship's wifi and then authenticated using my personal laptop. That has worked great for the computer work I need to do but was not sufficient for my video meetings. It has also worked for my firestick. BTW, the logging off, back on and device switching is dramatically better than our last cruise about 3 years ago. You just connect and if something else is signed in, it asks if you want to switch devices.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have recently had a lot of problems with the TP Link travel router. It has been a real pain to get it to connect to the network and authenticate. I fail to get the hotel login page to come up when connected through the travel router, thus I end up connected with no internet. I have tried the MAC cloning with no success. It worked the first few times we used it but the last four resorts we have reverted to connecting directly to the hotel network from the laptops. At least we were able to get the Cisco AnyConnect browser to open the hotel authentication page when connecting this time, but I am ready to toss the TP Link travel router. It takes more time to deal with it than it does to just call the WiFi support phone number when needed.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with my work laptop, just to join the network, because my work laptop uses Cisco AnyConnect to manage the WiFi. So, to join the network, it isn't a problem if it is a WPA2 secured network, because Cisco AnyConnect will ask for the passcode like any device would. But, seeing that MVC (most hotels) has it setup that you get an IP, but you can't do anything until you get the popup for room and name, AnyConnect never sees that. So, I could never actually join with actual internet access. I called the front desk and told them. They transferred me to the IT support. I explained and they asked me for my current IP address and duration of stay. I told them and they changed the config on their side for my IP to allow direct internet access. They also set my DHCP lease to expire on my checkout date. All worked fine after that.

I searched all over the place to try to find out how to fix the issue and didn't find anything, which I thought was odd.

I had similar situation at a new Courtyard in Indianapolis - trying to connect work laptop via VPN and Cisco. The Marriott desk utilized the same as far as IP address and duration of stay - 2 minutes later I had access.
He also suggested entering Marriottwifi.com as it should pop-up the correct page - might work for others!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have recently had a lot of problems with the TP Link travel router. It has been a real pain to get it to connect to the network and authenticate. I fail to get the hotel login page to come up when connected through the travel router, thus I end up connected with no internet. I have tried the MAC cloning with no success. It worked the first few times we used it but the last four resorts we have reverted to connecting directly to the hotel network from the laptops. At least we were able to get the Cisco AnyConnect browser to open the hotel authentication page when connecting this time, but I am ready to toss the TP Link travel router. It takes more time to deal with it than it does to just call the WiFi support phone number when needed.
I had problems at first as well but did the quick set up and it worked perfectly.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I had problems at first as well but did the quick set up and it worked perfectly.
I can't even seem to get Quick Setup to work. After connecting, I am expecting the hotel authentication page to show up if I try to navigate to the web. I get nothing. Very frustrating. I may try buying the router that @Steve Fatula recommended.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DH used VPN at Marriott Tahoe, Palm Dessert and Park City for work with no problem at all.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't even seem to get Quick Setup to work. After connecting, I am expecting the hotel authentication page to show up if I try to navigate to the web. I get nothing. Very frustrating. I may try buying the router that @Steve Fatula recommended.
you have to connect the router to the Wi-Fi then authenticate through another device such as a computer or phone.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
you have to connect the router to the Wi-Fi then authenticate through another device such as a computer or phone.
I connect to the router using my laptop, scan for available networks during quick setup and connect to it. Then I should get the hotel login page to authenticate the router's MAC address on the network. That last part is what I am not getting.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I connect to the router using my laptop, scan for available networks during quick setup and connect to it. Then I should get the hotel login page to authenticate the router's MAC address on the network. That last part is what I am not getting.
I just did the setup again, worked perfectly. I've had the most issues on a cruise in the past, not sure where things are going wrong for you. Things to check/try. Make sure your switch is on share hotspot. Make sure you're using a different laptop than your VPN locked down one or a phone or tablet. When logged into the router, check the status page to be sure it says connected to the choice you made during setup. Then open a new browser window and try to go somewhere generic, like google.com. If that doesn't work, try entering logon.com for the browser URL, try a different browser if you can.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a resort limit the number of connected devices, I use my cellphone (Google Pixel 4a) to share the wifi connection (hotspot).
Only cellphones that support multiple wifi connections can do it like Google Pixel 3 and up, some Samsung, LG, ...
Most cellphones can only share mobile data (3G/4G/5G) because they can only have one wifi connection.

Even if my cellphone VPN is activated, every connected devices on my cellphone hotspot don't use my cellphone VPN connection and so all connected devices must run their own local VPN if they want a VPN connection.