• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Fixed week

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
Appreciate the very helpful responses I have received in order to make the right decisions on becoming a Timeshare owner. So now looking to take it to the next step.

It seems the advice is to start with a fixed week. I am looking at the MVC Maui Ocean 2 BDRM, but in looking at listings they are mainly Floating. I am a little concerned with securing a floating first given the potential difficulties with securing a desired week. Am I wrong? What is the best way to locate and secure a MVC resale with a fixed week?

Appreciate any recommendations or opinions

Thanks, Gene

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Appreciate the very helpful responses I have received in order to make the right decisions on becoming a Timeshare owner. So now looking to take it to the next step.

It seems the advice is to start with a fixed week. I am looking at the MVC Maui Ocean 2 BDRM, but in looking at listings they are mainly Floating. I am a little concerned with securing a floating first given the potential difficulties with securing a desired week. Am I wrong? What is the best way to locate and secure a MVC resale with a fixed week?

Thanks, Gene
If it’s floating I believe you can book the week you want 12 months in advance. I may be wrong. But, if you have a specific week you know you want to go, buy that week. Have you thought about DC points? You’ll have more flexibility that way.

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
If it’s floating I believe you can book the week you want 12 months in advance. I may be wrong. But, if you have a specific week you know you want to go, buy that week. Have you thought about DC points? You’ll have more flexibility that way.
Understand the floating and points would give me more flexibility but understand that it can be a challenge to secure a wanted week at times with 12 month versus those with 13 month access

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand the floating and points would give me more flexibility but understand that it can be a challenge to secure a wanted week at times with 12 month versus those with 13 month access

It is usually easier with two weeks ownership so that you can book 13 months in advance, however that is not always financially feasible for owners to go this route, and must deal with owning one week (and only able to book 12 months in advance).

If you always want Xmas Holiday Weeks, and School Vacation Weeks then you likely want to own more than one week to make booking a bit easier for you.

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
It is usually easier with two weeks ownership so that you can book 13 months in advance, however that is not always financially feasible for owners to go this route, and must deal with owning one week (and only able to book 12 months in advance).

If you always want Xmas Holiday Weeks, and School Vacation Weeks then you likely want to own more than one week to make booking a bit easier for you.

TTT - do they have to be the same or can you do a 2BRDM for one and a 1 BDR for the other and still get the 13 months advantage? Would owning a week and a specific amount of DC points get you the 13 months? Need to get up to speed on the points advantages, Thanks!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I’m a big fixed week fan, because it works for us during whale season, but you will pay a bit of premium over a floating week for high demand winter and summer weeks.

When do you want to go?

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
I’m a big fixed week fan, because it works for us during whale season, but you will pay a bit of premium over a floating week for high demand winter and summer weeks.

When do you want to go?

I am thinking July or August, so we can spend time with the grandkids. I know that I will probably have to pay more for that time. Maybe its me, but I just have concerns that getting a week in the summer using a floating week resale might be a problem. Appreciate your thoughts.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The thread I linked to speaks to the question pretty well. You might search for posts by @GregT and @StevenTing as they both went through this before they ended up with their July fixed weeks.

The thing about fixed weeks is if you find one for sale that you want, you need to move on it. While floating weeks are pure commodities and you can lose a sale to ROFR and just try again, with fixed there are rarely do-overs, particularly when it comes to not only the week, but the floor and unit location.

For example, fixed weeks are only OF views and are found in both in Lahaina and Napili towers. (Christmas Weeks in old building are also Fixed Weeks). Do you want a ground floor, like to be up high or like me, loved the 7th floor 2BR corner. Over the palm trees, but still low enough to hear the ocean. And certain floors, like 7, have full length windows in the living room and no half wall on the balcony for great views while sitting down. Lots of nuances. I track winter weeks closely, but not summer, so not sure what prices have been. Lastly all 3BR OF are fixed, if not owned by MVCI. 2BR OF fixed are generally on Lahaina 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 12, with a few others I’ve seen over the last two years. Don’t remember Napili off hand, but top floor for sure.

Some would also suggest the 3BR Napili units don’t ha e quite as good a sight line as Lahaina.

Some good diagrams here:

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

@ "financially feasible" reference:
If this is what the OP ends up wanting, ie, owning TWO weeks so he/she can book at 13 mos to increase the odds of securing
that "prized week", then let the second week be a "cheap" week at another location whose season overlaps with
the desired Maui week,
then he/she can book 2 consecutive weeks at 13 mos. and have a better shot at getting the "prized" week annually, no problem.
THEN, at the appropriate time, deposit that second week with Interval and trade it for a second Maui week of his choice, or whatever---
but it's not that hard to get another Maui week by trade since the whole year is platinum. Specific holiday weeks would be hard, however,
but overall that strategy works, and hypothetically that second Maui week just might end up virtually costing
only the maintenance fee of that cheap week.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Gene
A fixed week will be more expensive but should lock in your options and your unit location as well for Maui. If you'll use it almost all the time and you're set on the highest demand weeks, that may be best. You'll just have to decide if it's worth that for you. IMO looking at more than one week in total that can be booked together so as to use the 13 month window may be better for some. If you're OK with July and August, you really shouldn't have a problem if you reserve at 12 months out, esp for the second half of August. I personally wouldn't spend the extra unless I had to have the highest demand weeks. Basically I'd decide where you want to end up with MVC and work backwards. If it's a single week and nothing else late June to mid July, a fixed week may indeed be worth it. However, if you plan to have more than 1 week there and/or a trading week or a week elsewhere, I personally wouldn't recommend the added cost.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
There are advantages and disadvantages to fixed weeks. The primary advantages are 1) not having to deal with reservations process and 2) knowing exactly the unit that you are going to stay in. The disadvantages are 1) if your travel date changes, you have no ability to adjust your ownership to your new travel date, and 2) if you decide to buy a second week, it is near impossible to find (and buy) the same unit -- there are only two other parties in the world that you could possibly purchase from.

I started with a fixed week 24 (4th floor) and wanted to buy week 25, ultimately buying the 6th floor. The 4th floor owner wasn't interested in selling to me so this purchase necessitated our changing rooms from 4th floor to 6th floor every year. I began looking for an owner with existing ownership of multiple weeks and I ultimately purchased Weeks 22-24 on 10th floor, which is how I ended up with the current ownership. All are 3BR units.

Steven Ting owns weeks 22 and 23 on the 6th floor, and we hope that one day the owner of Week 24 6th floor will sell to me (or him) so that we control the four consecutive weeks on the 6th floor.

So owning fixed weeks does bring some unexpected results. All that being said, I love love love my fixed weeks and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find your summer fixed week. I would also consider a 3BR because having the extra space is helpful and if you only need the 2BR, the Studio lockoff is a powerful trading deposit.

Best,

Greg

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
There are advantages and disadvantages to fixed weeks. The primary advantages are 1) not having to deal with reservations process and 2) knowing exactly the unit that you are going to stay in. The disadvantages are 1) if your travel date changes, you have no ability to adjust your ownership to your new travel date, and 2) if you decide to buy a second week, it is near impossible to find (and buy) the same unit -- there are only two other parties in the world that you could possibly purchase from.

I started with a fixed week 24 (4th floor) and wanted to buy week 25, ultimately buying the 6th floor. The 4th floor owner wasn't interested in selling to me so this purchase necessitated our changing rooms from 4th floor to 6th floor every year. I began looking for an owner with existing ownership of multiple weeks and I ultimately purchased Weeks 22-24 on 10th floor, which is how I ended up with the current ownership. All are 3BR units.

Steven Ting owns weeks 22 and 23 on the 6th floor, and we hope that one day the owner of Week 24 6th floor will sell to me (or him) so that we control the four consecutive weeks on the 6th floor.

So owning fixed weeks does bring some unexpected results. All that being said, I love love love my fixed weeks and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find your summer fixed week. I would also consider a 3BR because having the extra space is helpful and if you only need the 2BR, the Studio lockoff is a powerful trading deposit.

Best,

Greg
Steve, thanks so much, really helps. Did you just keep looking on-line when you purchased or would you recommend using a broker to help the process?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I relentlessly tracked a few key websites when looking for my weeks, but ultimately found a three week sequence that a broker had as a pocket listing.

I’d watch Redweek, SMTN.com, HawaiiTemeshareresalrs.com and others. I’d let brokers like Syed at AdvantageVacation.com and Stephanie at Concierge let you know what you’re looking for. Some fixed weeks never get listed.

I even contacted folks renting the weeks I wanted to let me know if they ever wanted to sell. Facebook Marriot Maui page is also good.

I also help Steven Ting as admin for the FB Marriott Maui Fixed Week owners page, so once you narrow down your target range, it’s easier to search.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Gene, did you narrow down summer weeks that would be acceptable to you?

One other thought, if you decide on float you might also consider OV. Some good values there. If you love Maui I could make a case for buying a OV floater and Fixed week OF. That lets you book 13 months out for the week before or after your fixed week. It also gives you the opportunity to have two units the same week if lots of family visiting. If not used, can rent out easily.

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
Gene, did you narrow down summer weeks that would be acceptable to you?

One other thought, if you decide on float you might also consider OV. Some good values there. If you love Maui I could make a case for buying a OV floater and Fixed week OF. That lets you book 13 months out for the week before or after your fixed week. It also gives you the opportunity to have two units the same week if lots of family visiting. If not used, can rent out easily.
I am pretty fixable on the summer weeks. Plan is to use it to spend time with the adult children and their kids each year. That said, it gives me a window of July 1st thru end of August.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty fixable on the summer weeks. Plan is to use it to spend time with the adult children and their kids each year. That said, it gives me a window of July 1st thru end of August.
You really don't need a fixed week if you're OK with late July or Aug because those are much easier to get than winter or early summer. And with a floating week you have the flexibility to get the prime week as well. A fixed week is ideal for those that need week 7 or 14 or any specific week no matter what, or really want to have the exact unit but it really does come at a premium and you probably could get two 2BDRM OV floats for the price of one 2BDRM fixed week.

SoCal Gene

Reaction score
You really don't need a fixed week if you're OK with late July or Aug because those are much easier to get than winter or early summer. And with a floating week you have the flexibility to get the prime week as well. A fixed week is ideal for those that need week 7 or 14 or any specific week no matter what, or really want to have the exact unit but it really does come at a premium and you probably could get two 2BDRM OV floats for the price of one 2BDRM fixed week.
Which would give me the 13 booking option and 2 weeks or a rental. Would have two MF’s. Do you have any MVC level, when you own weeks versus the club? Thanks!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which would give me the 13 booking option and 2 weeks or a rental. Would have two MF’s. Do you have any MVC level, when you own weeks versus the club? Thanks!
The only way to get status is to buy a certain amount of points direct I believe. I don't think you can get it by buying resale points and you definitely can't by owning resale weeks.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The only way to get status is to buy a certain amount of points direct I believe. I don't think you can get it by buying resale points and you definitely can't by owning resale weeks.

Resale points count toward status tiers, but weeks do not.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Steve, thanks so much, really helps. Did you just keep looking on-line when you purchased or would you recommend using a broker to help the process?
It’s challenging. I did not use a broker - and although I like certain brokers (like Syed and JudyKoz) I have had the best luck searching on my own.

I would look at redweek.com listings (both for sale and for rent) and ask those who were renting what unit they owned. If it was a unit of interest to me, I would ask them to keep me in mind if they ever decided to sell. They would often ask me if I wanted to buy their week and what I would pay - I would let ROFR.NET do the dirty work for me (thanks Jeremy!) to reset their pricing expectations. Often they thought they would sell it for $100K when then it was worth $40K-$50K at best.

Long time TUGgers will remember John Chase, and although we didn’t always agree, he was confident in his view that No Timeshare was worth more than $5K, and it was only a matter of time before MF inflation killed the resale value. He may be right - and we should always proceed carefully when buying these things - they are easier to buy then sell.

But there is a lot of wisdom on TUG, and perhaps the best advice I have ever gotten here came from @jme on the value of money - and I suspect his advice would lead you to buy the timeshare for $50K even if it’s only worth $5K in 20 years. My 3BRs may be worthless some day and yet I would buy them all again. I will try to link it when I am online. I hope you find the week you are looking for!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

I've found the quote (circa 2014) from the past that made such an impression on me. It's below....the original topic was on timeshares as an "investment" and maximizing the buck......

-----------------

from @jme

"time value of money".........an interesting concept.

and it's brought up a lot when analyzing and weighing timeshare purchases, as it should be.

and yes, I get it...the argument isn't lost on me.

but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't throw into the discussion a variation of the term "time value of money", and that would be
the "value of what money can do with your time".

And the best example I can possibly think of would necessarily include a couple of fantastic vacation options which would always be present for any family, year after year, so that there is something concrete that brings you all together at one time and in one mind on a consistent basis. Something everyone can hang onto through all the family members' age changes.

Our "fantastic options" were owning a few weeks at Grande Ocean, and as things have panned out, it's been priceless. Our kids have grown up there, and the memories would have been nonexistent had it not been for that.

To the OP: Do whatever you can to gain that time with your family, and don't neglect it. And don't discount it altogether by always opting instead for traditional investments alone, at the EXPENSE of precious family time.

If renting does it for you, rent.....Or if buying a great resale opportunity, go for it. Then go invest separately.

Both are necessary. They are different kinds of investments. I'm frankly tired of the argument that always states you should not buy a timeshare because you can invest that money so much better from a financial standpoint. Well sometimes, how about just forgetting the meager $9K and just placing it on the table for your family to enjoy now. Someday you'll get that full sum back, "with interest".

Family vacations contribute to shaping our children into the kinds of people we wish them to be. The children may have a serious and private discussion with you while on vacation, something that may never happen otherwise, and they will remember it forever, and take action on your advice in remarkable ways. So allow a little wiggle room in your "investments" to include that. Time flies, and you can't regain it. I would never even consider doing anything different than what we did.

---------------

Now back to me -- GregT ---- I want to emphasize a key point from above -- because I've experienced it and it was amazing.....

The children may have a serious and private discussion with you while on vacation, something that may never happen otherwise, and they will remember it forever, and take action on your advice in remarkable ways.

A skeptic may say that the same could happen from a VRBO home -- maybe that's true? but it has happened at Maui Ocean Club and for that I am very very grateful....

Best,

Greg

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now back to me -- GregT ---- I want to emphasize a key point from above -- because I've experienced it and it was amazing.....

The children may have a serious and private discussion with you while on vacation, something that may never happen otherwise, and they will remember it forever, and take action on your advice in remarkable ways.

A skeptic may say that the same could happen from a VRBO home -- maybe that's true? but it has happened at Maui Ocean Club and for that I am very very grateful....
I second GregT's thoughts and add one of my own - the advantage of feeling like you are going 'home'. We bought EOY weeks at Hilton Hawaiian Village and Waiohai when our kids were young and have been going every other year ever since. On almost all of those trips we were accompanied by their grandparents. The mix of the familiar and the new in a relaxed setting has allowed for conversations such as GregT described as well as an opportunity for our children to connect with our parents in ways which otherwise would not have happened. Worth every penny.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking July or August, so we can spend time with the grandkids...Maybe its me, but I just have concerns that getting a week in the summer using a floating week resale might be a problem.
My impression (and I could be wrong) is that OF in the old MOC towers is easier to secure than in the sequel - Napili and Lahaini - towers. They are also cheaper to buy. So if you don't mind the lack of a washer/dryer and oven in the room that may be the way to go.

The other datapoint I can offer is that I was unable to secure an OF sequel week at 13months + 2 weeks at 9:00AM for July 21st, 2018. That is to say my request for 2 weeks in Waiohai followed by a week at MOC was blocked by lack of availability at MOC. I was able to secure it for July 28th, 2018...but that may be because I convinced the CSR to book MOC first and then work backward. Obviously, YMMV (and will if you try at 12 months and not 13 - different 'buckets').

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My impression (and I could be wrong) is that OF in the old MOC towers is easier to secure than in the sequel - Napili and Lahaini - towers. They are also cheaper to buy. So if you don't mind the lack of a washer/dryer and oven in the room that may be the way to go.

The other datapoint I can offer is that I was unable to secure an OF sequel week at 13months + 2 weeks at 9:00AM for July 21st, 2018. That is to say my request for 2 weeks in Waiohai followed by a week at MOC was blocked by lack of availability at MOC. I was able to secure it for July 28th, 2018...but that may be because I convinced the CSR to book MOC first and then work backward. Obviously, YMMV (and will if you try at 12 months and not 13 - different 'buckets').
We own every MOC float OV/OF view category new and old. I would say new OF, old OF, new OV, old OV in that order are the toughest to secure. What I can also offer is I'm pretty sure Marriott doesn't release the inventory they say they are going to release at the official time the units/weeks should become available. I personally feel if you are computer savvy and have the ability to keep checking the inventory over 48 hours when a date that you need becomes available you can almost always get the date you want but I do understand not everyone uses the computer and can keep checking that frequently.