• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC cost per night over the long term?

GoodTimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are trying to budget for our long-term vacation needs. With 2 young children 4/8 - and living in Virginia - MVC looks like a good option.

Does anyone have a good estimate of what to expect in today's dollars - buying resale and MFs? Would $250 - $350 per night be a reasonable estimate for a 2br? We may rent it out occasionally but don't want MVC ownership to become a side business. Thanks!

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Maintenance fees will be less than $250-$350/night (except in Hawaii). The question will be the capital (buy-in) cost -- and how you amortize it for cost purposes.

A resale week almost anywhere will keep the overall cost within your proposed budget; a points purchase, even on the secondary market, probably will not. If you were to pay $30K for points (which I do not recommend), it will be impossible to spread out this cost and stay within your parameters.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are trying to budget for our long-term vacation needs. With 2 young children 4/8 - and living in Virginia - MVC looks like a good option.

Does anyone have a good estimate of what to expect in today's dollars - buying resale and MFs? Would $250 - $350 per night be a reasonable estimate for a 2br? We may rent it out occasionally but don't want MVC ownership to become a side business. Thanks!
Yearly most weeks options should get you near the $250 per week even with ancillary costs. Points will be more at the higher end of your estimate. There are cheaper ways to travel but I think a well planned MVC purchase can be a great value for the right family. My view of the situation where timeshare ownership can make sense is if one can plan a year or more in advance, pay cash, is OK without the hotel extras like daily housekeeping, and values space including a kitchen. Specific to MVC you have to want to go to the locations that are included as part of the timeshare system. If MVC still makes sense then you have to decide the volume you need, how and where you want to travel. Do you need points or is a week with or without exchanging best for that person. Just spend a few months getting thoroughly educated and the answers will become fairly clear. Read including the stickies above and ask questions. The more information you give us, the better recommendations we can make.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is someplace you want to stay year after year then buying a MVC resale week at that location would be an inexpensive way to go. For example, the MFs for a week at Royal Palms (our favorite Orlando MVC resort) are $1487/yr (or $212/day). You can find MVC MFs in a sticky thread in this forum, on https://vacationpointexchange.com/ under 'Historical MFs', and even on Redweek (if you are careful).

Depending on location you might do better to buy a 3BR. While your kids are still young sharing a bedroom isn't a big deal but our experience has been that kids on vacation become a grandparent magnet. And now that they have almost left the nest we've done a couple of vacations with each bringing a guest. At the Imperial Palms (Royal Palm's sister 3BR resort) MFs are $1707 (or $243/day). Also, on those years you want to rent the unit a 3BR is more likely to hold value - 2BR timeshares are comparatively very common.

Left unsaid is the issue of trading your MVC week via Interval International. We have found II to be completely worthless when constrained by both school calendar and location but others swear by it.

As others have said above, buying points...even on the resale market...will be more expensive. They do provide much greater flexibility...but that doesn't seem to be your primary consideration.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
My own cost-per-night is lower (I own 4 Marriotts). That is because they are lock-offs and I split them and exchange them. I have been successful in exchanging them for 1 and 2 BR units and pay the $59 upcharge to get a BR size upgrade. Also, I try to make use of buying Getaways and using Accommodation certificates. Getaways and A/Cs are a way to stretch your budget.

I am retired though so that makes it easy for me to travel on shoulder seasons. Also, I enjoy enjoy "drive-to" vacations and I'm located in an area where I am a day's drive (or less) from about a half dozen timeshare areas.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

Depends are where you want to go and when you want to go.
Folks who have lots of success are ones who have lots of success are ones who can travel at off times.
Remember you are going to be competing with everyone else if you can only travel during school breaks.

Also, as you figure out costs don't forget to include initial cost and also lost opportunity costs.

For instance, if you initial cost was $30,000 during the recent gift card promotion you could have bought $37,000 worth of gift cards for that amount.
Even without that At $300/night that's 100 nights worth of stays or 14 years.
Now if you can work the lock-off., getaway, trade up, cheap airfare angle timeshares can work but it take flexibility.

For me it was not about savings but knowing I could go where I wanted (where I bought) for the next 30+ years. The fact that I have been able to do much more is just a bonus.

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Interval International 'Getaways', will be another option at or below your budget, if you can be flexible in considering non-Marriott Vacation Clubs. Some are considerably less than your budget. You are not limited to just 1 per year either.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB

Marriott: We own Every-Year 2BR Lock-Off Units at Marriott Ko'Olina + Marriott Shadow Ridge + DCP-Points.
Vistana: We also own multiple 2BR Lock-Off Units at Westin Lagunamar [EOY] + Westin Kierland [Every-Year] + Aventuras-Points.

We find doing the following is the best way to lower our Cost/Night.
  1. Lock-Off 2BR into Studio + 1BR
  2. Deposit 2-Weeks [Studio + 1BR] with Interval
  3. Exchange into 2BR-Units with Interval by paying a Size-Upgrade + E-Plus-Fee
Have done this for 12+ years and have always had success exchanging into 2BR/3BR/4BR units via Interval.

Following is a snippet from my XLS that I use to track costs. It is accurate down to the last cent. Includes the following:
  • Maintenance-Fees
  • Club-Dues [Marriott/VIstana]
  • Lock-Off Fees [Zero]
  • Interval Membership-Fees [Marriott/Vistana: Zero]
  • Interval Platinum-Fees [Marriott: 50%-Off]
  • Exchange-Fees [Marriott: M-M-Zero]
  • Size-Upgrade Fees
  • E-Plus [Marriott: Zero]
1600213520563.png

Notes

• 7-Nights: Internal-Exchanges within MVCI Ko'Olina [$363/Night] is much more expensive than Shadow-Ridge [$237/Night] as Hawaii-MF are higher.
  • 14-Nights: Exchanging Marriott-Units [MKO: $197/Night] [MRD: $134/Night] via Interval is good value [Lower Cost/Night] after including all Interval-Fees
    • 2 x Weeks For 1
    • No Exchange Fees: M-M
    • Unlimited Changes: M-M [No need for E-Plus]
    • Size-Upgrade-Fees: $177 [$59 x 3] [Studio -> 2BR + 1BR -> 2BR]
  • Vistana-Units have much lower MF but exchanging via Interval is expensive due to higher Interval-fees.
  • DCP-Points have a higher Per-Night cost.
  • The above does not include amortizing upfront purchase cost.
Summary: We exchange all of our weeks [Marriott + Vistana] via Interval which averages ~$165/Night in a 2BR/3BR-Unit [Mostly Marriott/Westin/Hyatt].
Some locations we have visited include Maui, Kauai, Oahu, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Kitts, Aruba, Nassau, Cayman, Puerto Rico, Orlando, Vegas, Tahoe, Avon, Vail, Aspen, Colorado-Springs, Palm-Springs, Miami, Key-West, Canada [Whistler, Radium, Fairmont, Banff] Paris, Malaga, Bangkok, Phuket, Brisbane, Mexico [Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa].

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yearly most weeks options should get you near the $250 per week even with ancillary costs. Points will be more at the higher end of your estimate. There are cheaper ways to travel but I think a well planned MVC purchase can be a great value for the right family. My view of the situation where timeshare ownership can make sense is if one can plan a year or more in advance, pay cash, is OK without the hotel extras like daily housekeeping, and values space including a kitchen. Specific to MVC you have to want to go to the locations that are included as part of the timeshare system. If MVC still makes sense then you have to decide the volume you need, how and where you want to travel. Do you need points or is a week with or without exchanging best for that person. Just spend a few months getting thoroughly educated and the answers will become fairly clear. Read including the stickies above and ask questions. The more information you give us, the better recommendations we can make.
Also love the in room washer and dryer for most 1br and larger room sizes. Really helps in packing just a carry on if flying. Also when going to a TS after a cruise it is great to be able to wash your clothes.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Marriott: We own 1 x Every-Year 2BR-Unis at Marriott Ko'Olina + Marriott Shadow Ridge + DCP-Points.
Vistana: We also own multiple 2BR Lock-Off Units at Westin Lagunamar [EOY] + Westin Kierland [Every-Year] + Aventuras-Points.

We find doing the following is the best way to lower our Cost/Night.
  1. Lock-Off 2BR into Studio + 1BR
  2. Deposit 2-Week [Studio + 1BR] with Interval
  3. Exchange into 2BR-Units with Interval by paying a Size-Upgrade + E-Plus-Fee
Have done this for 12+ years and have always had success exchanging into 2BR/3BR/4BR units via Interval.

Following is a snippet from my XLS that I use to manage costs. It is accurate down to the last cent. Includes the following:
  • Maintenance-Fees
  • Club-Dues [Marriott/VIstana]
  • Lock-Off Fees [Zero]
  • Interval Membership-Fees [Marriott/Vistana: Zero]
  • Interval Platinum-Fees [Marriott: 50%-Off]
  • Exchange-Fees [Marriott: Zero]
  • Size-Upgrade Fees
  • E-Plus [Marriott: Zero]
View attachment 26583

Notes

• 7-Nights: Internal-Exchanges within MVCI Ko'Olina [$363/Night] is much more expensive than Shadow-Ridge [$237/Night] as Hawaii-MF are higher.
  • 14-Nights: Exchanging Marriott-Units [MKO: $197/Night] [MRD: $134/Night] via Interval is good value [Lower Cost/Night] after including all Interval-Fees
    • No Exchange Fees: M-M
    • Unlimited Changes: M-M [No need for E-Plus]
    • Size-Upgrade-Fees: $177 [$59 x 3] [Studio -> 2BR + 1BR -> 2BR]
    • 2 x Weeks For 1
  • Vistana-Units have much lower MF but exchanging via Interval is expensive due to higher Interval-fees.
  • DCP-Points have a higher Per-Night cost.
  • The above does not include amortizing upfront purchase cost.
Hi, Can you add resale weeks (voluntary) in your IL membership in corporate Vistana account? It mentioned in your post Interval membership fees (Marriott/Vistana Zero). Like I have WKV , can I add resale SDO and don’t have to pay another IL membership for IL exchange? Thanks!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hi, Can you add resale weeks (voluntary) in your IL membership in corporate Vistana account? It mentioned in your post Interval membership fees (Marriott/Vistana Zero). Like I have WKV , can I add resale SDO and don’t have to pay another IL membership for IL exchange? Thanks!

Off topic, but the short answer is "no".

Many of us have multiple Interval accounts as a result (and aren't happy about having to pay twice or thrice for them).

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My own cost-per-night is lower (I own 4 Marriotts). That is because they are lock-offs and I split them and exchange them. I have been successful in exchanging them for 1 and 2 BR units and pay the $59 upcharge to get a BR size upgrade. Also, I try to make use of buying Getaways and using Accommodation certificates. Getaways and A/Cs are a way to stretch your budget.

I am retired though so that makes it easy for me to travel on shoulder seasons. Also, I enjoy enjoy "drive-to" vacations and I'm located in an area where I am a day's drive (or less) from about a half dozen timeshare areas.
Our experience has been the same. We almost always lock off and retrade to 2 bedroom units. We generally travel spring break, ski season, summer and a week here and there off season, to Tahoe, Park City, Hawaii, Palm Desert and Newport. Our average nightly cost, including upfront resale cost (over 15 years) is under $175/night. Cost has actually stayed the same over time since we enrolled.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@davidvel, we travel to many of the same places. But, we haven't been to Park City yet. I'll have to put that location on my list. Besides the places you mentioned, we also travel annually to Sedona and Phoenix and occasionally to Tucson and Carmel. So, we both have a nice location for drive-to vacations.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO cost per night isn't that important. Total cost up front and yearly is important from a budgeting process and to judge affordability. Cost per night should be compared to what you would pay otherwise which will vary quite a bit from say Orlando to Aruba to HI.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Dean.

Also, you need to identify a strategy for how you are going to play the Marriott game. If you are buying a resale, you should buy a lock off so that you can split it and trade both halves into II and get 2 2BRs back. Of course you now pay membership and fees to II, but overall, you pay a little more to get a lot more for your money. To get a good/decent trader, you won't need to spend more than $1000. Expect MFs to be around $1500. With II fees, you are looking at around $2100 per year or $150 per night for 14 nights. If you just buy a 2BR to stay there every year, it will be around $215 per night.

GoodTimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Dean.

Also, you need to identify a strategy for how you are going to play the Marriott game. If you are buying a resale, you should buy a lock off so that you can split it and trade both halves into II and get 2 2BRs back. Of course you now pay membership and fees to II, but overall, you pay a little more to get a lot more for your money. To get a good/decent trader, you won't need to spend more than $1000. Expect MFs to be around $1500. With II fees, you are looking at around $2100 per year or $150 per night for 14 nights. If you just buy a 2BR to stay there every year, it will be around $215 per night.

First of all thanks everyone for helping me understand planning my MVC investment.

The closest lock off to where we live would be Manor Club Sequel at Ford's Colony - does this trade well?

Also how can I find out more details about Accommodation Certificates and Getaways? I have searched the forums and read the faqs - but I am still unclear about how easy it would be to pickup extra weeks in the Marriott System - if we are flexible on dates. For example - during the low season is it easy to book places like hawaii or aruba for multiple weeks? Do places like the Grande Ocean, OceanWatch, Barnoy Beach show up frequently?

Basically in the off season can retired owners hop MVC to MVC on Accommodation Certificates and Getaways? Are they that plentiful? Or would we have to buy additional weeks to stay frequently?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all thanks everyone for helping me understand planning my MVC investment.

The closest lock off to where we live would be Manor Club Sequel at Ford's Colony - does this trade well?

Also how can I find out more details about Accommodation Certificates and Getaways? I have searched the forums and read the faqs - but I am still unclear about how easy it would be to pickup extra weeks in the Marriott System - if we are flexible on dates. For example - during the low season is it easy to book places like hawaii or aruba for multiple weeks? Do places like the Grande Ocean, OceanWatch, Barnoy Beach show up frequently?

Basically in the off season can retired owners hop MVC to MVC on Accommodation Certificates and Getaways? Are they that plentiful? Or would we have to buy additional weeks to stay frequently?

If you are buying a week to lock off and deposit into II to exchange for 2 weeks it doesn’t matter how close the resort is to your home since you will be exchanging. I have never stayed at my home resort by direct booking- I deposit into II and exchange back if I want to, usually upsizing my unit. If you are buying a unit to stay in your ownership then you want to buy someplace you love.

Many (most?) AC’s are given for really no reason- II calls them valued customer AC’s. If you are not super picky you could certainly use them for off season trips. Redemption fee is usually around $300. I have 3 ACs sitting in my account right now- 2 expire in December and one in March. Of the places you mentioned only Oceanwatch is available in December and January- none of the others show for Dec- Mar.

Getaways vary in price and availability. Right now there is a availability in Hawaii and Aruba for the winter but not Marriotts and prices are generally $1000 a week. HHI Has Marriotts available in January for around $400-$500 per week.

I‘m not sure what you mean by “picking up extra weeks in the Marriott system”- do you mean by with AC’s and getaways?
I have friends who spent the month of January in orlando this year on a combo of getaway, AC and 2 6-day short stays.

If you go to interval world.com you can look around some, including reading the faq and buyers guide (legal) at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps- we bought our week when our kids were in elementary school and have had many great vacations- the youngest is about to graduate college and they still like time sharing with us.

Last edited:

GoodTimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are buying a week to lock off and deposit into II to exchange for 2 weeks it doesn’t matter how close the resort is to your home since you will be exchanging. I have never stayed at my home resort by direct booking- I deposit into II and exchange back, usually upsizing my unit. If you are buying a unit to stay in your ownership they you want to buy someplace you love.

Many (most?) AC’s are given for really no reason- II calls them valued customer AC’s. If you are not super picky you could certainly use them for off season trips. Redemption fee is usually around $300. I have 3 ACs sitting in my account right now- 2 expire 1 December and one in March. Of the places you mentioned only Oceanwatch is available in December and January- nome of the others show for Dec- Mar.

Getaways vary in price and availability.

I‘m not sure what you mean by “picking up extra weeks in the Marriott system”- do you mean by with AC’s and getaways?
I have friends who spent the month of January in orlando this year on a combo of getaway, AC and 2 6-day short stays.

If you go to interval world.com you can look around some, including reading the faq and buyers guide (legal) at the bottom of the page. If you are looking for something in particular I am happy to see what is available for you.

Thanks for the insight - this gives me a good idea. Basically I am trying to see how difficult it is to turn 1 week or 2 with a lock off into many weeks throughout the year with AC's and getaways.

I will look at lock offs further away.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight - this gives me a good idea. Basically I am trying to see how difficult it is to turn 1 week or 2 with a lock off into many weeks throughout the year with AC's and getaways.

What I do is reserve the highest trading power lock off week in my ownership season, deposit it into II and place a request for the trip I want as far in advance as possible (since we travelled on school vacations this was easy since I knew when vacation was). I have certainly been reasonable about what I requested- not expecting my Orlando studio unit to get me a 2 br in Maui- but I have always had my request come through with an option I was happy with. Your deposit expires 2 years from your original reservation date so you have plenty of time to use the weeks. You can purchase a guest certificate for friends or family to use your week, but once deposited into II you can’t rent it out. You can also exchange to non Marriott resorts through II, but the exchange fee is higher.

Timeshare ownership was great for us to travel as a family- it forced us to take a trip or 2 every year and being able to cook meals, do laundry, and spread out was key. We don’t have enough vacation time to need getaways or ACs and also find that some trips just really aren’t suited to timeshare so the week worked well for years. We enrolled our week a few years ago and the points option gives us some added flexibility now that the kids are grown.

Last edited:

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB

I have never managed to use AC's [too restrictive with very little choice for the places and resorts we would like to stay at].
In 12+ years we may have 1-2 Getaways. However, this is primarily because we own more than we can use.
Getaways have better options than AC's but can be more expensive [e.g. Marriott-Studio in Hawaii is usually over $1000] if available.

CAUTION: The current availability is not a good indication of future availability due to COVID.
E.g. currently people are exchanging AC's for 2BR/3BR-units at Westin/Marriott in Maui, Kauai, Oahu. This is not normally the case.
E.g. right now there is availability at Atlantis, Bahamas for the next 3 months straight. In the last 5-Years I saw 2-Studios show up for Exchange using a Westin.
E.g. last month I saw multiple units available at Westin St. John, USVI. In 12+ years I saw ZERO units at this resort.

In order of probability here is what you can expect for a successful exchange into a Marriott/Westin/Hyatt
  1. Exchanges
  2. Getaways
  3. AC's

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I own vistana only in interval. Ive never exchanged, I use getaways and AC’s. I use them for whatever I can get. Although Have only ever stayed in Marriott properties in Orlando with them until COVID.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Unless you'll use it part of the time, the location doesn't matter. Manor Club for the best weeks should trade roughly as well as the other "trading Marriott's". I don't own there but I do think there are better choices as a trading option since you have the ability to plan up front. I too have never been able to use an AC and haven't seen much for getaways. Some make good use of them for very short notice travel esp to higher volume places like Orlando. One thing to consider is that when people say off season they often mean different things. For example, some may use the term off season for Hilton Head to refer to anything but summer but the reality is that there's not a single one of my AC's that I can use for HHI and that the only truly low season for HHI is Dec to Jan minus the 2 weeks of the holidays. You can trade in other times with planning but the weeks are not going to normally just be sitting there.

I wouldn't buy with those as a critical part of my plan, esp for higher demand areas. If you move forward consider a plan that works without the getaways and AC usage and one that works including them. Then the part that is the same you could go ahead and proceed with and see how they work for you and if they don't work out, then you could add the additional components. Also remember a lot of the Getaways aren't that cheap and even with an AC, there's still a decent cost that's higher than the exchange cost (ignoring underlying maintenance fees).

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, I own Grande Vista and Manor Club Sequel, both platinum. Grande Vista is a better trader. The studio regularly pulls 2BRs in shoulder and high season.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, I own Grande Vista and Manor Club Sequel, both platinum. Grande Vista is a better trader. The studio regularly pulls 2BRs in shoulder and high season.
Matt, I've formulated an opinion that MC, LV & WR all trade roughly the same if you have the best week and that Orlando, Gold Desert top weeks trade modestly better. However, for most things and internal trading I doubt it makes much difference. I have multiple things to compare to mostly WR, Orlando, Legend's Edge and high end like HI & HHI and I always get the top weeks both for exchanging and usually for usage. My information and experience supports my opinions and is c/w yours as well. But many don't share the same opinion and feel it doesn't make any difference and for many options done otherwise appropriately it probably doesn't truly make a difference. In other words you may get the same exchange with any of them though it might be later with some than others.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add, but wasn't clear.......Manor Club trades like a champ. It's just that GV is better comparing studios. I never have any problem reserving the best weeks with MVC. People consider Williamsburg and Orlando to be overbuilt, and therefore poor traders. Simply not the case.