• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC cost per night over the long term?

GoodTimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Matt, I've formulated an opinion that MC, LV & WR all trade roughly the same if you have the best week and that Orlando, Gold Desert top weeks trade modestly better. However, for most things and internal trading I doubt it makes much difference. I have multiple things to compare to mostly WR, Orlando, Legend's Edge and high end like HI & HHI and I always get the top weeks both for exchanging and usually for usage. My information and experience supports my opinions and is c/w yours as well. But many don't share the same opinion and feel it doesn't make any difference and for many options done otherwise appropriately it probably doesn't truly make a difference. In other words you may get the same exchange with any of them though it might be later with some than others.

You guys really know the system - based on all of this what would be the best lock off trader with a reasonable resale cost? A resale in the 0-10k or 10-20k ranges? Or maybe that should be kept a secret.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys really know the system - based on all of this what would be the best lock off trader with a reasonable resale cost? Maybe with a resale in the 0-10k or 10-20k?
My opinion is "it depends". Probably the best of the usual traders is Grande Vista (esp in FL club) with Harbour Lake and Gold Desert second. The best if one plans to enroll or look at a 3 BR is likely Grande Chateau and it's the second cheapest yearly. The cheapest is going to be Willow Ridge likely both up front and yearly. The reality is that all should do what one needs in a trader if they get a top week then deposit and request ASAP so taking the cheapest one that comes along might be the best answer. None will consistently get top options during high demand times like HHI 4th of July but GV will likely give a leg up for that type of option. I would not buy a trader at anywhere near $10K though one might buy something to use part of the time and trade part of the time in that range, say Ocean Pointe. No one size fits all though.

aamarquez8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (ccv), MGC, MGV
We recently purchased a 3bed Marriott Grand Chateau so we could hopefully get a staycation in Hawaii out of it; if not, we can vacay in the West Coast. Our MGC lock-offs into a 1br + 2br.

Per my calculation, the current cost per night per room tallied between $102 up to $130 So, a 2 bedroom would minimally be $236. Buy in for 25yrs, MF, LO & II fees were considered. Hope this helps with your decision.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should first look for platinum weeks at the places that were mentioned and buy one for no money if you can. I just looked at Redweek for grins and you can find a 2BR Grande Vista for under $2500. Manor Club lock off for $2000. Willow Ridge $1500. Those are the posted prices. If you do buy make sure the fees are paid up and the use year isn't way far out.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I know this doesn't answer your original question, but my philosophy is to, at firs,t buy where you would be happy going every year. It is also better to select a place which is in driving distance, to avoid the cost of airfare if possible. I know its easy to get caught up in the trading /lockoff game and try to maximize your vacation nights and upgrading villa sizes and many people are very successful at this. However,in your situation, living in the east with 2 young school children I would seriously consider buying a resale South Carolina timeshare in the platinum season. If during some years, you want a change they trade, very well, but they are not lockoffs, so you would only get one week for yours. They also rent out very well, some at 2x maintenance fees, should you be inclined to do so. Before you decide, I would run these numbers and see how they stack up. you might be suprised, esp when considering airfare, car rentals, etc. Good luck with your decision.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I know this doesn't answer your original question, but my philosophy is to, at firs,t buy where you would be happy going every year. It is also better to select a place which is in driving distance, to avoid the cost of airfare if possible. I know its easy to get caught up in the trading /lockoff game and try to maximize your vacation nights and upgrading villa sizes and many people are very successful at this. However,in your situation, living in the east with 2 young school children I would seriously consider buying a resale South Carolina timeshare in the platinum season. If during some years, you want a change they trade, very well, but they are not lockoffs, so you would only get one week for yours. They also rent out very well, some at 2x maintenance fees, should you be inclined to do so. Before you decide, I would run these numbers and see how they stack up. you might be suprised, esp when considering airfare, car rentals, etc. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with the spirit of this post, although I don’t have the Marriott expertise to get into the nitty gritty of what’s best to own.

But I am most comfortable with TS ownership that meets the following criteria:
1. If all the current trading paradigm changes, I’d be happy to visit my TS every time. Or, if my intended use of my timeshare falls through, I’m ok using it myself.
2. I can use it without paying fees beyond my MF- ie I don’t need a Redweek account to rent it, or an II exchange fee to use it
3. I can get there inexpensively and bring a ton of stuff, including groceries from home if need be. IE it’s a driveable location.
4. I can rid myself of the timeshare easily when I’m done with it (most good season Marriotts fit the bill).

The basic idea is that if costs escalate beyond expectation, you’re not stuck in a TS you can’t use or recoup your annual costs by renting.

Lock offs are really nice (because they add a big layer of flexibility to TS ownership), and generally speaking I prefer them. But sometimes you specifically want to own at a resort that doesn’t have lock off units.

Dont get me wrong- I have a pure trader (SBP) that I never want to go to, I’d have to fly to use it, and someday I might have trouble getting rid of it. So sometimes you break your own rules and still find yourself hanging onto a timeshare you really should part with.

But I agree with JonT that there’s a few other factors to consider that might decrease the hassle factor of TS ownership. If Marriott Hilton Head resorts were lock offs, they’d be perfect for you. Maybe Florida is close enough for you to drive to, esp as the kids get older- so those might be good choices. If Williamsburg Marriotts are lock offs, Id consider one of those too.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have enrolled weeks, you pretty much hedge all of the negatives that you mention and limit the fees. I agree with everything you posted BTW.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Remember that getaways in II are pretty much leftovers in overbuilt areas and usually has higher end resorts blocked out. Generally, buy where you would be happy going most of the time and learn to deposit early for best trading power, locking off can double your vacation time for not much more money, and learn as you go. Conventional wisdom is that MGV and MGC are the best 3 bedrooms to buy, no matter the size platinum is best, and book the best week to deposit that you can. Those are all good starting points.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Using II with a lockoff drastically reduces your per night cost. Let's just pick a unit I have MGV 2 BR Gold season lockoff that I basically got paid to take so no acquisition cost, ~$1500/year MFs.

Using only that week puts my per night cost around $215. Locking off, depositing, and trading with upgrade to 2 2 BRs (and I can easily get trades into summer month Orlando and Palm Beaches MVC resorts, plus Christmas/New Years and Easter/Spring weeks in Orlando), even with the ~ $500 in lockoff, trade and upgrade fees puts me under $150/night. Trading into Hilton Head summer is a non-starter for Gold, not sure about Platinum.

Only drawback is that gold season doesn't have any non-school season weeks, unless you include Thanksgiving. Platinum season trades better and gives you much better "use as is" options, but there is an acquisition cost to amortize.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Using II with a lockoff drastically reduces your per night cost. Let's just pick a unit I have MGV 2 BR Gold season lockoff that I basically got paid to take so no acquisition cost, ~$1500/year MFs.

Using only that week puts my per night cost around $215. Locking off, depositing, and trading with upgrade to 2 2 BRs (and I can easily get trades into summer month Orlando and Palm Beaches MVC resorts, plus Christmas/New Years and Easter/Spring weeks in Orlando), even with the ~ $500 in lockoff, trade and upgrade fees puts me under $150/night. Trading into Hilton Head summer is a non-starter for Gold, not sure about Platinum.

Only drawback is that gold season doesn't have any non-school season weeks, unless you include Thanksgiving. Platinum season trades better and gives you much better "use as is" options, but there is an acquisition cost to amortize.
Another drawback is you lose any view designation a week may have.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Another drawback is you lose any view designation a week may have.

True, but doesn't matter with inland resorts that are good traders (MGV, MWR, MGC), as we don't have view designations. I'm actually happy losing my at best golf course view Grande Vista unit for an oceanview Ocean Pointe. Generalizing a bit, but most units that have desirable view designations are going to have a much higher acquisition cost anyway.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2BR Harbour Lake off eBay for $300 all-in to trade. Here is how I would calculate my per night cost to exchange for (2) 2BR week stays. (I didn't include the buy-in cost since it will really depend on how many years I own it, but since it was only $300 its not a large expense broken out over several years.) When I joined II they were running a special of 3 years for the price of 1 for new Marriott owners.

MF $ 1,505.00
Lock-off $ 90.00
II Membership $ 33.00
Exchange Fee 1- Aruba Ocean Club $ 119.00
Exchange Fee 2- TBD $ 119.00
Upsize Fee 1 $ 99.00
Upsize Fee 2 $ 198.00
Total Cost $ 2,163.00
Nights14
Cost/Night $ 154.50

The rack rate on Marriott.com for the one week in the 2BR in Aruba is $652 per night. Obviously it could be had for less renting from an owner, but that would still be more than $154.50 per night I'm sure!

Last edited:

GoodTimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2BR Harbour Lake off eBay for $300 all-in to trade. Here is how I would calculate my per night cost to exchange for (2) 2BR week stays. (I didn't include the buy-in cost since it will really depend on how many years I own it, but since it was only $300 its not a large expense broken out over several years.) When I joined II they were running a special of 3 years for the price of 1 for new Marriott owners.

MF$ 1,505.00
Lock-off$ 90.00
II Membership$ 33.00
Exchange Fee 1- Aruba Ocean Club$ 119.00
Exchange Fee 2- TBD$ 119.00
Upsize Fee 1$ 99.00
Upsize Fee 2$ 198.00
Total Cost$ 2,163.00
Nights14
Cost/Night$ 154.50

The rack rate on Marriott.com for the one week in the 2BR in Aruba is $652 per night. Obviously it could be had for less renting from an owner, but that would still be more than $154.50 per night I'm sure!

Those are great numbers. Are those prime weeks you are getting or off season? How likely is it to get the upsize? Is it difficult to get back to back weeks?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

MF$ 1,505.00
Lock-off$ 90.00
II Membership$ 33.00
Upsize Fee 1$ 99.00
Upsize Fee 2$ 198.00
Total Cost$ 2,163.00
Nights14
Cost/Night$ 154.50

You would save some money to upgrade to II Platinum on a 2 for 1 deal. Two years for $139. You would get 6 discounted upgrade fees for that. Would save you $240 in upgrade fees.

Reactions: jme

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

MF$ 1,505.00
Lock-off$ 90.00
II Membership$ 33.00
Upsize Fee 1$ 99.00
Upsize Fee 2$ 198.00
Total Cost$ 2,163.00
Nights14
Cost/Night$ 154.50

You are a little low on the Marriott to Marriott exchange fees. They are $159 a trade IIRC. Wonder if there will be an increase in exchange fees this year with II?

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are great numbers. Are those prime weeks you are getting or off season? How likely is it to get the upsize? Is it difficult to get back to back weeks?

Thanks!

I have only made one exchange so far. But it was for Aruba the last week of April. Which was the exact thing and week I was trying to get as it’s my wife and I anniversary. I got a match in 2 days. I’m sure it may not always be that easy though.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
in the beginning ( during my 30 years of using timeshare stays) I tried to average the cost Per Night between $29 to $49 dollars per night.

Now I tried to average the cost per night between $69-$79 per night depending on the resort location and the time of the year.

I maybe low or high on both projections. This is based upon the top of my head projections.

Last edited:

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't read through the entire thread, but I can share how I figure out my costs of owning a Marriott legacy week at Surfwatch. I'm sure I'm off on my calculations, but not by much. We paid $6500 in 2017 (too much for a resale, even direct through Marriott) and with averaging out our MF (including increases each year) over 10 years, I come up with about $320 per night for a 2 bed/2 bath/sleep 8 garden view villa/gold season. Averages $2240 per year for a 7 night stay.

I guess that's not so bad for the week we usually go (Spring Break), I have seen the rentals through booking.com, etc. at $450 a night. As a relatively new owner of MVC and being an owner of DVC for 20 years, I can say owning Marriott isn't as cost effective as I thought it would be. Of course, this past year didn't help with COVID causing loss of money and vacation options for so many people, including us. Even so, I find there's a charge for everything with Marriott. If I want to change my 2021 Spring Break week (daughter having a baby!) and try to book the Fall instead, there's a change fee to use our week at our home resort during our gold season. There's a membership fee to Interval International if we want to deposit our week and if I understand correctly, a fee to book a different place within Interval (besides the membership fee).

We bought with the purpose of only using our time at our home resort, but due to Covid, this year we had to use it as a certificate through II so we had to pay a membership and then pay for booking a resort with the certificate. I added that to 2020's maintenance fees we paid and compared it to what the rental prices of the resort/week we were able to get with the certificate would be. It comes out to a loss of approximately $900 for this year and it turns out we will only be able to use 3 nights of the week we were able to get with Interval, so there's a loss in that as well.

We did wind up putting our 2021 week up for rent due to our not being able to use it since our daughter is due that week, but hopefully this will be the only time we have to rent it out. We are hoping to be able to use it with our children and grandchildren going forward. Surfwatch is absolutely gorgeous, and I have only wonderful things to say about the resort and location itself.

Good luck with your decision and happy timesharing!

Bearster

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club; Marriott Grande Vista; Woodstone at Massanutten, Golden Strand (Kill Devil Hills, NC)
One point of information is that Manor Club is due to be renovated starting in 2021. I have no information about how the pandemic will affect this timetable. If the owners' association returns to the classic Manor Club style, the trading value of this timeshare should increase. The most recent renovation was not what many owners wanted and has depressed trading value for the past six years, although the trading value is still exceptionally good for all seasons. (There is a platinum week on ebay for which the auction expires today). Separately, I have found that the II A/C weeks for MVCI are regularly available for shoulder seasons at Manor Club, Grand Vista, and for Hilton Head and Orlando properties. I have seen many families taking three-day weekend trips during these times, especially on Hilton Head.