• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Multiple HGVC weeks and RCI

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Sorry if this has been asked before, and feel free to point me to another thread if this has been answered previously. Do you know how RCI knows which points to use for an exchange if we own more than one HGVC week? Are they in the same RCI account and all pooled together? If they are all in one account, can we specify which points to use? We only own one week, but if we were to buy another one, I would want to use my Elara points for RCI trades first.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Sorry if this has been asked before, and feel free to point me to another thread if this has been answered previously. Do you know how RCI knows which points to use for an exchange if we own more than one HGVC week? Are they in the same RCI account and all pooled together? If they are all in one account, can we specify which points to use? We only own one week, but if we were to buy another one, I would want to use my Elara points for RCI trades first.

Where would your other points come from? Someone more knowledgeable in HGVC might chime in, but I thought points are points no matter where they came from. I believe By Hilton Club points are different, but regular HGVC club points are all the same.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own Elara now and would prefer to use it to trade vs. using another higher MF property we might buy, like West 57th or Kingsland, for example. We’d want to use those more pricey points to stay at those home resorts.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you deed your TS's the same way, HGVC will pool all your regular HGVC points together in one account ("by Hilton Club" points are separated). They do not care, nor does RCI, which TS the points came from. You will not have points from specific TS's.

When you open the RCI portal, you see all the points RCI will let you use. When you book a stay, RCI draws from your saved points (unless your stay is past their expiration), then current points (even if your stay is after 12/31), and lastly, future years' points. There's no way to specify the resort, the points come from your pool.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The post in this thread should help with how points are allocated for Home Week booking in HGVC.

Very good question. You will have home week booking available, as long as you have the required number of points available FOR THAT SPECIFIC YEAR/unit/resort (not saved points or next years points) in your account {I certainly hope that I was clear on the answer. If not then ask again}. I had the same question so I asked Club Reservation Counselor a couple of years ago. They told me the same thing and based also upon my years of booking experience I find this to be true. I also was worried about how this worked because I have ski week home booking at both Valdoro and Park City.

So once you drop below the required number of points in that year for that resort/unit (again not saved or following years points), you will lose home week booking. So just as an example, let say that you own a 2-Bd unit in both LV and Valdoro both 7,000 points each for a total of 14,000 points. Let also say that you use 7000 of you 2019 points to book HHV. You will still have Home Week booking available at both Valdoro and LV. But of course, once you book the first one such as Valdoro, you will lose Home Week booking in LV.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies. So I currently have 7800 Elara points. If I buy 5250 West 57th points, I'll have 13,050 points. RCI will pull points if I make any exchanges. As long as I have at least 5250 HGVC points left and haven't booked anything at West 57th for that year, I will be able to use those points to book that resort? And if I have 10,000 HGVC points, I will only be able to book an Elara Home Week until I go below 7800?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
No, HGVC and by Hilton Club (W57) are in different buckets. I don’t know which bucket RCI will pull from. I will need to defer to someone who owns both HGVC and by Hilton Club answer your question.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Based on a recent reply in another thread (see link), it sounds like the system defaults to the oldest points first (FIFO) which might not be desirable. The current reported fix is for ByHiltonClub owners to call in order to straighten out their account whenever the wrong points are applied (see link)

Hilton really needs to add the ability for ByHiltonClub owners to select which points to use during the reservation process whenever all points apply.

Honestly they should have kept the accounts separate. It would have been easier for them to manage in the long run.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Based on a recent reply in another thread (see link), it sounds like the system defaults to the oldest points first (FIFO) which might not be desirable. The current reported fix is for ByHiltonClub owners to call in order to straighten out their account whenever the wrong points are applied (see link)

Hilton really needs to add the ability for ByHiltonClub owners to select which points to use during the reservation process whenever all points apply.

Honestly they should have kept the accounts separate. It would have been easier for them to manage in the long run.

I think that HGVC wanted to give the option to by Hilton Club members the option of using their points at any club. Managing a system that moves points back and forth would be a logistical nightmare. Developing a system of tagging points would be extensive as well. It seems that a system where you have a certain amount of by Hilton Points you can use at by Hilton properties depending on how many by Hilton points you own.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks for the links. If we do purchase a ByHiltonClub week, I'll definitely have to keep an eye on the buckets. I have a lot to learn about Hilton still. Disney seems to do this well by letting us choose what contract we want to pull points from.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
"by Hilton Club" (bHC) owners pay a flat fee for unlimited reservations and cancellations, as I understand it.

If I owned bHC points and HGVC points, and I was concerned about preserving bHC points when making Club Reservations, I would:
  • Make a bHC reservation toward the end of the Use Year that uses up all my bHC points. The bHC reservation would just serve to hold my bHC points until I'm actually ready to use them.
  • Any HGVC Club Reservations would then just pull HGVC points from that Use Year. If borrowing points is needed, I would also make a bHC reservation using up all my bHC points for the following Use Year, so that only HGVC points are borrowed.
  • Then just cancel the bHC reservation holding my bHC points when I'm actually ready to use them.
I prefer doing things online without having to call in, if there's a reasonable workaround, but recognize that others may prefer to just call it in.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I think that HGVC wanted to give the option to by Hilton Club members the option of using their points at any club. Managing a system that moves points back and forth would be a logistical nightmare. Developing a system of tagging points would be extensive as well. It seems that a system where you have a certain amount of by Hilton Points you can use at by Hilton properties depending on how many by Hilton points you own.
Based on your comment, I don’t think you understand the topic being discussed.

Last edited: