• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MSY-New Orleans airport to French Quarter Area?

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are flying now instead of driving too New Orleans. My daughter's friend isn't able to go now. Her father researched crime rates and said no after it being a maybe. Which is a shame but I guess I would be concerned about my daughter going without her parents along. We had enough miles for 3 one way tickets on AA so it was a real bargin. What is the best way to get to the airport to the French Quarter Area for three? Never having been to NOLA I don't know if its affordable by taxi or if there is a train or bus from the airport.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
No train, but there is a bus. It's really cheap, but can be a hassle if you travel on a weekend.

The bus is called the E-2. http://www.jeffersontransit.org/schedules/E2Airport-Map.htm You pick it up in the middle of the median outside the arrivals ground transportation area. After you exit the sliding glass doors, you cross the street halfway to a bus median. In the middle of the median is a bench and a small sign that says E-2.

I think the bus runs every 1/2 or so and it costs $1.60 per person with no change returned if you don't have exact change.

It drops you off at the northern part of the Central Business District (Canal & Saratoga) near the Tulane Medical Center. It's about a 1/2 mile walk to the French Quarter.

On weekends, the E-2 only goes to Clairborne & Tulane Ave. in Mid City, which isn't the safest of neighborhoods. There you walk a 1/2 block south on Tulane Ave. and take the 39 bus all the way down Tulane Ave. and it ends at Canal & Saratoga in the Central Business District.

Unless you are familiar with New Orleans or are particularly adventurous, I would recommend just taking a cab. The E-2 is mostly used by airport employees, college students, and thrifty locals.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
No train, but there is a bus. It's really cheap, but can be a hassle if you travel on a weekend . . . Unless you are familiar with New Orleans or are particularly adventurous, I would recommend just taking a cab. The E-2 is mostly used by airport employees, college students, and thrifty locals.

Sounds like a grand hassle, not worth the $30 you'd save. We'll be cabbin' it tomorrow!

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info but with the luggage I'll take the taxi and its pretty reasonable anyway. If I was in just for the weekend with a backpack it might have been a good option.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took the bus

Thanks for the info but with the luggage I'll take the taxi and its pretty reasonable anyway. If I was in just for the weekend with a backpack it might have been a good option.

We were just there about a month ago and took the bus to the French Quarter. It was no problem except it does take much longer than a Taxi.
We did take a Taxi back to the airport though because we weren't going to take any chance of being late. We actually enjoyed the bus and used public transportation for the entire week. Fun to ride the trollys to the end of the line. Made seeing the area lots of fun for both my wife and myself.
Bart

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just there about a month ago and took the bus to the French Quarter. It was no problem except it does take much longer than a Taxi.
We did take a Taxi back to the airport though because we weren't going to take any chance of being late. We actually enjoyed the bus and used public transportation for the entire week. Fun to ride the trollys to the end of the line. Made seeing the area lots of fun for both my wife and myself.
Bart

So there is another person who does this. We also took the bus from the airport. Loved seeing the real city, were in no hurry. Took the trolley too. And walked a lot!
Can't remember how we got back to the airport. I think it was the bus again.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad your daughter's friend's father nixed her going. Taking reasonable precautions, as any visit to a city would necessitate, we've never had any crime issues in New Orleans. And we go almost every year, have stayed in and out of the Quarter, pre and post Katrina.

How old is your daughter? There's plenty of activities for kids and teens as well.

Where are you staying?

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad your daughter's friend's father nixed her going. Taking reasonable precautions, as any visit to a city would necessitate, we've never had any crime issues in New Orleans. And we go almost every year, have stayed in and out of the Quarter, pre and post Katrina.

How old is your daughter? There's plenty of activities for kids and teens as well.

Where are you staying?

My daughter turns 17 shortly before the trip. Her friend turn 18 soon. I'm not concerned about crime because we often have urban vacations NYC, London etc. and live near Chicago. She comes from a large family that doesn't travel much so the unknown is often scary plus they have only been friends for a year so he doesn't know us extremely well so I'm sure that is contributing to it. We are staying at the Hotel de la Monnaie. While we'll use a taxi to from the airport we'll purchase the 3 day pass for the bus and trollies.
I wish they had a 7 day one like NYC. I was thinking about maybe renting a car for a day in the middle to see plantations or we could do a bus tour. Any advice on which is better to do?

Last edited:

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
music

Your hotel is well located to enjoy the post Katrina music clubs. Also my favorite market with great takeout is not too far away. Matassa's Market
1001 Dauphine Street • New Orleans, LA 70116

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking about maybe renting a car for a day in the middle to see plantations or we could do a bus tour. Any advice on which is better to do?

My vote would be to rent a car and do a plantation tour. You'll get more bang for your dollar and be operating on your schedule. You'll see more on your own and it's an easy drive. Just plug in the addresses on maps.google.com or another map site to help you figure out driving directions.

I know you've read my previous thread about Louisiana Plantations. I'm posting the link here again to make it easier for you to look up info which also has bus tour info if you decide to go that route.

Have a great trip,

Richard

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe your TS also has complementary self parking in their adjacent parking garage, so renting a car might be quite cost effective for you.

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely check out that market. Any suggestions of where I could rent a car for the day without going back to the airport?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll definitely check out that market. Any suggestions of where I could rent a car for the day without going back to the airport?

There's a Budget Car Rental on Canal Street, they'll pick you up at your timeshare (take you back too, when you return the car) - they're located at 1317 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112; phone is 505-565-5600 - see this site there's a $25-off coupon if you rent online

Have a great trip

Richard

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to take the trolley to the Garden District. Beautiful homes. We saw a house that Anne Rice used to live in. I don't know if she still lives there. Be sure to visit the cemetery where they filmed part of the Vampire movie with Tom Cruise. That is also in or near the garden district. I think it was called Conversation with a Vampire - based on an Anne Rice novel.

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Richard I really appreciate your plantation links. That should definitely be a sticky post if its not already. Its going to be very hard to choose which ones to see.

Pgnewarkboy I'll look for that one. We will go the Garden District for sure and I anticipate doing several walks.

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
designer outlet shopping

:cheer: You and your daughter may enjoy shopping at the UAL outlet near NOLA restaurant. United Apparel Liquidators 518 Chartres Street. I once found a pair of $750 Prada boots for $67.

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer: You and your daughter may enjoy shopping at the UAL outlet near NOLA restaurant. United Apparel Liquidators 518 Chartres Street. I once found a pair of $750 Prada boots for $67.

We'll check it out. Thanks.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were going to do the Grand Tour with Tours by Isabelle which included two planations and a swamp tour for around $140pp. We decided to rent a car for two days through Enterprise ($90 total for a midsized) and do some touring ourselves. Even with the parking here at La Belle Maison ($26 overnight) and the admissions for all we want to do, it worked out to be less expensive. More importantly, it will allow us to be on our own schedules at the plantations.

FYI I checked out the Budget car rentals just now and for this Thurs/Fri it was about $15 more and the $25 coupon is only good for a week long rental. So you may want to look into Enterprise, who is also on Canal and has door to door service.

Von

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manning Family

Be sure to take the trolley to the Garden District. Beautiful homes. We saw a house that Anne Rice used to live in. I don't know if she still lives there. Be sure to visit the cemetery where they filmed part of the Vampire movie with Tom Cruise. That is also in or near the garden district. I think it was called Conversation with a Vampire - based on an Anne Rice novel.

We also toured the area with a walking tour map. Saw the house of Archie Manning and family. We talked to a man that lived a block away and he was telling us that the price of the houses isn't what kills you but the maintanance does. Almost sounds like timeshares.
Bart