• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MRP travel package questions

dive-in

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
With the pending changes coming to the MRP program I looking closely at redeeming my points before the exchange rates go up. I do have some questions.

1. How long does it take to get the FF points posted and specifically for AA? Does it really take 6 weeks as posted on the website?
  2. Does the hotel certificate have an expiration? If so, how long do you have to use it?
  3. If I need more FF points and have plenty of MRP, can I get them as part of the package? 120K points is the highest shown on the web site and I need 140K. I know you can move points straight into miles but the travel packages are a better deal.

Thanks,
Darrell

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the pending changes coming to the MRP program I looking closely at redeeming my points before the exchange rates go up. I do have some questions.

1. How long does it take to get the FF points posted and specifically for AA? Does it really take 6 weeks as posted on the website?
  2. Does the hotel certificate have an expiration? If so, how long do you have to use it?
  3. If I need more FF points and have plenty of MRP, can I get them as part of the package? 120K points is the highest shown on the web site and I need 140K. I know you can move points straight into miles but the travel packages are a better deal.

Thanks,
Darrell

1. The points are typically posted to your AA account within 24 hours. THe name on the AA account and Marriott account must match.

2. The certificates expire after 1 year. If you have them attached to a reservation, they do not expire, even if the reservation is beyond 1 year from the date the certificate was issued.

3. 120 miles is the highest. If you need more miles, purchase another package (if you have the points).

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
However, at this point it isn't clear if a certificate that isn't attached to a reservation can be used after Jan. 15, 2009.

This question has been asked on www.flyertalk.com and the Marriott rep (Marriott Concierge) is looking into the answer. If you attach a cert to a reservation and don't intend to make changes to that res, you should be fine. But if you have to change the dates or location of your vacation, it's possible the certificate will have to be re-issued at the new rates.

I'd hold off on purchasing any travel packages until we're sure what will happen with the new program.

For example, I have a reservation in March 2009 at a category 5 property with an e-certificate attached from a travel package. No problem if I actually use that reservation & certificate. However, if my plans change (and they often do!) I'm not sure what will happen to the certificate. Will I have to add points to use it at the new redemption rates? Will it expire soon?

hazpete

Reaction score
However, at this point it isn't clear if a certificate that isn't attached to a reservation can be used after Jan. 15, 2009.

This question has been asked on www.flyertalk.com and the Marriott rep (Marriott Concierge) is looking into the answer. If you attach a cert to a reservation and don't intend to make changes to that res, you should be fine. But if you have to change the dates or location of your vacation, it's possible the certificate will have to be re-issued at the new rates.

I'd hold off on purchasing any travel packages until we're sure what will happen with the new program.

For example, I have a reservation in March 2009 at a category 5 property with an e-certificate attached from a travel package. No problem if I actually use that reservation & certificate. However, if my plans change (and they often do!) I'm not sure what will happen to the certificate. Will I have to add points to use it at the new redemption rates? Will it expire soon?

I arranged for two travel packages a couple weeks ago--one for a cat 6 and one for a cat 7. I made the reservations for next Sept and today confirmed on the phone with Marriott Rewards that the certificates will be valid.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I arranged for two travel packages a couple weeks ago--one for a cat 6 and one for a cat 7. I made the reservations for next Sept and today confirmed on the phone with Marriott Rewards that the certificates will be valid.

True, certificates with reservations will definitely still be valid for 1 year from the date of issuance.

The question was regarding certificates without reservations. The Marriott Concierge on flyertalk has now confirmed those also will be good for 1 year:

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
I have a bit of good news for you. Travel packages and hopper rewards ordered prior to January 15th can be used for reward stays booked on or after the 15th. If you call Guest Services on January 14th, (it may be a little busy if you all decide to do this) and order as many travel packages as you have points for, the mileage will be transferred to the airline you chose and you will have twelve months from the date of issuance to use the hotel portions.
Ira

Last edited:

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
One word of caution

I emailed the Flyertalk Marriott Concierge to get some clarification on this. One word of caution - he told me that, although they are going to allow the old travel package certifictes to be used for travel after 1-15-09, they will not offer the customary one-year extension of the certificates. So if you order a certificate on 1-14-09, as Ira suggested above, do not expect to use it beyond 1-14-10. The same would apply to any existing certificates- no extensions beyond 1-14-10.

I am trying to find out from him whether or not you could upgrade the certs to the new certs by paying the point differential and then have a cert that would quailfy for a one-year extension. Also asking if you could covert them to the new 5 -day certs (for MVCI owners only) and get to the same result- i.e.be able to extend them one time for a year.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told to be SURE to attach the certificate by January 15th. I was holding off - I was going to wait to attach the certs to the reservations in case I got a timeshare trade. But with the devaluation, the Marriott rep said we should attach them by the deadline...

she didn't really know much about the whole situation, so she could have been wrong, but I wasn't chancing it. I will be staying at the hotel in Kauai with my certs. Glad I decided not to wait to use my points.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel Package

If a travel package is purchased with points do the airline miles have to be applied to a FF account immediately or can they "sit" for a future trip?

Thanks,

Danette :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If a travel package is purchased with points do the airline miles have to be applied to a FF account immediately or can they "sit" for a future trip?

Thanks,

Danette :)

You have to pick at the time of using the package what airline you want to send them to. Once in the airlines FF account, they fall under the terms of use of that airlines program. So they can sit and likely don't need to be used right away. Be sure to check the T&C of the airlines FF program though.

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a cert. that expires 4-09-I wanted to extend it to 11-09, I can book the stay on 11-08. I wonder if I can call 11-08 and get it extended since I will do it prior to 1-09?

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a cert. that expires 4-09-I wanted to extend it to 11-09, I can book the stay on 11-08. I wonder if I can call 11-08 and get it extended since I will do it prior to 1-09?

That plan should work fine. Just ask them to extend and attach the cert when you book the reservation. Excerpt from an email that I got from the Flyertalk Marriott Concierge (Ira) this morning -

"To answer your first set of questions. If you have a travel package extended anytime before January 15th the expiration date will be on year from the day it is extended. I then can wait to make my reservation anytime before the package expires. If I make my reservation before January 15th I can order the old rewards anytime prior to the reservation date.

For example I could do either of the following:

1. I order/extend my travel package on January 14, 2009. It now has an expiration date of 1/14/10. Because the certificate will be good for one year I can call in March of 20009 and make my reservation for April using the reward I had issued prior to the day the change took place. (note: this will only work for travel packages and hopper rewards)"