• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moving up in benefit level

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a lowly Owner at Marriott Vacation Club, owning one week that generates 2,775 Destination Club points. If I buy 1,500 Trust Points from a third party and during the year also convert my week to 2,775 destination club points, I will have in excess of 4,000 points for the year. Does that make me Select Level for that year and can I then book 13 months out without paying a 20% points premium?

Thank you.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It would make you Select level in ALL years, not just the years you also elect your week for points…meaning that even in years you use your week as a week, your 1500 Trust Point would still allow you to book 7+ nights at 13 months without paying the point premium. Of course, you may have to rent some points in such a year to have enough points to book 7+ nights, as 1500 on its own is not likely to get you much.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying third party though, you would need to pay stipulated feed to have full unrestricted access to all benefits.

063B7171-8EE3-442A-BB5C-37C1EA0AB1E3.jpeg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wouldn’t put that much value in the 7+ nights at 13 months. Has anyone found it useful? I think the bigger perk is at Executive with 1+ nights at 13 months.

Fallenone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
I wouldn’t put that much value in the 7+ nights at 13 months. Has anyone found it useful? I think the bigger perk is at Executive with 1+ nights at 13 months.
It's better than paying 20% more than the standard point chart for being the lowest level member.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Bonvoy Platinum Elite (that comes with Select level) has some nice perks if you use Marriott hotels. The free breakfast is very nice in some locations.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Bonvoy Platinum Elite (that comes with Select level) has some nice perks if you use Marriott hotels. The free breakfast is very nice in some locations.

How that you can get "Platinum" just by paying a $650 annual fee for the Brilliant card, I doubt the free breakfasts and concierge lounge access at hotels will last much longer... And paying the $650 annual fee (while getting some benefits from that card each year) is probably a more cost-effective way to get Platinum. And if benefits go away, you can get rid of the card easier than the Trust points.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
How that you can get "Platinum" just by paying a $650 annual fee for the Brilliant card, I doubt the free breakfasts and concierge lounge access at hotels will last much longer... And paying the $650 annual fee (while getting some benefits from that card each year) is probably a more cost-effective way to get Platinum. And if benefits go away, you can get rid of the card easier than the Trust points.
Yeah, definitely agree buying points is not a cost efficient way to get Platinum. :) It's just another benefit to consider. I stumbled into Platinum when MVC announced the program changes, and I've enjoyed the breakfasts and late checkouts. Also agree on status "inflation" - I've been reading many posts about airport lounges rejecting Priority Pass (a common premium credit card perk.)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even at Chairman Club level I still see benefit in booking 7+ nights at 13 months, as well as 1+ nights at 13 months.
Perhaps this is just because we primarily book long stays as early as possible, but want the flexibility and value of combining Lower points Mon - Thu stays around full weeks stays?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Even at Chairman Club level I still see benefit in booking 7+ nights at 13 months, as well as 1+ nights at 13 months.
Perhaps this is just because we primarily book long stays as early as possible, but want the flexibility and value of combining Lower points Mon - Thu stays around full weeks stays?
THere may b e benefits, but how often is one scoring a 7+ night stay using elected points at 13 months?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
THere may b e benefits, but how often is one scoring a 7+ night stay using elected points at 13 months?
I have recently booked the new Bali Nusa Dua Terrace resort for 7+ night stays using elected points between 12 and 13 months out.
The only reason it was not at 13 months was that it only opened inventory for any bookings in early October 2022 and I booked 4 weeks for October 2023 on the day of first release.
I have previously booked Phuket for 7+ night stays using elected points at 13 months out though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a lowly Owner at Marriott Vacation Club, owning one week that generates 2,775 Destination Club points. If I buy 1,500 Trust Points from a third party and during the year also convert my week to 2,775 destination club points, I will have in excess of 4,000 points for the year. Does that make me Select Level for that year and can I then book 13 months out without paying a 20% points premium?

Thank you.
I'd step back and think where you want to be with MVC and for travel in 5 years and how you'd see using your timeshare week and/or points. If all you see you need is what you have now plus a few points, it sounds worthwhile in your situation. However, if this is a short term play and you see needing more points or weeks in the future, I'd generate a plan to get there all as one step even if it takes a little longer. There are other benefits at higher levels including a later banking deadline and later expiration of points. Don't forget that a good week with points will have a lower maintenance fee per point than Trust points.