• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mountain Biking?

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
heathpack, the Tahoe area is becoming a real mountain biking destination, and making a concerted effort to expand. An organization there called Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association is quite active in this. The Flume Trail above the lake on the north side near Incline Village NV is one of the most beautiful in the country and has a shuttle for one way trips too.

Here's a link to a mountain biking page with map for Tahoe. Click on the Flume Trail listing to see more about that, and some nice photos. There are many other trails there too, including parts of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

http://www.singletracks.com/Mountai...rBy=|loc:39.01132~-120.32548~25~Rubicon+Trail

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
heathpack, the Tahoe area is becoming a real mountain biking destination, and making a concerted effort to expand. An organization there called Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association is quite active in this. The Flume Trail above the lake on the north side near Incline Village NV is one of the most beautiful in the country and has a shuttle for one way trips too.

Here's a link to a mountain biking page with map for Tahoe. Click on the Flume Trail listing to see more about that, and some nice photos. There are many other trails there too, including parts of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

http://www.singletracks.com/Mountai...rBy=|loc:39.01132~-120.32548~25~Rubicon+Trail

I think I mentioned this up thread somewhere but my cycling coach lives in Reno. He races road & track bikes but does a lot of mountain biking for fun. His schedule is crazy as is mine, or else I would have been up there already to ride.

He was just telling me how yesterday he rode parts of the Tahoe Rim trail & also the Flume trail. I've seen pics in the past & that's part of why I decided to get a mountain bike actually. Very beautiful.

I was up there last fall to ride the road with him. We rode to the top of Mt Rose from Reno. Also from Truckee up & over Donner Pass and back. And then a big loop from Reno to Carson City to Virginia City & back to Reno. It was a tiring weekend, probably 120ish miles over 3 days with maybe 9000 ft of elevation gain. Nice cycling though for sure.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, heath, lots of really scenic parts on the Rim Trail. The area out of Tahoe Meadows near mt. rose southward on the Rim Trail has good scenery, and is not too steep up there. It only allows bikes on every other day though, at least in prime summer season, don't know about otherwise.

Taking a shuttle from the cafe at the north end of Flume road drops you at Spooner Lake at the Hwy 50 junction with your bike. That ride goes up valley, past Marlette Lake, then down the Flume to the cafe drop off. Great fall colors, usually in mid October, on the poplar trees throughout that ride.

I mostly hike, but occasionally rent bikes up there. There's an expanding network of paved bike trails along the lake too, many of which do or will connect with mountain bike paths. They hope to eventually ring the lake with a paved bike trail, but that's a long term goal. For now, they're filling in gaps here and there as money comes available.

There's also a good bike map showing paved trails and single track mountain trails that I have -- has a website address of www.tahoebike.org on it. The interactive map on this website seems to show mainly just paved paths from my quick look, but the paper map I got from them shows many more routes including single trail in the mountains.

Some of the other hiking topo maps they sell up there show alot of mountain bike routes too, and describe them on the maps. One I have is called Tahoe Basin Trail Map, by Adventure Maps, Inc.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
McGhie's bicycle shop in Las Vegas has a small bike shop outside of Las Vegas, in the town of Blue Diamond near Red Rocks. You can rent mountain bikes there, or take a guided tour.

http://mcghies.com/articles/blue-diamond-store-pg293.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...icycle_and_Hiking_Tours-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

I haven't rented any bikes there, but Trek and Cannondale bring their bikes there several times a year so that riders can take them out for test rides which is fun. I really like the Trek Fuel EX-9's with the full suspension, it's really smooth on those mountain trails.

There are also a lot of bike trails out at Lake Mead.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
McGhie's bicycle shop in Las Vegas has a small bike shop outside of Las Vegas, in the town of Blue Diamond near Red Rocks. You can rent mountain bikes there, or take a guided tour.

http://mcghies.com/articles/blue-diamond-store-pg293.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...icycle_and_Hiking_Tours-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

I haven't rented any bikes there, but Trek and Cannondale bring their bikes there several times a year so that riders can take them out for test rides which is fun. I really like the Trek Fuel EX-9's with the full suspension, it's really smooth on those mountain trails.

There are also a lot of bike trails out at Lake Mead.

My Aunt lives in Vegas & I did some road riding when I went to visit her. Summerland to Red Rocks to Blue Diamond & back. I stopped at McGhie's in Blue Diamond to refill my bottles & take a rest. I don't remember them having mtn bikes but they were not on my radar at the time.

Vegas is doable for a weekend for us. :)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
So I get an email from a friend in Colorado. I know him through road biking but he was originally a mountain biker.

The subject line of his email reads: I am here to lead you down the rabbit hole of mountain biking...

And the body of the email asks if I want to do this:

http://adventureblog.nationalgeogra...-by-dirt-mountain-biking-the-white-rim-trail/

Non-technical 100 mile mountain bike ride in Utah. Man that looks totally delicious. :)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, totally do it! As I mentioned early upstream, Moab is a great area for this. UT desert lands area a special place on Earth.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Yes, totally do it! As I mentioned early upstream, Moab is a great area for this. UT desert lands area a special place on Earth.

My friend Tom, who sent me that link, was saying great things about Moab too. But his opinion is Moab is best for people with good mountain biking skills, so he'd recommend I hold off until I have some. He was saying that of course there's beginner stuff there I could ride. But it's best appreciated on the more advanced trails. And even then, the riding is fairly unique and no where else really prepares you for Moab.

Anyway, he also sent me a link to a forum post about one guys trip to the White Rim Trail. Here's a link to that, if you're interested. Extraordinary photos and excellent writing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/white-rim-passion-full-story-191696.html

Last edited:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend Tom, who sent me that link, was saying great things about Moab too. But his opinion is Moab is best for people with good mountain biking skills, so he'd recommend I hold off until I have some. He was saying that of course there's beginner stuff there I could ride. But it's best appreciated on the more advanced trails. And even then, the riding is fairly unique and no where else really prepares you for Moab.

Anyway, he also sent me a link to a forum post about one guys trip to the White Rim Trail. Here's a link to that, if you're interested. Extraordinary photos and excellent writing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/white-rim-passion-full-story-191696.html
Thanks for the link, very, very interesting !!

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
I live in Park City, UT and we have about 400 miles of trail in the area, ranging from beginner/gentle to hardcore downhill. Much of the riding though is in the middle, fun and flowy, not requiring pads/armor or 8-10" of travel!

In Park City, a standard full-suspension trail bike is plenty and you can ride for a week without repeating. Plus it's mountain desert so lots of bluebird days, with not much rain.

We also love LOVE LOVE Moab as it's full of amazing rides and only a 4 hour drive, but as your friend said, it's best to wait until you have some technical skills. Yes there are plenty of beginner trails in Moab, but they are usually dirt roads and flat and either boring or non-scenic, while the fun and beautiful trails are more advanced.

It is a rabbit hole...welcome!

(PS. I used to race downhill and can attest to the reason people do it even though bleeding: a good downhill day is like a powder day on skis, and you can have it every single run instead of waiting for a snowstorm. But after breaking myself over the years, I'm happy with simple and flowy these days.)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
So we went to Scotland and it turned out to be an awesome mountain biking destination.

There's a law in Scotland that says anyone has the right to access any land (even private property, albeit with some limitations) as long as you do it respectfully. This means that people are out on the trails and paths and farm tracks, on foot or bike. They want to involve their kids too, so there's all kinds of learning opportunities as well and plenty of easy stuff to ride for beginners.

In southern Scotland, there's a bunch of mountain bike parks on forestry lands that are set up like alpine ski centers- ie multiple trails of marked difficulty level, a mtb shop with rentals/sales/repairs, instructors, a cafe, etc. Best part is that they are free except for parking. The one I went to was called Glentress and it even had skills areas where you could preview and practice skills you would need for each level of trail.

In the Highlands, you are left to your own devices on "wild" trails.

But wherever you go, its easy to hire a mtb guide- this is a formal thing with specific certification that the guides get, different levels based on the complexity of what they are doing. Most of the guides are instructors as well.

We stayed a week at Edinburgh Residence and mostly visited the city while we were there- no cycling. But one day, I hired a guide. He picked me up and drove me down to Glentress, where I rented a nice full suspension Orange 5 MTB. We then rode all day long, up to the top of the mountain and down all the intermediate trails and then back up again and so on until I rode them all 2-3 times. It was fun, big time. Beautiful forest too.

After Edinburgh, we went up to Ballater to stay 5 nights at HGVC Craigandorrach Suites. This was a GREAT mountain biking location. I rented an awesome full suspension Juliana Furtado from a shop called Cycle Highlands. The shop was really helpful, so glad I connected with them. I rode two days solo and two half-days with a guide from the shop. The TS was 1 mile from the shop and I was able to do all my riding right from the TS itself.

My first solo day, I rode out to the Cambus O'May forest, which I described to my cycling friends as the Magical Fairy Forest of Singletrack Kindergarten. Easy trails, beautiful pine forest with mosses and ferns and some open areas of heather, with bubbling streams. So beautiful, I rode all over in there for an hour or two.

Next day, I rode with the guide. Some technical stuff up a hill called Cnoc Dubh and then out to Loch Kinord and around the lake.

Then on my own the next day out to Loch Muick. This is a great ride along the river- pasture, forest, then open moors, then the lake of course. Loch Muick is in the bowl formed by the mountains in this pic.

To be continued....

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Part two....

The next day was another half day with my guide (who was awesome). We rode out onto the Balmoral Estate- yes, the Queen's estate, remember that land access law?

Here I am on the estate. If you zoom in on this pic, you can see a little farm track coming from between the two mountains on the left side of the pic, in the foreground. We rode from there, across the photo to the right, then out of the pic until we finally looped around and re-entered the pic from right to left, near where I am standing. In between, we passed abandoned farms and through cool moors and had to scramble over a 6 ft high deer gate. :)

After that, the guide says to me, "Next we're going to the Enchanted Forest". :) :)

Then on to the River Dee, where we took a peek at the Queen's fishing hut. Yep, you can walk right up on the porch and look in the windows. Its a pretty nice hut.

Then finally, we ride out to Castle Knock. Its an ruined castle out in a pasture. You just ride your bike out and climb over the fence (there's even steps to help you get over) and then you can take a peek around the castle and even go inside. :) :) :)

After Ballater, we went to southern Scotland because we had some starwood hotel points to use.

I rode at Culzean Castle park and Drumlanrig Castle park, both with guides. Drumlanrig in particular was great- the trails were built by a master (who I rode with) and they were harder. Lots of roots and rocks and switchbacks. Honestly even the intermediate stuff was hard for me at my stage but the place was beautiful. It was raining for both of those rides (light rain, not bad to ride in actually) so I kept my phone safe and dry and didn't take pics.

We did plenty of other stuff too. But if anyone is looking for a great TS mountain bike locale, Scotland fits the bill for sure. The whole country is at your disposal. Loved it. I even googled how to move there. lol.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Very cool! Looks like so much fun. I especially love the picture of the enchanted forest.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are off biking next week, but on hybrids on relatively flat mixed terrain. Used to ride gnarly trails, but as I age I prefer the joy of touring and sightseeing while on the bike.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We are off biking next week, but on hybrids on relatively flat mixed terrain. Used to ride gnarly trails, but as I age I prefer the joy of touring and sightseeing while on the bike.

I am so bad at mountain biking that it's comical.

But I still really like it.

:)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Yeah, heath, lots of really scenic parts on the Rim Trail. The area out of Tahoe Meadows near mt. rose southward on the Rim Trail has good scenery, and is not too steep up there. It only allows bikes on every other day though, at least in prime summer season, don't know about otherwise.

Taking a shuttle from the cafe at the north end of Flume road drops you at Spooner Lake at the Hwy 50 junction with your bike. That ride goes up valley, past Marlette Lake, then down the Flume to the cafe drop off. Great fall colors, usually in mid October, on the poplar trees throughout that ride.

I mostly hike, but occasionally rent bikes up there. There's an expanding network of paved bike trails along the lake too, many of which do or will connect with mountain bike paths. They hope to eventually ring the lake with a paved bike trail, but that's a long term goal. For now, they're filling in gaps here and there as money comes available.

There's also a good bike map showing paved trails and single track mountain trails that I have -- has a website address of www.tahoebike.org on it. The interactive map on this website seems to show mainly just paved paths from my quick look, but the paper map I got from them shows many more routes including single trail in the mountains.

Some of the other hiking topo maps they sell up there show alot of mountain bike routes too, and describe them on the maps. One I have is called Tahoe Basin Trail Map, by Adventure Maps, Inc.

Well...

We're in Tahoe now. Spent four days in Reno at coach's house and we've been at Welk Northstar for the past 5 days, 2 more to go.

I brought three bikes, lol. Did one race for the experience of racing at altitude (which is really tough for me, but I did ok in my race, came in 2nd place and beat a bunch of men!). Did one road ride which was pretty fabulous, a forest road near Northstar called the Fiberboard Freeway.

But the jewels in the crown of this trip have been the mountain bike rides with coach. Way improved my skills on this trip.

In Reno, we rode Galena Creek, Whites Creek, Thomas Creek and the Dry Pond Loop, plus some unnamed local trails that took us from his house to the trails. Lol the morning of my road race, we did a wee mountain bike ride that had 1000 ft of singletrack climbing in the first 3.5 miles.

In Truckee, I rode the Sawtooth Trail with some girlfriends who are in the area. Great trail for me, just about my speed.

But the most gorgeous rides were on the slopes west of Tahoe.

We did one 18 mile ride from Tahoe Meadows on the Rim Trail, to the Marlette Flume Trail, down to Spooner Lake, where my husband picked us up.

Today we did 26 miles- the Incline Flume Trail to the Marlette section of the Tahoe Rim Trail, then back along the Marlette Flume Trail, then down Tunnel Creek Rd back into Incline Village.

Emigrant Trail is on the agenda for Sat. I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. Mountain biking is my new favorite thing, though.

Pics from the rides:

oOkT9Ay.jpg

nlt2u42.jpg

bJXYFlt.jpg

ZDjya4t.jpg

6WgC17M.jpg

jVf5gSL.jpg

BHIEIN7.jpg

s8yQqOe.jpg

eaEdO6G.jpg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I live in Park City, UT and we have about 400 miles of trail in the area, ranging from beginner/gentle to hardcore downhill. Much of the riding though is in the middle, fun and flowy, not requiring pads/armor or 8-10" of travel!

In Park City, a standard full-suspension trail bike is plenty and you can ride for a week without repeating. Plus it's mountain desert so lots of bluebird days, with not much rain.

We also love LOVE LOVE Moab as it's full of amazing rides and only a 4 hour drive, but as your friend said, it's best to wait until you have some technical skills. Yes there are plenty of beginner trails in Moab, but they are usually dirt roads and flat and either boring or non-scenic, while the fun and beautiful trails are more advanced.

It is a rabbit hole...welcome!

(PS. I used to race downhill and can attest to the reason people do it even though bleeding: a good downhill day is like a powder day on skis, and you can have it every single run instead of waiting for a snowstorm. But after breaking myself over the years, I'm happy with simple and flowy these days.)

We are going to Park City next July 6-13, staying at Marriott Mountainside. It's going to be a mountain biking trip. :)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Great pictures! Are those trails strictly biking trails or are there hikers on the trails as well? And how do you like Northstar for a summer location We're going next August.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Great pictures! Are those trails strictly biking trails or are there hikers on the trails as well? And how do you like Northstar for a summer location We're going next August.

There were hikers on all the trails too but none of them were crowded, plenty of room for everyone if you are hikers.

We like Northstar, but it's been a little awkward since my coach (who I've been riding with most days) lives in Reno ~45 min away. We've been meeting up for rides halfway between our locales, so I'm not spending much time in the Northstar area, honestly.

The Village seems nice, we ate there for lunch one day, good food at Rubicon Pizza (although no one ordered pizza).

Resort has all the basics- pool, hot tub, BBQs and nice units.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
q1gFwiD.jpg

So... my husband (who does not ride bikes but is a huge enabler) stopped by our local bike shop the other day. It’s owned by a husband and wife, and they sponsor our race team. So we’re all teammates and friends. The wife is totally bad ass on a bike. She mentions to my husband that she’s selling her mountain bike. Full on cross country racing mountain bike, full suspension, super light, 22 pounds.

My husband comes home and tells me I should call her and see about taking it on a test ride. Really? Our anniversary is coming up and he tells me it would be easier for him than trying to come up with a gift.

The next day I take the bike out and it’s MAGIC. I wind up with 28 PRs just on a casual two hour ride with a friend. Uphill PRs and downhill PRs. Wow that’s a nice bike. Seven pounds lighter than my current mountain bike.

So I bought it of course. For those of you who know mountain bikes, it’s a Scott Contessa Spark 900RC, 29er. Sweet ride.

Upcoming mountain bike trips:
Catalina Island for Memorial Day weekend
Big Bear Lake, CA two weekends later
Panguitch UT/Park City in July
St George UT in September
And now (in light of the new bike) probably Sedona over Thanksgiving.

:)

taffy19

Reaction score
I don't know much about mountain bikes but have two casual friends who ride them too quite seriously. One of them even goes to Italy with friends to ride in the Alps but Catalina should be interesting too. :D Most of it is unspoiled.

Please, post some pictures again.