• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mother has Dementia and moving her

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
My SIL’s Mother has early onset Dementia. She lives in Mississippi and they live in Michigan. She has been staying with them since the early days of the Coronavirus pandemic. They have determined that she can’t live by herself and are going to move her up with to live them or in a memory care facility close by. The SIL has power of attorney and they are going to sell her house and clear out most of the stuff and take some to Michigan. A major task being 800 miles away. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, anything they need to consider when cleaning out her house and putting it on the market? Watch outs, advice, etc. They plan on not taking her when they go down, thinking it would be too emotional for her.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The only advice I have is for the SIL to check what kind of power of attorney she has. When we went through a similar situation with my mother-in-law we discovered a problem with the power of attorney my husband had for her. It allowed him to take care of most of her things like paying bills but it didn't include buying/selling real estate. She had suffered a stroke and
was moved to a nursing home but when it became apparent that she wouldn't be able to live on her own again we needed to sell her condo. Fortunately, she was lucid enough that she
understood the situation and was willing to sign a new power of attorney. A notary came to the nursing home and took care of the signing. It would have been a big problem if she had refused or was unable to get the new POA.

Brett

Reaction score
My SIL’s Mother has early onset Dementia. She lives in Mississippi and they live in Michigan. She has been staying with them since the early days of the Coronavirus pandemic. They have determined that she can’t live by herself and are going to move her up with to live them or in a memory care facility close by. The SIL has power of attorney and they are going to sell her house and clear out most of the stuff and take some to Michigan. A major task being 800 miles away. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, anything they need to consider when cleaning out her house and putting it on the market? Watch outs, advice, etc. They plan on not taking her when they go down, thinking it would be too emotional for her.

We did that with my Mother but she was 98 when the decision was made last year to move to an assisted living facility. It took months to clean out her condo and give stuff away to relatives, friends, charity, etc. We're just now putting the condo on the market. It's not an easy process and the pandemic lockdown made things even harder.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. A large task if there ever was one.

We found a service that assists with this type of task. They were very helpful. But the general idea is that you will be taking mom's things and putting them into 4 categories: donate, keep, sell, trash. The selling can be done via an estate sale if that is of interest.

We kept my own mother pretty removed from all of this b/c it just becomes to hard to have them involved with dealing with all the possessions.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We were long distance. Beforehand, check with churches/good will/ etc. to set up a pick up time for furniture, kitchen items (mixer/pots/pans/plates), linens, clothing. It might be 2 different places. A local church had a ministry to a poor area and took all furniture. We did not bother with estate sale--we needed it gone quickly. Definitely leave MIL somewhere else. We had my Mother move to her new retirement center before we started. It took 10 days (10 hours a day) of painting/minor reno/clean out with dumpster (completely filled) and then 5 more days of "stuff" clean out (clothing, kitchen, etc.).
So, Rent a commercial dumpster to put in driveway-confirm you can discard mattresses. you'd be surprised how much "stuff" including damaged/soiled old furniture that's essentially unusable there is in a house. After the dumpster went away, I had to make 2 trips to the dump with 2 SUVs full of bags. Not a fond memory.
To get house ready: Find out the market of your area. For Mom's house, we were prepared to reno kitchen (new countertop, painted oak cabinets). Realtor said don't bother, as we were towards top of market due to size and new buyer was likely to knock out kitchen wall anyway. She said fresh paint inside and replace carpet if not in very good shape (or house has a musty smell). If you are getting carpet. Schedule carpet guy day 1 to measure and order carpet. Many places have "stock" carpet that doesn't need to be ordered. But you'll still have a lag for an installation appt. If you're using a realtor, see if he/she can supervise carpet install later before it goes on the market. IMHO, a realtor should be willing to do this. Check for dry rot and pests, repair. Trim yard, get fresh plants, esp. for front of house.
good luck!

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If there are any other siblings to SIL please involve them as much as possible in the disposal of Mom's property. My oldest brother decided to take care of this while Patti and I were out of the Country and he knew we were going to be out of the Country. We got home and found out he had disposed of all of Mom's property - Curb side for people to take, Goodwill, and dump. Even though we lived less than 30 minutes from Mom I had not taken everything I wanted to give my brothers a chance.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Prior of disposing or giving away anything check for hidden money and jewelry. My grandmother had things hidden sewn in blankets, skirt hems, rice bags......

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
My step-mother with Alzheimer took her savings $30K out of the bank and hid it somewhere in the house, then forgot about it. Later we moved her to memory care and sold the house. We never did find the missing money, but we found a lot of other things in strange places. We figured she made her care-giver or door-to-door salesman very happy.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My step-mother with Alzheimer took her savings $30K out of the bank and hid it somewhere in the house, then forgot about it. Later we moved her to memory care and sold the house. We never did find the missing money, but we found a lot of other things in strange places. We figured she made her care-giver or door-to-door salesman very happy.
The IRS too probably. I had a client this year took $77K out of 401k then had a stroke, forgot what he did with it. It made his SS taxable, ended up owing $15K federal and State.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also went through this, and my parents were only 2 miles away. My one caveat is to make sure that the “correct person” can sign when it comes time to transfer the house to a buyer.

My parents‘ house title was in a trust, of which I am a trustee. I mentioned this to the seller‘s agent, but she really didn’t think much about it, (I think what she thought about was her commission… ) and 24 hours before the closing, the title company sent someone to see my mother in a memory care unit and have her sign the paperwork because for some reason me being a trustee didn’t count… Which makes no sense at all…

I felt this was really a case of the agent dropping the ball, This should have been handled weeks prior to that…and because my mother was pretty feisty, basically the title company had to stretch the truth to get her to sign those papers.

If you’re 800 miles away, you don’t want to be dealing with this at the last minute.

I agree with looking for jewelry also. We never did find several items of my mom‘s jewelry… Maybe somebody got a really nice present from Goodwill at some point. LOL.

Reaction score
I know I harp on it a lot, but there is "sense to my madness". In addition to moving her to the new area, she will need to sign up for a new Medicare Advantage (or Supplement) plan. I am currently not licensed in Michigan, but I can be if you want me to help on that part. If someone has Power Of Attorney, I can speak (or e-mail/instant message) with them, the person will need to furnish a form if asked. All Medicare beneficiaries can switch plans one month before the move, month of the move, and the month after the move.

TS

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I don’t know if this was mentioned, but there are different types of power of attorneys. And it can make a difference from state to state. There is a health care power of attorney and then the other kind...where one gets to make financial and real estate decisions for the person in question. I had to redo both when my mom came to live with us...she lived in a different state.

Also, if dealing with siblings, all communications should be done in writing, not verbal. You may think a sibling is on board, but at the end they get amnesia....”I never said that”. Been there.....no help at all with anything but first at the door with their hand out when the end comes. Don’t mean to sound ghoulish, but I speak from experience. I devoted 3 years of my life to caring for my mom....I felt and looked like I aged 10 years. The best decision they can make is the assisted living/continuing care option. My mom didn’t have dementia issues until she was close to the end of her life, but she was an extremely needy woman and very particular about everything.

Also there are companies that will come in and buy most of the home contents. It’s maybe 10 cents on a dollar, or more or less, but after sorting out family heirlooms and the like, this is the easiest and quickest way to go. And getting a dumpster ASAP too. If the house has been empty, you’d be surprised at what can find its way into a house and rally do a number on things.

I wish your SIL’s family patience and good luck.