• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Most Effective means of "renting out" MVC reservations made with points? We have four reservations to rent.

SRTopDog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have made four reservations and are wondering how to best go about listing them/posting them to recoup money for them? We made them to be able to rent out the reservations and help pay for our Maint Fees....

[Resort specifics removed to prevent this from becoming a de facto ad.]

Any best place, with good ROI, traffic, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:

SRTopDog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did do a search on this topic but didn't find anything really useful. However, I did notice that the listings on here are free for some "specific category of member". Any insight as to their effectiveness in generating interested parties and how to qualify as a member that can list for free would be greatly appreciated.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My wife and I have made four reservations and are wondering how to best go about listing them/posting them to recoup money for them? We made them to be able to rent out the reservations and help pay for our Maint Fees....

[Resort specifics removed to prevent this from becoming a de facto ad.]

Any best place, with good ROI, traffic, etc....

You can post rental ads on the TUG Marketplace for free and list them on Redweek.com for fee (annual membership plus cost to post each ad.) Review current listings for your resort(s) as well as asking prices. Note that the prices listed are only asking prices, but they will give you an idea of the market. Monitor the activity over time and adjust your asking price as appropriate. Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Ppl also use VRBO/AirBnB.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Is it possible to just cancel the reservations and rent out the points? Seems like that might be easier.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't really thought of doing it that way? What are the pros and cons of each way?

It's a heck of lot easier to rent the points and let them make their own reservations for exactly what THEY want (time wise and location wise). You will get somewhere around 60 to 69 cents per point. Just do the math to see if it works out.

Check out the website below for further and see if it may work for you.

www.VacationPointExchange.com

Best of luck!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't really thought of doing it that way? What are the pros and cons of each way?

Just FYI you can’t rent points that have been banked- they are non transferable.
If your points have been banked you would need to rent the stay.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
It's a heck of lot easier to rent the points and let them make their own reservations for exactly what THEY want (time wise and location wise).

Out of curiosity, when a non-owner rents points from an owner and tries to make a reservation, do they have lower priority than an owner?
I ask this because it seems to me that someone may THINK they can make a reservation anywhere and any time they want, but reality is there are only so many units available.
So wouldn't it be more likely that a prospective renter would want the owner to check availability for them before they rent the points?
I'm a weeks owner so I have no idea how the availability check works, but I am assuming you either need to be an owner or have the points in hand first.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Out of curiosity, when a non-owner rents points from an owner and tries to make a reservation, do they have lower priority than an owner?
I ask this because it seems to me that someone may THINK they can make a reservation anywhere and any time they want, but reality is there are only so many units available.
So wouldn't it be more likely that a prospective renter would want the owner to check availability for them before they rent the points?
I'm a weeks owner so I have no idea how the availability check works, but I am assuming you either need to be an owner or have the points in hand first.
You have to have a DC account (either own Trust points or have an enrolled week) to make your own ressie. If you don’t have an account, you have to have the renter make a ressie for you.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Consider VacationCandy.com if you decide to rent.
VacationCandy just rented my Waiohai week - via my Redweek ad. That was weird.
With Redweek full service, you don't discover the name of the renter until the agreement is signed by both parties.
I mean, the name on the reservation is a regular name but the rental agreement is signed by the rental crew at Vacation Candy.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Sidestepping the thread a bit...

Redweek generally has listings for Hawaii, at least Maui, that are $500 to $1000 under VC. If someone contacts VC for a week and they don't have it, they will shop Redweek to fill it...and mark it up to their market rate, at least enough to cover their $500/10% commission. With exception of late rentals, I generally do better or net the same than if I used Redweek; and VC customer service is great. That said, if you have week that can be differentiated from all the others, Redweek is probably better as you can list the differences, e.g., guaranteed floor.

I tend to track VC, Redweek and VRBO to see what asking is for a given week and it obviously varies by remaining time before check-in.

What never ceases to amaze me are the folks that rent on VRBO, via VC. They pay the full VC rate, plus the VRBO service charge, when they could just go straight to VC. With all the fees the cost can easily be $1000 more than my net on VC or Redweek pricing. And don't get me started on having to pay the 15% Hawaii tax hit out of the net, if playing by the rules.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Vacation Candy takes Redweek listings, marks them up, and relists them on VRBO, without telling the owner of the listing.

I rent out a few weeks, and noticed that as soon as I list a week for rent on Redweek, it appears within a day or so on Vacation Candy / VRBO, with their markup.

ThomasWentz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Purchase in Progress!
I noticed this when I was searching for a rental unit. A "NEW" listing popped up on Redweek (which I emailed about) and less than 24 hours later the same dates were available on VRBO when they hadn't been in the past... but the price was 25% higher before fees.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Vacation Candy takes Redweek listings, marks them up, and relists them on VRBO, without telling the owner of the listing.

I rent out a few weeks, and noticed that as soon as I list a week for rent on Redweek, it appears within a day or so on Vacation Candy / VRBO, with their markup.

Okay, so the thing I don't get about that is (and sorry for having hijacked the thread):
Let's say the person who ultimately rents out the week (VC's client) disputes because: a) they are troublemakers b) VC posted incorrect info on their listing c) something else.

Is this ultimately a dispute between VC and the renter? In other words, is the owner usually protected in this case because VC doesn't want to open a dispute with the owner. I mean, they sublet the week without notifying the owner, which many rental agreements prohibit to begin with.

At first I was not happy that VC had rented my week and sublet it, but now I kind of see them as a buffer against a dispute. Thoughts?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
So isn’t VC kinda acting like Ticketmaster or any 3rd party ticket scalper? Do they specialize in “hard to find” in demand weeks ie. presidents week or event weeks in locations?

I’ve had good luck renting weeks out using Redweek and TUG. My wife has also posted on various boards on FB and gotten interest there.

I think the key is having a decent “higher demand” week to rent out. Of course using points you can find these weeks/ locations but you are competing against owners who own these weeks.

I keep a spreadsheet of my weeks owned, the season and possible rental weeks for the upcoming year (form the owners rental week calendar on My Vacation Club) including earliest and latest check in dates and cross reference that to the Interval Int’l Demand tables for the resort. I then call MVC and find out the 1st date I can call to reserve that week.

Any other strategies you use to maximize your rental returns vs maintenance fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk