• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Most convenient for Disney?

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of exchanging (through RCI) for a week near Disney in Florida in late May/early June and am wondering which resort might be best.

What I am looking for:
I will be travelling solo so family/kids activities aren't needed.
I won't be going to a park every day so a nice pool/amenities would be a plus
I would prefer not to have to pay a high resort fee as I am on a budget (but would be willing to pay if it was truly worth it)
Not planning on renting a car so shuttle service etc. to Disney would be a plus. I will use uber if necessary but the easier transportation the better.
It would be a definite plus if you could walk from the resort to Disney Springs or at least to some shops/restaurants
I don't have loads of TPU left so the less the better

So far, I am thinking Blue Tree might be best? Or maybe Orange Lakes?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not planning on renting a car so shuttle service etc. to Disney would be a plus.
This isn't reasonable at any non-Disney timeshare. Plan on uber/lyft. If you can, rent a car; it will make a big difference.

Vacation Village @ Parkway often comes in inexpensively, though I'd want a unit with a full kitchen. Nothing much is walkable from there but it's a reasonably nice setup. If you can get a last-minute discounted Vistana week, that would be better, but farther out it can be spendy in terms of TPU.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
This isn't reasonable at any non-Disney timeshare. Plan on uber/lyft. If you can, rent a car; it will make a big difference.

Vacation Village @ Parkway often comes in inexpensively, though I'd want a unit with a full kitchen. Nothing much is walkable from there but it's a reasonably nice setup. If you can get a last-minute discounted Vistana week, that would be better, but farther out it can be spendy in terms of TPU.

Thanks, definitely don't want to rent a car though. I would like to have some stuff (restaurants, stores etc.) close enough to walk to. TPUs aren't a major concern as long as it isn't too high (i.e. up to low twenties is okay). It would just be nice to have to use less.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I think most of the resorts around WDW have some sort of shuttle service to the parks, but you need to investigate them carefully because they may only run at limited times, require reservations, drop you off at the TTC only and require you to make your way to other parks via Disney transportation, etc.

Blue Tree is close to a number of restaurants including Giordano’s (popular pizza place), but it would be a very long walk to DS - about 2 miles to the closest pedestrian entrance at Hotel Plaza Blvd. and East Buena Vista Drive. We’ve enjoyed stays at Blue Tree and at Cypress Pointe across the street, but we’ve always had a car. I think Cypress Pointe had a nicer pool, but we’re not swimmers so I’m not sure.

I don’t think Orange Lake is walkable to Disney, and it may not even be walkable to the new Flamingo Crossings development at 429 and Western Way, where there are a number of hotels, stores and restaurants (not to mention the apartment complexes Disney built for the College Program).

The only TS close to WDW I can think of that might be walkable to restaurants would be Silver Lake, which sits just outside WDW property literally around the corner from Animal Kingdom and a short distance from 192 with its plethora of eating places. But I’m not sure of safety in terms of sidewalks, since again we’ve always had a car when we stayed there!

Even Bonnet Creek, which is inside the Disney bubble, isn’t walkable to anything outside the Bonnet Creek development because there are no sidewalks.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I’ve walked from cypress pointe with a stroller. About 30 minutes. Most of walk is down Hotel blvd towards Disney springs. Pedestrian friendly.
There are 2 Rci codes-older 3 stories, no elevators with volcano pool and newer high rise bldgs also with good pools. You can use all pools.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think most of the resorts around WDW have some sort of shuttle service to the parks, but you need to investigate them carefully because they may only run at limited times, require reservations, drop you off at the TTC only and require you to make your way to other parks via Disney transportation, etc.

Blue Tree is close to a number of restaurants including Giordano’s (popular pizza place), but it would be a very long walk to DS - about 2 miles to the closest pedestrian entrance at Hotel Plaza Blvd. and East Buena Vista Drive. We’ve enjoyed stays at Blue Tree and at Cypress Pointe across the street, but we’ve always had a car. I think Cypress Pointe had a nicer pool, but we’re not swimmers so I’m not sure.

I don’t think Orange Lake is walkable to Disney, and it may not even be walkable to the new Flamingo Crossings development at 429 and Western Way, where there are a number of hotels, stores and restaurants (not to mention the apartment complexes Disney built for the College Program).

The only TS close to WDW I can think of that might be walkable to restaurants would be Silver Lake, which sits just outside WDW property literally around the corner from Animal Kingdom and a short distance from 192 with its plethora of eating places. But I’m not sure of safety in terms of sidewalks, since again we’ve always had a car when we stayed there!

Even Bonnet Creek, which is inside the Disney bubble, isn’t walkable to anything outside the Bonnet Creek development because there are no sidewalks.
Nothing is really walkable to Disney unless you can enter through Hotel Plaza Blvd in Lake Buena Vista near Disney Springs. There are no sidewalks at any of the other entrances. Those other entrances are all multi-lane roads, more like highway. It is either a shuttle, rideshare or rental car.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much!

Definitely not renting a car but I am okay with getting an uber to go to/from parks but don't want to be completely reliant on that for everything. So some stores/restaurants in easy reach would be good. Sounds like Cypress Pointe and Blue Tree would work. I could use uber to get to parks but if I wanted to Disney Springs and chain restaurants sound walkable. I did see availability for Blue Tree for the date I need so I may go ahead and book that (unless someone knows a good reason not to).

It is really annoying as I keep seeing DVC pop up but I didn't realize there is a chance of getting it and so I used a bunch of my TPU for something else earlier this week and now I don't have enough left. Too bad - we really enjoyed Saratoga Springs last time we went.

Last edited:

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can still find Disney timeshares in RCI occasionally, although the well is running dry as they are moving to II. If you look every day at DVC resorts and have some flexibility you may find something.

The closest timeshares to Disney are Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Silver Lake. Bonnet Creek is a challenge to get these days. You may take a look at extra vacations to see if there is something reasonable in there.

Silver Lake is very close to Animal Kingdom on the edge of Disney property.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did see availability for Blue Tree for the date I need so I may go ahead and book that
We have stayed at Blue Tree two or three times and found it clean and comfortable although not fancy. It reminds me of a 1980s apartment house complex. We would stay there again, especially if we planned to spend time at both the Disney and Universal parks. Getting to Universal from there is a more or less straight shot up Palm Parkway and Turkey Lake Rd. and allows us to avoid I-4, which we hate to drive on. And as above, there are sidewalks from there to Disney Springs, making it accessible to many restaurants in between.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I would try for HGVC Tuscany Village if available your dates. Not too far to Disney via Lyft (has a deal with Disney - better drop locations), not sure about shuttles. You have Premium Outlets through a private gate. A few good restaurants (Ford's Garage, Outback, Cheesecake Factory) and lots of fast options a shortish walk, many more a short uber. Publix and Walgreens right across the street. Have never stayed here, but have an OGS for DD who is heading down in October as it is a great location.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone. Really appreciate it.

I have looked at the HGVC properties - they seem very nice but not sure I want to pay the extra resort fee (also TPU pretty high and I would have to combine TPU for it).

Most likely will go for Blue Tree - I do like the fact you could walk if you had to. I don't like the feeling of not being able to get anywhere without an uber etc. I may wait a bit though to see if I can snag DVC after all - would of course be my first choice.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, keep you eye on RCI weeks, you may be lucky to find the needle in the haystack and get an LM exchagne for low TPUs. There was one yesterday for late April, 12 TPUs at Old Key West. Staying on property would certainly be most convienant and no need to worry about transportation.

I just returned from a quick stay at Vacation Villages at Parkway. The price was right for the 3 nights I needed - 4TPUs and discounted exchange fee. I recall them mentioning they had a shuttle to grocery (Pulbix) and the parks. But, I didn't utilize so I can't comment on reliablity or how hard it was to get. The resort is huge and if you get a unit in one of the front building close tot he street you could certainly walk to a few stores/food options.

As for your resort days, they did have lots of pools (but wow, never experienced seat savings in Orllando like I did there) and a handful of organized activities. I wrote a full review for TUG that you can check out.

The only other RCI resort I have ever stayed in was Orange Lake and that was fine. Keep your eye out for Sheraton Vistana Resort too.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only other RCI resort I have ever stayed in was Orange Lake and that was fine. Keep your eye out for Sheraton Vistana Resort too.
@mdurette I have a question about exchanging into Sheraton Vistana if you don't mind. When I was looking last night there were 2 different listings in RCI, Sheraton Vistana, & Sheraton Vistana fountains, and a separate listing in II.

Are they all the same exchange-wise as far as location goes?
Meaning street addresses and just different locations within the resort.

I have a DVC studio booked in the fall but extended family maybe coming in to visit...looking for a close location in a nice resort to put them.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'all keep mentioning blue tree-

Which one? When I look here on tug reviews the search brings up 2 different resorts at the same location? Is one side better than the other as far as exchanging goes?

Blue Tree Resort at Lake Buena Vista
12007 Cypress Run Road

Orlando FL 32836
407-238-6000

Westgate Blue Tree Resort
12007 Cypress Run Road

Orlando FL 32836
407-597-2200

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
@mdurette I have a question about exchanging into Sheraton Vistana if you don't mind. When I was looking last night there were 2 different listings in RCI, Sheraton Vistana, & Sheraton Vistana fountains, and a separate listing in II.

I have a DVC studio booked in the fall but extended family maybe coming in to visit...looking for a close location in a nice resort to put them.

These 2 in RCI are the same resort:
1680437925221.png

In II, you can find the above resort and also Sheraton Vistana Villages, which is a completely different one.

Also note, rare but sometimes you can find Marriott Cypress Harbor or the Marriott Royal or Sable in RCI.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
rry about transportation.

I just returned from a quick stay at Vacation Villages at Parkway. The price was right for the 3 nights I needed - 4TPUs and discounted exchange fee. I recall them mentioning they had a shuttle to grocery (Pulbix) and the parks. But, I didn't utilize so I can't comment on reliablity or how hard it was to get. The resort is huge and if you get a unit in one of the front building close tot he street you could certainly walk to a few stores/food options.

Thanks! Yes, I did see the 12 TPU yesterday so I am keeping my fingers crossed and holding off on Blue Tree for now. It being Orlando I can probably get something decent closer to the date if DVC does not work out (if not I could always get a hotel room instead). We did stay at Saratoga Springs last time and enjoyed it a lot.

And I think everyone is right - if it isn't DVC I will need to use uber etc. anyway so in the end it doesn't matter if it is a tiny bit closer or not.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Y'all keep mentioning blue tree-

Which one? When I look here on tug reviews the search brings up 2 different resorts at the same location? Is one side better than the other as far as exchanging goes?

Blue Tree Resort at Lake Buena Vista
12007 Cypress Run Road

Orlando FL 32836
407-238-6000

Westgate Blue Tree Resort
12007 Cypress Run Road

Orlando FL 32836
407-597-2200
They’re in the same location but operated separately. We’ve only stayed in the non-Westgate resort, so I don’t know if the units are better or worse. As I said above, they were fine for us, clean and comfortable. Some of the 2BR have in-room laundry, some don’t, and you have to call to request that if you want it.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
They’re in the same location but operated separately. We’ve only stayed in the non-Westgate resort, so I don’t know if the units are better or worse. As I said above, they were fine for us, clean and comfortable. Some of the 2BR have in-room laundry, some don’t, and you have to call to request that if you want it.
Lol - that’s what I figured at all costs avoid Westgate

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)

Yes they are the same resort, but they had different exchange programs with RCI in the early days. Not as much now as Fountains is available in the main listing, and I have heard of people booking through Fountains and getting other sections. The one thing to note is that the Fountains listing only has 2BR villas (that is all Fountains has) whereas the main listing has 1 and 2BR. The main resort also generally shows more availability as it's a large resort with many sections.

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NONE! Looking for a good trader to purchase.
Following this thread (and other similar ones) closely as we're in the early planning stages of a first Disney trip (family of 5). I was looking at some of the DVC units on Redweek (DVC has the easiest transit into the parks but we're looking at all timeshare options) and there really wasn't anything other than studio units for rent that sleep 4 or 5. I could have sworn I see posts on TUG about 1BR and 2BR weeks coming up for exchange.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Following this thread (and other similar ones) closely as we're in the early planning stages of a first Disney trip (family of 5). I was looking at some of the DVC units on Redweek (DVC has the easiest transit into the parks but we're looking at all timeshare options) and there really wasn't anything other than studio units for rent that sleep 4 or 5. I could have sworn I see posts on TUG about 1BR and 2BR weeks coming up for exchange.
1BR units are probably the most common in In Interval. The odd 2BR and studio do popup also, but not as often.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Studio villas are the ones most in demand by both owners and renters so are the ones most often set out for rent via RedWeek or any of the many DVC rental sites. If I had extra points I wanted to rent, or if I had to cancel my reservation several months out, I’d book a studio for a popular weekend because it’s most likely to rent quickly and for a good price. Conversely, the 1BR villas are most likely to come up for exchange via RCI/II because they are the least popular with owners, so DVC can take them out of the pool without owners even noticing any lack of availability.

If you’d really prefer a 1- or 2BR villa, you might check the DISboards DVC Rent-Transfer forum https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-transfer.29/ or one of the DVC rental sites where you can arrange to rent what you want rather than hoping to find it on a speculative site such as RedWeek.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The issue with DVC 1BR units is that they tend to cost double the amount of points for the same or lower occupancy. Some 1BR units only sleep 4 while studios often sleep 5. The point system means that people want to optimize their points by booking the smallest unit they can for the number of people. DVC goers don't tend to value extra space as much as other timeshare owners do because they are comparing their accomodation to staying in a Disney moderate or Deluxe hotel room.