• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moretti v. The Hertz Corp Class Action

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
In the mail today is a notice that Hertz owes me $1092 for 42 days of car rental in Mexico because of a class action settlement. I'm just now looking into this and wondered if any of you recieved this too.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Received 2 Postcards about this lawsuit.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Received 2 Postcards about this lawsuit.

Same here. Both are 21 day rentals. I think one is Thrifty and one is Hertz. I just started researching this. It looks legit but we have until Nov 23 2021.

Here is the link from the post card.

Bill

https://mexicocarrentalsettlement.com/

• The notice concerns a bankruptcy proceeding involving the companies the Hertz Corporation and Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc. (collectively “Hertz DTAG”), which offered rental cars for pick up in Mexico.
  • This class action settlement will resolve a lawsuit against Hertz DTAG and will affect all persons who, in the U.S., reserved online and rented a Hertz, Dollar, or Thrifty rental car with pick up in Mexico between May 24, 2009 and December 31, 2018 (the “Class”).
  • In 2013, litigation was filed against Hertz DTAG and Hotwire, Inc. (“Hotwire”) on behalf of the Class. The lawsuit alleged that Hertz DTAG advertised the cost of renting a car in Mexico without advising customers of alleged mandatory insurance for Mexico-based rentals. The lawsuit also alleged that customers were charged an inflated exchange rate when converting U.S. dollars to the Mexican peso. Hertz DTAG denies the allegations and denies all liability.
  • After Hertz DTAG filed for bankruptcy on May 22, 2020, the purchaser who started and pursued the lawsuit (“Plaintiff”) filed a claim in the bankruptcy case on behalf of a purported class.
  • An agreement has been reached between the Plaintiff and Hertz DTAG. It allows a general unsecured nonpriority claim against The Hertz Corporation in the aggregate amount of $20,000,000 to the class.
  • Each Class member who files a claim will receive a refund of $26 per day for his or her completed Hertz, Dollar or Thrifty car rental in Mexico between May 24, 2009 and December 31, 2018 (the “Class Period”). The claim must be verified by rental records produced by Hertz DTAG and its Mexican licensees during the course of the litigation. If fewer claims are submitted than expected, the refunded amount for each day’s rental may be more than $26. If more claims are submitted than expected, the refunded amount for each day’s rental may be less than $26.
  • Plaintiff and his lawyers who brought the lawsuit will ask the Court to reimburse them for their out-of-pocket expenses, attorneys’ fees and bankruptcy-related financial advisor fees of approximately $8,739,661.73, and $75,000 in incentive awards. These amounts will be paid out of the $20 million to be distributed to the Class.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received 3 postcards. We filled them out and sent them back. One was for 46 days, one for 23 days and one for 9 days. Hey whatever we get is found money!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you didn't have to provide too much personal information. You have to worry about SCAMS and identity theft when dealing with anyone (especially from a foreign Country).

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We were notified too due to a week's rental in Cabo. DH did a little checking against our rental receipt and everything matched to the postcard. He sent it back. There wasn't any more info we had to provide than what was already in the postcard or what refund org'n already had.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used the link at the website and requested a check last Friday. Maybe something comes of it , maybe not. We will see.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope you didn't have to provide too much personal information. You have to worry about SCAMS and identity theft when dealing with anyone (especially from a foreign Country).

On the postcards they sent they have a claim id and confirmation code that can be mailed in via the pre-paid postcard. If you use the postcard your name , email address , user name and phone number are noticeable depending on the payment option. Online you input the claim id and confirmation code and all your information comes up. You atest to a couple of questions and submit the claim. Pretty easy.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have my fingers crossed and still waiting for a check. I probably should have used paypal.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The check arrived. Not quite $800 but enough for a mf. :) I had thought it would have been over $1000 but I'm fine with the $792.

Bill

Last edited:

Ima Timesharer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiesta Americana
In the mail today is a notice that Hertz owes me $1092 for 42 days of car rental in Mexico because of a class action settlement. I'm just now looking into this and wondered if any of you recieved this too.

Bill
I filled out the form a few months ago and just got a check for $193 related to a couple of short rentals a few years ago.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We got a check too last week for $113 for a one week rental. Nice.