• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Wyndham resale points vs different company for overseas travel

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'm starting to plan overseas travel to start occurring within the next 2 years. I'm in the process of doing a cost analysis of lodging costs (timeshare vs non-timeshare) in order to determine if re-sale points is a better option than booking a hotel/resort direct. I am a Wyndham "owner" but am more than open to considering other corporate entities to purchase from. Should I determine it cost feasible to purchase resale points, does anyone have an opinion on other companies that are better to work with than Wyndham? My end game is to sell the points within 6 years.

Travel to: UK, Australia, Italy, France Germany, Hawaii.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I don't think you can come up with a figure period, let alone an accurate figure, because you have no idea of what you will have to pay to buy the resale points. what the maintenance fees will be on those points over the period of time you are talking about and you don't know if you will come out ahead or behind when you go to sell them in 6 years.

For foreign travel you would be better off to find something with low maintenance fees in RCI points. Many of us find Grandview Las Vegas in the two higher point weeks to be a great option. You can usually find a 98,000 point two bedroom week or a 49,000 point one bedroom week being offered for not much money. Yes you could buy Wyndham points and deposit them into RCI to get stays in Europe but it would be cheaper just to own RCI points and do it. And I think you would find a better selection of what is available. BTW there are also higher and lower point weeks in those unit sizes but the higher weeks you are going to pay more to buy and the lower point weeks aren't a good value because the maintenance fees are based on the unit size so it doesn't matter if your week is a peak week or a value season week and the number of points you get for it.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think there is an ideal timeshare type company that is particularly good for the European locations you are looking for. While there are timeshares in those countries the majority are in quiet out of the way places in the country, in the mountains and possibly by the sea shores. Unless you are looking for a week of off the beaten path in those countries you would do better with hotels and HomeAway/AirBnB type rentals.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
If you go the RCI route, Twin Rivers lodge has low MF. It was less then $600 for 2018. The trading power is not as high though. If you want higher trading power (to give to better resorts or more weeks), you’ll have to buy a resort in a popular tourist area, during a prime week. I have New Years week at Vacation villages at Parkway in Orlando, that has a max trading power of 69. My Williamsburg plantation has a max trading power of 44 points the believe. That one is in March.

Diamond resorts has resorts all over the world, but if you buy them resale, you can only exchange within your “Collection”. So if you buy the Hawaiian collection, you cannot use it in the US collection. Apparently, California has its own collection. Other resort systems have restrictions on resale. I think Wyndham’s restrictions are not as bad as others. Especially since you can use them at all the Club Wyndham resorts and RCI. Unfortunately, RCI is a $239 booking fee whether it’s through Wyndham, or your using a weeks deposit to make a reservation.