• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Montecristo at Pueblo Bonito questions

macnewbie

Reaction score
We are currently staying at Pueblo Bonito Sunset and attended the presentation. We know the cardinal rule is to never buy from the developer and in fact the couple TS we own came to us through inheritance and in resale.

However, the deal we have sitting on our dinner table to consider has us thinking as it is structured differently from the traditional contract (or at least new to us) - would love some help identifying the problem areas or the blind spots we might later regret:

Relevant facts - please let me know what else is required to provide some advice:
1. RTU, 100 years
2. Points based 300 "universal" points + 300 "platinum" points, which are enough for a Montecristo week in weeks 1-50, or several lower grade (but still quite nice) accommodations within the Pueblo Bonito system.
3. MF is only required once every 5 years (the "refurbish" maintenance fee), otherwise you pay if you use/bank the points in a given year. Amount is ~$5/pt
4. Montecristo itself does not trade into RCI, but the points can be used to book other Pueblo Bonito units that can be banked into RCI
5. Montecristo trades pretty well into Registry Collection
6. MF increases pegged to CPI

I see a handful of low-dollar Montecristo sales on eBay, but most of those are fixed week + mandatory maintenance fees. I also see some resale offers on redweek etc but most of them are fixed week too. The only resale I found in the points system like we are being offered is well below the Montecristo "list" price ($90k) but higher than what we are being offered by the PB sales team. link

What are the areas of this offer that I am not thinking about?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Montecristo timeshares are given away on TUG in the Bargain Deals Forum, and you can often rent there for less than the maintenance fee.

The developer perks do not justify paying the developer's price, when you can get one for free.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thoughts & feedback

Booking window in advance of your stay is KEY in getting a stay in peak season

This is true for EVERY TS system . I do not own or know PB but all the points in the world won't get PEAK season if you can only book 45 days out and other owners can book 6 months or a year plus out .

Last week I met an existing Mayan owner( recently retired) who wants to be in PV for part of every Feb and only her registered week with a 6 month booking window works for Feb ( do to demand ) she paid money to upgrade her contract and get more 6 month bookable weeks - since her other existing (bonus ) week(s) was only bookable 45 days out .( generally good for May -June and Sept - Dec )

Buying from a developer to trade in RCI probably is not good value since lots of TS can be bought on eBay cheaply simply for trading .
There are TUG members who own the Grandview Las Vegas solely because it has a low MF for the RCI points you get . Some may never have visited the resort or Las Vegas . But If you go that route for a " trader " make sure it is a Grandview already in RCI Points - as some on eBay are fixed / floating but not points - so of very little value as a trader compared to one that is already in RCI points.

For more on that there are TUG experts - who OWN this for exchanging , I have just learned about this concept by reading TUG .

Last edited:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems to me I saw a week on the TUG bargain forum just about 1 week ago. Look there and u can get a free week if it's still available.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha...this is an outstanding post!

not only did the OP

1. not move forward with paying an inflated retail price for a Timeshare they wanted
2. discover the same timeshare being offered for free right here on TUG

this is literally my dream for everyone who is interested in a Timeshare that discovers TUG!

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ha...this is an outstanding post!

not only did the OP

1. not move forward with paying an inflated retail price for a Timeshare they wanted
2. discover the same timeshare being offered for free right here on TUG

this is literally my dream for everyone who is interested in a Timeshare that discovers TUG!

Brian, your Dad is smiling about how well you are following his vision.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. Found the thread in the bargain forum and am in touch with the person who posted it.

I also expressed interest in that posting (Free). The Montecristo owner seems to be giving the timeshare back to Montecristo Estates (deed back) and maybe avoid paying this year's maintenance fee. So, keep your hopes of getting that one for free low. However, another one will come along.

macnewbie

Reaction score
Yes we've talked about that. I would not mind paying this years fee even though we just came back. What I do want though is the ability to convert the ownership to the points based system as I find the optional maintenance attractive. Are there other systems that offer that?