• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Monarch 2016-19 4-Year Special Assessment/Refurbishment, etc [Update]

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
The Monarch Owners website and been a good source of communications between the owners and the BOD. I was disappointed to find out about structural changes to the unit that was not communicated. I reached out to the BOD to understand what is going on and asking them to communicate it to the owners. The leaky windows were not a surprise. The assessment was in part to replace them. The door replacement was not a surprise, my understanding was they need not meet safety codes changes that are now in effect. This should have been straight forward so if it is not or owner information is confusing, it is a BOD issue.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
monarch 4 weeks 16,17,18 and 19
The Monarch Owners website and been a good source of communications between the owners and the BOD. I was disappointed to find out about structural changes to the unit that was not communicated. I reached out to the BOD to understand what is going on and asking them to communicate it to the owners. The leaky windows were not a surprise. The assessment was in part to replace them. The door replacement was not a surprise, my understanding was they need not meet safety codes changes that are now in effect. This should have been straight forward so if it is not or owner information is confusing, it is a BOD issue.
You stated that the leaky windows were not a surprise, what about replacing them with wall?

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You stated that the leaky windows were not a surprise, what about replacing them with wall?
also did you know to substantially change the original plans and specifications of condominium property requires a 75% vote of owners according to Master Deed mentioned in By-laws?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,

I am not sure I understand how you might want to replace almost full length windows and sliding glass doors to the patio with walls but if you are, what follows is my answer.

I would rather pay a one time sliding scale assessment based on season where summer pays the most (say 300) and winter the least (say 100) to keep the same glass exposure than replace with a wall that reduces my MF 75%. The only reason for suggesting the sliding scale is in fairness of the "value" of the week.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was given a silver week 5 at Monarch. Notice the past tense. I used it once and hated it and not because of the weather, because that was glorious. I hated the resort's room layout. I thought it was dark, I thought the furniture was small, I thought the rooms were small, I hated the guest bedroom with two lumpy single beds. I didn't like the place in general. I know Monarch owners love their timeshare but it simply was not for me. I finally gave my week 5 away here on Tug. I'm sorry, this was the only MVCI resort to which I swore I would never return.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am one that enjoys the Monarch. I have no desire to change anyones mind because it doesn't matter to me. I have no issue with anyone disliking the Monarch for whatever reasons (decor, layout, age. etc) they want. There is no question the Monarch has the smallest unit footprint of all the Marriott oceanfront resorts. The one issue I have is unit size as if all the other Oceanfront resorts offer huge mansions in comparison. Let's quantify each Marriott Oceanfront 2 bedroom resort square footage. I know we are now in a world of alternate facts but facts are still facts.

I did this a number of years ago when my friend purchased at the Surfwatch for 40% more than the second unit I purchased at the Monarch and he tried to convince me his 2 BR was 40% bigger. Some of that was fun arguing between friends but we did get the numbers. Just as an FYI, I verified this again just before this post with each of the front desks and the numbers still match... smallest to largest.

Monarch - 1200sf
Surfwatch - 1275sf (6.3% bigger)
Baroney - 1300sf (8.3 % bigger)
Grand Ocean -1380sf (15% bigger).

Unless there is a conspiracy by each of the front desks, can we take the numbers at face value. Also, since they are all Marriott's can we for discussion purposes say it was calculated in a consistent way.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not telling you not to love your resort. I said it is not for me. The rooms feel small to me. Maybe it is how they are laid out. I am not set on beachfront either. I like the other Hilton Head Marriotts as well, even the ones facing the inlets.I love my Disney Vacation Club Hilton Head resort too. It is probably smaller than the Monarch but the rooms seem to flow better but only in my opinion

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with anyone if they love one HHI Marriott over another because we own at the Harbour Pointe, Monarch and the GO and we love them all for their own special reason.

If you forced me to choose one it would have to be the Grande Ocean considering all things, location, best views resort, best gym, the best pools.

However the Monarch with it's location in Sea Pines is super close for me and if I i had view unit like 1040z it would be a flip of a coin.

And PP mentions the Marriott resorts on the Cove. We have unit 312 at the HP which is one of the nicest view units there and we absolutely love it.

I've never stayed at the Barony or the Surfwatch but i bet those are equally special so there are many great options on HHI.

I'm just glad we discovered them 12 years ago and now they will always be part of our travel plans forever.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not telling you not to love your resort. I said it is not for me. The rooms feel small to me. Maybe it is how they are laid out. I am not set on beachfront either. I like the other Hilton Head Marriotts as well, even the ones facing the inlets.I love my Disney Vacation Club Hilton Head resort too. It is probably smaller than the Monarch but the rooms seem to flow better but only in my opinion

I am probably sounding more jerkish than I mean to be because I truely have no issue with anyone's assessment of the Monarch. Please no need to explain. The proximity to the ocean, being on Sea Pines, the exterior design and the Timeshare size have a lot to do with my enjoyment of the Monarch. My oceanfront unit helps also. We had many nice HHI vacations and really enjoy HHI. This being said, from the beginning the Monarch was a means to an end. Reward Points early on funded a three week European trip. The last 5 year rentals funded Barcelona, Punta Cana, Aruba for my kids and their girl friends and others. We traded for other resorts and of course we used it. The goal from the beginning was for my kids to appreciate family vacations and have a love for traveling. My last comment on subject....[Deleted. TUG Rules do not allow ad-like comments in the public forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with anyone if they love one HHI Marriott over another because we own at the Harbour Pointe, Monarch and the GO and we love them all for their own special reason.

I'm just glad we discovered them 12 years ago and now they will always be part of our travel plans forever.
This is ultimately what it all comes down to! I am just glad we discovered Surfwatch, and Hilton Head, when our oldest was 11 months and we have been going there annually since. Each resort has its special points that endear it to some people and thats the reason Marriott has been able to sustain 8 resorts on just that little island.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure I understand how you might want to replace almost full length windows and sliding glass doors to the patio with walls but if you are, what follows is my answer.

I would rather pay a one time sliding scale assessment based on season where summer pays the most (say 300) and winter the least (say 100) to keep the same glass exposure than replace with a wall that reduces my MF 75%. The only reason for suggesting the sliding scale is in fairness of the "value" of the week.
you misunderstand my point. I am not in favor of a wall just the opposite. 10410z said he was not surprised by the boards decision to replace the leaking windows but was he surprised (or against) there decision to replace them with a wall. I thought refurbishment of a window meant another window not a wall. That was my point. However I don't favor your sliding scale theory: in for a penny in for a pound.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you misunderstand my point. I am not in favor of a wall just the opposite. 10410z said he was not surprised by the boards decision to replace the leaking windows but was he surprised (or against) there decision to replace them with a wall. I thought refurbishment of a window meant another window not a wall. That was my point. However I don't favor your sliding scale theory: in for a penny in for a pound.
all so all the weeks trade for same reward points

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

SC law doesn't allow MF's or SA's for refurbs/repairs to be assessed on a sliding scale based on seasonal demand or unit view designations. It doesn't matter if or how many owners want MVW to do it or not do it - they simply can't.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SC law doesn't allow MF's or SA's for refurbs/repairs to be assessed on a sliding scale based on seasonal demand or unit view designations. It doesn't matter if or how many owners want MVW to do it or not do it - they simply can't.

My point was really meant to stress that I am against any decrease of window area and I would pay more if I needed to if the wall was in the plans. (if the law allowed), I would even pay more than an equal share.. up to a point that is.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point was really meant to stress that I am against any decrease of window area and I would pay more if I needed to if the wall was in the plans. (if the law allowed), I would even pay more than an equal share.. up to a point that is.
With you 100%

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You seem to be so knowledgeable about the law, etc. Are you familiar with the by-laws and master deed at the monarch? Base on this info do you think the BOD as the right to replace windows with wall and straighten living room walls, a substantial change to the original plans and specifications without 75% approval of owners as stated in master deed?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You seem to be so knowledgeable about the law, etc. Are you familiar with the by-laws and master deed at the monarch? Base on this info do you think the BOD as the right to replace windows with wall and straighten living room walls, a substantial change to the original plans and specifications without 75% approval of owners as stated in master deed?
It was mentioned in another response about SC law. As far as by laws and master deed, I will assume it is part of my deed package and will look for it to read. This thread is the only place that discusses the information on the window replacement and wall. I reached out to the HOA and asked for any structural modifications be posted on the Owners website, I was told he president of the HOA will respond to my email. If true, this would be my first real issue with the HOA in 25 years. In general they have done a very good job so until it gets confirmed, I'll take it to me a misunderstanding of the facts.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was mentioned in another response about SC law. As far as by laws and master deed, I will assume it is part of my deed package and will look for it to read. This thread is the only place that discusses the information on the window replacement and wall. I reached out to the HOA and asked for any structural modifications be posted on the Owners website, I was told he president of the HOA will respond to my email. If true, this would be my first real issue with the HOA in 25 years. In general they have done a very good job so until it gets confirmed, I'll take it to me a misunderstanding of the facts.
Great hope you can find and get to read them also excellent idea with HOA. I hope they respond. I also agree with you about the last 25 years with the HOA, however I am afraid this time it is much more than misunderstanding as I as told verbally by monarch management of the planed structural changes.

Monarch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okie is correct. After reviewing the by-laws and Monarch master deed, it appears that the BOD has been negligent in completing due diligence on the powers of the BOD.
According to the master deed, structural changes are out of the realm of the BOD powers. Renovation is one thing, but structural changes will require approval by 75% or more of owners.
Article X, sec 1.1 of the Master Deed “ any reconstruction or repair must follow substantially the original plans and specifications of the condominium property unless the unit holding seventy-five (75%) or more ….vote to adopt different plans and specifications and all unit owners whose units are affected by the alterations unanimously consent.”
Furthermore, Article XI of the Master Deed states that even if amendments are made to the By-Laws or the Master Deed, no amendment may change the dimensions of the unit. The Master Deed gives exact room dimensions in Article II, section 2 for all the interior spaces.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okie is correct. After reviewing the by-laws and Monarch master deed, it appears that the BOD has been negligent in completing due diligence on the powers of the BOD.
According to the master deed, structural changes are out of the realm of the BOD powers. Renovation is one thing, but structural changes will require approval by 75% or more of owners.
Article X, sec 1.1 of the Master Deed “ any reconstruction or repair must follow substantially the original plans and specifications of the condominium property unless the unit holding seventy-five (75%) or more ….vote to adopt different plans and specifications and all unit owners whose units are affected by the alterations unanimously consent.”
Furthermore, Article XI of the Master Deed states that even if amendments are made to the By-Laws or the Master Deed, no amendment may change the dimensions of the unit. The Master Deed gives exact room dimensions in Article II, section 2 for all the interior spaces.

As mentioned I sent (June 3) an email asking for an update on any structural changes going on at the Monarch. I was told the President of the Board will get back to me on my concerns I decided to follow it up on when I could expect a response and added the information on the 75% approval. I did get an email letting me know that the liaison will stay on top of it until I get a response. She also added I did want to point out, however, that the requirement of 75% (or more) owner approval is a mis-reading of our governance documents. That reference, from Article X of our Master Deed, specifically refers to restoring the property after a casualty, which isn’t applicable in current circumstances.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean anything other than a clarification to the Article Information above.

sudiski

TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned I sent (June 3) an email asking for an update on any structural changes going on at the Monarch. I was told the President of the Board will get back to me on my concerns I decided to follow it up on when I could expect a response and added the information on the 75% approval. I did get an email letting me know that the liaison will stay on top of it until I get a response. She also added I did want to point out, however, that the requirement of 75% (or more) owner approval is a mis-reading of our governance documents. That reference, from Article X of our Master Deed, specifically refers to restoring the property after a casualty, which isn’t applicable in current circumstances.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean anything other than a clarification to the Article Information above.

I'm curious to know if you got a response from the President of the Board or if Terry (liaison) has been back in contact with you on the structural changes being proposed. We "heard" that one of the units was to be modified in June 2017 so the Board could see what the new unit would look like AND to see if any "issues" were found when making the changes.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm curious to know if you got a response from the President of the Board or if Terry (liaison) has been back in contact with you on the structural changes being proposed. We "heard" that one of the units was to be modified in June 2017 so the Board could see what the new unit would look like AND to see if any "issues" were found when making the changes.
The reference to the 75 percent approval required for modifications dealt only wirh damage from casualty. Changing the wall will not require owner approval. I have reached out at least one more time and still have not gotten an answer on if this has been decided.

I have a Monarch Facebook page and asked members if they would want to change the wall. Right now we have about 56 with no and 6 with yes. This has nothing to do with the board and I did not ask it to forward to the board.

sudiski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I really wish the Board would reach out to the owners as they did for the parking situation a few years ago. Although we are definitely not for the change to the wall, if most owners use the sofa for a bed and want the extra room, I can accept that. Your facebook member numbers are very interesting. I have reached out to owners we know. Like your FB numbers, we found far more are against changing the wall - even those that have 3 generations staying in their unit.

At the "Java with the GM" meeting we attended, we were told they would be putting the sofa on the bedroom wall. In one of our units, this will put us facing the lagoon and not the ocean which we can now see from the couch. We know someone who has a unit closest to the beach in Magnolia, and they were told "you bought garden view". They bought their fixed unit because it does have an ocean view. To put their sofa facing the pool/lagoon and also take away the aquarium window and not put in another window on the side so they continue to have a view of the ocean seems crazy to me. I would hope that since the windows/sliders are being replaced, they will continue to have the sofa face the ocean with those that have any kind of an ocean view. Since we have an ocean front unit, we are also upset about the change to the windows. This will decrease the amount of beach we can see from inside our unit. Once we heard of the changes, we were amazed how often we do look out the small side of the aquarium window. We hope the Board will at least give us a side window and not just a wall

Like you, we have always thought that the management team and the Board have done a great job communicating with the owners. We love our Monarch weeks. Right now, we are hearing of major changes to our units and it would be nice if these changes would at least be posted on the Monarch owner site. The Board may not be required to get approval from the owners, but with the money being spent, I would hope they would want owner input. They could easily e-mail most owners, as they have most of our e-mail addresses. If any tuggers do get a response from the Board or if you see Monarchowners has posted the proposed changes, please post on TUG. Thanks!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sent an email earlier this evening asking the board to update the Owners website. If they do not do this I am going to suggest to anyone that voted to send an email. did they mention the Why.

okie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reference to the 75 percent approval required for modifications dealt only wirh damage from casualty. Changing the wall will not require owner approval. I have reached out at least one more time and still have not gotten an answer on if this has been decided.

I have a Monarch Facebook page and asked members if they would want to change the wall. Right now we have about 56 with no and 6 with yes. This has nothing to do with the board and I did not ask it to forward to the board.
I disagree with your interpretation of the Master Deed. Would like to know if you are a Contract Lawyer? The statement with regard to only damage from casualty does not consider the true intent of the master deed which was not to allow major modifications without 75% approval of owners. The master deed does not specifically state that the BOD has this power aside from casualty damage. I have consulted contract attorney who agrees with interpretation, the BOD DOES NOT have this authority without 75% owners approval. Of course this would probably have to be settled in court.