• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mom came home from Mexcio absolutely beside herself.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Wait, the sale pitch is not mandatory? Cause mom sure thinks it is.

Also, she drove down. She was hit from behind at the border on the way back which was two days before the most recent kidnappings. The guy was trying really hard to scare her into NOT calling the cops and to pay her $400. Mom is pretty tough but golly that would scare the pants off anyone. In the end she gave them all the MX money she had wish was 104us.

I am a solo female traveler, my advanures run 6/8 weeks of independant wandering. I have been to some fair dodgy places, think Syria, and I have not had any trouble BUT I also don't look or bahave like a prime target. Mom at 89, no matter what she does is going to look like a target.
Unless you are staying on a promotional sales deal (like the 3 nights for $99 or similar that some companies run), the sales pitch is never mandatory. So many people do the sales pitches at Vidanta resorts because they offer some large incentives. We have stayed several times at Vidanta resorts, but we have (so far) resisted the dreaded all-day sales pitches. It is disgusting how this place clearly took advantage of your mother, though. :mad:

As for driving in MX, that is something I just won't do. I know Americans do it all the time, but I don't think I would ever be comfortable driving there. Fly in, stay at the resort, explore the town during daylight hours, and fly out. And I have always had great vacations in MX!

Kurt

Nomadic

Reaction score
Unless you are staying on a promotional sales deal (like the 3 nights for $99 or similar that some companies run), the sales pitch is never mandatory. So many people do the sales pitches at Vidanta resorts because they offer some large incentives. We have stayed several times at Vidanta resorts, but we have (so far) resisted the dreaded all-day sales pitches. It is disgusting how this place clearly took advantage of your mother, though. :mad:

As for driving in MX, that is something I just won't do. I know Americans do it all the time, but I don't think I would ever be comfortable driving there. Fly in, stay at the resort, explore the town during daylight hours, and fly out. And I have always had great vacations in MX!

Kurt

Thank you for clearing up the sales thing.

Mom started driving down about 5 years ago, the whole flying/airport crazy got to be to much for her older husband. If Mom was going to be able to travel at all she had to drive. She did mentioned the good old days yesterday, fly in transfer at the airport and Vida offered a shuttle to the shops and back.

SML123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Meriweather Resort, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida
Garza Blanca, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Wait, the sale pitch is not mandatory? Cause mom sure thinks it is.

Also, she drove down. She was hit from behind at the border on the way back which was two days before the most recent kidnappings. The guy was trying really hard to scare her into NOT calling the cops and to pay her $400. Mom is pretty tough but golly that would scare the pants off anyone. In the end she gave them all the MX money she had wish was 104us.

I am a solo female traveler, my advantures run 6/8 weeks of independant wandering. I have been to some fair dodgy places, think Syria, and I have not had any trouble BUT I also don't look or bahave like a prime target. Mom at 89, no matter what she does is going to look like a target.

This did not happen. You are trying to fly that your 89 yo mother drove to Mexico by herself. The one who went through this entire drama. Not buying it but it was fun to read.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
This did not happen. You are trying to fly that your 89 yo mother drove to Mexico by herself. The one who went through this entire drama. Not buying it but it was fun to read.
I was kind of wondering about that myself. If she drove from PHX it’s not that bad of a drive to Puerto Penasco, but an 89 yr old woman and her older husband driving to Mexico OMG this has to be a disaster in the making.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I was kind of wondering about that myself. If she drove from PHX it’s not that bad of a drive to Puerto Penasco, but an 89 yr old woman and her older husband driving to Mexico OMG this has to be a disaster in the making.
Not to mention that, considering how slowly old folks drive, this trip would have taken weeks!

LoL.

Nomadic

Reaction score

You are right, my apologies I had my mothers age wong she told me this morning she is 85.
My mother is and always has been a cat of a differnt color.

She was helping me clean a barn with four horses last week and this week she is going to paint several rooms in a rentel house we own.

wrk2travelalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solaz
I know Mexico is nice but with the violence and the sales scammers its a wonder anyone still wants to go there. I know I would never.
I love Cabo..the violence is just as bad or worse in Chicago. My husband was cut and robbed in the Chicago tourist area. You have to be safe and know the area & rules no matter where you are. If you buy a TS on the secondary market-get a copy of the original contract-make sure the TS you are buying is really paid off--make sure it has an expiration date--and yearly cap on maintenance fees--it can be a great tool for vacations all over the world. Never ever use a bank debit card in a foreign country--any more with all the hackers..since a debit card is not insured..using it in the US is even risky. I love time sharing