• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Modifying a booking and 1 night stays

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wyndham, as usual, has implemented a policy changes, that in some situations, makes things worse.

While I applaud allowing modifications, they are limited to only prior to checkin. In eliminating 1 night checking, they have now eliminated the ability to extend your EXISTING and already CHECKED IN reservation. That is providing there is the same room category available.

Owner Care can't even override it or assist.

We need to petition them to see if they allow you to add a single day to an existing reservation that you are already check in for.

I am stuck in Destin because of a hurricane and because of the new rule I will have to move rooms, because I can't book the 1 extra night that is available in the room type I am in. Instead I am forced to book a different room type for 2 days and move rooms for a single nights usage. Oh and I have to pay for 2 nights too.

Sort of defeats the extra cleaning policy.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sigh. And I just got this message about a stay starting tomorrow that I wanted to add a day to.
Is this what you're seeing, or did you get a more "specialized" (cue SNL Church Lady) message?

Unable to Add Nights
We’re sorry, you are unable to add a night to your reservation because your check-in date is within 48 hours of today’s date.
Back to Modify Reservation

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
While I feel for you, (I'm at a Wyndham in South Florida right now myself), I don't believe the new benefit was added for this kind of circumstance, namely, an emergency. I think it was added just to give us a bit of additional flexibility for our regular vacations, where we sometimes find that we can stay longer than we originally thought or can leave earlier to begin.

If this new policy was able to be used for emergency situations, I think it would collapse under its own weight.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Sorry for your situation @Sandy VDH. I was hoping in an emergency the resorts or Owner Care would be able to help people out (and add on 1 night). Unfortunately it's not appearing to be the case (I've read of others on FB not able to extend as well). Totally agree it doesn't fly with the reasoning for taking away the 1 night reservation (for covid cleaning).

Adding on to an in-progress stay where an extra night is available should be a win for both the resort and the owner (no additional cleaning required and an available room doesn't sit empty).

@kaljor, I think the new policy would be fine if they hadn't taken away 1 night reservations. I am surprised how many people actually used that benefit.

Poorly implemented or thought out or whatever. I'm with you @Sandy VDH, hopefully enough owners will complain that some changes will occur (and soon)! Best of luck in your situaltion!

neuroDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poorly implemented or thought out or whatever. I'm with you @Sandy VDH, hopefully enough owners will complain that some changes will occur (and soon)! Best of luck in your situaltion!

I agree that this was poorly thought out. Adding days to the end of an in-progress reservation seems like an obvious play. Even so, the modification system doesn't work properly (as I just found out). I wanted to add a single night to a reservation in October. I could see the night available online, but I couldn't modify the reservation. I called in and a Wyndham rep did it for me in less than a minute.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I agree that this was poorly thought out. Adding days to the end of an in-progress reservation seems like an obvious play. Even so, the modification system doesn't work properly (as I just found out). I wanted to add a single night to a reservation in October. I could see the night available online, but I couldn't modify the reservation. I called in and a Wyndham rep did it for me in less than a minute.

It’s possible they do not allow it because they have no way of guaranteeing you’ll remain in that room if you book an additional night during your stay. If they already have that room designated for the next person, they would have to move you to another room that is available. That would require additional cleanings. In theory you would think that they could just move those people to a different room. But what if that’s the only room with a full week available? Even if there was availability in another unit and they could move those guests, reshuffling rooms last minute can be difficult, especially if you have multiple people doing the same thing. It’s not as simple as it sounds.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It’s possible they do not allow it because they have no way of guaranteeing you’ll remain in that room if you book an additional night during your stay. If they already have that room designated for the next person, they would have to move you to another room that is available. That would require additional cleanings. In theory you would think that they could just move those people to a different room. But what if that’s the only room with a full week available? Even if there was availability in another unit and they could move those guests, reshuffling rooms last minute can be difficult, especially if you have multiple people doing the same thing. It’s not as simple as it sounds.
Wasn't voyager supposed to give more responsibility to the resorts? Why not let a guest walk up to front desk, see if there is availability, and if they can stay in the same room, allow it?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't voyager supposed to give more responsibility to the resorts? Why not let a guest walk up to front desk, see if there is availability, and if they can stay in the same room, allow it?
Then if yo want to leave a day early you should be able to call Wyndham and cancel your last day and receive your points back?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

I had not heard anything about voyager giving more responsibility to the resorts. If they let the front desk do it, and they find they have to move the guest to a different room for one night, that defeats the purpose of eliminating one nights. It’s supposed to reduce the number of times a room has to be turned over. If they move that guest to a different room for one night, that’s an additional cleaning. They are not going to tell the guest no, we cannot accommodate because your room is booked after your stay because the next question out of that guests mouth will be if they can stay in a different room. Then the front desk person will have to explain to them that while there are other rooms that are sitting empty, they cannot let them stay in them for one night only. Of course that will be greeted with attitude.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham, as usual, has implemented a policy changes, that in some situations, makes things worse.

While I applaud allowing modifications, they are limited to only prior to checkin. In eliminating 1 night checking, they have now eliminated the ability to extend your EXISTING and already CHECKED IN reservation. That is providing there is the same room category available.

Owner Care can't even override it or assist.

We need to petition them to see if they allow you to add a single day to an existing reservation that you are already check in for.

I am stuck in Destin because of a hurricane and because of the new rule I will have to move rooms, because I can't book the 1 extra night that is available in the room type I am in. Instead I am forced to book a different room type for 2 days and move rooms for a single nights usage. Oh and I have to pay for 2 nights too.

Sort of defeats the extra cleaning policy.
The new modification policy only works if the system finds a unit that can be added to. The only way that can be accomplished is before the date of arrival. It has nothing to do with ANY simulator unit it has to be one that has days open before it after your booked stay.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Then if yo want to leave a day early you should be able to call Wyndham and cancel your last day and receive your points back?

Kind of hard to meet the 15 days prior without point protection under those circumstances.... Might work for check in day with point protection, but could run into the wait time for inventory.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to meet the 15 days prior without point protection under those circumstances.... Might work for check in day with point protection, but could run into the wait time for inventory.
Would it not be a new benefit?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Would it not be a new benefit?

Yeah, but not something I would expect. Certainly not something I would fight for. Versus the adding a night is a lost benefit. Most likely utilized by VIP's more than resale owners. My guess is the responses for or against the one night stays will follow those lines. For me, if I need to add a night, and 2 are available, I'll add 2. Very likely being able to take advantage of upgrades that the new add a night feature doesn't support. Whether on purpose or inadvertantly, this features benefits non-VIPs the most.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but not something I would expect. Certainly not something I would fight for. Versus the adding a night is a lost benefit. Most likely utilized by VIP's more than resale owners. My guess is the responses for or against the one night stays will follow those lines. For me, if I need to add a night, and 2 are available, I'll add 2. Very likely being able to take advantage of upgrades that the new add a night feature doesn't support. Whether on purpose or inadvertantly, this features benefits non-VIPs the most.
When I mentioned something similar I was told it was not all about VIPs. Which I replied I'm greedy.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
When I mentioned something similar I was told it was not all about VIPs. Which I replied I'm greedy.

Oh, but shouldn't it be? LOL (with some seriousness in that laugh).

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I really believe the loss of the one night stay is a temporary measure because of the heightened cleaning standards needed during this virus. I think it's a reasonable measure to take. Businesses do have to redeploy and conserve their resources (money) to navigate the massive loss of revenue they've suffered. I think this measure is one they believe would affect only a small number of reservations.

I understand that its a loss for the people who have frequently used it. I'm non-VIP and I've found a need to make a one night reservation twice. But I don't see any linkage between this and the new feature of adding nights before or after an upcoming reservation.

I get the fact that adding one night to an existing reservation doesn't add any cleaning costs, but I don't think the system is smart enough to handle any changes to an in-progress reservation. That's probably why they have a deadline of two days before the rez begins (I think its two days) . I made an earlier post where I kind of lamented that I couldn't add a night to my current stay, but it was right around the time when the new feature was added, and I wasn't able to pull it all together two days ahead.

If I'm wrong and this restriction lives on long after the pandemic does, I will admit to being naive.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy you have most likely tried this already as I know you have tons of expertise with Wyndham. Go to front desk ask to speak to the room manager. Those managers have the capability and access to the Wyndham point system to add nights. Especially during an extended stay created by GOD. The resort your staying at is large enough that you staying in the same unit should not be an issue. I have had room managers assist me in at least 3 different resorts. Also if going through Wyndham tell the rep you need to speak to a manager/supervisor or customer service. Please update us on your results.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Sandy you have most likely tried this already as I know you have tons of expertise with Wyndham. Go to front desk ask to speak to the room manager. Those managers have the capability and access to the Wyndham point system to add nights. Especially during an extended stay created by GOD. The resort your staying at is large enough that you staying in the same unit should not be an issue. I have had room managers assist me in at least 3 different resorts. Also if going through Wyndham tell the rep you need to speak to a manager/supervisor or customer service. Please update us on your results.

I normally would have, but it was Emerald Grande and it is managed by Wyndham, nor do they communicate well with Wyndham as their inventory is managed in a different system and they then have wyndham ressies that have to come into their system. As it turned out I left to avoid Sally, as sally kept creeping east. Good decision.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k

I have a small painting company thats no where near the scale of what these resorts deal with but is still a endlessly changing jigsaw puzzle that i have to piece together with exterior work being rained out and projecting if its 1,2, or 3 days of rain so that changes what interior job gets scheduled for those days. The point is if you have the room you should accommodate the guests and figure it out later.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I have a small painting company thats no where near the scale of what these resorts deal with but is still a endlessly changing jigsaw puzzle that i have to piece together with exterior work being rained out and projecting if its 1,2, or 3 days of rain so that changes what interior job gets scheduled for those days. The point is if you have the room you should accommodate the guests and figure it out later.

Sorry but I have to disagree with the “figure it out later” line of thinking. That might work with a small company, but not with larger ones and certainly not with a resort with hundreds or over a thousand rooms. Not only that, what if the owner comes up to then the day before check out, and asks for another night? They don’t have time to “figure it out later” at that point. Even if you say they have to give you 48 hours or 72 hours notice, that might not be enough time depending on the size of the resort. You cannot say large resorts should get 4 days notice and small resorts 2 days notice because the owner has no way of knowing what constitutes large and small. It will just add to the confusion.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
If there is a room available then there is probably several different ways to figure it out where it works for everyone unless a platinum vip has reserved that room a good manager can move some things around to make it work just like they have to when there are issues with rooms and they are suddenly unavailable.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is a room available then there is probably several different ways to figure it out where it works for everyone unless a platinum vip has reserved that room a good manager can move some things around to make it work just like they have to when there are issues with rooms and they are suddenly unavailable.
I can only speak to what happened to the wife and I at Long Warf. We were booked in a one bedroom which did not exist. The resort has one unit that is never rented out on the top floor of the townhouses stuck in the corner. Very small, the fridge didn't work, in the mini kitchen and needed sheets towels. Sometimes it it not possible to fullfill a one night stand let alone for a premade reservation made in the last days of the sixty day window.

Here and there it would be possible to accommodate an add on of one night to a reservation during the middle of a stay, but how can you make an on going policy if it cannot be done everytime everywhere? The new modification policy only works now if you can stay in the same unit for the requested add on.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
To be clear, im saying in Sandys situation when there is a identical room available they should allow you to add it and stay in the same room. I cant think of any scenerio where moving someone to the exact room type would be needed. I do not expect the resorts to give away someone elses room to accomodate the current occupants and figure it out later. That was meant for figure out the shuffling of rooms later because it shouldnt be hard to figure out.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
From my perspective, I really appreciate the information that folks provide here on what Wyndham has put out as their policies as well as the extent to which resort management has been able to accommodate requests that go beyond the Wyndham policies to allow adding an extra night to a stay in progress. I have never managed a hotel or resort and won't pretend to understand all of the intricacies and added costs that could be involved in making that type of thing a system-wide policy, but figure that if it's something customers really want, they should make that suggestion to Wyndham, who might do it if it makes good business sense. There could be some benefit to socializing the desired change with other customers that might be interested and willing to support such a suggestion, but unless someone communicates the suggestion to Wyndham and conveys how much good it would do there isn't likely to be a change to their current business decision. I'm not going to make the suggestion because it isn't really something I would find valuable given my current work and travel schedule constraints, but figured I'd put in my two cents on the potential value of telling Wyndham what you want instead of just venting on what they should do here or on Facebook.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be clear, im saying in Sandys situation when there is a identical room available they should allow you to add it and stay in the same room. I cant think of any scenerio where moving someone to the exact room type would be needed. I do not expect the resorts to give away someone elses room to accomodate the current occupants and figure it out later. That was meant for figure out the shuffling of rooms later because it shouldnt be hard to figure out.
But right now all the system can recognize is if there is a unit matching your booking that has right days available rather than seven. What your asking it to do is move around room reservations that are unoccupied as of that date so that you are accommodated by staying in the same room. There is no manager in his right mind that would take that on. And the system is not programed to do that. It is not a matter of the size of the company and resources, but the expenditure of resources for the amount of benefits it would produce.