• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MOC updates

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this on facebook, can anyone confirm?

“The big news is that in a couple of months, the 2 older buildings are being totally renovated. We were told they are redoing all the electrical, putting washers and dryers in the suites and adding a 2 burner cooktop as well as a toaster oven so one can cook in the suites! Flooring in living room are will be like an engineered hardwood….looks beautiful. Was told Marriott is bringing in about 1600 workers to attack 2 floors at a time, aiming for completion in 6 months.”

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I previously read somewhere that the resort won't be available for II exchange until sometime between mid 2023 and mid 2024 or could have been through mid 2023, so this probably goes along with that. I will see if I can dig up that thread.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Where would these washers and dryers go? The only place I could realistically see them would be in the spot where the shelving is right now, in the main entrance next to the fridge. It'd kinda suck to lose that space, and quite honestly, I'm not even sure that I care enough about having laundry in the suites (likely an unpopular opinion).

Edit: Perhaps the closet near the front entrance? I forgot about that space. My concern with laundry in-suite would be the noise, personally.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, where can I sign up for the board e-mails again? I was on them years ago, and then they just stopped coming.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I previously read somewhere that the resort won't be available for II exchange until sometime between mid 2023 and mid 2024 or could have been through mid 2023, so this probably goes along with that. I will see if I can dig up that thread.
Here you go:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what they will do with the common laundry and kitchen areas after the renovation is finished?

I'm sure Marriott would love to convert to rooms, but not sure Maui county regs would be an easy route to adding capacity -- then again I'm sure they could use the additional tax revenue. Anyone hear anything about it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder what they will do with the common laundry and kitchen areas after the renovation is finished?

I'm sure Marriott would love to convert to rooms, but not sure Maui county regs would be an easy route to adding capacity -- then again I'm sure they could use the additional tax revenue. Anyone hear anything about it?
I would think common laundry and kitchen could remain for those just booked into studios?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We own at MOC but have not received any formal communication about this. I looked in my account on the MVC website and there is no owner communication since last fall's fee billing. Maybe they will include a General Manager's letter with the 2023 budget this fall.

I was able to attend the annual Owner's Meeting last October and they said the property electrical infrastructure upgrades would be happening sometime this year or early next, and that would clear the way for unit renovations. At that point they did not have specifics on renovation plans and were unable to commit as to what the renovation would include, but implied it would be no earlier than 2024. So, the summer 2023 through spring 2024 timing mentioned in the II message link above would be generally consistent with that expectation.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got an e-mail address from Marriott's FB page and sent them an e-mail about it. If they reply back with anything, I'll post here.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could make the 3rd bathroom into a laundry room. Since it’s a hotel conversion there is an additional bathroom in the living room section of a 2 bedroom unit. Or they could take out the wall between that 3rd bathroom and the current galley kitchen and have a larger kitchen/laundry combo. IMHO they should have done that originally and put in a full kitchen With oven/stovetop.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They could make the 3rd bathroom into a laundry room. Since it’s a hotel conversion there is an additional bathroom in the living room section of a 2 bedroom unit. Or they could take out the wall between that 3rd bathroom and the current galley kitchen and have a larger kitchen/laundry combo. IMHO they should have done that originally and put in a full kitchen With oven/stovetop.
If the timeframe listed above is accurate, I don't see that being an option, personally. That's major renovation.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
This would be a nice renovation for the property, and it would be good to have in room laundry and a cooktop. I‘m happy to see them continuing to modernize the entire property.

Best,

Greg

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Such an upgrade adds significant value to and likely demand for the old units. If you're on the fence to buy one, I'd say move ASAP, if it's not too late.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
I read that a plumbing update is a high priority, existing drain plumbing being cast iron and OLD, like me :)

Al Savage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cast iron drain piping is the best. It doesn't wear out and can be reliably rootered. But it's expensive compared to cheap plastic, and requires skill to join, unlike glue-together plastic.

I was just under the house this week, 1960 construction, galv piping. Removed a section due to a frozen hose bib, no parts for it, and the pipe was in very good condition. Another building in the area, 1988 construction, all copper, we were replacing copper risers every year due to pinholes.

But copper can be soldered by nearly anyone (and the poor solder job doesn't show on the outside, in most cases), PEX is fast and cheap, and galv iron . . . requires skill and math. So no more galv :(

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Cast iron drain piping is the best. It doesn't wear out and can be reliably rootered. But it's expensive compared to cheap plastic, and requires skill to join, unlike glue-together plastic.
It does wear out. And rust. But it takes a long time. I had to replace a galvanized drain riser recently as it was rusting through. But it was almost 100 years old, so I didn't really hold that against it. I agree that it's the best for drain piping. Probably the person who will need to pay to replace that the next time isn't even born yet.

I would especially use galvanized for piping that's going to be concealed in walls and under floors/ceilings and is inaccessible without destroying finished surfaces. You want the hidden stuff to last. If it's out in the open (like accessible drain pipes running around under the ceiling of a basement parking garage, it's easy to access and fix, so plastic or whatever may be fine.

Al Savage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Galv ≠ cast iron. For drain, galv is not forever and I would never install galv for drain line, but cast iron is a different story. Sorry if I was unclear. I've been involved in many rust-throughs on galv for drains. But galv is great for supply lines, and cast iron for drains.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Where would these washers and dryers go? The only place I could realistically see them would be in the spot where the shelving is right now, in the main entrance next to the fridge. It'd kinda suck to lose that space, and quite honestly, I'm not even sure that I care enough about having laundry in the suites (likely an unpopular opinion).

Edit: Perhaps the closet near the front entrance? I forgot about that space. My concern with laundry in-suite would be the noise, personally.

Perhaps it would be an all in one washer/dryer units like some of the Hilton’s use. The picture is a washer/dryer under the bathroom vanity at HGVC Elara

Attachments

• 50393A6A-8EB3-426D-9F03-74DDBE9A7594.jpeg
    50393A6A-8EB3-426D-9F03-74DDBE9A7594.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 19

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps it would be an all in one washer/dryer units like some of the Hilton’s use. The picture is a washer/dryer under the bathroom vanity at HGVC Elara
That would definitely be acceptable to me.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Maybe they've gotten better, but having owned a couple of different brands of those all-in-one units years ago when I lived in Europe, my conclusion was that they weren't particularly good at either washing or drying.

Al Savage

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one I had (in 2002) would wash acceptably, but the condensing unit would never give me "dry", only "lightly damp". TBF, the manual said as much :rolleyes:. I had it in an RV, where space is at a premium.

Perhaps newer versions use a phase-change condenser to improve that situation; I haven't had a need for the space-saving of one since then, so I haven't kept up with the tech.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Maybe they've gotten better, but having owned a couple of different brands of those all-in-one units years ago when I lived in Europe, my conclusion was that they weren't particularly good at either washing or drying.
The one I had (in 2002) would wash acceptably, but the condensing unit would never give me "dry", only "lightly damp". TBF, the manual said as much :rolleyes:. I had it in an RV, where space is at a premium.

Perhaps newer versions use a phase-change condenser to improve that situation; I haven't had a need for the space-saving of one since then, so I haven't kept up with the tech.

Until last year, I liked them so much I was taking our laundry down to the laundry room to wash/dry our clothes. Blue jeans were especially impossible to dry.

Last year they put had put in a newer unit at HGVC Elara and it did a better job on the lighter weight clothing, even getting them to an acceptable level of dryness. Maybe if MVC puts in a newer, higher quality machine, it won’t be so bad, but if that’s their plan I hope they do t repurpose the public laundry room