• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mio Moov GPS questions

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In 2008 I got DH a Mio Moov 500 for Christmas.

I thought he would use it, but we used it once on a trip to Tahoe (actually he didn't touch it - I used it) and then he put it in his desk, and never opened the box again.

Last night he got it out (yes, 3 years later!) and said - let's take this to Las Vegas.

I asked him - Is it charged? Have you ever updated the maps?
Got a dumb look back - no DH is not a techy.

So I went to the Mio website and could find nothing, then I called customer service and talked to someone in another country.

After taking down all my info. and a long discussion he said: That model has been discontinued - we don't support it any more, but I can offer you a discount if you buy a new one! :mad:

Finally the question- Is there anyway to update the maps, and if not, is it pointless to take it to LV with 2008 maps?

I googled and found this website, but I am not sure about using it - http://www.filecrop.com/mio-moov-500-map-update.html

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't invest a lot of time or money in this, but what the heck. Plug it in to your computer with the presumably included USB cord and click on the 'update maps' link for your model. If it works, fine. If not, you probably aren't out much. Next time, buy a Garmin. Get one with the model suffix LM or LMT which stands for lifetime maps or lifetime maps/traffic.

Alternately, just take the Mio with you. Since the recession hit Las Vegas pretty hard, there haven't been a lot of new roads started since then. Even though the map data may be 3 years old, you should be able to input addresses and get to them. What really gets out-of-date fastest is the points of interest. Businesses change, start up, go out of business, move.

My stand alone Garmin is about that same age, and DW's built-in Toyota nav system is a 2005. It costs double what mine cost for new maps and the one in the car is almost $200 on eBay! One day when we are flush, we'll but a new portable, but now.

Santa, are you listening?

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I got a similar cold-shoulder from Garmin about one of their discontinued models, but I'm still using it.

I'm a little leary of public file sharing sites, but if you have decent antivirus software that scans downloadables, it should be safe enuff. But that won't tell you if the file is useable. You might try to see if the Mio website has something to say about this particular update.

Of course, not updating at all is the safest option. You may miss some new construction or place names, but roads don't change all that much. It'll take you where you need to go.

Many newer GPS units include lifetime map updates with software for you 'puter that automatically checks for and downloads available updates.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim - Are you saying to use the unknown website that I googled?

http://www.filecrop.com/mio-moov-500-map-update.html

Like Talent312 said- assuming you have up-to-date virus scanning, sure. I'm not familiar with how your particular unit loads maps, but perhaps following the update instructions in either your owner's guide or online will give you the sequence. I know my Garmin allows loading maps onto microSD card and selecting either the onboard memory or reading from the card. Hopefully yours is similar.

Also, as he said, if you are uncomfortable trying to update it, just take it on your trip as is.

BTW, I clicked the link and neither my Web Of Trust nor AVG sounded an alarm for what that's worth.

Jim

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The GPS was pretty much a bust - it could be used as a map, but it could not find any addresses, so I guess the map was too old and out of synch.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a smart phone, use its GPS rather than pay to update an out of date item.