• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MF overcharged?

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
In dealing with this useless turd of a timeshare Orange Lake, I'm hit with the yearly maintenance fee. This past Feb we signed up with 50k points. We paid the maintenance fee with the contract. That was for 2019, and should have been from Feb onward whatever amount it was (have to look it up). On July 30 we upgraded to 120k points, was charged the 979 maintenance fee for the year included in the loan. We just got a bill for 2020 maint fees of 1040.

I called them to complain since we just paid a year's worth of maint fees in July that they originally agreed to ($979). I said we did not own at that rate until July 30, it should be prorated. They said they charge the MF based on the fact you can use any property at any time (during the day I imagine!) not the fact that you actually stay there. Some crap like that.

A couple of problems with this that seem illegal to me.

1) When we signed up in Feb, we paid MF for 2019 when we purchased it. I have the find the contract for the amount.

2) We paid AGAIN in July at the new rate for the new points. The MF went up. That tells me the rate is based on the points value, not the fact we can just "use the place".

So it seems to me I should have a credit coming back to me, or a greatly reduced rate for next year. Where does that credit go besides their pockets?

Is there a lawyer that can help that won't cost more than the MF? We just started the timeshare so want to actually USE the thing before we bail on it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to look at your original paperwork and payment as to whether you were double charged MF.

MF rate is based on use year, not when you use.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
The maintenance fee is associated with the points not the year. You paid the maintenance fees on the points you received in 2019. Now you need to pay for the points you receive in 2020. Maintenance does go up so the change from 979 to 1040 does make sense. Did you use your initial 50k points and then get another 120k in July. If so everything seems legit. If you didnt use your initial 50k points you might be due a refund on that maintenance fee.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Also, check to see that the MF you paid totals that many points for that year. It sounds like the MF you paid in July should be for the 120k for 2019, less the 50k points fee you paid in Feb. The bill for 2020 is probably for the full 120k for 2020, and has nothing to do with when you signed in 2019. I don’t think points MFs are prorated.

Dave

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
When I signed up in Feb, probably paid 400. In July paid 974. If they took the 50k in points and applied their "value" to the loan for the 120k, ( I only have 120k not 170) then I suppose the 50k that I paid for is gonzo and so is the 400? Plus I paid a whole years MF and little time to use it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Call to see if you can save the 2019 points, there may be another fee but all the points will roll over and you will have 2X points in 2020. Hurry before the year ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
The points are supposed to roll over to next year.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I signed up in Feb, probably paid 400. In July paid 974. If they took the 50k in points and applied their "value" to the loan for the 120k, ( I only have 120k not 170) then I suppose the 50k that I paid for is gonzo and so is the 400? Plus I paid a whole years MF and little time to use it.

You have 120K annual points now - how many points are there actually in your account? If you have 170K points, then the maintenance covered the usable points you received. If only 120K, then you need to check your maintenance from July and see if they applied a maintenance credit. The best way to think of maintenance is as paying for your annual allotment of points.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Tapatalk Group