• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico tipping

JordinE

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
We have been coming to Mexico for 20 years and have always tipped often and well, because we have an understanding of the culture and poverty level here and also understand it’s a service industry. We had something interesting happen this week at vidanta RM. On all of their menus and on signs in all the restaurants, it says that there’s a 15% gratuity/service fee already added to all bills. (I’ve never noticed this before). We have been tipping on top of that, but almost every single waiter and pool staff has made sure to point out to us that the tip is already included and wants to make sure that we’re OK adding the additional. We’ve never had them question it so often before. Is this 15% included gratuity new this year due to Covid and their way of trying to make up lost revenue or just to ensure wait staff is getting $?

rpennisi

Reaction score
We have been coming to Mexico for 20 years and have always tipped often and well, because we have an understanding of the culture and poverty level here and also understand it’s a service industry. We had something interesting happen this week at vidanta RM. On all of their menus and on signs in all the restaurants, it says that there’s a 15% gratuity/service fee already added to all bills. (I’ve never noticed this before). We have been tipping on top of that, but almost every single waiter and pool staff has made sure to point out to us that the tip is already included and wants to make sure that we’re OK adding the additional. We’ve never had them question it so often before. Is this 15% included gratuity new this year due to Covid and their way of trying to make up lost revenue or just to ensure wait staff is getting $?
I believe the gratuity has been in place for the past few years at Riviera Maya Vidanta.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We have been coming to Mexico for 20 years and have always tipped often and well, because we have an understanding of the culture and poverty level here and also understand it is a service industry , this week at vidanta RM. On all of their menus and on signs in all the restaurants, it says that there’s a 15% gratuity/service fee already added to all ..........or just to ensure wait staff is getting $?
It also helps the kitchen etc.staff. i believe all restaurant tips at Vidanta are split with the staff who make the food.

This is pretty common in many restaurants and our one son was happy to get a % when he was a 16 year old bussing tables ,and a few summers later he was the waiter and was ok with splitting on the tip listed on the credit card bill as well.

We too try to tip well when in Mexico.
PS - don’t forget to offer any usable food from your fridge etc. to your housekeeper .

I have never been turned down in Mexico and whether it is used or shared , I am glad it doesn’t go wasted in the garbage. When I went on the NV - “back of the house tour” in Nov 2019 , the manger told us that this was a perk for housekeeping.

-we try to have a box or reusable shopping bags in place for this , and write - Propina and the housekeeper’s name - and sign our name and room number.

Last edited:

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
To add to T Dot's custom
I've noticed at Hacienda Encantada that on check out day that guests and houskeeping leave bottled/can beer outside the rooms as houskeeprs do not take alcohol home. Often we'll pick up the beer (unless it's Tecate or Lite) and give a propina of about the same value to the houskeepers working the floor. The houskeepers use the money to buy food for their family and I get free delivery. Good for all.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Just found at Conde Nast Travel web site that Cornell professor, Michael Lynn, has published more than 70 research papers about tipping. Here is the link:

The 71st paper should be titled "Tipping Guide in Mexico", unless you have a better title...

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We always tip well at our home resort, which is an all-inclusive where the gratuities are supposed to be included. When staying at hotels or places like the Westin Lagunamar, we'll tip more or less like we do in the US for restaurants/bars, and then a couple of dollars US for bellhops and such. We always leave the housekeeper about $20/week when we leave.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If you drank that much, wouldn't you tip too? :cool: