• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico Slow To Implement Strong Measures Against Coronavirus

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Mexico Slow to Implement Strong Measures Against Coronavirus
President cites impact on economy; other Latin American nations, with fewer cases, have taken tougher actions

Mexico’s government is resisting implementing strong measures to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, even as President Trump said Wednesday that he would block the entry of asylum seekers and ban nonessential travel across the U.S.-Mexico border.

On Wednesday morning, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said he wouldn’t close airports, shut down businesses or take other steps that might damage the economy.

“(We face) pressures of all types. Close the airport, shut down everything, paralyze the economy. No,” Mr. López Obrador said at a his daily news conference. He said that while he was worried about the epidemic, he had to act responsibly, especially in protecting the poor...

For weeks, Mexico has played down the risk of coronavirus. The government hasn’t barred travel from any country, is only screening passengers from a handful of nations and this week is still allowing some large public events and for schools to operate normally...

Read more here:

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have a friend who is trying to get her Mom to return back to the US. Mom is being stubborn because reports are it’s only in the metro areas.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
I talked to a 20 year Cabo resident working in the resort industry this evening. She said the schools have gone to online learning effective this week and that cruise ships are staying out to sea and not coming into port. Hotels are at about 50% occupancy but last minute vacationers are still coming in at a good rate but staying in the resorts vs eating in town etc. Activity tours are slow and no Coronavirus cases reported in Cabo or San Jose to her or her extended family's knowledge.

Friends have been in Cabo for 2 weeks with 2 more weeks to go. They say it's quiet and they are enjoying the great exchange rate of about 24 to 1.

Mexico like the US does not have much testing capability but it seems the hospitals have not been experiencing a surge in respiratory patients.

I'm not endorsing or warning just what two reliable sources have reported in the last 2 days.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I believe it’s a poor decision. The borders btwn US and Mx are open. There are also the migrant camps. They are truly playing w/ fire.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I find it interesting that Mexico is acknowledging that economic damage is just as bad as getting sick from the virus. Mexico is saying protecting the economy is acting responsibly as well as protecting the poor. I think the USA might want to consider this too. When this is all over, the USA will be a mess, much worse than in 2008, and the poor will be hurt a lot more than everyone else. Everyone is affected by this but the poor always suffer the most when the economy declines.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I heard they are about to announce a c-19 treatment tomorrow. Elon Musk was tweeting something about it and so are some of the business websites. It should slow c-19 down. There was also a tweet from Musk about a Japanese flu vacine that seems to work against c-19. Things are going to be better very soon, imo. We have family in Ajijic and all seems fine so far.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel our Federal governments Needs to cancel all flights to Mexico and returning from Mexico ASAP. IMHO.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Mexico is not testing. Period. And if there is testing, it’s the higher socioeconomic rungs. The truth is, if Me does not take this seriously it will spread and devastate poorer nations who do not have the $$$ or infrastructure to handle a crisis. There is a reason why the Caribbean countries are preventing ships from docking.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that Mexico is acknowledging that economic damage is just as bad as getting sick from the virus. Mexico is saying protecting the economy is acting responsibly as well as protecting the poor. I think the USA might want to consider this too. When this is all over, the USA will be a mess, much worse than in 2008, and the poor will be hurt a lot more than everyone else. Everyone is affected by this but the poor always suffer the most when the economy declines.
I know I'm in the minority here -- and only time will tell. But this posting has me checking airfare to Mazatlan. Friends are asking... But what if Trump closes the border?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I know I'm in the minority here -- and only time will tell. But this posting has me checking airfare to Mazatlan. Friends are asking... But what if ......
Mexican News say that may be tomorrow USA will close the border.

It would appear (IMO) that the Canada- USA border was closed to “ non essential” travel after Canada
was able to get the exemption for trade / truckers. etc.

i assume that Mexico will be “allowed” to keep shipping essential avocados northbound .

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexican News say that may be tomorrow USA will close the border.
Just saw that. Now to contact RCI to release the week I confirmed.
I find it pretty incredible that Mexico only has 100 confirmed cases. (And several of those came in directly from a high-end ski trip to vail.)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I find it pretty incredible that Mexico only has 100 confirmed cases. (And several of those came in directly from a high-end ski trip to vail.)
Probably because they're not testing.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I heard they are about to announce a c-19 treatment tomorrow. Elon Musk was tweeting something about it and so are some of the business websites. It should slow c-19 down. There was also a tweet from Musk about a Japanese flu vacine that seems to work against c-19. Things are going to be better very soon, imo. We have family in Ajijic and all seems fine so far.

Elon Musk is now an expert in virology? I’d sooner believe Bozo The Clown;)

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Well, not much news on deaths, which would be on the rise, irregardless of test.
Unless the deaths that are occurring in Mexico haven't been attributed to COVID-19 due to lack of testing.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I am in Monterrey Mexico, the city looks empty, families are at home, I went to Costco in the morning, there were a few customer and personal to.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Costco in Pennsylvania is crowded like Blackfriday mob. In the afternoon you have to wait in line outside.

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using Tapatalk

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I saw many resorts available for the next weeks at mexican beaches in Expedia, it seems they don't take very serious the C-19 warnings.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I saw many resorts available for the next weeks at mexican beaches in Expedia, it seems they don't take very serious the C-19 warnings.

Please take care of you and your family .

Prov of Ontario Canada - Friday March 27
993 cases - 18 deaths ( 6 are in senior homes)

We are moving into community transmission - growth of cases in Canada
Most early cases were returning travellers - China - then Iran - Italy - Europe
but that is changing .

Tourists from many places come to Mexico - some may unknowingly have come with Covid -19

The Covid 19 virus (possibly) may not spread as quickly in warm humid weather BUT THAT IS NOT CONFIRMED.

be safe.