• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico resorts

DK3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else taken a look at booking in Mexico in January or February? There is nothing at any of the resorts that can be booked online and I mean nothing. No random days on the grid and no future days after the booking window.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
It always a bit of a wait for Fiesta Americana to release inventory for the following year. We had a similar thread last year about this same thing.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
Keep in mind that a lot of Fiesta Americana are mandatory AI (although that could change now. Buffets aren’t coming back soon). I’ve used HGVC points in Cabo and in Cancun. The first Cancun property is several levels down quality wise than HGVC, I’d rather rent at Lagunamar.
The Cabo property is a lot nicer, however they increased the amount of HGVC club points it takes and made the AI mandatory. The few downfalls of the Cabo property is no swimmable beach and you either need a car, taxi, or Uber to go anywhere.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
They have AI free for FAVC members until Dec 1, I’m not sure for HGVC members

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Keep in mind that a lot of Fiesta Americana are mandatory AI (although that could change now. Buffets aren’t coming back soon). I’ve used HGVC points in Cabo and in Cancun. The first Cancun property is several levels down quality wise than HGVC, I’d rather rent at Lagunamar.
The Cabo property is a lot nicer, however they increased the amount of HGVC club points it takes and made the AI mandatory. The few downfalls of the Cabo property is no swimmable beach and you either need a car, taxi, or Uber to go anywhere.

I wonder about the buffet. That is the best part of the AI experience at the Cabo property is that awesome morning breakfast (and the skinny margaritas by the pool). The dinners aren’t that great.

My idea going forward at the Cabo property is to just use cheap points for the hotel rental. You don’t need a kitchen because AI is mandatory anyway. The beach is kinda swimmable. The snorkeling is actually really good at the rocks just off the shore.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
I
I wonder about the buffet. That is the best part of the AI experience at the Cabo property is that awesome morning breakfast (and the skinny margaritas by the pool). The dinners aren’t that great.

My idea going forward at the Cabo property is to just use cheap points for the hotel rental. You don’t need a kitchen because AI is mandatory anyway. The beach is kinda swimmable. The snorkeling is actually really good at the rocks just off the shore.
I don’t think their will be self serving buffets for awhile. I saw a video on CNN where it showed with a black light how buffets with a worker serving the food (lunch lady style) drastically cuts down the spread of germs.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I

I don’t think their will be self serving buffets for awhile. I saw a video on CNN where it showed with a black light how buffets with a worker serving the food (lunch lady style) drastically cuts down the spread of germs.

The labor is cheap enough in Mexico that they could have multiple servers.

DK3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took the city bus last year to travel to Cabo. It is a hike to the main road.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
They have AI free for FAVC members until Dec 1
Does that mean that FAVC members will also be required to mandatory AI after Dec 1.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The snorkeling is actually really good at the rocks just off the shore.
Agree, in fact, it so far is the best that we have found in the area so far.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Has anyone else taken a look at booking in Mexico in January or February? There is nothing at any of the resorts that can be booked online and I mean nothing. No random days on the grid and no future days after the booking window.
I just booked 17 mid-January nights at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancún. There seemed to be decent availability.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
FAVC Cancun Villas had been remodeled in the last years. They add sand and palapas in the beach, more jacuzzis by the pool, the lobby, new steak house restaurant, will change hot tubes in the rooms. I like the location ant spend a few points, but if you compare whit Lagunamar there’s no chance.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

+1 agree about the breakfast and dinners. Wonder how they will manage that.

I am curious about cheap points. Are you referring to a low number of HGVC points required? or are there hotel points that can be used to stay there? If so, which ones?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
+1 agree about the breakfast and dinners. Wonder how they will manage that.

I am curious about cheap points. Are you referring to a low number of HGVC points required? or are there hotel points that can be used to stay there? If so, which ones?
There are two categories under HGV at FA Cabo now. The one we always used offered Studio, 1 br and 2 br. The second FA Cabo category you can access are just hotel units with 2 queen beds. These were always mandatory AI. Cheap points especially mid week. I just figure forget getting a condo since you won’t be cooking anyway.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There are two categories under HGV at FA Cabo now. The one we always used offered Studio, 1 br and 2 br. The second FA Cabo category you can access are just hotel units with 2 queen beds. These were always mandatory AI. Cheap points especially mid week. I just figure forget getting a condo since you won’t be cooking anyway.

Thanks for clarifying. I presume AI would not be too bad for a short mid-week stay with only 2 people.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks for clarifying. I presume AI would not be too bad for a short mid-week stay with only 2 people.
Yeah that’s the way I look at it. My wife and I can go Monday to Friday in off season for a little more than 500 points. Breakfast, lunch and cocktails by the pool make the AI palatable. We can go out to dinner somewhere else. They do have some dinner items that are a surcharge. I wonder if those are any better?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@buzglyd I thought AI was all or nothing. Is there a smaller package that deletes dinners? How much does that run per day? I would love a package that does not pay for dinners.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
@buzglyd I thought AI was all or nothing. Is there a smaller package that deletes dinners? How much does that run per day? I would love a package that does not pay for dinners.

No, I'm not saying that. Dinners are included but there were some menu items that had a surcharge that were not included (like lobster). I'm just wondering if the surcharge menu items were better than the regular prison gruel dinners and then you could still have free drinks with dinner (although the free wines were not very good).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
No, I'm not saying that. Dinners are included but there were some menu items that had a surcharge that were not included (like lobster). I'm just wondering if the surcharge menu items were better than the regular prison gruel dinners and then you could still have free drinks with dinner (although the free wines were not very good).

Got it. I agree that the regular dinner fare was not great and service excruciatingly slow. That would be a good way to get greater value out of the AI menu if the surcharges are not too steep.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are Booked for 3 weeks in San Jose del Cabo during February 2021 - Royal Solaris, Coral Baja, and Cabo Azul.

nlehvac

Reaction score
I notice people mentioning going to a hotel room being a 'cheaper' way to go, rather than the villas. But there's more than the AI to consider. Granted, after our first year there using HGVC points we bought FA and are now Live Aqua (I thought it was nuts, but hubby wanted it and luckily that's more important then the $$s), but there's more to consider than AI or "need" for a kitchen.

NOTE these comments are pre-Covid, but I think still of interest going forward. During the pandemic, I'm sure the crowds aren't near as bad. But then do YOU want to be there? HINT: You probably don't want to depend on the medical care. "Uneven" is the best I would say about it [luckily, I think mine was quite good when I needed it]. Also, during the current pandemic, I doubt anything is crowded - assuming it (or all the restaurants) is open. Or as Americans will there be difficult immigration regs for when you plan to go.

Have you ever been there when there's a convention booked and/or multiple weddings, all of whom are staying in the hotel? You may as well be at a hotel in a major city. And it REALLY can fill up the restaurants leading to the slow service (altho a nice - not exorbitant - tip can fix that). You may also want to check about access to the timeshare pools if you're booked hotel. I have no idea and the main pools can also get crowded.

Personally we and others we've brought (including a couple of Bostonites used to "the good life") found most of the food, including dinners quite good. This last year (late Jan into Feb) no matter where we had dinner in the hotel, 4 or 5 of us would go to the Italian restaurant for creme brule dessert. That's where being LARC really helps, even if the folks in line give nasty stares :eek:) .

Just had to edit for what we think is an important point ... Having a waterside room (if you ask for phase 1, which we were able to do even that first HGVC year). Sleep with the sliding doors open and fall asleep to the surf. Watch the surf coming in/going out with your morning coffee. That's why we don't go up the hill to the LARC villas! Perfect sunrise view, too. And one year, we almost missed our bus back to the airport watching a momma teaching baby how to breach.
Can't guarantee phase 1 in the high seasons, tho!

Last edited: