• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico generally - YIKES!

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I found it comforting to know. There is no way I wanted any of our group to be stuck in Mexico on a false positive test while not sick. If anyone had been sick it would have been a concern and definitely quarantine.

It would depend on where you were staying. The people that we know that tested positive actually were forced to quarantine with a resort employee monitoring the quarantined.

What many travelers do is cross the border at the CBX which is the TJ border crossing bridge. The reason many people do this is for cheap flights out of TJ to Mexican resort destinations. Recently though it is being used as a way to not have to take the antigen test to return to the USA. Tourists of any country traveling across the bridge are not required to take the antigen test to enter the USA. Not taking the test is different than testing positive then making a run for TJ but I bet a person could very easily do so if they were not showing symptoms.

Bill

Do they even ask at the CBX if you have tested positive or are presenting symptoms?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Do they even ask at the CBX if you have tested positive or are presenting symptoms?

I don't know. I fly out of Seattle so I cross the border on an airplane. My guess is that the border crossing at the CBX has no concerns going into Mexico but probably has a form required to attest that you are not sick to enter the USA.

Bill

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The Swiss Cheese Maginot Line / We have those in Canada too.

Oh, really?? Swiss cheese Maginot line?? Great sound bite, but where and based on what? Perhaps you could be a bit more specific, rather than making a blanket pejorative statement. I am not aware of anywhere that you can fly or drive into Canada without a negative Covid-19 test, unless you have proof of a positive test between 14 and 90 days ago.

The only exceptions of which I am aware, that are allowed into or out of Canada via land border without a test, are essential or regular cross-border workers or others with specific exemptions. They still have to answer the standard questions, such as whether have they tested positive or had potential Covid-19 symptoms. My BIL has to do it regularly. If not returning to the USA promptly, they also still have to do the 14-day quarantine when they return to Canada. CBSA and local authorities do follow-up with them to ensure compliance.

So if they answer "no", when in fact they have tested positive, then they lied to the border agent. Is that what you are suggesting is happening?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
You might check this thread.

In Summary from my week visit to Puerto Vallarta ending yesterday, the heavy dependency on tourists in that area makes is better than where I live in Ohio regarding precautions by the locals.

Cheers

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I found it comforting to know. There is no way I wanted any of our group to be stuck in Mexico on a false positive test while not sick. If anyone had been sick it would have been a concern and definitely quarantine. The product we used is called ManakuGaurd Nasal Spray. We bought it at Rite Aid. I'm told that it is hard to find these days. Another hack is to use 1/4 teaspoon baby shampoo and saline solution in a sinus wash. You can google the exact directions.

I don't know if you realize but applying a 'hack' that kills the virus in the sinus is not avoiding a false positive, it's avoiding a true positive.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't know if you realize but applying a 'hack' that kills the virus in the sinus is not avoiding a false positive, it's avoiding a true positive.

The problem with the antigen test is there are false positives. Imo, using the hack when you are well might help regarding a false positive. I'm not claiming this actually works but it is very legal.

Bill

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory#:~:text=The US Food and Drug,-CoV-2.

Potential for False Positive Results with Antigen Tests for Rapid Detection of SARS-CoV-2 - Letter to Clinical Laboratory Staff and Health Care Providers

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Without going on and on about this, BUT, feeling well means nothing when it comes to COVID. False positives are the chances you take that creates inconvenience. Masking a true positive potentially impacts many peoples health.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 2 months in Playa Del Carmen area Early Jan-Early March. The occupation levels at the resorts were way down I would guess no more than 30%. The resort we usually spend the entire time wintering at closed at the half way point of our trip. We spent the remaining 4 weeks at a sister resort. Felt safe everywhere we went. Resorts taking every precaution you could think of. We also were vigIlant about how much contact we had with others. Much more cautious then folks were being in the USA. We were glad we did not cancel our trip as most owners we usually see at that time of the year did.
The test requirements to re enter the US were instituted Feb.10 so we did have to test to return home. The resort did the testing on site it cost less than 20.00 US and was no big deal.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this in order to get some more recent reviews. We're looking at visiting one of the Westin properties in the near future.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We just booked an II exchange into Lagunamar for next May, so a long way off. I read info on the site (for all MVC resorts, including Vistana) and if I read it correctly Lagunamar has testing on-site. Did I read that correctly?

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Yes. In April it was approximately $34 per person. Scheduled appointments by the concierge in a separate apartment in building 10. Went extremely smoothly.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. In April it was approximately $34 per person. Scheduled appointments by the concierge in a separate apartment in building 10. Went extremely smoothly.
I believe that was for the antigen test. If you need a PCR test they were also available , around $100 in February

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
FWIW we just came back from Cancun. The Antigen test at Lagunamar was easy and fast. Interestingly, the airline nor anyone else during our transit asked us for our negative COVID test documentation. I did not upload it prior to travel, I just took it to the airport with me. We could have easily travelled home without it.