• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexican timeshares

shiloh18

Reaction score
Hi.

This may sound redundant, for which I apologize.

Has anyone appealed to Profeco in a case in which a Mexican company, like one in Cancun, refuses to acknowledge that a contract has been terminated although a letter was submitted within the contractual period?

Can the Mexican company come after the so-called owner in U.S. court? How often has that happened? Would they send the drug cartel after the person?

Is it worth using a U.S. lawyer at least to get a little protection by filing a letter stipulating that the contract was cancelled?

The down payment may be lost for good, but I'd rather take some action and get out of the contract since that Mexican company wants to make a sweet deal in which the down payment would be applied to a cheaper contract, over 20 years. However, I'm not interested in taking that bait.

I have been lying low and waiting to see what the company would do, but the Mexican company has offered me a deal that would involve at least $5,000 to $10,000 additional payments over 20 years, which I'm not interested in.

I am aware of massive corruption in Mexico, so I'm not sure if Profeco can do anything, and I would waste money or time going down to Mexico to pursue the matter.

Therefore, back to my original question:

Is it worth contacting Profeco, in addition to using my lawyer here, or do you think it would be a risky move that might exacerbate the situation?

Thank you.

shiloh18

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should absolutely appeal to Profeco. Look in the 'Mexico' forum stickies under 'knowing your rights....' The Profeco contacts are there as well as various testamonials from users. From what you said, you have copies of rescission letters, contract and the likes. Copy them and prepare to send them to Profeco. If you can show that you DID rescind within the allowed time, it should be easy to cancel the conTract and get your down payment back.

They won't send a 'drug cartel' to get you, but if you don't pay a legal contract that you signed, they will send it to collection.

What took you so long?

Jim Ricks

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely worth contacting Profeco. We rarely hear back from those with issues like yours, but occasionally someone will post months later with the good news that Profeco helped.

Search this forum for Profeco and you'll find a few examples.

PJ

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This OP was given the above info on Sept 13. Did he follow through? Sorry I didn't check before repeating myself.

Jim