• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Meritage Managment

johnak

Reaction score
I received a call from Meritage Management claiming to be doing business in Salt Lake City wanting to buy my time share for a lot more than I paid for it. They claimed that were no upfront fees and all they wanted was 5% commission after the sale was completed. They sent me proposal signed by Douglas Swanson, Meritage Management Director.
On January 11, I received a call from Mr. Ed Morris (877/819-1598). He wants a copy of the time share contract to verify the info. Once that is completed he will send a sales agreement to sign, and then that will be forwarded to an escrow company. At this time he doesn’t have the name of the escrow company because it is selected by the buyer.
On January 19, I received a contract from Meritage Management. The contract was signed by MM Director, Mr. Alan Sullivan. It specifies, among other things, that I may have to pay some transfer fees, taxes and other costs prior to receiving my money from the sale. If I don’t follow through, Meritage Management can bill me for the 5% commission on the expected sale price of $49,980.00.
On January 20, I received a call from Mr. Ed Morris, asking me to read the contract over the weekend and he would call back on Monday to discuss the terms. I said let’s talk now. He pointed me towards an escrow company by the name of Silver Star Real Estate Group in Corpus Christie, TX. Upon logging in I found information on the account, including a reference to a reimbursement fee of $4,998.00. He told me that I had to pay these fees prior to the sale, but that Meritage Management would reimburse me at the close of the sale. I told him his whole contract was a deception to get me to pay $4,980.00 upfront fees. Once I paid that fee I would never hear from and would be unable to find him or Meritage Management since all of the contract info is invalid.
They have gone to great lengths to write positive articles about awards they have received and the hiring of new executives. These articles are found on the internet when searching for their company name. Only when I checked with the proper government offices, do the real facts appear.
There is no property record of their address in Salt Lake City
Their phone prefix is from a town 105 miles away
Their Fax number prefix is from another zip code in Salt Lake City
There is no record of a business license for a company by the name of Meritage Management in Salt Lake City.
Do not be fooled by these people. They only want your money. If you want to have some fun, try returning their calls using the toll free number they provide. In fact, make several calls. They get billed for all of these calls.

Last edited:

aiseri

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received a call from Meritage Management. Thanks for the post and all of the hard work in exposing this. I haven't been active on TUG for a few years, but it is posts like yours that make TUG the most useful site around.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a simple rule of thumb for TS business offers -

NEVER pay a large upfront fee - no matter what they call it - unless you are ready to kiss the money good bye.

REPUTABLE brokers charge a commission OUT OF THE PROCEEDS.

The upfront fee companies have NO INTENTION of providing any services to you!

aiseri

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a better offer

We own a Sapphire membership in Raintree. This is a 2 bed Easter, Christmas or Santa Samana in any of the facilities. Meritage offered me $40,200 for it, but my wife won't part with it. I told them we really loved it and paid more for it as well as upgraded it about 4 years ago. The offer was too low. Meritage Management offered to increase the corporate offer to $61,700 and sent me paperwork.

That is why I am sending you this note. If anybody wants to offer me just 5% more ($64,785), we would be willing to part with our wonderful timeshare.

johnak

Reaction score
I am hoping that you aren't going to send Mertiage any money. They will ask for uprfront fees from an escrow comany. Once you sen them some, you can kiss your bucks ggodbye. You will never see a penny and you will still have your timeshare

jacopolo

Reaction score
Meritage Management Timeshare Looks like a Scam

If its too good to be true it is. I have spoken to Meritage Management reps twice and they keep increasing their offer. There are thousands of people trying to sell timeshare for a fraction of what they are offering. It just smelled bad and now I know it is bad.
Check out these posts. http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=18092

hobkjoe

Reaction score
Timeshare Re-sell

After trying to rent or sell my timeshare in Puerto Vallarta via Executive Properties, I thought I was destined to hold on to this property. Just after inquiring with the Buganvilias Resort earlier this year, I got a call from a guy in Richmond, VA. He said he was representing Madison and Weiss. He made an offer that I later decided to pass on because of feedback from your members. Just the other day, I got another call from Meritage Management. Same stuff. No upfront money but they were pushing the re-selling of my property in PV. They already had a buyer. This time, I saw the name of this company on your site. Don't know if all of these companies are working together and exchange names of prospective customers/victims.

P.S. Property owners/management, i.e. Sheraton, should be held responsible for housing the timeshare sales offices that offer these so-called deals to dumb people like me.