• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[merged-RCI Bk.] No European Resorts or Even MAPS??? - New 2009 RCI Weeks Directory

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention to RCI and what's going on with them recently. Today, I received an RCI book of resorts. It's labeled "The Ultimate Vacation Guide" for RCI weeks subscribing members. It's 244 pages. Earlier books I've received were about twice the thickness...what's going on?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got mine today also. I did notice they got rid of the little demand bar that was in all the resort descriptions, that's now on the main section page.

I just glanced at a few sections, didn't drop any resorts in those areas.

KevJan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also just got mine yesterday and was soooo disappointed in its size. However, as I leafed through it, I discovered that it only contained the resorts on this side of the globe. International destinations are to be found at RCI.com. It made me feel better to figure this out, I thought they had dropped resorts.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unbelieveably small. don't throw away your old editions.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was so upset the other day because my old one must have gone into the recycling bag. I don't like using the online directory very much. I have not gotten the new one.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a magazine, not a catalogue...
Connie

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has # resorts available decreased?

Is everyone saying the volume of resorts for weeks owners hasn't decreased? Is there a different exchange book for points owners?

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There seemed to be more resorts moved to the section at the rear of each area for limited availability. They take up less space since you don't have details.

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was distraught. I look forward to getting that RCI catalog like I used to anticipate the Sears Wish Book when I was was a kid. It was like having Christmas cut in half. Oh well, my 401(k) is down almost that much too....:hysterical:

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed too. They get smaller and less informative each new edition. I still hold on to my 2000-2001 wish book, and refer to the newer ones for updated phone numbers, new resorts, etc.
What a let-down!

Dori

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is everyone saying the volume of resorts for weeks owners hasn't decreased? Is there a different exchange book for points owners?

Yes it has points resorts for an area, then lists all the weeks resorts for that same area just after it.

In the last version the points resorts spaces were bigger (6 per page) and the weeks resort spaces were smaller (8 per page).

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I used to use it but now use the online edition mostly.
I suspect that is what RCI's market research showed for most so they shrunk it
What the heck that is the "Greener" Solution it saves paper and a tree. :clap:

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score

Totally agree. I have kept the last three since it has less resorts every year and now it only includes USA, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean. I also have an old european addition that I have kept for the great information and pictures listed that we can no longer see unless you check the on line directory.:hi: :shrug:

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got mine yesteday. I noticed that some caribbean resorts are not listed even though they are still online. Two that are always available online are listed under limited availability. Go figure!!!

Suzanne

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be shook up too if I had ever looked at last year's book after the day I received it. I'll keep last year's book for another year just in case. ;)

JEFF H

Reaction score
I don't like the new format.
Some resorts like the Royal Mayan Cancun are no longer listed even in the limited availability section. They do however show Royal Mayan on the Map.
Being greener is all fine and good.
I'M getting a little tired of companies claiming they are being greener when what they are really doing is cutting Service level for customers and reducing their costs.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lots of resorts that formerly were featured with photo and descriptions are now listed in fine print under "Limited Availability". Hey, at least RCI is admitting that affiliated resorts have limited availability to members/exchangers. After all, RCI wants to provide ample supply to their rental outlets and other sectors where they can maximum their profit.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
One good thing came from it. Thanks to the thinner paper, more resorts per page and fewer resorts pictured, I will take this book with me when I go to Vacation Village at Weston this March, to share with family. The other books were too big and heavy to drag along.

I thought I would be angrier than I am, but everybody is going online nowadays, so I don't blame them for making the book so small. Oh yes, one other thing -- I didn't renew my membership, so the last thing they did for me was mail that book. ;)

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
[merged] No European Resorts or Even MAPS??? - New 2009 RCI Weeks Directory in Print

We just received our new "2009 Directory of Affiliated Resorts | RCI Weeks." It's down from 404 pages to just 244, only the thickness of a typical magazine. And here's why...

It now ONLY includes affiliated locations in Canada, the U.S.A., Mexico and the Caribbean. :(

There is ONE two-page spread that mentions the existance of affiliated resorts ("see RCI.com") in Central & South America, Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia, Australia... but NO MAPS, no line item listings, nothing about them in the alphabetical listings at the back. I miss the maps... it was what made it a wish book for considering a future tour of Europe. :rolleyes:

I realize most things are going paperless and cost-saving, greener efforts are a good thing. But we actually pull out our print directory whenever we're planning to travel with friends and we want to discuss options with them over coffee or dinner. So we do make good use of our print directory. Gathering 6 or more people around a laptop isn't quite the same (sloooow) and it's not even an option if there's no wireless wherever we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

ljwhit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that myself and definitely agree. Just last night we were talking about possibly Spain next year and dahhhhh......where do I look? Off to the computer except internet service was down!!

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if developer timeshare salepeople will be showing this skinny-minnie version to their potential "victims" during a sales presentation. One of the main reasons clueless people decide to purchase a timeshare at the inflated developer price is the implied "promise" that owners will be able to exchange into great resorts world-wide. Showing this shrunken RCI book will not have the same impact. Maybe that's a good thing.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if developer timeshare salepeople will be showing this skinny-minnie version to their potential "victims" during a sales presentation. One of the main reasons clueless people decide to purchase a timeshare at the inflated developer price is the implied "promise" that owners will be able to exchange into great resorts world-wide. Showing this shrunken RCI book will not have the same impact. Maybe that's a good thing.

LOL, Jennie, that is what got our interest! Not from a developer, but from another couple at the resort where we were staying. They showed us this very thick book and said we could exchange everywhere in the world...not sure they were that savvy themselves at the time.

They had the best location on the property compared to our hotel-like unit. So that sunk in, and then I found out a friend was exchanging low-cost resales for great vacations. Bingo.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
So That's Why The Timeshare Sellers Keep Using The Worn-Out R. C. I. Books.

At the most recent timeshare sales presentations we've attended (Virginia, Florida), the RCI books were dog-eared & well worn. But the worn books were also world-wide, creating the impression that RCI timeshare owners can trade into "like" resorts anywhere any time.

I imagine the timeshare sellers will stick with the old books till the bindings fall apart rather than switching to the new skinny-minny versions.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The smart developers will then demand that RCI provide them with the European and Pacific editions of the directory as well. Three books to show should be impressive.

Being ''green'' is an excuse to stick it to the average Joe these days, whether it is RCI skimping on their directory or the UK socking air travellers with a massive ''save the planet'' air ticket tax. It makes me want to puke when I hear it. It is like an airline announcing ''enhancements'' and customers know they are going to be hosed.