• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[MERGED] Airbnb & Wyndham Targeting Wyndham Timeshare Owners Who Rent on the AIRBNB Platform

Reaction score

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Airbnb is too hard to make work for timeshares. I was one and done for me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A bigger question, what is Wyndham doing with the information they may be receiving? While the terms seem to give AirBnB the right to disclose certain information, ti doesn't necessarily mean they do.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
trying to find commercial renters and close them down.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect that is what they would want to do, perhaps what may have lead to some of the letters that went out earlier this year. Though I suspect that Wyndham has enough information from their own data that they really don't need tech companies like AirBnB to provide information.

Reaction score
VRBO did this with Wyndham earlier this year and now they have expanded to AIRBNB. Michael Brown is on a mission to shut Mega Renters down'
and he also knows , Wyndham cannot compete with the ever growing Airbnb Platform so he got in bed with them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is interesting that AirBnB is using some Club Wyndham resort and room photos on their listings. Are photos provided by the host and it is the host that is just shagging them from the Club Wyndham photos and providing them to AirBnB?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that AirBnB is using some Club Wyndham resort and room photos on their listings. Are photos provided by the host and it is the host that is just shagging them from the Club Wyndham photos and providing them to AirBnB?

Yes, photos are provided by the listing host. They Google for attractive photos of what they are renting out, and the commercial photos Wyndham provides are generally the most attractive.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I suspect that is what they would want to do, perhaps what may have lead to some of the letters that went out earlier this year. Though I suspect that Wyndham has enough information from their own data that they really don't need tech companies like AirBnB to provide information.

True, Wyndham has the information but it some of it may be ambiguous. I could claim that a guest confirmation was provided to family members or friends, i.e., non-commercial.

Listings on Airbnb are unquestionably commercial. So are listings on RedWeek.com, Koala, etc., but without an agreement between Wyndham and the listing host, Wyndham can't reliably tie a listing to a particular owner. Hence, we may see additional agreements like the Wyndham-Airbnb agreement.

Wyndham's actions are becoming borderline tyrannical.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure what AirBnB has to gain from such an arrangement? I mean they are turning their hosts in and in the end will lose quality listings at premier resorts. They don't get commission on listings they will no longer get. So how is Wyndham able to strong arm them into such an arrangement? Paying them for the data. I don't see AirBnB just handing the data over for free.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am sure Wyndham is paying them.
I hope it is a lot. Seems kind of short sighted. At some point Wyndham will no longer need the data and payment will stop. Then AirBnB has neither the payment or the owner to rent their unit.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would think that Wyndham would be interested in using AirBnB as a portal for their own rental program for non-hotel properties. The clientele using AirBnB is inclined toward those types of properties, not hotel rooms. It's also in many ways a younger demographic - I think of my kids who use AirBnB or VRBO for almost all of their travels, and would never go Wyndham to look for properties. So getting onto AirBnB gets Wyndham into a market they aren't reaching.

Also, if they start placing their rental inventory on AirBnB, that will generate sales leads for them in that same market/demographic, where they likely have little traction right now.

Of course, they also would like to shut down their owners who are commercially renting Wyndham on AirBnB, because those owners are now their competition.

AS for AirBnB, it's just more of their continuing evolution from their beginnings as a hip site to link hosts and travelers into just another full service travel site, as they outgrow their original business model and local governments make that model increasingly difficult for AirBnB and the "hosts".

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I hope it is a lot. Seems kind of short sighted. At some point Wyndham will no longer need the data and payment will stop. Then AirBnB has neither the payment or the owner to rent their unit.

I agree with your "short-sighted" comment. Sooner or later, the milk cow goes dry.

I wonder what percentage of Airbnb's listings (or revenue) are from timeshares? The site certainly isn't timeshare-friendly. Maybe Airbnb isn't terribly concerned about the loss of some timeshare listings. Again, perhaps short-sighted but the less revenue from timeshares the less likely Airbnb would mourn its loss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wyndham is going after every rental site out there to eliminate Mega Renters. Wyndham started a test market for rentals on VRBO and now they have expanded to AIRBNB and I am sure more sites will follow. It's the wrath of Michael Brown( he is the puppet master).

Reaction score
A bigger question, what is Wyndham doing with the information they may be receiving? While the terms seem to give AirBnB the right to disclose certain information, ti doesn't necessarily mean they do.
Wyndham is paying AIRBNB, no doubt and the plan is for all timeshare owners to opt into their terms of service not knowing after that they're screwed and Wyndham is in control

Reaction score
That is correct, Sandy. They want AIRBNB to turn Wyndham Host Owners in and Brian Chesky wants $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Leave the Host behind and roll with the developers like Wyndham.

Reaction score
Wyndham Owners will get a message to agree to the terms and most Owners will opt in not knowing they did it and they won't read any of the small print and that's what AIRBNB wants

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I believe this is connected to Travel and Leisure. There's a long game at play here.

Reaction score
Yes, long play and another round of letters just got sent out to owners. Wyndham being Wyndham
Slowly creeping up on the others that still think they can rent.

KimmieM

Reaction score
Yes, long play and another round of letters just got sent out to owners. Wyndham being Wyndham
Slowly creeping up on the others that still think they can rent.
Wyndham encouraged rentals to sell more points. What has changed?

Reaction score
Nothing has changed, they still do it to this day. Wyndham employees are buying up resales on Ebay to rent.

KimmieM

Reaction score
Nothing has changed, they still do it to this day. Wyndham employees are buying up resales on Ebay to rent.
You have a source for this information? Wyndham employees buying resales for themselves or are they buying for Wyndham? It makes no sense that Wyndham would buy anything as they can take back for free with thier exit program. It also is more profitable for Wyndham if they sell it at $200/1000 points.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Like I mentioned before of what I overheard the front desk commenting on the multi billion purchase of all the rental sites... VRBO.. REDWEEK..ETC...Does anyone know if this is true?"

I made a post , above , a while back and everyone seems to think this was an impossible task and highly unlikely... Maybe this is what they were talking about...