• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Melbourne Australia

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We will be there for a week about this time next year. We will be staying at the Wyndham near city center. Any suggestions for restaurants, things to do, etc. Will we need a rental car?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We stayed in an AirBnB for several days in Melbourne and enjoyed the city. We didn't rent a car as we like to walk and it was very easy to get around. However, we did rent a car for one day, so we could drive down the Great Ocean Road to see the 12 Apostles. It was a long drive, but well worth it for us. That was probably the highlight of our stay there. There are also guided tours if you don't want to drive.

Have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends how far you want to go. Totally agree on the 12 Apostles (I believe this is the new MVCI picture they show in the lobbies), but they have bus tours too. If you are in the central business district and are not used to very strange intersections (hook turns) and driving on the left side to boot, I would not drive there.

Definitely do not "need" a rental car. I had it easy, my friend in Melbourne and his family drove me around!

Lots of mass transit too. I didn't get to go to an Australian Rules Football game though, was high on my list they just were not playing that week.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
No problem on driving the other side of the Road. I have driven in Australia, New Zealand, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problem on driving the other side of the Road. I have driven in Australia, New Zealand, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

But have you ever encountered a hook turn? I believe it only exists in Australia in CBD in Melbourne, nowhere else in the country! I am sure you could do it, but, it's very confusing if you have not encountered it.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/turning

Look to the hook turn section. If you are ok with driving in the CBD, then, I would always get a car just so you are free to do anything you want when you want where you want.

You will very much enjoy your trip I am sure, it's a great place to visit. My friend who lives there tells me it's projected to overtake Sydney and become the largest city in Australia before too long.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't bother with a car except for the great ocean road, took a bus to see the penguins as discussed on WMowners.Com.

I really enjoyed the aussie rules football game. I introduced myself to the guy next to me and he explained the rules and strategy during the first half of the game. The second half he was too intent on watching to talk. Neat experience for sure, and not that expensive as the stadium was huge.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't bother with a car except for the great ocean road, took a bus to see the penguins as discussed on WMowners.Com.

I really enjoyed the aussie rules football game. I introduced myself to the guy next to me and he explained the rules and strategy during the first half of the game. The second half he was too intent on watching to talk. Neat experience for sure, and not that expensive as the stadium was huge.

Yes, it's a very fast game and just plain wild. I've been watching here in the US for 30 years or so, as long as I can recall, on whatever channel I could find it on. Yes, I remember the penguins now too. The architecture around the city is nice as well.

If you are a museum sort, we did enjoy the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre. We wanted to learn more about that history.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We will be there for a week about this time next year. We will be staying at the Wyndham near city center. Any suggestions for restaurants, things to do, etc. Will we need a rental car?

I believe Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Greece. Lots of Greek restaurants and bakeries -- we happened to hit it at Greek Orthodox Easter so it was fun seeing and sampling the holiday pastries. Seeing the little penguins come out of the water was amazing, so be sure not to miss that.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only been there on a cruise stop, but it was a lovely city. our cruise featured several NZ stops, so there were lots of Aussies among the passengers and we befriended a Melbourne couple. Got to know their city vicariously. A favorite memory was a HUGE flea market called (iirc) Queen's Market. DW had to leave there with yet more shoes.

Jim

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Melbourne's Central Business District (CBD) is best on foot.

MelbournecityV.jpg

We enjoyed the Free Walking Tour the first day we were there (walking a mile or two on sidewalks and cobblestones).
https://www.imfree.com.au/melbourne/sights/

Look closely in the first picture below--that's our guide in the green shirt leading a group of 15 or so.
5Y8F4MouNybogQuIiu6ev4lxDPX6MxsGGiqo9E_F-wu9na02zn0C9MJYnWX1Lg-txwscmXoOs9lrzpB3cGsdS4nfEe6aK3ArtSLHth7zXms0KugkSIdiwS-aTOnA9jGsJ6yDAUMJzo0cX2fWzSuXAJc1VfbHYGn3s_qz1fHocxsQ8ROehIUguESnU3iTq3IRZWLsAUu-0gIKY8KJDYOXy4msc3yb5P08ayN0VtAj8JU0zkQ3CX7YH7f-UPdHSwI0w1nOZnU-p4Dxo5vKhLnPdjuUmM5VgwxLwwfMnRRJ_zIY3SFE6C5ymPTkzHPElEFH6gJW6vJnOpzL0plTwTGU8w4czsbozfM8kyzpLUI4JqOvLUymyvY6UQBUKX0o73pkE9kbIHibjo3v9rqzQd9yQwg4vzj9M9KF1cqN1bA3bGjfB3-NfZEnPWFgfbubD-IQZeloIL0Js_wAIXxBNp5taWgO_P0PsgD3_cBvMESQEQJ8RPLJzNDpmV6FfgsLkXubAJqjsvYKeDa-YA9wEe5svkRxuiKsdUnFym0UmE_DNOH1W8snDEO53MYQ_tjfrDu76p90jdBN_CoetrQgzhZsdA-xFWUbN75of_Q--3BaEfkT1rZor9hFyHJmSzEC6qzQbDPqyltURVXJ-8_oF1QZqzC7JawOR1RB=w2102-h1402-no

aL7TbcbhnU3jbddnAql1EFF2ob_t0v80Zvx-eUSWf6bX6FFIyPrBwWL1cwj_iHVdBpwdWYBfDW3GX-mDSFRMiMe8lWhGFVHFmu2JTGvcMW60MU81a3UqvqpZKAWcJTx50o671sdcY0HW4-8RbzN2pGBIqFiEhLpxbhhs9ghgig3aQ_r-kpqQtErws9Yr8XFMvwD19Eu9o8QOjV4mERehKHSgNgomNsfDjD2cgs46hUCFHxGAuaEY6suTfTQXlKjx0-zbXm0GrWLcrY5Wl6xQAD6Ksfy8han46fqoXDeCSkcQBOyoiAEwzue9rrGpNbi4Ll0L4mqrX9tNnPaJa1ysZbk0_2E-csmP_r9paQ0LHCC-uL6XExRt03QhygVu18LHZmtPTP2FCuHEUkG7gslXXgkFCK2_-5AYKm2FmKrYANJaNZK47wpULDMf6z_basHYgulK_lRx6eo4hccKLHjuYdwgmeI7KTridW8Poq_ijc6ANwzJRKGXwtH_ChFE181N0VOiPh-5ZMnPBjB2fbcA3paQAekNJ3JxYbnoE5JmOOMxo5JRII1A0Zq9f0tVXGTYDCLOaehZDj-uLBJYCrC447dL_I_Vn2kaidexykTK04uQLupDFmFdimID_F5NBFPep9rcP_9bDIudSzCbIX2WJM6mG4SWq76l=w1456-h2184-no

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Thanks to all.