• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare Annual Enrollment Period coming up!

Reaction score
FYI, for anyone on Humana Medicare Advantage plans - or considering it - they are sending out health test kits. The page talks about calling them, but in a week, they're sending them out proactively. Their take is, get it done and find out if something is going wrong, that way they can be treated before it gets bad.

As always, I can sign you up if you're turning 65, or later this year for AEP.

TS

Brett

Reaction score
FYI, for anyone on Humana Medicare Advantage plans - or considering it - they are sending out health test kits. The page talks about calling them, but in a week, they're sending them out proactively. Their take is, get it done and find out if something is going wrong, that way they can be treated before it gets bad.

TS

interesting, I have a Human supplement plan

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

TS

What is AEP? The robo sharks started circling last week and at least once a day we get another Medicare call (and inexplicably Cliff feels he needs to track me down to talk to/hang up on the caller) -- I turn 65 in December.

Reaction score
See page 1 :oops:

AEP = Annual Enrollment Period, 10/15 - 12/07 yearly when everyone can change their plans. Or keep it. As I mentioned somewhere, you can enroll between September 1 and March 30 (Initial Enrollment Period).

TS

PS. THe "See page 1" is a joke seeing as the site is chock full of information in around 10 pages :)

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just started Medicare with a Supplement (Plan G) in March.
I like how at the doc's check-out desk, I don't have to pull out
a CC anymore this year (having met the nominal deductible).

But the Drug Plan's $435 deductible for brand-Rx's was a pain.
I paid in full with my first refill of the drug, but I was prepared.

Reaction score
In some cases, generics can save $$$ but only if they are available. For instance, my dad is on a certain Brand-Name drug that does not have a generic yet. Or, the other option is in AEP, add up your year of both premiums and drug costs, then talk to an agent (like myself) and we could see if another PDP will save money.

TS

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your area (I am in Florida), but for 2020, Humana is rolling out a revised "WalMart" PDP. You can call Humana directly, an agent can get you set up on a less-expensive plan. The whole "WalMart" is just a saying, that it is usually the least expensive plan. *In addition*, you can save more by signing up for the Humana mail-order pharmacy (does not include specialty or narcotics), where 3 month generics are less than $5.00. Humana can point you in the right direction on both.

TS
It's called Humana Walmart Value RX Plan(PDP). Here in Ohio the premium is $13.20/month and my thyroid meds are $1.00 for 30 day supply or $3.00 for a 90 day supply.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's called Humana Walmart Value RX Plan(PDP). Here in Ohio the premium is $13.20/month...

We used to have the "Walmart" plan, but switched to WellCare Wellness ($13.20/month).
Even though we had to pay a deductible+copay for my brand-name, it was equivalent.
It offered Publix as a preferred pharmacy, which was more convenient to us.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We did the same as the Walmart plan was going from $15 to $29 for some reason. But the WellCare plan was 13.20, covered all the same things, and the preferred local pharmacy was a small local Ralphs that is a lot easier to use. (California)

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the same as the Walmart plan was going from $15 to $29 for some reason. But the WellCare plan was 13.20, covered all the same things, and the preferred local pharmacy was a small local Ralphs that is a lot easier to use. (California)
So my plan is basically the same. Walmart is within walking distance from my home, so very convenient, but I generally use the Humana mail-order, which is even more convenient

Reaction score
I may have mentioned it somewhere in all my posts, but earlier this year, Humana raised the price on their original "WalMart" PDP. That was so they could create a NEW "WalMart" PDP. If you're in the hunt for an inexpensive PDP, Humana's low-cost PDP (they use "WalMart" more for marketing, but WalMart is one of their preferred pharmacies) is available to those who can switch.

Personally, I do not suggest WellCare, but if you find their plans are better than Humana/Aetna/AARP United Healthcare/BCBS, go ahead and enroll or stay with them. Essentially, a couple years ago, my dad (who just turned 86) was hospitalized a couple times due to severe infections. After the second stay, WellCare denied his stay (ICU for a week, then regular hospital for a week, then a week in rehab) because they claimed he did not follow doctor's orders. The family appealed, and are obviously not paying more than the Medicare deductible. Once he got out of rehab, I changed him to Humana, he has no complaints other than denying a doctor-prescribed Rx (I let him know how to appeal that). So for me, I won't, but if you still want it, be ready to appeal of any denials.

TS

Reaction score
Anyway, in October (if you have Medicare currently), you may want to look into switching Medicare Advantage plans. I've looked into the 2021 plans, they are all cheaper! Low/no premiums, lower copays, etc. I doubt Medicare Supplements are going down in price since they're regulated by your state. And for Diabetics, like I mentioned before, many PDPs and Medicare Advantage plans have Diabetes-specific plans that will cut Insulin prices to a maximum $35 as I mentioned before.

TS

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Anyway, in October (if you have Medicare currently), you may want to look into switching Medicare Advantage plans. I've looked into the 2021 plans, they are all cheaper! Low/no premiums, lower copays, etc.

I've had a PPO Advantage plan since I started on Medicare, first with Blue Cross, then with Humana. The premium is affordable, and the extra benefits help a lot. The $0 premium plans are all HMOs, which I would never choose. Both companies are much less expensive than supplement plans and include prescriptions. The PPO plans include every hospital in the Chicago area and a huge list of doctors.

I can't say enough good things about the Humana plan. After the first year, the copays went down and the quarterly OTC amount went up. This year it's waving the $5 copay for primary docs. My plan also comes with $200 vision/year, dental (not a lot because my dentist isn't in network, but it helps), and gift-card payments for wellness exams like mammograms, blood tests, flu shots, etc. Plus the three prescriptions I take are free through its mail-order pharmacy. I've had to pay some for X-rays, but I'm still way ahead financially compared with a supplement plan.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've had a PPO Advantage plan since I started on Medicare, first with Blue Cross, then with Humana....

We like our Supplement plans (F+G) 'cuz after the deductible, everything is -0-.
We don't miss the extra premium. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Supplement and Advantage plans have been debated here since time began.

Reaction score
More news from Medicare... up until 2020, if you had End-Stage Renal Disease (aka kidney failure), you could not join a Medicare Advantage plan. It is the only pre-existing condition, meaning you could only get a supplement (which can be expensive). Until now. Starting in 2021, Medicare will allow anyone with ESRD to join an MAPD.

TS

Reaction score
If you are on a Humana MAPD, and you were diagnosed with ESRD (Kidney failure - producing less than 15% and requiring Dialysis), DaVita is no longer in-network effective January 1. If you are going now, you can continue until the end of the year *unless* they work out an agreement.

TS

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Given the advent of "Open Season" on Medicare clients,
perhaps it's time to start a new Medicare '21 thread.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have the lower cost Humana Walmart plan, but neither of us takes any meds. We are thinking about changing to the $6.60 per month SilverScript SmartRX. Since we have to have a plan or there is a penalty, this could be a fit for us.

If something costs too much, we will try GoodRX. I did that for a prescription cream the dermatologist prescribed last month and saved 66%. That was the first prescription I have had to fill in 9 years.

If something changes and we do start taking prescription meds, we can change again next year.

We have UHC Plan F for Healthcare. It works great.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have the lower cost Humana Walmart plan, but neither of us takes any meds. We are thinking about changing to the $6.60 per month SilverScript SmartRX. Since we have to have a plan or there is a penalty, this could be a fit for us.

If something costs too much, we will try GoodRX. I did that for a prescription cream the dermatologist prescribed last month and saved 66%. That was the first prescription I have had to fill in 9 years.

If something changes and we do start taking prescription meds, we can change again next year.

We have UHC Plan F for Healthcare. It works great.
I have compared pricing through GoodRX and the one Martin Sheen advertises for (can't remember the name) and found in both cases we did better with our part D plan. We have SilverScript, which had been affiliated with CVS, now it's being done by Aetna. They promise no changes. And we are paying more than the $6.60/month you are quoting.