• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare Annual Enrollment Period coming up!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If peace of mind, not cost, is your primary concern, insure to the maximum. This will generally be traditional Medicare + a Supplement + Plan D. If cost is an impediment, improvise and take your chances...

George

Reaction score
If peace of mind, not cost, is your primary concern, insure to the maximum.

Not only does this apply to Medicare, this also applies to both Life Insurance and Auto (Property and Casualty) Insurance. If you just get the absolute minimum, then file a claim (doctor, car accident, death), there will be unpaid bills.

TS

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne, do you have plan F or G for a supplemental?
I went on my state teachers retirement supplemental and it seems like I’m getting little bills here and there. No major problems, just regular visits etc.
We put my husband on Plan G with Anthem so he could have the Silver Sneakers, but if Plan F is better I want it switched

Reaction score
Here is the policy with Medicare Supplement Part-F. When they say "new people with Medicare", they mean anyone who is newly eligible (65+ or disabled-for-24-months in late 2019). But the last sentence "may be eligible" means you should call Anthem BCBS to find out. Essentially, those who are on Medicare Supplements (like Part-G) who want Plan-F for 2020 is up to the insurer. On the other hand, "Silver Sneakers" may be available on other MedSupp plans, and most MAPD HMO (and some PPO) plans offer it. Personally, I suggest sticking with Part-G, since your premiums will go up if you are able to switch. An agent will let you know, since issue/attained age will determine your premiums :ponder:

This post is so long (nothing wrong with that with all the info posted here) that I don't know if this was posted before :)

TS

Reaction score
UPDATE! Currently, there are special enrollment periods if you want to change your Medicare plans. Between 01/01/20 - 03/31/20 you can make ONE change to your Medicare Advantage plan. It's like if you looked over your plan but disliked it, or if your doctor dropped the insurer, you can make a single change for the rest of the year. If you have only Part-A and you wish to join Part-B, and you're past your initial enrollment period, this enrollment period is also for it, but Part-B won't be effective until July. If you have Medicare Supplement, you can change, but you're subject to underwriting, and you're liable to lose pre-existing conditions. If you have Medicare PFFS and a Part-D plan, you are simply out of luck - unless you qualify for another special enrollment period.

As I mentioned before, if you're turning 65 this year, you have 3 months before your birth month, your birth month, and 3 months after your birth month, to sign up. Everyone should sign up for Medicare Part-A at 65, Part-B and Part-D can wait if you have Medicare-compliant group health insurance. There are plenty of other Special Enrollment Periods, if you think you may qualify, talk to an agent. I work in Florida, but I may be able to refer you to a local agent in your state, for enrollment questions or setting you up. If you live in Massachusetts, I am eligible to become an agent, but because it's expensive to become an agent up there, I would ask for a guaranteed sale (don't ask for me to become an agent, then go to another agent to sign up).

TS

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Thanks, your a wealth of knowledge and I wish you serviced MI as I would sign up through you. I’m 6 years away from 65. The goal is that I will retire In December of my 65th year and then move to FL for retirement.

Since I will still be working when I turn 65 I will know to sign up for part A.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I went on my state teachers retirement supplemental and it seems like I’m getting little bills here and there. No major problems, just regular visits etc.
We put my husband on Plan G with Anthem so he could have the Silver Sneakers, but if Plan F is better I want it switched

What is Silver Sneakers?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Plan F

I don't know much, or really anything, about Silver Sneakers. But, I thought it was only available with some Medicare Advantage plans, not with a Medicare Supplement. It doesn't even look like Silver Sneakers is available where I live. I do know the gym I go to is "covered" by some Medicare Advantage plans.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We had a Blue Cross Medicare Cost plan when we first signed up for Medicare and when they got rid of the Cost plan a year ago, we signed up for a Blue Cross Medicare Supplement plan. Both plans had Silver and Fit or Silver Sneakers, which include free gym membership. I like Silver Sneakers better because you don't have to commit to any one gym. There's a plethora of gyms supported in our area, so we can go to which ever one we want on any given day.

Reaction score
Essentially, some MedSupp plans are throwing in Silver Sneakers plans, while most Medicare Advantage HMOs have that benefit. As an insurance agent, we never say "free", because someone always pays. In this case, Medicare plans pay it :cheer:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Essentially, some MedSupp plans are throwing in Silver Sneakers plans, while most Medicare Advantage HMOs have that benefit. As an insurance agent, we never say "free", because someone always pays. In this case, Medicare plans pay it :cheer:
Thanks for the info. As I said in my earlier post looks like Silver Sneakers isn't available in my area, so for me it's a non-issue.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed my silver sneakers membership. I go to the YMCA and take an aquacise class on Mondays, and I take an aqua Zumba class on Tuesday. I feel so good after both classes it’s amazing. With my silver sneakers card I don’t pay anything for the Y membership or the classes. Other facilities accept silver sneakers also like Planet Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Senior Centers

Reaction score
FYI, I finally was able to get some information where I am licensed and ready to sell products. Not only am I licensed in Florida, I am licensed in North Carolina and Washington (state). If you live in either of the 3 states, I can assist. In all other states, I can see if I can refer you to an agent in the area (no guarantees).

TS

Reaction score
I am not sure it was covered in the mounds of information in this post, but there is another federal health insurance that many may take: TriCare. If you are a vet and you're eligible for it, you can take it instead of Medicare without penalty (if you choose to take Medicare later in retirement). I know nothing about the benefits of taking TriCare over Medicare, but you can compare the two to see which one is better.

TS

Reaction score
It's been a few months and we're officially out of any enrollment periods. But there are always exceptions, which I may have mentioned in one of the 9 other pages.
  • Delayed Part-B = if you delayed taking Part-B at 65, then you sign up in January (Part-B), you can sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan in May for a July 1 effective date (coinciding with Part-B effective date).
  • Losing coverage = if you delayed taking full Medicare while you have a Group Policy (work), but you quit that plan, you can join a Medicare plan.
  • Moving = if you move from one zip code to another, you should switch plans, since your plan in one zip code may not be in your new zip code
  • Institutional = if you move into/out of a nursing home or jail, you can switch plans
  • Low-Income = if you receive assistance from the state and/or Social Security, you can switch plans once per quarter
  • Medicare Supplements have their own enrollment periods, and most likely you'll be subject to pre-existing conditions. I'm not sure about other states, but in Florida, those who are disabled or have End-Stage Renal Disease (kidney failure that requires transplant) must take a supplement as soon as they get Medicare, after the 7-month enrollment period (Guarantee Issue) they can not sign up for a supplement until they turn 65.
If you live in or moving to FL, NC, or WA, I can help you personally (Send me a private message). But, I suggest going through the previous 216 messages to see if your question is answered there. PLUS, thanks to Coronavirus, I can sign you up for any Medicare Advantage plan online, all insurers highly suggest not meeting face-to-face to sign up.

TS

Reaction score
*UPDATE*
Trying to figure out licensing in other states (aka non-resident health insurance licensing) is a HUGE pain! No state is the same, and MA is the most expensive. So, I don't want to get a license in another state without a guaranteed customer. It costs you nothing (Medicare pays our commissions).

If you have or will get Medicare in 2020, and you want me to be your agent (I can offer you Aetna, AARP United Healthcare, or Humana) send me a message. There is no guarantee I can become an agent in your state as I was licensed in most states in 2012 and they all expired (expired usually means the agent must start at the beginning).

TS

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read the first few pages then skipped to the end since there's so much information it's overwhelming. Here's my situation. My husband (59) and I currently have insurance through Independent Health via the NYS Marketplace. The last few years, due to our income level, our heath insurance premiums were refunded once we filed our income tax. I turn 65 this year in mid July. Since I started drawing Social Security at 62, the info I received from S.S. says I will be automatically enrolled in Parts A and B. I assume my present Independent Health coverage will overlap Medicare for the remainder of 2020, then I'll just have Medicare next year. I see no need for an Advantage Plan, and I'd like to avoid unnecessary Medicare supplement plans, considering we've been getting our insurance essentially free from NYS Marketplace. Can I just coast along on Parts A and B for the next few years? Aside from arthritis, I have no health issues that I'm aware of, and I'm not on any medications.

Reaction score
Can I just coast along on Parts A and B for the next few years? Aside from arthritis, I have no health issues that I'm aware of, and I'm not on any medications.
Not exactly. As soon as you turn 65, if you do not have comparable medical coverage, you must sign up for Parts A + B ($144/month) + D (premiums between $15-$35 per month for drugs). Or, to save money, get a $0 premium Medicare Advantage with Prescription Drugs (MAPD) plan. In that case, you would pay the Part-B premium ($144) only, with full medical benefits. If you take ONLY Parts A & B, no Part-D, you will begin accruing a Late Enrollment Penalty, which Medicare will bill you as soon as you sign up for a drug plan. That is 1% of the average premium for every month you do not take it, maxing out around $35/month.

For example, my dad took Medicare Parts A & B when he turned 65 in 1999. In 2005, Part-D was introduced (created and signed by Republicans), but he never took it. A couple years ago, he signed up for an MAPD, and Medicare tacked on around $35/month Late Enrollment Period until he dies or qualifies for a Low-Income Subsidy (LIS).

TS

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As a SS recipient, I was automatically enrolled in Parts A+B eff. the month I turned 65.
I received my Medicare card in the mail about 2-3 months before my start date.
I then set about looking for a Medigap (Supplement) + Drug plan on my own.
... BTW, your state's insurance agency may list company premiums.

Existing Insurance... which does not convert itself to a Medicare plan:
1) May be secondary to Medicare anyway. It won't pay what Medicare would have.
2) Won't flow thru or work w-Medicare, so separate claims will be needed.
3) Not enrolling in a plan within the initial period may result in higher premiums
.... (unless you qualify for a special enrollment period).
4) If Medicare thinks you have other insurance in force, it may deny claims.
... We had to show that DW's policy had been cancelled to get her 1st claim paid.

IOW, it is not a good substitute for a Medigap+Drug (or Advantage) plan.
Relying on it as such is beset with issues. I urge you to research the heck out of it.

Last edited:

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a SS recipient, I was automatically enrolled in Parts A+B eff. the month I turned 65.
In fact, I received my Medicare card in the mail about 2-3 months before my start date.
... Perhaps to make sure that I didn't go out and do it myself.

I then set about looking for a Medigap (Supplement) + Drug plan on my own.
... BTW, your state's insurance agency may list company premiums.

Existing Insurance (which does not convert to a Medicare plan):
1) Even if secondary to Medicare, it won't flow thru or work w-Medicare.
.... Not enrolling in a plan within the initial period may result in higher premiums
.... (unless you qualify for a special enrollment period).
B) If Medicare thinks you have other insurance in force, it may deny claims.
... We had to show them that DW's policy had been cancelled to get her 1st claim paid.

IOW, it is not a good substitute for a Medigap+Drug (or Advantage) plan and relying
on it as such is beset with issues. I suggest you research the heck out of that.

I have the card for parts A and B, and the info stated there’s nothing I need to do, I will be automatically enrolled when I turn 65. Personally, I’d rather skip Medicare and keep my present insurance plan, but from what you’re saying, that’s not an option, right? We’re all forced to have a government mandated Medicare plan whether we want it or not.

Reaction score
It is an option. But, Medicare Advantage only costs around $144 per month with full benefits and no/low deductibles. So, do your own math. Since they say you are automatically enrolled in Parts A & B, that means you're going to pay $144/month out of your SS check. I assume your NYS plan is equal to Medicare, and since you said you get it for free, you can do either. Either way (MAPD or NYS), you will be paying $144/month for healthcare.

TS

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It is an option. But, Medicare Advantage only costs around $144 per month with full benefits and no/low deductibles. So, do your own math. Since they say you are automatically enrolled in Parts A & B, that means you're going to pay $144/month out of your SS check. I assume your NYS plan is equal to Medicare, and since you said you get it for free, you can do either. Either way (MAPD or NYS), you will be paying $144/month for healthcare.

TS
Doesn't the monthly cost for a Medicare Advantage plan depend on a few things. Like where you live, who the carrier is, what the plan is? We opted for Supplemental Plans rather than Medicare Advantage. We felt it would give us more flexibility.

Reaction score
Supplements do give a lot of flexibility but with higher premiums. In most areas, you can get a PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) that allows you to choose your doctors, but ones that do not take your MAPD are slightly higher copays.

In another post, I gave a major reason to sign up for an MAPD from either Humana or United Healthcare: $0 copays for primary care doctors, mental health, and telemedicine for the rest of 2020. Supplements' copays are unchanged. Blue Cross Blue Shield is waiving copays only for telemedicine for 2020. Aetna is only waiving for Coronavirus diagnosis.

TS