• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare Annual Enrollment Period coming up!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I know I am hammering on about this, but I have thus far spoken with 4 different agents- 2 at via benefits and two at Empire BCBS and none of them know anything regarding my specific question- "when you move to another state with Medigap, will the insurance company adjust the rate once you notify them of the new zip code?

So much for agents- no offense to simpsontruckdriver- I know more than the ones I spoke to. I was an account executive for a health insurance company, so it is not like I am wet behind the ears- though I did not work with Medicare- I did commercial lines for large (and some small) employer groups many years ago.

Anyway, the VIA benefits agent said I should just call them after I move- have to get the Part D changed- that I knew- and then they will find me another M plan in NH. He said not to even call Empire. Ummm- NOT!

I did find something online that said to call the carrier 30 days before you move so they can tell you what your new rate will be. I mean- why change the plan and insurance carrier if you don't have to- especially if there is a possibility the rate will go down? That is what I am hoping for.

Also- not one of them even explained to me that Empire BCBS is the same company as Anthem BCBS (which is the equivalent in NH). I found this out on line myself. In fact- if I go on Empires website and put in the NH zip code, it immediately brings me to the Anthem website with the quotes! (Excellent website Empire has BTW)

So there you go- this is why I am on forums like this (and others) asking questions rather than depending on agents. One agent at BCBS simply told me he didn't know. Offered no help to find out. Was like talking to a dead rag.

For the life of me I don't understand how an agent would not know the answer to this simple question. It's not like people over 65 with a Medigap plan never move to another state!

And the customer service agents- reading a script that has nothing to do with anything. They cannot think for themselves. I had to tell one to stop dead in her tracks and just get me to someone who can answer the question. But no- they have to go through an entire script for 20 minutes (after your 10 minute phone menu) asking for all kinds of info like your name and address and date of birth, etc. - when all you have is a generic question-only to tell you they don't know anything.

Bottom line- when we move I am going to notify SS and the insurance carrier and then I am going to see what the rate is- hopefully they will be able to tell me- or I will wait for the bill- and then call VIA Benefits for the new Part D drug plan.

I have an appt on 11/20- via phone- I have to call VIA BENEFITS and speak to a particular agent. Yet when I was on the phone with them the other day an agent admitted that none of the agents have direct lines anyway and he could enroll me right then. Really? I could really just sign up on line for my husband and get it done, but I do want to know more about the HRA account. I might just call them againbefore 11/20 and get it done.

Meanwhile- I have done all the work and they will get the commission...Wait until I ask them about the drug plans and find out what they don't know....SMH....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand... I am not familiar with Blue Cross Blue Shield, and there are plenty of issues why I can't be appointed with them. MediGap plans for the subscriber is pretty simple on one point: the plans have the same benefit. But, different areas have different premiums and regulations on signing up. There's not much else I can say, other than sometimes the consumer has more information than the agent. And after the last couple posts here, I saw the same information: call them near the moving date to get your new premiums.

As a side note, I used to work for AARP/United Healthcare call center, so I know that scripts are to be followed, and most of them are required by CMS ("Medicare"). Essentially, "go with the flow", then ask away once everything is in their system. It stinks, but they're following federal regulations. Even as an independent agent, if I do a telephonic sign-up, I have to follow the script word-for-word. I know you were not calling to sign up, maybe there is a different customer service number?

TS

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I know I am hammering on about this, but I have thus far spoken with 4 different agents- 2 at via benefits and two at Empire BCBS and none of them know anything regarding my specific question- "when you move to another state with Medigap, will the insurance company adjust the rate once you notify them of the new zip code?

So much for agents- no offense to simpsontruckdriver- I know more than the ones I spoke to. I was an account executive for a health insurance company, so it is not like I am wet behind the ears- though I did not work with Medicare- I did commercial lines for large (and some small) employer groups many years ago.

Anyway, the VIA benefits agent said I should just call them after I move- have to get the Part D changed- that I knew- and then they will find me another plan in NH. He said not to even call Empire. Ummm- NOT!

I did find something online that said to call the carrier 30 days before you move so they can tell you what your new rate will be. I mean- why change the plan and insurance carrier if you don't have to- especially if there is a possibility the rate will go down? That is what I am hoping for.

Also- not one of them even explained to me that Empire BCBS is the same compnany as Anthem BCBS (which is the equivalent in NH. I found this out on line myself. In fact- if I go on Empires website and pout in the NH zip code, it immediately brings me to the Anthem website with the quites! (Excellent website Empire has BTW)

So there you go- this is why I am n forums like this (and others) asking questions rather than depending on agents. One agent at BCBS simply told me he didn't know. Offered no help to find out. Was like talking to a dead rag.

For the life of me I don't understand how an agent would not know the answer to this simple question. It's not like people over 65 with a Medigap plan never move to another state!

And the customer service agents- reading a script that has nothing to do with anything. They cannot think for themselves. I had to tell one to stop dead in her tracks and just get me to someone who can answer the question. But no- they have to go through an entire script for 20 minutes (after your 10 minute phone menu) asking for all kinds of info like your name and address and date of birth, etc. - when all you have is a generic question-only to tell you they don't know anything.

Bottom line- when we move I am going to notify SS and the insurance carrier and then I am going to see what the rate is- hopefully they will be able to tell me- or I will wait for the bill- and then call VIA Benefits for the new Part D drug plan.

I have an appt on 11/20- via phone- I have to call VIA BENEFITS and speak to a particular agent. Yet when I was on the phone with them the other day an agent admitted that none of the agents have direct lines anyway and he could enroll me right then. Really? I could really just sign up on line for my husband and get it done, but I do want to know more about the HRA account. I might just call them againbefore 11/20 and get it done.

Meanwhile- I have done all the work and they will get the commission...Wait until I ask them about the drug plans and find out what they don't know....SMH....
Hi MaryAnn,

You probably have already looked at the New Hampshire Medicare Supplemental Insurance - NH.gov Website. They have a PDF File that has a lot of info. Here's a copy and paste of some info that has some phone numbers you probably would be interested in:

upload_2019-11-3_8-49-16.pngNH.gov › 2019_medsupratesPDF
Web results
New Hampshire's Guide to Medicare Supplement Insurance - NH.gov
upload_2019-11-3_8-49-16.png

You may also contact the NH Insurance Department's Consumer Services Division at 1-800‐852‐3416 (option #2) to obtain updated plan and rate information. enrollment periods, please visit Medicare.gov, speak with a local agent or contact a state-certified, Medicare Counselor at ServiceLink.
(866-634-9412) .

Richard

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-3_8-49-16.png
    370 bytes · Views: 8
    626 bytes · Views: 9
    209 bytes · Views: 8
    1,021 bytes · Views: 8
    600 bytes · Views: 9
    626 bytes · Views: 9
    626 bytes · Views: 8
  • upload_2019-11-3_8-49-16.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-3_8-49-16.jpeg
    373 bytes · Views: 10
    600 bytes · Views: 9
    702 bytes · Views: 7
    531 bytes · Views: 8
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, Medicare's website - if you put in drug information - will give bad numbers. Several insurers have sent letters to CMS to get them to fix it, but as of now, I have not heard if they did or not. If you use the Medicare website, DO NOT put in drug info.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway, the VIA benefits agent said I should just call them after I move- have to get the Part D changed- that I knew- and then they will find me another M plan in NH. He said not to even call Empire. Ummm- NOT!
The agent said not to call Empire BCBS directly because they will stop receiving commission from the health insurance company. I would say do what you feel is right for you.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The agent said not to call Empire BCBS directly because they will stop receiving commission from the health insurance company. I would say do what you feel is right for you.

I wonder if that will also affect the employer HRA contribution then. We have to go through VIA Benefits to get that contribution and we most certainly are going through them. It is just we are moving right afterwards. We aren't going to be changing plans if the only thing the carrier is doing is changing the rate of the plan. if we need to change the plan altogether we would have VIA benefits do it. And we are having them change the Part D plan when we move.

See how convoluted things can become? This is why I have a headache. It should be pretty simple but not in this country. Government and insurance companies. What an awful mix. I hate them both..

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that will also affect the employer HRA contribution then. We have to go through VIA Benefits to get that contribution and we most certainly are going through them. It is just we are moving right afterwards. We aren't going to be changing plans if the only thing the carrier is doing is changing the rate of the plan. if we need to change the plan altogether we would have VIA benefits do it. And we are having them change the Part D plan when we move.

See how convoluted things can become? This is why I have a headache. It should be pretty simple but not in this country. Government and insurance companies. What an awful mix. I hate them both..
I high suspect the HRA contribution comes out from their commission. It is just that everyone wants a cut of the money. If you find a good agent it is worth using him/her but many agents out there just want their commission and once you are onboard you are pretty much ignored because they just want to move on to get the next customer. Right now we buy our health insurance plans directly with the insurers.

Reaction score
The way Medicare commissions work, the agent is paid by the money that Medicare gives the insurer. If you stay with your insurer for over a year, the agent is paid every year. If you call and talk to a call center, they are paid wages which may or may not come from your sale, but they are agents in your state. For instance, if you call Humana, their call center is in Phoenix AZ. United Healthcare's is in several states. Foreign? No, since most states require agents to be USA citizens.

TS

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot's Harbour Lake , Sheraton Vistana Villages
One TINY tidbit of politics. A week or so, President Trump stated in "heaven's waiting room" (The Villages in Florida) that he is signing an executive order increasing plans and dropping prices for 2020. The problem is, at least one of the providers I sell dropped prices and increased plans in July! It's best to listen to an agent, NOT politicians.

Anyway, it's time to sit down with an agent. AEP starts on October 15, but you can talk to an agent beforehand to go over what is new and such. You can enroll in a plan then, then if you change your mind find another, repeating if needed, but the plan you're "stuck with" is the one that you're enrolled in on December 7th at 23:59:59. Where I live/sell (Orlando area), I have insurers who sell Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) for $0 premiums, in addition to HMOs and Medicare Supplements.

TS
It's so confusing.....the monthly premium should be a percentage of your income , and it should cover everything , doctor's visit , hospital , drugs....etc....

Reaction score
That sounds like an idea, but not yet. If you make less than $1700/month, you can get assistance from Social Security ("Extra Help") and/or your state. If you make over $80000/year, your Part-B premiums are higher.

TS

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's so confusing.....the monthly premium should be a percentage of your income, and it should cover everything, doctor's visit, hospital, drugs....etc....

What about those who have no income per se, but live off their wealth/savings?

Reaction score
Agreed. Usually, if you signed up in 2018 and had MAPD in 2019, you may not benefit with a new plan *unless* your health/address changed. But, if you signed up for your MAPD before 2017, chances are the 2020 plans are cheaper and/or have more benefits.

TS

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing, Social Security looks at income from interest and such, as well as money in the bank.

TS
Not entirely true money about in the bank. Medicare IRMAA looks at income including interests and dividends but not assets. SS income tax also looks at total income.

My favorite ACA flaw is that it only looks at income and not assets. I was able to get maximum subsidies for premium and share of cost for max out of pocket when I had very little income for the year. $161 monthly premium and max out of pocket of $850 per year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have said money in interest-bearing bank accounts (like savings). So technically, you could have tons of money in a non-interest-bearing account to live on, and Social Security (SSA) won't see it. And yes, other assets are not seen. Essentially, I am an agent as well as a truck driver, I only have limited knowledge of how Social Security works. If someone makes less than $1700/month, I refer them to SSA and let them handle it (what is counted and what isn't).

TS

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
i am not understanding this. When does Medicare look at income? I thought the rates you see on line when you apply are the rates.

Reaction score
Medicare decides your rates when you apply close to your 65th birthday. If you make less than $1700, and you apply for Extra Help, Social Security will look at income to see if you qualify.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Medicare decides your rates when you apply close to your 65th birthday. If you make less than $1700, and you apply for Extra Help, Social Security will look at income to see if you qualify.

So when we choose this Medigap policy for my husband and apply they are going to ask for past income and the rate we see could be different? I mean- we are selecting it partially because of the rate.

(my husband was 65 in April and only applied for Part A at that time)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
SSA would look at your income on record, but your rates will change only if income exceeds $80000.

TS

I assume that is income reported on last year's w-2- AFTER the , etc. is taken out?

This is yet another confusing thing.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So when we choose this Medigap policy for my husband and apply they are going to ask for past income and the rate we see could be different? I mean- we are selecting it partially because of the rate.

(my husband was 65 in April and only applied for Part A at that time)
I've never had to provide income information when applying for a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan. I think what you may be confusing it with is how your Medicare Part B payment is determined. That goes by your income. When dh first started paying Medicare Part B (which is withheld from your Social Security) his payment was very high since he had worked recently. But when he went into the Social Security office and provided information showing he was no longer employed, the amount went down. When I became Medicare eligible since I had not worked for at least two years prior my payment was low.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What about those who have no income per se, but live off their wealth/savings?
They shuld pay a percentage of their yearly profit .

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Open enrollment season for Medicare can be confusing but worth the effort.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/opini...edicare-can-be-confusing-but-worth-the-effort.

Richard
It should be smooth and not Part A,B,C,D....etc , plus Medigap and suplementary indurance and penalties if you not signing up until x date....
I was just visiting Norway , working people pay 20% of their income and everything is covered.I'm not sure if they have to pay a premium after retirement , but I'm pretty sure it's only one( low!) payment .

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've never had to provide income information when applying for a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan. I think what you may be confusing it with is how your Medicare Part B payment is determined. That goes by your income. When dh first started paying Medicare Part B (which is withheld from your Social Security) his payment was very high since he had worked recently. But when he went into the Social Security office and provided information showing he was no longer employed, the amount went down. When I became Medicare eligible since I had not worked for at least two years prior my payment was low.

Oh ok. Thanks. That is interesting. So- hubby should go to the SS office if his premium is over the $144.30 per month (he is not taking SS until age 70 so we have to pay directly) and show proof that he is retired and no salary. I wonder what kind of proof you would need?

My premium should be low when the time comes since my last day of work was in 2018 and I am not eligible for Medicare until 2021.