• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medical Alert devices for elderly ?

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeking info on medical alert devices for an elderly relative. I am really put off by the "Call for pricing" with a lot of companies. Life Alert requires a three year contract which bothers me too. A lot could change in three years.

Any comments or advice ? Thanks.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
There are some Security Systems that include alert alarms for seniors. Look into some of those.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I've been looking into one for my dad who is recovering from falling down his stairs & fracturing his pelvis in Oct. Some types just have a button that needs to be pressed, but lots of others have some sort of sensor in them that can tell if the person fell & automatically calls the help center. That would be a great help if the person was unconscious (as my dad was) and cant press the button. Most have pendant style or wrist style and are waterproof.

The prices seem to be quite similar (at least in Canada) from the different companies. Now to convince Dad that it is a necessity at his age (85 in Feb) when he lives alone. :wall:

Good luck in your search!

~Diane

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes .. a lot changes with older people in 3 years plus the contract with many of these companies will be charging the estate for ALL 3 years plus YOU are renting the equipment. LOST EQUIPMENT has a BIG cost for YOU ( the estate) to pay after you find that out. And contracts may NOT transfer to another person ... like a sibling or a "internet friend" to use til the contract ends.

READ the fine print ... carefully.

My aunt has a wrist button .. after she fell and broke her hip ... just 2 weeks after moving into her apartment. "HER people" is NOT listen to me when I walked into the apartment and said: "NO, NO, NO. Table with ladder back chairs on wheels ... remove wheels and open up pathway. Area rug GOES away ... never put a rug on top of wall to wall rugs ... major tripping hazard."

The aide stood there and said, NO .. she (89 yo aunt) wants it like this." I told the aide, "I don't care! She will trip & fall ... breaking a HIP. Get it? Change it".

When she came back from rehab ... wheeled chairs moved and rug gone. And wearing a wrist button alert system ... off brand .. no name.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AARP Magazine always has full page ads for a cell phone with low charges for low usage. One of its features is one button to push in a Medical Emergency. I think it works similar to the other devices being discussed.

George

geriduffin

Reaction score
My mom is 85 and lives alone about a mile from me at a senior independent living community. I bought her a system called "GreatCall". It is a very good system. It works from Verizon Towers and operates like "OnStar". She can take it anywhere, to the store or just out for a walk, and call for help with the touch of a button if she is in trouble in any way. There is GPS tracking to locate her and you can buy a system that is waterproof and/or has the motion sensor that detects falling. Their website is www.greatcall.com and Walmart carries the units too. We are very happy with it and she feels very secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Phillips Lifeline is the industry leader. Most companies do not require a contract and goes by month to month.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Call is the one I was referring to. Advertised every month in the AARP Magazine. Dual purpose as it is both a phone and emergency alert.

George

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a Costco member, check out this one at Costco.com. Six months for $114.99. When the six months expire, I just call the company and ask to get the same rate for the next year. So far, they've honored that rate.

Mobile Medical Alert System
Features: Includes 6 Months of Service, Speakerphone Unit, Neck Pendant, Wrist Pendant, Charging Cradle and Emergency Lockbox

Item #926091

$25 manufacturer's discount** is valid 12/4/15 through 12/20/15. While supplies last.

Online Price$139.99
Less-$25.00
Your Price$114.99

Last edited:

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

My relative lost power yesterday and I could I could not get hold of her via her landline so drove 65 mile RT in the pouring rain to find her sitting in the dark with only candles for light. Talk about dangerous. She uses a walker. Her flashlights were dead. She would not come home with me. Fortunately she has her power back on now. She lives in a valley between two steep hills and gets no cell service.

So now I need to find something that does not depend on power.

Her husband passed away just a week ago so it is still too soon for her to wrap her head around much. She has no kids. She does not want to leave her home, but I think she is going to have to.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't give up on the one advertised on Costco.com. While it has the ability to be mobile, it doesn't have to be. It can be used in the home tied to a land line. My mom is legally blind and she cannot see to charge a device like a cell phone. She has this system and it is only tied to the land line.