• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MCO airport travel times

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm making plans to go down to Orlando the first week of June. I'm looking at a Wed return flight on AirTran at either 5:15p or 6:55p. For either being at Disney (probably Animal Kingdom) or Westgate Vacation Villas, can someone give me an idea what times I'd need to leave those places to make either flight? I'm not sure how travel times are to the airport from those two places, or how long it takes to go thru the airport (hoping to use a rollon and not have to checkin any bags, but not sure).

Thanks.

Jeff

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff-
I'd suggest that the minimum timing would be to leave for the airport an hour and a half before your flight time. Depending upon time of day and whether you're dropping off a rental car and the route that you take you may want to add some time (for instance the Beeline, Route 528, can be a longer commute than taking the Greenway, Route 417).

Dick Taylor

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff,
it depends on whether you need to check bags and return a car. If you just have carry on luggage, I would suggest leaving at least two hours ahead of the departure time. That gives you 20 minutes to get to the airport, 15 minutes to return the car, 10 minutes to check the bags, 30 minutes to get through security, 10 minutes to get to the terminal, and you have about 20 minutes left before final boarding or for delays.

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffW said:
...For either being at Disney or Westgate Vacation Villas, can someone give me an idea what times I'd need to leave those places to make either flight?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff --

Last week I flew out of MCO and it took 75 minutes from the time I pulled into the airport to when I arrived at the gate. I had to return a rental car and check luggage prior to departure.

Reference your situation:

It's almost 24 miles (according to Microsoft Maps) from either WDW or Westgate to MCO.

I know we all want to squeeze as much time as possible out of our vacation, but we also know how stressful it is trying to catch a flight at the last minute.

I get subtle amusement watching people "Do the OJ" (Hertz rental ads) and run through airports trying to make their flight.

I find it more relaxing to get to my gate at least 60-90 minutes prior to when boarding begins.

My advise for you: Allot 60 minutes for the drive; 20 minutes to return the rental car; 15 minutes to check luggage; 30 minutes (minimum) to get through security; 15 minutes to get to the gate.

This equates to 2 hours, 20 minutes. I'd probably leave 3 hours prior so I could sit back, have a frozen yogurt, relax in a chair and watch people "do the OJ."

Good Luck,

Jerry

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned, no car rental return, I'll be dropped off at the gate by family members. I was hoping it wouldn't be much longer than 2hrs, which would give me until 3pm (for the 5:15p flight) or 4:45p (for the 6:55p flight).

Thanks.

Jeff